How To Transfer A Friend's Bike Into My Name

tropo

A friend is giving me his scooter which he bought last year. I need to transfer this scooter into my name. He's coming over from Australia for only a few days next week and will be entering on a 30 day visa exempt stamp. I'm on a tourist visa.

Will we both have to get residency certificates at the immigration office?

Can my friend get a residency certificate even though he'll be here on a 30 day visa exempt entry?

The only way to deal with this is to go to your local transport department and talk to them.

Some offices are more friendly towards tourist visas and some, including mine, will not allow you to transfer to your name based on a tourist visa.

You can always leave it in your friend's name and continue to pay the tax and insurance, which you can do all over Thailand.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Assume it's in your friend's name? You can transfer title at the local admin office for that but you won't get title on a tourist visa. Anyway... why bother? If you plan to keep the bike for a long time just get the registration book from your friend and pay the annual fee for tag and insurance. You don't need to own it to do that.

Assume it's in your friend's name? You can transfer title at the local admin office for that but you won't get title on a tourist visa. Anyway... why bother? If you plan to keep the bike for a long time just get the registration book from your friend and pay the annual fee for tag and insurance. You don't need to own it to do that.

I currently have a title for another bike which I got while on a tourist visa. My friend's bike is in his name too as he did that on a tourist visa in 2008. That was easily done by going down to the immigration office and getting a certificate. I'm just not sure if my friend can get one on a 30 day exempt entry.

I want it in my name so I can sell it. He owes me money and this is payment.

Edited by tropo

You can also use and agent to handle it if you wish

Road Machine on 3rd Road (next to the fire station and across from The Village housing complex) can get it done and will charge a bit of an administration fee for doing so

Will they need our residency certificates?

You can also use and agent to handle it if you wish

Road Machine on 3rd Road (next to the fire station and across from The Village housing complex) can get it done and will charge a bit of an administration fee for doing so

Will they need our residency certificates?

Most likely as that is a requirement AFAIK , check in there ask for Chadtree he speaks English and can possibly help.

So you got title from the dealer with just a tourist visa? OK. News to me.

Can't say for sure but I would bet you need same docs as for anual extension to do a transfer. Good luck!

And I would be interested to know how this turns out for you.

Cheers

Can't say for sure but I would bet you need same docs as for anual extension to do a transfer. Good luck!

Cheers

Yes, it was no problem with a tourist visa. I wish I had know this 2 years earlier as I was renting a bike under the mistaken belief that I couldn't buy a bike in my name.

Unless I hear something different, I'll head down to immigration with my mate and see what happens. My bike dealer will take care of the paperwork after that.

Cheers

Yes, it was no problem with a tourist visa. I wish I had know this 2 years earlier as I was renting a bike under the mistaken belief that I couldn't buy a bike in my name.

Unless I hear something different, I'll head down to immigration with my mate and see what happens. My bike dealer will take care of the paperwork after that.

You can get a "Certificate of Residence" on any kind of visa or permit to stay, and it will be valid as long as your permit to stay.

Some land transport departments require certificate from both seller and buyer, some only from buyer.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Cheers

problem here is what address did you give as your residence, you must have an address to put on the document

Even a hotel address will do, verified by a bill if necessary. Just explain to Immigration what you need, pay the fee, wait a day, and there should be no problem.

And I can also recommend Chattri, whom I have known for some 20 years; if you have a problem selling it he or his brother Pipat, further up the road who deals more with scooters, may either sell it for you or buy it to re-sell.

Even a hotel address will do, verified by a bill if necessary. Just explain to Immigration what you need, pay the fee, wait a day, and there should be no problem.

And I can also recommend Chattri, whom I have known for some 20 years; if you have a problem selling it he or his brother Pipat, further up the road who deals more with scooters, may either sell it for you or buy it to re-sell.

Phuket are being difficult.. Lease and Owners ID and tabien baan.