Name That Salad....

coolxten

There are these salads I've only seen in Chiang Mai. I've seen them sold at the Sanpakoi Market, and at the airport plaza mall where they have those food stands in front of McD. The salads are sold in clear acetate bags and has iceberg lettuce; corn; cooked taro, squash and oats; shredded carrots, and sometimes eggs and tomatoes. Nothing special except the dressing is heavenly. There are two kinds I've yellow and white dressing (tied up in a bag along with the salad). The yellow is tangy, and taste a bit like mustard, although I'm not sure if there is mustard in it. The white dressing taste a little milky and sweet, maybe made from condensed milk.

Anyways, I was wondering if there is a specific Thai name for this salad, as I would like to know if I can get it back home in North America - my city sometimes holds Thai food gatherings and I'd like to ask for it by name. I also want to know what's in it, and if it's healthy (most likely only the yellow) to eat regularly (or everyday!).

I hope someone knows what I'm talking about....

Thanks

Edited by coolxten

Cool Texan I bet you are in the MINORITY of Farang who actually enjoy this take on the Western salad by the Thais. That's all it is. Maybe they call it 'Salat Pak' (Veg Salad), but there's no real name for it. I get to missing salads over here like most do, but find the Thai version very not to my satisfaction n go about making my own. The dressings you're loving are mayo based and heaped up with sugar. Maybe it suits Texan tastes or something ?.... most peculiar. If you enjoy it, more power to you. I stick with local salads (Yam and Somtam) around town, then do Western ones with homemade vinaigrettes dans le maison. Yumm!

If you wanna have a go at some more THai salad, find Talaat Tanin up Chang Phuak, past the Novotel and on your left. At the back of the big covered food vending area is a big salad bar where you pick and build your own. Open during your basic daytime thru early evening hours. And giant big vats of that sweet dressing too. It works out pretty cheap pricewise as you pay by the kit (100 grams) - though I forget the price per kit since it's been a few yrs since I indulged.

Agreed with RealThaiDeal and others.. Though when it comes to mayo, the Best Food brand is actually the decent one with the least amount of sugar. (though perhaps they make multiple varieties). And it's one of the most expensive. The cheaper brands all are a lot sweeter. Read the label and check for the percentage of sugar in it, you'll notice that the Best Foods mayo has the least sugar in it, and actually tastes like proper mayo.

(You'd have to read Thai to do this.. Sugar is น้ำตาล )

Agreed with RealThaiDeal and others.. Though when it comes to mayo, the Best Food brand is actually the decent one with the least amount of sugar. (though perhaps they make multiple varieties). And it's one of the most expensive. The cheaper brands all are a lot sweeter. Read the label and check for the percentage of sugar in it, you'll notice that the Best Foods mayo has the least sugar in it, and actually tastes like proper mayo.

(You'd have to read Thai to do this.. Sugar is น้ำตาล )

RE WINNIE'S SUGGESTION ON BEST FOODS: I make my own dressing and screwed up one time because I just grabbed the Best Foods bag and didn't read the label as Winnie suggests. They make a mayo/salad dressing that (guessing on percentages to make a point) is 30% sugar. The plain ole good mayo is only 5% or so but in a bag that looks almost the same. So be sure and check the contents if you want the good stuff.

A lot of the bags have Salad Cream in English; that is what the OP likes. The Thai mixed greens salads are OK, the salad cream is.........just edible for my taste.

i find decent salads in different restaurants now. Lots of restaurants have good Ceasar salads (e.g., Pasta Cafe, Mandarin Oriental); Tuskers now has a large excellent chicken bacon salad with a very good house vinaigrette.

RE MAYO: I personally splurge and buy the imported Kraft mayo for sandwiches. I sort of like the Thai Best Foods on sandwiches, but it just doesn't quite match the Kraft taste (which is what I grew up with).

Edited by noise