Any Advice Would Be Appreciated

KEMPO0333

Hey all,

Me and the missus are off to phuket (first time in TL) on the 3rd feb for a few weeks and i wondered if anyone could answer a few questions i have.

I'm a little concerned with the customs & excise over their.

My partner and i will be sharing one big peice of luggage and will be carrying our allowance in cigs and spirits.

Am i right in thinking it 200 cigs and 1 litre?

My concern is that if they pull be up with this one peice of luggage and i both our allowances in their, will this cause me problems?

im just worried that they will be funny with us.

Also, on the way back i will be in bancock for about 12 hours.

Any advice on what we can do in that time...like the temples, attractions, must see's.

and also phuket must do's..

cheers all.

oh yeah, im very much into my martial arts and want to try training mui thai with the locals, any advice?

duty free allowance is; 200 stick cigarette and one bottle liquor permitted, not too sticky on volume 75cl vs 1 litre (per person)

* word of advice; if you are going to use only ONE piece of luggage with both of your duty free allowances inside, I would

strongly recommend that you have two separate duty free receipts indicating different names of purchases.

I have read on a similar web-board of a situation where a individual traveling with his group of 5 guys was 'fined' and

their liquor/cigs were confiscated because he had the duty free articles in his possession and could not produce individual receipts of

each person. Its silly but there is a strong point. I have also noticed there are a lot of problems with customs at land borders where

a border duty free store exist.

Best to spend more time in Krabi if you can - boat ride/bus ride away.

Try not to spend too much time in Patong/Karon; Kata and Kata Noi beach areas far nicer.

Avoid using Phuket tuk-tuks and don't argue with them.

Phuket Zoo is a rip.

The big Buddha on the hill between Kata and Chalong is worth a look.

In Bangkok, could use left luggage and head into town (depending on time of day) and check out the Grand Palace, boat ride on the river, wander around Khao San Road (all similar areas), followed by a trip towards Siam Square to take the missus shopping at the likes of Paragon mall. :)

thanks all,

rfukata , That is exactly why i was concerned. After much research i realize that customs can be a bit like that.

The reason i thought of getting them here in london and taking them is because i get them very cheap here at £3 and i know what im smoking. so i will not have receipts. should we carry one in hand luggage?

jackr, Thanks for the advice. we were gonna leave our stuff at a friends place then just do what we can in the 12 hours.

One other question.

Im thinking of renting a motorcycle for a week. something like a cbr600rr or blade. where is the best place to rent from. Dont wanna get ripped off.

Are bikes safe their and should i bring my own lid or will theres do for the week.

I'll be staying at outrigger Laguna Phuket resort and villas...anyone know this place. any advice.

3 weeks to go.....cant wait

Edited by KEMPO0333

The bikes here are quite safe?? but the riders and drivers are not! and also the roads are notoriously bad! If you have never had the experience of riding a bike here then i would advise you to get a small 110 or 125 for a couple of days and get accustomed to the conditions first but beware i have been driving here a long time and all i can say is expect the unexpected all the time....it really can be very tiring!

Having said that walking can be tricky also :D

I would not bother with a lid....nobody else does :D

Have not stayed at your resort but have been there and all i can say is your in for a treat,wonderful place i thought top notch :)

Seriously though take my advice and take care on the roads and have a great holiday!

Edited by NADTATIDA1

Maybe you think that riding without a crash helmet in Thailand is the natural thing to do, the vast majority however reckon that it's about the most stupid. Really, you wouldn't drive without one in the West where road conditions and standards of driving are good, why would you do anything differently here where conditions are 180 degrees off, just because you're on holiday!

Maybe you think that riding without a crash helmet in Thailand is the natural thing to do, the vast majority however reckon that it's about the most stupid. Really, you wouldn't drive without one in the West where road conditions and standards of driving are good, why would you do anything differently here where conditions are 180 degrees off, just because you're on holiday!

It was tongue in cheek ok! as i thought you would of gathered from me informing the op of the serious dangers of riding here in Thailand. chill out ok,the guys coming on holiday!

Thanks NADTATIDA1,

Do you know of a good reliable shop for 600 bike rental. somewhere that wont try and rip me off when i bring it back.does the bike come with insurance and do i have to leave my passport....this i wont do.

Also are the lids ok..(yes i will wear one) dont rally wanna have to lug my brand new arai over their.

any must do's, see's in phukett... Think im gonna charter a boat for the day and go over to some of the islands. w

which do you recommend. boats and islands.

sorry if im going on with the questions but i wanna make the most out of this trip.

I was scared of this place 2 months ago, but after weeks of research i think i wanna buy a place their...lol

I would be leaving the cigarettes and JD at home and buying on arrival as both are cheaper here than abroad, you will pay about 60 Baht for cigarettes at 7/11 and about 1000 to 1200 Baht for a bottle of JD from a bottle shop.

Thanks NADTATIDA1,

Do you know of a good reliable shop for 600 bike rental. somewhere that wont try and rip me off when i bring it back.does the bike come with insurance and do i have to leave my passport....this i wont do.

Also are the lids ok..(yes i will wear one) dont rally wanna have to lug my brand new arai over their.

any must do's, see's in phukett... Think im gonna charter a boat for the day and go over to some of the islands. w

which do you recommend. boats and islands.

sorry if im going on with the questions but i wanna make the most out of this trip.

I was scared of this place 2 months ago, but after weeks of research i think i wanna buy a place their...lol

My ten cents:

There are regularly scheduled passenger boats that will take you to the major islands, I reckon that Koh Phi Phi is a must see. An interesting one or two day trip might be to take the ferry from Phuket to Phi Phi, maybe stay one night and then take the ferry from Phi Phi to Ao Nang (Krabi) - maybe stay one night in Ao Nang and then take the ferry back to Phuket. But if you don't want to stay overnight in those places the ferry rides can all be done in a single day and the scenery en route is excellent.

As for boat charters: based on your budget you have a number of options. The cheapest options might be to hire a boat and a driver for half a day/day from around Chalong Pier - on the other end of the scale you could hire a modern fast boat with a crew but expect it to be a costly option.

As for must see's on Phuket: probably best to just get on your bike and tour the islands and see what catches your eye - great views of the island from the Buddha statue in Chalong, great scenery on the coast in the South and South West - Patong for night-life, some attractive old sino Portuguese architecture in Phuket Town.

Bike Rental: I can't point you at anywhere on this one but yes, never leave your passport as a deposit, maybe make a copy you can leave instead but be prepared that it may not be accepted. The Police regularly stop tourists and fine them for not having a valid license and/or insurance when driving a machine they've just rented, others can perhaps advise how to handle these matters, fines are usually only around 300 baht so more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Cigarettes here are very cheap so don't bring your own, ditto booze - wine is readily available and if you shop around it is likely to be on a par to the UK.

Finally, driving a bike in Thailand is dangerous. I don't want to come across as a mother hen but most tourists underestimate the dangers which leaves many with a shortened life or big hospital bills. The problem is not your driving skills but everyone else's.

Edited by chiang mai