Bored In Bangkok

HalfSquat

I've been living in Bangkok for about 4-5 months now and I hate to admit it but I feel a bit bored here.

I'm sure it is just my lack of imagination so hopefully you can help me out and give me some ideas of things to do!

I feel I've done most of the touristy things listed in the Lonely Planet and similar guides.

I've stayed in tonight and last night. I'm not too bothered about that as not too keen on going out drinking all the time but not sure what else to do of an evening or weekend daytime apart from shopping :)

I'm going to try and join a few sports clubs/classes next week and have some Thai lessons booked so that should keep me busy.

If you have any pointers of things to do in the day or night then please list them here.

Thanks.

Maybe it is just not your scene! time to think of moving outside of the city but maybe with your work you are unable to do this?

I can only take it in small doses as i find it to much,but i am not a living in the city person and could never live in BKK now.

By the sound of it you are going to be busy studying Thai for a while so that should keep you occupied...you could always do voluntry work just to meet new people and make friends that way!

When i stayed in BKK i found that meeting people and making friends quite difficult unless you wanted to get hammered all the time around suk! and ended up with all sorts of "friends" and "companions" i soon understood it was not my kind of place.But really you need to tread carefully and look for like minded people you can share your freetime with other than drinking and whatever else one can get up to in the city of angels :D

You say you have only been in BKK for 4/5 months so it it could be your lack of imagination also!!

just kidding :)

I hope it works out ok for you! good luck.

Thanks. We are tied here due to work so its Bangkok for now.

I lived in London before so am happy in the city but Bangkok is like London x 10 when it comes to city-ness.

Don't think I've seen a Bangkok Time Out magazine.

I have been in Bangkok over a year and not single moment could I imagine myself bored in here. There are too many things to do and even more places to visit. Great places within a reasonable distance to travel in length and time. What do you like to do? Are you a fan of sports? Art? Music? Google is your friend in here :)

Half Squat

I remember you doing your TEFLA course and going to BKK looking for a teaching Job.

Did you get the job and surely this is keeping you busy??

Im sure things will improve and remember its a completly diffrent world to London going to take time!!!

Im currently in London and I can assure you this place can be lonely. Im looking to move out there this year but it will be Hua Hin. Completly different from BKK

Cheers

The Guru guide can be useful as well. I think the reoccurring problem is that it is harder to find a suitable peer group here than when you are in your home country. You can either keep trying in the farang-based areas, or try finding Thai friends through your job or lessons.

Thanks. We are tied here due to work so its Bangkok for now.

I lived in London before so am happy in the city but Bangkok is like London x 10 when it comes to city-ness.

Don't think I've seen a Bangkok Time Out magazine.

I am in a similar boat mate, thing is I have moved at approximately 5 year periods starting in 99' from LDN UK to DC USA to Wgtn NZ to BKK Thailand and I got/get bored in all of em' that leads me to an unpleasant conclusion.....I must be boring :) !! I must try harder to do interesting things. Good luck to ya' PS I am now thinking about completing the circle and going back to the UK.

Only two things to do in Bangkok -

1. drink beer

2. play pool

That's it.

This ofcourse is rubbish! There has been a very good thread on "things to see in Bangkok" that you should read. There were some very well informed posts as i remember.

What about just chill out?

When you are at home in your home country, do you always have to go sightseeing and visit different places?

Why not just sit down in your home, relax, have a cup of coffee, listen to your favorite music, read a good book.

1. drink beer

2. play pool

That's it.

This ofcourse is rubbish! There has been a very good thread on "things to see in Bangkok" that you should read. There were some very well informed posts as i remember.

Quite right obviously here's my suggestions: Go out and eat some Thai food. If you have a friend try out a Thai buffet Barbeque (great food and not expensive) Go for a Thai massage nothing dodgy just a regular massage. Join a gym working out can make you feel happy. Get a good internet connection and surf the net. Get a good TV service and watch tv. Go to the movies (Bangers has all of the latest movies) Make some friends, maybe move to an apartment that has a few other Farang living there, if not try some Thai friends (contrary to most TV posters beliefs they are not all bad) Teach a bit of English, you will get to meet a lot of new people and you know they won't just be out for your money. I used to think the same as you but then I remember being bored in the UK as well as here. The difference is that in the UK I would have to consider the weather when considering what to do (its snowing there now)I think its a case of 'up to you' not to be bored. Remember what Winnie the Pooh said 'Only boring people get bored'

1. drink beer

2. play pool

That's it.

Quite right obviously here's my suggestions: Go out and eat some Thai food. If you have a friend try out a Thai buffet Barbeque (great food and not expensive) Go for a Thai massage nothing dodgy just a regular massage. Join a gym working out can make you feel happy. Get a good internet connection and surf the net. Get a good TV service and watch tv. Go to the movies (Bangers has all of the latest movies) Make some friends, maybe move to an apartment that has a few other Farang living there, if not try some Thai friends (contrary to most TV posters beliefs they are not all bad) Teach a bit of English, you will get to meet a lot of new people and you know they won't just be out for your money. I used to think the same as you but then I remember being bored in the UK as well as here. The difference is that in the UK I would have to consider the weather when considering what to do (its snowing there now)I think its a case of 'up to you' not to be bored. Remember what Winnie the Pooh said 'Only boring people get bored'

Tried all those, still stick to beer and pool.

When you are at home in your home country, do you always have to go sightseeing and visit different places?

Why not just sit down in your home, relax, have a cup of coffee, listen to your favorite music, read a good book.

Who does that in Bangkok? I maybe stayed in once in a year! Books are expensive and of limited range. The TVs unwatchable. Internet connections ropey. Apartments are often noisey.

You are right about sightseeing etc - you're only going to do that once.

So beer and pool it remains.

Who does that in Bangkok? I maybe stayed in once in a year! Books are expensive and of limited range. The TVs unwatchable. Internet connections ropey. Apartments are often noisey.

You are right about sightseeing etc - you're only going to do that once.

:) ^^

OP, you wouldn't last 2 minutes on Samui i can assure you seeing as you think BKK's boring...

I think you are right about finding some peers. I'm happy on my own most of the time but on weekend evenings I feel like I should be out and about having fun like back home.

I've been teaching for the past few months and also volunteering but nothing has come of either socially.

I do read a lot, go to the gym, watch tv/movies/sport and surf and work online so I do have things to do to entertain myself at home.

There are also lots of farangs in my apartment 'complex'.

Missing the social aspect I guess hence the feelings of boredom...

Samuit doesn't sound so bad. If you are in a quiet place it is not so bad, its when you know lots is going on around you but you're not quite sure what!

I think you are right about finding some peers. I'm happy on my own most of the time but on weekend evenings I feel like I should be out and about having fun like back home.

I've been teaching for the past few months and also volunteering but nothing has come of either socially.

I do read a lot, go to the gym, watch tv/movies/sport and surf and work online so I do have things to do to entertain myself at home.

Samuit doesn't sound so bad. If you are in a quiet place it is not so bad, its when you know lots is going on around you but you're not quite sure what!

Then as i said, you wouldn't last 2 minutes here..

6 Years now & it's absolutely killing me..

Life's what you make it, for sure, but in this place there is nothing to do, especially after being here now for 6 Years..

1. drink beer

2. play pool

That's it.

Tried all those, still stick to beer and pool.

I didnt say there was anything wrong with beer and pool but I find it does become 'same same' if you do it all the time and its also a very expensive way to pass the time.

I didnt say there was anything wrong with beer and pool but I find it does become 'same same' if you do it all the time and its also a very expensive way to pass the time.

Not necessarily - depends how good you are. I've had many night's entertainment for 20b - hold the table for a couple of hours, play the stiffs for drinks, avoid the BG scowls when you beat them easily. :)

There are places to play in the afternoon for free (eg country road, soi cowboy, 70b beer lao, proper rules as well).

Simples.

I lived in BKK for 12 years (now upcountry) but then I was working. Anyway... when I did have time and feeling bored, I liked to to get on a bus and then get off wherever and just go walking down sois that I never been before. Bangkok is full of neat places that aren't in any tourist books: restaurant, bars, neighborhood parties that anybody can join, on and on. Try it, you'll like it!

Cheers

Life's what you make it, for sure, but in this place there is nothing to do, especially after being here now for 6 Years..

I could'nt agree more :)

I could'nt agree more :D

What about the saying "life might not be a party everyday but that doesn't mean you have to stop dancing"

:D the problem for me is that i don't like dancing :)

Who does that in Bangkok?

I certainly do, and probably other people who stay here long term

I maybe stayed in once in a year! Books are expensive and of limited range. The TVs unwatchable. Internet connections ropey. Apartments are often noisey.

About books, try the internet!

About TV, i never suggested watching TV, Thai TV is as crappy as american TV.

Up to you!

Wow, bored in a city with 7-8 million people?

That's a first.

:)

I read somewhere a city is a place where a lot of people are lonely together.

But I do not believe this apply for Thailand and her people.

Hook up with some Thais (befriend your neighbours/colleagues), and you will never ever be bored again.

My Thai friends seem to always be doing something.

I could'nt agree more :D

What about the saying "life might not be a party everyday but that doesn't mean you have to stop dancing"

:D the problem for me is that i don't like dancing :)

Keep it schtum you or you'll have me & Mr Carmine knocking on your lovely CM Door asking to doss on your Sofa for a couple of weeks.. :D