Tourist Arrivals From China Up By 50 Percent

The number of Chinese tourists visiting Samui has doubled since last year, according to Mr.Vichit Prakobkoson, president of the Thai-Chinese Tourism Relationship Association. He said most of these tourists are drawn to the island by cheap package tours. Tour operators specializing on the Chinese market offer chartered tours to the island at less than Bt10,000 per tourist. The amount, he said, usually takes care of return ticket, meals and hotel accommodation,

Continued here Source Samui Express

agree, Chinese tourist travel are up all over the world as income rises with disposal spending. Places like Hawaii has heavily petitioned the US federal govt to allow the Chinese tour packages to visit. I have also seen Chinese tourist in places such as Saipan (US territory).

I would predict that the Chinese will venture further away from home (i.e. Euro, US, So.AM etc) in coming years.

Also way more Indian tourists on the island and they come in big families. Wonder what they think about Indian food here? :)

More Arabs as well. A small Kebab seller on Chaweng Beach Road would earn really well I guess.

agree, Chinese tourist travel are up all over the world as income rises with disposal spending. Places like Hawaii has heavily petitioned the US federal govt to allow the Chinese tour packages to visit. I have also seen Chinese tourist in places such as Saipan (US territory).

I would predict that the Chinese will venture further away from home (i.e. Euro, US, So.AM etc) in coming years.

Wrong.

In 2008 China inbound tourism to Thailand was down -9,7% versus 2007.

The numbers for the first 3 months in 2009 were even more dramatic; more numbers are not available yet; Thai bureaucracy and such.....

2009:

January -32.44%

February: - 53,41% :D

March: -11.04%

Saipan: my wife (from China) traveled to Saipan already some 8 years ago.

But, that Chinese will travel further and further is correct; more and more Chinese want to see more of the world and why not?

We do the same, for a much longer period than they are doing now.

2009 details: http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...iew&id=3122

2008 details: http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...iew&id=3066

Q: what airline is flying to Samui from China ? :) Bangkok Airways isn't; just Hong Kong.

http://www.bangkokair.com/travel_tools/route-map.php?lang=en

LaoPo

I had a look at the article by the Samui Express.

I find it very hard to believe that those travel companies can fly tourists in 200 seat planes from China to Samui for Euro 209/per person including flight and hotel+meals.

What resort/hotels offer such possibilities ? :)

A flight from China, let's say Guangzhou to Samui is a VERY long flight (4 to 4,5 hours in a small plane)...not to mention Shanghai or even Beijing.

hmmm.....correct me if I'm wrong.

LaoPo

Also way more Indian tourists on the island and they come in big families. Wonder what they think about Indian food here? :)

More Arabs as well. A small Kebab seller on Chaweng Beach Road would earn really well I guess.

I don't think an arab would appreciate those kebabs........but for that matter would anyone unless they were p#ssed out of their brain?

I fill the need here to input based on my ongoing relationship with the chinese travel agencies. Here's what I can tell you

1. The agency here has ongoing deals with a big travel agency in 2 particular cities in china ( not beiijing or shanghai either )

2. Most flights have been operated by china airlines or air china or something similiar

3. When they travel they come in massive groups

4. Because they fly to surat thani airport i'm pretty sure the airport is very happy with the deal considering they make money to. Flying directly from china to koh samui if they got permission from bangkok airways would most definetly push up the price of the ticket.

5. Actually what samui express does not mention is from what i know, these chinese have break down into 2 areas they come to koh samui or they go to phuket by bus from surat thani

6. I do know for a fact on hotels they do take these groups. one hotel in chaweng has 200 in their hotel.

already know more chinese are on the way for chinese new year this has been confirmed

also forgot to mention. The agency in china, china airlines, travel agency here, all 3 are in similiar talks with the phuket airport to try to bring the chinese to phuket directly to.

If though this forum is for chinese arrivals I wouldn't put indians down as a great potential tourist group based on what i know and my own personal experiences.

I fill the need here to input based on my ongoing relationship with the chinese travel agencies. Here's what I can tell you

1. The agency here has ongoing deals with a big travel agency in 2 particular cities in china ( not beiijing or shanghai either )

2. Most flights have been operated by china airlines or air china or something similiar

3. When they travel they come in massive groups

4. Because they fly to surat thani airport i'm pretty sure the airport is very happy with the deal considering they make money to. Flying directly from china to koh samui if they got permission from bangkok airways would most definetly push up the price of the ticket.

5. Actually what samui express does not mention is from what i know, these chinese have break down into 2 areas they come to koh samui or they go to phuket by bus from surat thani

6. I do know for a fact on hotels they do take these groups. one hotel in chaweng has 200 in their hotel.

already know more chinese are on the way for chinese new year this has been confirmed

Thanks! Much appreciated and amazing as well.

Do you know about the 2 cities ? which ones ? The Chinese travel in groups with agencies who have permission to send groups to foreign destinations and also mainly because individual Chinese travelers would be completely lost because most do not speak even a bit of English.

Chinese New Year starts February 14th but many will probably be traveling on the 13th already since that's the most important day (like New Year's Eve in the west).

LaoPo

The numbers for the first 3 months in 2009 were even more dramatic; more numbers are not available yet; Thai bureaucracy and such.....

2009:

January -32.44%

February: - 53,41% :)

LaoPo

march 2009 is very old data, maybe they do not release new data becouse they are worse.....

international arrivals is the best reliable way to track real turists...

I don't think an arab would appreciate those kebabs........but for that matter would anyone unless they were p#ssed out of their brain?

You are wrong. Have you never been in South Pattaya at the Arabic places?

2009:

January -32.44%

February: - 53,41% :)

LaoPo

march 2009 is very old data, maybe they do not release new data becouse they are worse.....

international arrivals is the best reliable way to track real turists...

I know it's old but that's the latest they supply.

It IS International Tourist Arrivals by Nationality in 2009; first three months.

http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...iew&id=3122

LaoPo