Ems Track And Trace.....what A Joke

guyrkp

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone has come accross this stupid situation before or maybe this is normal thai but im still learning.

Sent some stuff on 'EMS International Registered Post' to my family in the US and also a couple to the UK..............

Ok so I would say these are 2 of, if not the biggest commercial countries in the world. Now one packet didnt get to the US and one didnt get to the UK.

So naturally having sent it ''''registered''', i phoned up Thai post and to my absolute amazement they said ' sorry we dont have records for those countries''..................

I was so taken back that I just assumed that this girl didnt know...but I called back and was told the same thing by someone new.

I cannot beleive that you pay extra for EMS and then they cannot actually track it, they didnt even know what date it left Thailand.............................amazing.

Now I have not got a leg to stand on and cant do anything.

Has anyone had this before and can i do anything or should I just accept that this is Thailand ???

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand your situation. Are you saying that you got an EMS tracking number on these items, and could not get information on their movement at the website (http://track.thailandpost.co.th/trackinter...lt.aspx?lang=en)? I have used this system many times, and have always been able to follow the movement of the items I've sent via the website. It shows it from pickup, through delivery to the postal station here, then the airport, then receipt in the destination country.

Do you still have your reciept with the number on? I would visit the place you sent it and not telephone.

I would recommend only sending EMS from a real post office. The ones you find in Shopping Malls are only agents.

Good luck.

Agree with Pat - never a problem with real post offices.

Edited by pontious

I don't understand your situation. Are you saying that you got an EMS tracking number on these items, and could not get information on their movement at the website (http://track.thailandpost.co.th/trackinter...lt.aspx?lang=en)? I have used this system many times, and have always been able to follow the movement of the items I've sent via the website. It shows it from pickup, through delivery to the postal station here, then the airport, then receipt in the destination country.

Sorry, yes i did try the website first and it has always said ' item not found'

Do you still have your reciept with the number on? I would visit the place you sent it and not telephone.

I would recommend only sending EMS from a real post office. The ones you find in Shopping Malls are only agents.

Good luck.

Agree with Pat - never a problem with real post offices.

Hi,

yes i checked the web and sent it from the post office in soi 13.

I can put one down to being unlucky, but not two packets not working

And if there is no compensation, why bother paying extra ?

Some people say they never leave Soi 13 and are just stolen from there. I have had most delivered, but not all. Sometimes took weeks to get there (to Europe) and I thought they were lost.

Thanks for that info torrenova,

I didnt knnow there wasnt any compensation. youre right, why pay.

So basically what they are saying is you can watch and track your item being lost but cant do anything about it !!!!

luckily i dont really send that many packets abroad but if i did i wouldnt really see value then if there is no compensation.

thanks for the info

As Meatloaf sang, "Two out of Three aint bad"

I am assuming that these packages went out during the holidays? There's a good chance they got lost or stolen during the peak season. Maybe ship before or after Christmas next time? Or use a regular courier like FedEx (to the US) or DHL (to the UK).

On the OP's gripe that they cannot track international shipments; the USPS (that is the government run postal service; not the courier service) in the good old US of A also sells an 'international tracking' package at a markup that also can't track packages once they leave the continental US. So not a TiT issue at all.

I read that there's a 24-hour post and package desk available in the lobby of the Diana Inn now. It's fully sanctioned by the Soi 13 Post Office apparently. Anyone tried it yet? I only go to the main Post Office once in a blue moon to check the PO box and it always seems a zoo in there.

I am assuming that these packages went out during the holidays? There's a good chance they got lost or stolen during the peak season. Maybe ship before or after Christmas next time? Or use a regular courier like FedEx (to the US) or DHL (to the UK).

On the OP's gripe that they cannot track international shipments; the USPS (that is the government run postal service; not the courier service) in the good old US of A also sells an 'international tracking' package at a markup that also can't track packages once they leave the continental US. So not a TiT issue at all.

I read that there's a 24-hour post and package desk available in the lobby of the Diana Inn now. It's fully sanctioned by the Soi 13 Post Office apparently. Anyone tried it yet? I only go to the main Post Office once in a blue moon to check the PO box and it always seems a zoo in there.

Fair point if the US does it aswell but that still doesn't make it right.

They are a post service offering a service for ''international tracking''. If they cannot supply ''international tracking'' then they should not advertise this.

If this is the case and they can only track in Thailand then what use is that................... Wow...' i know it left Thailand', what use is that.

Sorry to big up the UK but with Royal Mail (the best) you can track the mail all the way to pretty much any country. Before I have tracked a packet from the UK to Thailand and even tracked it to the Ratchasima office in Korat through Royal Mail so sorry but it can be done, its just a choice of whether they want to.

I agree, I think I will stick to DHL or FedEx.

Edited by guyrkp

Fair point if the US does it aswell but that still doesn't make it right.

They are a post service offering a service for ''international tracking''. If they cannot supply ''international tracking'' then they should not advertise this.

If this is the case and they can only track in Thailand then what use is that................... Wow...' i know it left Thailand', what use is that.

Sorry to big up the UK but with Royal Mail (the best) you can track the mail all the way to pretty much any country. Before I have tracked a packet from the UK to Thailand and even tracked it to the Ratchasima office in Korat through Royal Mail so sorry but it can be done, its just a choice of whether they want to.

I agree, I think I will stick to DHL or FedEx.

Just a point of information: the USPS has a service called "Global Priority Mail" that tracks the shipment from the time it's dropped off in a US post office to the time it arrives at its destination. Once given your tracking number, you're able not only to track it on the net, but also to get free email notifications on each point that your package stopped, was transferred, etc., right down to your local post office here in LoS. I've used this many times since I've moved here, and have never lost a parcel. My guess that is because of accountability - they can actually tell you who handled it last.

I've found that the packages sent by Global Priority take about 5 to 7 working days, although their target is 10 days, as I recall. A bit more expensive, but well worth the few extra dollars, imho.

Generally tracking systems offered by national postal services end at the point of being sorted at the point of being bagged to leave the country. IE they do not track internationally, due to the lack of an international agreement over fees and technologies. Use UPS TNT etc for mail that carries international tracking, but it costs more.

When you pay for the EMS or Registered Mail you need to get a computerised receipt with the tracking number on it.

The form that you filled in with a tracking number hand written on it has not been entered into the computer system and cannot be tracked.

I have tracked EMS sent from Thailand to departure from Thailand as Cuban says, and then been able to track it in UK as an international incoming parcel using the Post Office website.

Just a point of information: the USPS has a service called "Global Priority Mail" that tracks the shipment from the time it's dropped off in a US post office to the time it arrives at its destination. Once given your tracking number, you're able not only to track it on the net, but also to get free email notifications on each point that your package stopped, was transferred, etc., right down to your local post office here in LoS. I've used this many times since I've moved here, and have never lost a parcel. My guess that is because of accountability - they can actually tell you who handled it last.

I've found that the packages sent by Global Priority take about 5 to 7 working days, although their target is 10 days, as I recall. A bit more expensive, but well worth the few extra dollars, imho.

Absolutely correct. I have used this service several times, and ask everyone sending me packages from the USA to use it. The tracking is outstanding.

In addition, I should point out that, if you get proper EMS service, your package is tracked to the USA receiving post office (usually in San Francisco). You can then enter the EMS number into the USPS.com website, and track it to the final destination. Again, I've done this several times, expecially with important documents, and it works fine.

And I always use a small local "Postal Services" shop here on the "Darkside". Never lost a package or a document yet, in over 3 years.

The office in Ban ampur is great out of 7 incoming & outgoing to the U.S. & 3 within Thailand all made it fine. maybe worth a 15 kilo trip to Ban ampur to send mail only 20 baht by baht bus.

Edited by Beardog

I also have a parcel posted to the Uk on the 24th Dec by Registered express with a tracking number but the tracking service also says Item not Found. So I e-mailed the Thai postal service to ask why and I got a e-mail reply in English telling me that they don't have a tracking service for international mail so the number is useless,I have no idea if my parcel even left Thailand. Well at least they reply to your e-mails.

Regards

Scotsman

Edited by scotsman

It took a long time to send an EMS package to the Philippines last year. I think it was about a month and the internet tracking service is totally useless as it gave no information about the parcel once it had hit Manila.

I would seriously recommend DHL for parcel deliveries. They run an exceptional service here in Thailand and the tracking service is exceptional. I'll never use EMS again.

If you are having EMS sent to you in Thailand from other parts of Asia, it's almost a guarantee that customs will open it and slap a duty on. I've never had this with a DHL delivery.

^ Never say never though. My dad threw in a couple of giveaway type pocket notebooks in a DHL package of correspondence. I had to pay about 800 baht 'duty' on these when I picked up the package at DHL's Thip Plaza office. The official Thai Customs receipt was attached to the package (DHL had paid it already so I reimbursed them). I get about half a dozen DHL packages from home each year and that was a first.

^ Never say never though. My dad threw in a couple of giveaway type pocket notebooks in a DHL package of correspondence. I had to pay about 800 baht 'duty' on these when I picked up the package at DHL's Thip Plaza office. The official Thai Customs receipt was attached to the package (DHL had paid it already so I reimbursed them). I get about half a dozen DHL packages from home each year and that was a first.

True, I shouldn't become overconfident. That should have read "it hasn't happened yet". With EMS it happened every single time...800 baht.

Never had any problems. Even with 55-baht registered parcels, if you use the USPS tracking when sent to the States, you can see that they've been received and actually delivered. I've used that for Ebay sales very recently. The UK system can't manage that though. But the Thai tracking should show you that it went into the bag at the post office.

I also sent a couple of registered parcels to the UK on Christmas Day, and they both arrived in time for New Year. As mentioned though, no tracking once they're out of Thailand.

Honestly, after 20 years or so, I have nothing but praise for the Thai postal service. I usually post from the main Samutprakan post office and Kluay Nam Thai in Bangkok if doing it from work.

Maybe the problems you've had are a local problem?

Edited by KhaoNiaw

Honestly, after 20 years or so, I have nothing but praise for the Thai postal service. I usually post from the main Samutprakan post office and Kluay Nam Thai in Bangkok if doing it from work.

Well, there's one very happy customer!

The problem is their tracking system is a joke and they are slow.

The UK system can't manage that though. But the Thai tracking should show you that it went into the bag at the post office.

I also sent a couple of registered parcels to the UK on Christmas Day, and they both arrived in time for New Year. As mentioned though, no tracking once they're out of Thailand.

Did you try the Post Office website tracking?

I have successfully tracked EMS deliveries from Thailand using it by inputting the tracking number as an incoming international parcel.

I have successfully tracked EMS deliveries from Thailand using it by inputting the tracking number as an incoming international parcel.

Can be a bit hit and miss. :)

I watched the tracking on a recent shipment of goods to Australia. It tracked perfectly the four steps to Suwarnapum outbound & just stopped there. I was informed the goods were allready at the destination and the tracking said they were still at the airport.

Kudos to Thai post on their online pricing.

Everything I calculated online was exactly the same rate when I went to the post office. :D

Can be a bit hit and miss. :)

I watched the tracking on a recent shipment of goods to Australia. It tracked perfectly the four steps to Suwarnapum outbound & just stopped there. I was informed the goods were allready at the destination and the tracking said they were still at the airport.

Kudos to Thai post on their online pricing.

Everything I calculated online was exactly the same rate when I went to the post office. :D

Thai EMS will always track until its out of Thailand

then you need to go to the recipients country postal website to track it inbound

you can see the 158 members here with each countries postal website links

http://www.ems.coop/site/Main.php?Oid=273

then you need to go to the recipients country postal website to track it inbound

A parcel I sent to Australia did track all the way to destination from the Thailand tracking site.

A parcel I sent to Australia did track all the way to destination from the Thailand tracking site.

theres an exception to every rule........

You can track your ems parcels on Thai post website and on local websites ( usps.com and uk post office website )

Ems tracking is ok, but the most stupid thing with Thai post is that you cannot send liquid ! Anyway, I guess that none of these Thai cosmetics companies planed to sell abroad :-) And none of these shxt Thai wine makers...