The Significance Of The Rooster In The Thai Temple

DrTom

I recently visited a temple north of Bangkok. The rooster was uniquely positioned in one part of the temple, and I was told that the significance related to success in the commercial world. Can anyone provide me with a reference where I can learn more about the significance of the rooster in the Thai temple?

Thanks for asking this. I have often wondered myself, although more because of upcountry temples than in Bangkok.

Although I don't recall which temple, there was one north of Ayutthaya where symbols of the rooster were particularly prominent.

Thanks for asking this. I have often wondered myself, although more because of upcountry temples than in Bangkok.

Although I don't recall which temple, there was one north of Ayutthaya where symbols of the rooster were particularly prominent.

I was visiting Wat Prasittihiwet in Nakhon Nayok. It is quite an impessive temple complex.

just a thought out of the box, the Rooster is a Chinese zodiac (12 animals represents Chinese zodiac) therefore

Temples keep or raises roosters in their temple grounds.

I was told that the rooster was up early in the morning, and was a symbol for "getting up early and working hard." Perhaps it is indeed that simple?

I think you're jumping to a conclusion here that may be true in some places but not others.

As I vaguely remember my visit to the temple in Pa Mok, where the rooster figure was prominent, it was not about the zodiac, but rather something about someone prominent who raised some type of chicken...perhaps for cock fighting?

The popularity of the rooster at temples is not because of the Chinese zodiac. It's because the future King Naresuan was heavily into cock fighting when he was a prisoner in Burma. The Naresuan monument in Ayutthaya has hundreds (possibly thousands) of the creatures.

• 2 weeks later...
The popularity of the rooster at temples is not because of the Chinese zodiac. It's because the future King Naresuan was heavily into cock fighting when he was a prisoner in Burma. The Naresuan monument in Ayutthaya has hundreds (possibly thousands) of the creatures.

Thank you for that explanation. I will reasearch in my history book. Are you aware of any significance other than a historical significance? That is, how is the rooster viewed in contemporary Thailand?