African Nations Cup

mrbojangles

Not good at all this.

From skysports:-

African Nations to go ahead

CAF defiant despite deadly gun attack

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed the African Cup of Nations will be staged as planned, despite Friday's deadly attack on the Togo team bus which killed the driver and left nine others wounded.

Togo's team bus was set upon by gunmen as they crossed the border from Congo-Brazzaville to the troubled province of Cabinda, with two players shot in the attack.

The armed front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (FLEC) have claimed responsibility for the attack, which has cast doubts over whether the tournament will go ahead.

Souleymane Habuba, CAF's communications director, insisted that while his sympathies lied with the Togolese national side, the tournament would take place as planned.

"Our great concern is for the players, that's our key priority, but the championship goes ahead," he said.

"We need to know all the facts about what's happening on the ground, we haven't got them all yet. We can't give a full reaction from reports that we have got from the media."

Habuba went on to question why Togo, in contrast to the other 15 teams making their way to Angola for the tournament, had elected to travel by road rather than flying.

"CAF's regulations are quite clear, teams are required to travel by air, not road," he continued.

"We had a meeting of all the teams this morning, or at least almost all of them - Togo didn't show up, and it was only later on Friday afternoon that we heard via information from the media that they had been the victims of an attack.

"But at no point were we told they were travelling by road."

Fifa also released a statement speaking of their concern about the attack.

"FIFA and its President, Joseph S. Blatter, are deeply moved by today's incidents which affected Togo's national team, to whom they express their utmost sympathy," said the statement.

"FIFA is in touch with the African Football Confederation (CAF) and its President, Issa Hayatou, from which it expects a full report on the situation."

Not good at all BJ, you're right but not surprising either..

I know for a fact that the 1,000THB per Week that i am currently saving will be MUCH better spent in Brazil 2014 instead of ZA 2010 & i don't care what the reputation is of Rio etc, Africa is just an accident waiting to happen next Summer, i'm convinced of it..

I always questioned friends in SA whether they really think the country can handle security at such a high profile event

they seem to think so

I dont know...the stories I hear about what happens on a daily basis is very frightening

sad about the Togo team, but if they do carry on then thats a big spirit from them and my applause goes out to all with so much courage.

Can't really say i blame them.

Statement from the Man City website :- http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2010/...ome-from-Angola

Adebayor returning home from Angola

Togo has pulled out of the Africa Cup of Nations after their team bus came under gunfire in Angola.

City star Emmanuel Adebayor, who is captain of the Togo side, was unharmed in the ambush and he and his team-mates met this morning before deciding that they wished to pull out of the tournament.

Their first game in the tournament had been scheduled to take place on Monday against Ghana, but they are now heading home to their families.

Two players were shot and injured in the attack in the northern province of Cabinda, and the coach driver was killed. Seven others were wounded.

Organisers have so far insisted the tournament will go ahead.

The Club is in regular contact with Emmanuel, his advisors and the English Football Association. It has been made clear by manager Roberto Mancini and senior officials that Emmanuel will now be given as much time as he needs to recover from the horrific attack.

The striker, who has admitted his state of shock, said before leaving the tournament that he ‘felt lucky to be alive’.

We will bring you more information as and when we get it.

I always questioned friends in SA whether they really think the country can handle security at such a high profile event

they seem to think so

I dont know...the stories I hear about what happens on a daily basis is very frightening

sad about the Togo team, but if they do carry on then thats a big spirit from them and my applause goes out to all with so much courage.

Funny you should say that Mig, but some of my friends from South Africa have a totally opposite view. To be honest, the hosting of the World Cup was more based on politics rather than realism, and I think that Africa as a whole at present still doesn't have the infrastructure and stability to cope with such a large tournament. Whilst SA has hosted Cricket and Rugby World Cups these pale into insignificance in terms of size and exposure. I'd have much rather FIFA had waited a little longer and made sure that when an African nation was ready to host then it would be awarded to it on merit. I have serious misgivings about this coming years WC, and whilst this incident was not in SA, it certainly causes a few worries. SA is still a very lawless country, regardless of whatever spin the politicians churn out.

madness this is. bodes well for this year's world cup too. RIP the poor driver.

Looks like its not just the driver who died now.

Togo withdraw from ANC as death toll increases

By Soccernet staff

January 9, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Togo have withdrawn from the African Nations Cup in Angola following the machine gun attack on their team bus on Friday, with the death toll now understood to have risen to three.

GettyImages

Kodjovi Obilale ® waving to fans after Togo's 2006 World Cup match against France

• Prem bosses want cancellation

• Carter: Attack did irreparable damage

• Paper round: Big shadow over ANC

The team bus was attacked by rebels after crossing the border from the Democratic Republic of Congo into the Angolan enclave of Cabinda ahead of the tournament.

There have been conflicting reports about the identity of those shot, but Togo assistant coach Abalo Amelete and a spokesperson, Stanislas Ocloo, have died along the bus driver; while the condition of goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale, who was reported dead earlier, is unclear.

Kodjo Samlan, a Confederation of African Football (CAF) official, confirmed that Ocloo and Amnalate had died. "Communications chief Stanislas Ocloo and assistant coach Abalo Amnalete died at four o'clock this morning," he said.

Confusion came as striker Jonathan Ayite confirmed that Obilale had also been killed, telling French radio station RMC: "He (Obilale) is dead and even if you bring the president and even (Barack) Obama himself, we're leaving immediately. We're going back home. Ghana and the Ivory Coast are in solidarity with us.''

But a statement from Obilale's club, French team GSI Pontivy, read: ''According to news given by coach Alain Le Dour and GSI Pontivy president Philippe Le Mestre, Kodjovi Obilale is not dead, despite the news reported on the internet, radio and television, and has been moved to South Africa.''

Defender Serge Akakpo, who plays his club football in Romania, was confirmed by his club last night as the other player shot in the attack. Reports in France suggested early on Saturday that the players had taken the decision not to take part in the competition, which starts on Sunday, and midfielder Alaixys Romao later confirmed they had withdrawn.

"We're waiting for the plane to return to Lome," the Grenoble player told L'Equipe. "We're also talking to the other teams in our group to try to convince them to boycott the competition, too."

A statement on Manchester City's website also stated that Emmanuel Adebayor and his team-mates were returning to their clubs.

It read: "Togo has pulled out of the Africa Cup of Nations after their team bus came under gunfire in Angola. City star Emmanuel Adebayor, who is captain of the Togo side, was unharmed in the ambush and he and his team-mates met this morning before deciding that they wished to pull out of the tournament.

"Their first game in the tournament had been scheduled to take place on Monday against Ghana, but they are now heading home to their families. Two players were shot and injured in the attack in the northern province of Cabinda, and the coach driver was killed. Seven others were wounded. Organisers have so far insisted the tournament will go ahead.

"The club is in regular contact with Emmanuel, his advisors and the English Football Association. It has been made clear by manager Roberto Mancini and senior officials that Emmanuel will now be given as much time as he needs to recover from the horrific attack."

Coach Hubert Velud had earlier claimed the authorities should seriously consider whether to call off the tournament after the attack. Angola insist their country is committed to hosting a secure tournament and said they would step up security.

Officials are set to hold a meeting with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) on Saturday and Velud believes the future of the competition should be called into question.

"We can at least pose ourselves that question," Velud told French radio station RMC on Saturday morning. "It's an act of barbarism while we are here to celebrate African football.

"We left the hospital a short time ago to come to the centre for the teams in the competition. We stayed in the hospital a long time so that we could be very united. In these situations, you become a bit paranoid, you doubt everything. We don't feel that the authorities are taking this very seriously.

"I don't mean that they want to hush up the matter, but almost. What will happen I don't know. We will have a meeting with the players and technical staff to take a decision.''

This whole tragic event could have been avoided if some security commonsense had been used,. The team should NEVER be travelling through this part of the world in a bus. You are a sitting duck as was exposed in this attack and the recent attack in India on a cricket team. With so many light aircraft available the persons responsible for security should have a real good look at themselves.

Yeah I think Togo should withdraw.

Too dangerous by far. Why people want them to stay on god knows. If Angola cannot provide proper security then they should not be hosting tournaments.

IT seems to me that a big mistake was made by the Angolans in sheduling matches in that particular region which is only a enclave of Angola,when it was known to be the subject of agitation for amalgamation with Congo.

A very African Match to start it off, Angola 4-0 up with 11 mins to go against Mali, finishes 4-4 & THAT is a HUGE reason why i will go to the Grave believing an African Nation will never win a World Cup, because overall they don't have the discipline as a complete Team to win a World Cup Tournament, fantastic entertainment it was though.. :)

..... The team should NEVER be travelling through this part of the world in a bus.

........With so many light aircraft available the persons responsible for security should have a real good look at themselves.

I totally agree. As much as the attackers are majorly to blame for such a misfortune, it is a shame to know that a strong and well respected team like Togo, bearing high expectations from their fans, would choose to travel by road. It is even more salt to injury to think that the Togo Football Federation/Authorities knew about these poor travel plans to drive into such an unstable region -Cabinda. Where there is oil, there's always trouble.

A very African Match to start it off, Angola 4-0 up with 11 mins to go against Mali, finishes 4-4 & THAT is a HUGE reason why i will go to the Grave believing an African Nation will never win a World Cup, because overall they don't have the discipline as a complete Team to win a World Cup Tournament, fantastic entertainment it was though.. :)

You had better go to the grave pretty soon Msingh and I sure hope you're old enough to depart. Times are changing. As much as football is still a foreign sport in African grounds, the poor people are doing their best despite their meagre returns. The current high and commanding presence of brilliant African players in European leagues should be an indicator enough to lead you to the grave rather early.

That having been said, the game, I agree, was very entertaining.

It is sad that Togo had to withdraw from the tournament. But then it was the logical thing to do after such a horrible mistake.

..... The team should NEVER be travelling through this part of the world in a bus.

........With so many light aircraft available the persons responsible for security should have a real good look at themselves.

I totally agree. As much as the attackers are majorly to blame for such a misfortune, it is a shame to know that a strong and well respected team like Togo, bearing high expectations from their fans, would choose to travel by road. It is even more salt to injury to think that the Togo Football Federation/Authorities knew about these poor travel plans to drive into such an unstable region -Cabinda. Where there is oil, there's always trouble.

You had better go to the grave pretty soon Msingh and I sure hope you're old enough to depart. Times are changing. As much as football is still a foreign sport in African grounds, the poor people are doing their best despite their meagre returns. The current high and commanding presence of brilliant African players in European leagues should be an indicator enough to lead you to the grave rather early.

It is sad that Togo had to withdraw from the tournament. But then it was the logical thing to do after such a horrible mistake.

No chance, i watched IC V BF last night & was appaled, it was on a Par with Sunday League in East London overall..

You have the likes of Drogba, Kalou & the 2 x Toure's playing with Players who look like they've never played the Game before.

I have NEVER seen a GK kick the Ball out of play as much in one Game as the BF GK did, it was bordering on obscene..

I have never seen Teams be so defensively naive as i do when i watch African Football, sorry i'm not a Fan personally & i'm alive & kicking.

Ist game ive seen of the a. c. and it was the replay of the ivory coast v Burkina faso. As you say mr singh there was some defensive naïvety, but that can be coached out reasonably easily. But what athletes and generally the standard of football was impressive, not Champions league standard, but good honest footie. But I wonder if people who judge everything by that criteria are missing out on a lot from football. Most players on show could slot into a championship squad, the strength of the players alone would hold them in good steed . If I were a coach needing players,ide be over their scouting players that play for smaller teams such as Burkina faso for sure. By the way out of all the talent on show thought that barring drogba the prem and the Spanish boys were disappointing esp ya ya toure to me he looked totally out of shape and yards of the pace. but hey what do I know.

Most players on show could slot into a championship squad, the strength of the players alone would hold them in good steed . If I were a coach needing players,ide be over their scouting players that play for smaller teams such as Burkina faso for sure.

I reckon with the new rules coming out at the end of the season, players from the African Nations will be getting more scarce in English Football. With tighter restrictions on the numbers of foreigners, what team would want to waste one of those spaces on a player who's going to dissapear for over a month, bang in the middle of the season. The player would have to be special and not just ordinary IMO.

Ist game ive seen of the a. c. and it was the replay of the ivory coast v Burkina faso. As you say mr singh there was some defensive naïvety, but that can be coached out reasonably easily. But what athletes and generally the standard of football was impressive, not Champions league standard, but good honest footie. But I wonder if people who judge everything by that criteria are missing out on a lot from football. Most players on show could slot into a championship squad, the strength of the players alone would hold them in good steed . If I were a coach needing players,ide be over their scouting players that play for smaller teams such as Burkina faso for sure. By the way out of all the talent on show thought that barring drogba the prem and the Spanish boys were disappointing esp ya ya toure to me he looked totally out of shape and yards of the pace. but hey what do I know.

How many times do we hear the shout of " Great Athlete " with African Players overall though, it's as if just because they are good athlete's, their ( & i use that sparringly & mean overall with African Players, the majority ) generally appaling first touch is forgotton about.

Sorry, not for me & i thought the standard of Football was poor..

How many times do we hear the shout of " Great Athlete " with African Players overall though, it's as if just because they are good athlete's, their ( & i use that sparringly & mean overall with African Players, the majority ) generally appaling first touch is forgotton about.

Sorry, not for me & i thought the standard of Football was poor..

It took 9mths to agree on something, then 7 hrs 41 mins 40 secs to disagree on something :)

I always find that watching a competition without your team in it, one tends to give it harsh point of view. with your team in it they can can be crap, but the excitement of the comp' rides over everything else. Bearing that in mind , mr s,What standard football do you watch? premiership, champions league and european internationals I presume. Admitidly the Africans cup is not up to European rival comps standards, but surely football is bigger than just those. Sure the a.c its has it faults, but the teams play for their nations with no less passion, or commitment than their European rivals If your sole view point is based on european comps best stay away As im sure you will be disapointed, but im sure equally as much that you will miss more and more great entertainment as the comp heats up.

Edited by rijit

I always find that watching a competition without your team in it, one tends to give it harsh point of view. with your team in it they can can be crap, but the excitement of the comp' rides over everything else. Bearing that in mind , mr s,What standard football do you watch? premiership, champions league and european internationals I presume. Admitidly the Africans cup is not up to European rival comps standards, but surely football is bigger than just those. Sure the a.c its has it faults, but the teams play for their nations with no less passion, or commitment than their European rivals If your sole view point is based on european comps best stay away As im sure you will be disapointed, but im sure equally as much that you will miss more and more great entertainment as the comp heats up.

Nope, you're back to talking nonsense again unfortunately..:)

& your insinuation is WAY off the mark, i'm a West Ham Supporter riijt, why on Earth would you insinuate that the only Football i watch is Champions League & the highest Level ??

I'm a little baffled at that to be honest & to effectively call me one of these " new breed of SKY TV Football Fans " has got me a little lost for words but there we go..

But going back to my original & only point i'm making on the African Nations, you agreed with it yourself anyway in what i highlighted, the standard of Football is sh8t, ok you might have no less Passion etc but you can go & watch a Game over Hackney Marshes & you'd seen that same passion, wouldn't mean that it's decent or good Football though..

I've read over your Post about half a dozen times now & i like you riijt including your dellusion, but you don't half right some tripe at times & that post is certainly no different.. :D

No one labeled you one of those new fangled sky viewers, what ever they are? barring your self. what im trying to say is that there is football life outside the prem, and some good football to be watched, just dont be to hard on it, its no good comparing it to the prem or the champs league, forget them, and you never know you may actually enjoy it.

No one labeled you one of those new fangled sky viewers, what ever they are? barring your self. what im trying to say is that there is football life outside the prem, and some good football to be watched, just dont be to hard on it, its no good comparing it to the prem or the champs league, forget them, and you never know you may actually enjoy it.

1 ) No but you insinuated it, like i said you did.

2 ) I'm not & i never did though riijt..

Another classic last night that i had the misfortune to watch..

Algeria V Mali, not a shot on target until the Goal, Algeria score with a Free Kick floated in that Mali didn't seem to have the first idea how to defend, & not a great deal after that at all for the next hour or so, superb..

& as the great Paul Weller once sang, that's entertainment.. :)

No chance, i watched IC V BF last night & was appaled, it was on a Par with Sunday League in East London overall..

You have the likes of Drogba, Kalou & the 2 x Toure's playing with Players who look like they've never played the Game before.

I have NEVER seen a GK kick the Ball out of play as much in one Game as the BF GK did, it was bordering on obscene..

I have never seen Teams be so defensively naive as i do when i watch African Football, sorry i'm not a Fan personally & i'm alive & kicking.

Call me skeptical, but the tournament is bent IMO!!

4-0 up, ends 4-4!!! <deleted>!!

Ivory Coast draw 0-0, with a team I have never even heard of. (They battered the same team previously 5-0!)

Tonights game should be a good game, Ivory Coast v Ghana.

I think you will see a good game, with Ivory Coast showing that they ARE a good team. But I think there will be some ridiculous results along the way.

I do believe that Africa will produce a world cup winning team within the next 2 or 3 world cups. They have too many talented players.

But corruption rules over there!!