20 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

Never.

Cash is King....

Yea, I'm a cash guy also.  Mainly because I don't want any apps on my phone, that I don't need.   And for Immigration purposes, like to keep my bank account with as few deposits/withdrawals as possible.  Which now is 12 deposits a year, and 3 or 4 withdrawals.   Keeps my paperwork down.

Transferring funds for every purchase would add about 5-10 transactions a month.   Wife uses her account for transfers.   My shopping is all cash.

I do notice, people are getting better at it though.  Phones out & ready, scan quickly and does seem to be a convenient process, for those wanting a record or not a fan of carrying cash.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anybody actually used Google Wallet? if so which shops accept it?

I use it extensively in the US but have never tried it in Thailand. Maybe I will give it a try. I'm not sure of the advantage, though. In Thailand I just pull out my CC and wave it. In the US, I can use it for online ordering, in restaurant, etc. I have not tried in supermarket in the US. I remember using it in Taipei once while ordering some foods from a table inside the restaurant. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

30 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

That's also a problem for me in the US because my handman guy does not accept credit cards. He only accepts cash or checks (yes, some people in the US are still using checks). I called him to fix my heater and had to cough up $1300 in cash. But he is cheaper. If I had called an HVAC maintenance guy, he would have charged me $3,000. 

No one is saying cash is obsolete. It’s just no longer “king”. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Nemises said:

No one is saying cash is obsolete. It’s just no longer “king”. 

Cash is still king in the sense that it was used first, I believe. During a stock market crash, if you have cash, you can buy up beaten-down stocks. So it's still a king. However, for day-to-day purchases, a credit card provides more advantages than cash. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anybody actually used Google Wallet? if so which shops accept it?

Yes in 7-11 and several other stores around Bangkok and beyond.  Mine is using a Wise debit card so its the only way to pay using that in 7-11. The wprd "tap" and gesturing with the phone seems to be enough to get them to activate the reader.  Really anywhere accepting contactless (as opposed to QR) payments should accept. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Here’s a few reasons why cash is no longer king. Now you are up to speed with the times 🤣

“After oversleeping one morning, you stop at a cafe for some coffee and a muffin on the way to work. You take your food up to the counter and hand over a $10 bill, but instead of opening the register to get your change, the clerk says, “Sorry, we don’t accept cash.”

There are places all over the country in which this scenario could happen. There have always been some retailers, such as discount grocery stores, that don’t accept credit cards. Now, at the other end of the spectrum, an increasing number of stores and restaurants are accepting cards and digital payments while refusing to take cash.

For many retailers, it’s a precaution to limit the spread of germs during the coronavirus pandemic. But considering all the advantages going cashless can have for businesses, there’s a good chance the trend could stick around.

That won’t affect most consumers since most people pay with their cards anyway. But it’s bad news for the minority who prefer cash — and even worse news for the smaller minority who don’t have a card.

Why Some Stores Refuse Cash

Even before COVID-19, some specialty stores and upscale eateries had tried going completely cashless.

For instance, when Amazon first opened its experimental Amazon Go stores in Seattle, Chicago, and San Francisco, there were no checkouts at all. Instead, anything you carried out of the store was automatically scanned and charged to your Amazon account.

In 2018, Slate reported that the cashless trend also attracted several fast-casual restaurants — places that offer fancier food than Burger King or Subway but with equally quick service.

When the coronavirus outbreak hit, this trend accelerated. A study by payment processing company Square found that between March 1 and April 23 of 2020, the number of its users in the United States that were “essentially cashless” rose from 8% to 31%. In Canada, Australia, and Great Britain, cashless payments rose even more sharply.

For businesses, going cash-free offers several significant advantages:

• Fewer Germs. When businesses reopened after the first wave of COVID-19 closures, many chose to limit the use of germ-laden bills and coins. Takumi Hirose, a Tokyo stationery shop owner interviewed by Square, explains he’s moving toward a cashless model because so many customers now see cash as “unclean and unwelcome.”
  • Reduced Risk of Robbery. Any business that handles lots of cash every day is at risk of being robbed. David Friedman, proprietor of the Chicago-based Epic Burger chain, told the Los Angeles Times he decided to go cash-free after his restaurants suffered a total of six armed robberies and burglaries over eight years.
  • No Counterfeit Bills. In addition to thefts, stores and restaurants often lose money when customers pay with counterfeit bills. Friedman said his restaurants handled “dozens and dozens” of fake bills in the years before going cashless. Eliminating cash closes off that avenue of fraud.
  • Less Employee Theft. After a cash purchase, it’s easy for an unscrupulous worker to keep the cash and not ring up the sale, a practice known as “skimming.” Employees can also ring up a smaller purchase — say, $5 for a $10 sale — and pocket the difference. Skimming is a tough crime for employers to detect, but getting rid of cash eliminates it.
  • Faster Service. Cash is a relatively cumbersome method of payment. The total sale is seldom a round dollar amount, so either the customer or the clerk has to spend time fumbling with bills and coins to hand over the right change. Card-based transactions are much quicker. According to The New York Times, when the salad chain Sweetgreen made six of its locations cash-free, employees at those locations could process 5% to 15% more transactions per hour than their colleagues at stores that took cash.
  • Simpler Equipment. If a business doesn’t take cash, it doesn’t need a bulky cash register with separate slots for bills and coins. Machines that only process credit cards are smaller, sleeker, and less expensive.
  • Less Expense. Handling cash costs businesses money because many banks charge fees for cash deposits, especially if coins are involved. If a business handles enough cash to require armored cars to pick it up, that’s an even bigger expense.
  • Fewer Banking Hassles. Making cash deposits is also time-consuming. A manager has to spend time counting the money, preparing the deposit, and taking it to the bank — time they could be spending with customers or helping workers.”

https://www.moneycrashers.com/stores-not-accepting-cash/

So, by copying some information from internet, you managed to totally avoid talking about your mistake. Good job! Now take another coffee in your enchanted world. 😂

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, by copying some information from internet, you managed to totally avoid talking about your mistake. Good job! Now take another coffee in your enchanted world. 😂

So, you live in a village in Nakon

nowhere where technology doesn’t exist. Now go to the local market where they still accept your cash. 🤣

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I use it extensively in the US but have never tried it in Thailand. Maybe I will give it a try. I'm not sure of the advantage, though. In Thailand I just pull out my CC and wave it. In the US, I can use it for online ordering, in restaurant, etc. I have not tried in supermarket in the US. I remember using it in Taipei once while ordering some foods from a table inside the restaurant. 

anyone use it in Thailand?

As usual hardly anyone actually replied to your topic. Hse didn't ask about cash or cards.

Yes easy to use (5 seconds) in at least Lotus and Sizzlers.

Far better than a QR code. Used in Thailand for over a year. More touristy places using it. Also used in Japan.

Is a Bangkok bank credit card.

Try it.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

6 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Yes in 7-11 and several other stores around Bangkok and beyond.  Mine is using a Wise debit card so its the only way to pay using that in 7-11. The wprd "tap" and gesturing with the phone seems to be enough to get them to activate the reader.  Really anywhere accepting contactless (as opposed to QR) payments should accept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Google Wallet is replacing Google Pay. The main difference between the two apps is Wallet allows you to load a cash balance as well as emulate your credit/debit/loyalty/boarding cards. Google Pay was accepted in any shop that accepts contactless card payments. I used Google Pay, with my Wise card, at 711, Lotus's, Big C and Bangrak (Esso) but I haven't upgraded to Wallet yet so I don't know if the cash side of it can be used in the same way. This is the question the OP asked. He didn't ask if cash or credit card is best! 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

So, you live in a village in Nakon

nowhere where technology doesn’t exist. Now go to the local market where they still accept your cash. 🤣

Still missed the point! I guess you always avoid talking about your mistakes.

Yes, I live out in something you would call boondocks. However, It´s calm and relaxing in a nice house with pool and all the modern things I ever will need. You know, how amazing it might seem to you. They accept both cash, cards and QR scan here. How is it in your part of the world? Renting an outdated condo in Pattaya, and cash not working at the daily bar visit?

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Try paying for something when the internet is down or electric is out.  Cash will always be King.

That's not 100% true, if there is no power or internet, the cashier cannot recieve your money.

Don't get me wrong, I am also in favor of cash payment.

I haven't attempted to use it here in Thailand, although I do use it quite a bit back home in the U.S. I will have to try it, see how many places here accept it. For some reason back home in the U.S, I have had some issues with certain places I get an error message, that says my card in Google Wallet is expired, even though it is not.

8 hours ago, Nemises said:

But do you have a link for Thailand, because that is where most of us are.

Cash is definitely king on Koh Samui (where I live and have a business).

The guy delivering cooking gas bottles only accepts cash, as does the guy delivering drinking water, as well as those delivering beer and wine.

A/C technicians all prefer cash in hand, as do most electricians.

The pool supplies company also prefer cash or a bank transfer (from my laptop).

Most local restaurants that I know of state 'cash only'.

Makro, HomePro, Tops, Big C and Lotus's all happily accept my cash.

My cash is never refused.

I suppose that the time to worry is when all of you young Turks start paying for your nightly entertainment by QR code.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll give it a shot in 7 Eleven

They have a minimum purchase requirement when paying with card (wallet app). They waived the fee during COVID, but unfortunately re-instated it about a year ago.

But Family Mart, BigC / BigC Mini, TOPS, etc. all take cards / NFC / wallet apps w/o minimum payments.

So does most shops at the mall, Central Department Store, Robinson, and larger restaurants.

You can almost assume that if the place take VISA/MasterCard, they have a reader that does NFC and thus also support GooglePay and the other wallet apps.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lkn said:

They have a minimum purchase requirement when paying with card (wallet app). They waived the fee during COVID, but unfortunately re-instated it about a year ago.

But Family Mart, BigC / BigC Mini, TOPS, etc. all take cards / NFC / wallet apps w/o minimum payments.

So does most shops at the mall, Central Department Store, Robinson, and larger restaurants.

You can almost assume that if the place take VISA/MasterCard, they have a reader that does NFC and thus also support GooglePay and the other wallet apps.

i just tried two 7 Elevens in Pattaya and neither accepted Google Wallet, no machines at the front showing contactless.

Anyone use it in a Pattaya 7 Eleven? otherwise I'll conclude it's not possible there

8 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Didn't work just now in Pattaya, two 7 Elevens, did you try there?