Upgrading Uk Pension

I have married a Thai Lady and have been resident for over one year. I asked the UK Dept of Work and Pensions to upgrade my pension from that of a single man to a married man.

They are avoiding answering the question of entitlement and are busy trying to establish that I am permanently ex patriate.

Can anyone advise how to get the increase and still live in Thailand.

As I understand things the married persons allowance is only applicable to people born before 1935. People born after that date are eligible for a dependants allowance but I believe this is being dropped this year. You may want to review the following thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Newly-Marrie...on-t162419.html

As for how to make the Pension Service move a bit quicker with your query, I'm afraid they are not known for their speed so probably best to keep on pestering them every week.

As I understand things the married persons allowance is only applicable to people born before 1935. People born after that date are eligible for a dependants allowance but I believe this is being dropped this year. You may want to review the following thread:

As for how to make the Pension Service move a bit quicker with your query, I'm afraid they are not known for their speed so probably best to keep on pestering them every week.

The dependants allowance has to be applied for before the end of the current tax year, i.e by 05 April 2010. It can only be claimed if the claimant is already in receipt of their basic UK state pension. The allowance is to be phased out in 2020 but, if you are currently in receipt of it, or will be by the end of the current tax year, you will continue to receive it until then. The allowance is worth about £55 per week.

I have just qualified for my state pension - in fact I'm hoping to see a bank transfer later this month - and I applied for the dependants allowance when I applied for that. Some of the procedure can be done on-line but the Pensions Service needs to see original documentation, such as birth certificates for yourself and your dependant. There is also a paper form to fill out that is not available on-line. The Pension Service will send this to you when you put in the application.

I have found the Pensions Service to be quite helpful and if you 'phone them at the crack of dawn - UK time - there is not normally a queue. The only problem seems to be that they are incredibly slow. The additional allowance for my wife is still 'in progress' and has been for the last three months. I'm not expecting to see any additional money before easter!

You need to contact the UK International Pensions Centre in Newcastle. Google for the address etc. Be quick as you only have a few weeks left to submit your claim.

DM

Peter Don't hold your breath mate It's a Nightmare I applied for the increase after my marriage in Jan 2008 ( marriage in the UK ) Not that that in itself should make any difference.

My wife returned to Thailand shortly after our marriage. I was asked to submit her Original Thai Birth Cert she sent it to me and I sent it on to them.

After a couple of weeks It was returned to my address in the UK together with our marriage Cert

I returned to Thailand for 2 months when I got back to the UK I rang them a number of times to ask about progress The answer was we are very busy.

I returned to Thailand once again in Sept 2008 and applied for Settlement Visa in march 2009 received it in June. During the time I was in Thailand I made contact by E Mail. Snail Mail, And by Phone Eventualy I was Told that they had NOT received my application.

Made contact with a Pensions Liaison Officer when we got to the UK she confirmed They HAD Received my application

I did receive the increase in Aug but it was only back dated until April 2009. I have appealed against this. The appeal was submitted in Sept 2009 Still waiting to here to outcome.

Its been a real Nightmare But £57.05 is worth pursuing. If I win this appeal that will be almost £3000 they will back pay me. But it's not going to be easy.

And I am not holding my breath. They don't hand it out without a fight thats for sure

Good Luck

It took me about 9 months to get my dependants allowance and it was backi dated so i had a nice lump sum for the first payment , i made lots of phone calls and sent lots of emails , the best about sending an email is that when you get a reply it is from an individual pensions officer so then it is easier for future contacts

does the marriage allowance apply even if you live outside the UK with a foreign wife?

It took me about 9 months to get my dependants allowance and it was backi dated so i had a nice lump sum for the first payment , i made lots of phone calls and sent lots of emails , the best about sending an email is that when you get a reply it is from an individual pensions officer so then it is easier for future contacts

does the marriage allowance apply even if you live outside the UK with a foreign wife?

Not sure about the marriage allowance as you would have to be 84 or older to get it but the dependants allowance you can get.

I am 65 and have been married to my Thai wife since 2000 and I received mine in December after applying in July and yes I did badger them with phone calls.

The married man's State pension increase can be applied for until the end of the current tax year if you are already aged 65 or more years. After that or if you are not 65 before April, you won't get it. The view seems to be that it will be replaced by 'something else' but no-one knows what.

Peterpop, if the Pension Service is keen to establish your country of residence that is possibly because you haven't told them that you live in Thailand. If you are resident here, you should tell them. If you don't, when they find out they may stop your pension while they investigate you and your past entitlement. Do you still get the winter fuel allowance for example?

The other good news is that, as a non-resident, they will probably freeze your pension - no more annual increases. The EU may force this spiteful and illogical rule to be removed but, as you must know, the UK government will stick up two fingers for as long as possible. The UK still hasn't signed the Schengen Treaty.

The Pensions Service is in a mess and understaffed. I guess that it wasn't possible to forecast the number of pensioners that would need to be dealt with! One might get the impression that they don't want old gits who have paid their tax dues for decades in the hope of being taken care of financially when they retired. That especially applies to the ones who live outside the UK, it seem. One guy was told that if he thought of returning for medical treatment by the NHS, not to bother.

The dependants allowance has to be applied for before the end of the current tax year, i.e by 05 April 2010. It can only be claimed if the claimant is already in receipt of their basic UK state pension. The allowance is to be phased out in 2020 but, if you are currently in receipt of it, or will be by the end of the current tax year, you will continue to receive it until then. The allowance is worth about £55 per week.

I have just qualified for my state pension - in fact I'm hoping to see a bank transfer later this month - and I applied for the dependants allowance when I applied for that. Some of the procedure can be done on-line but the Pensions Service needs to see original documentation, such as birth certificates for yourself and your dependant. There is also a paper form to fill out that is not available on-line. The Pension Service will send this to you when you put in the application.

I have found the Pensions Service to be quite helpful and if you 'phone them at the crack of dawn - UK time - there is not normally a queue. The only problem seems to be that they are incredibly slow. The additional allowance for my wife is still 'in progress' and has been for the last three months. I'm not expecting to see any additional money before easter!

You need to contact the UK International Pensions Centre in Newcastle. Google for the address etc. Be quick as you only have a few weeks left to submit your claim.

DM

I have just applies for and been told that i will get my pension in march of this year,as for the wifes dependancy form IT IS AVAILABLE ONLINE, i have filled this in and returned it ,however my wife does not have a birth certificate and we were told one was not available ,i then phoned them and asked if a thai identaty card with her date of birth in english would do ,i was told that should be ok ,they also asked if she had a n.i number,which she has ,i was then told that this was half the battle.

now i await with baited breath for the outcome.

DM

I have just applies for and been told that i will get my pension in march of this year,as for the wifes dependancy form IT IS AVAILABLE ONLINE, i have filled this in and returned it ,however my wife does not have a birth certificate and we were told one was not available ,i then phoned them and asked if a thai identaty card with her date of birth in english would do ,i was told that should be ok ,they also asked if she had a n.i number,which she has ,i was then told that this was half the battle.

Please try not to hold your breath as mine took 5 months to come through and we had all the correct documents.

Is it possible to obtain a dependants allowance on to state pension, even if Thai wife has full time job in Thailand

DM

Please try not to hold your breath as mine took 5 months to come through and we had all the correct documents.

:) Ok wont hold it ,but when you sent the forms off what happened in the 5 months did you just wait or keep on ringing?

Peter Don't hold your breath mate It's a Nightmare I applied for the increase after my marriage in Jan 2008 ( marriage in the UK ) Not that that in itself should make any difference.

My wife returned to Thailand shortly after our marriage. I was asked to submit her Original Thai Birth Cert she sent it to me and I sent it on to them.

After a couple of weeks It was returned to my address in the UK together with our marriage Cert

I returned to Thailand for 2 months when I got back to the UK I rang them a number of times to ask about progress The answer was we are very busy.

I returned to Thailand once again in Sept 2008 and applied for Settlement Visa in march 2009 received it in June. During the time I was in Thailand I made contact by E Mail. Snail Mail, And by Phone Eventualy I was Told that they had NOT received my application.

Made contact with a Pensions Liaison Officer when we got to the UK she confirmed They HAD Received my application

I did receive the increase in Aug but it was only back dated until April 2009. I have appealed against this. The appeal was submitted in Sept 2009 Still waiting to here to outcome.

Its been a real Nightmare But £57.05 is worth pursuing. If I win this appeal that will be almost £3000 they will back pay me. But it's not going to be easy.

And I am not holding my breath. They don't hand it out without a fight thats for sure

Good Luck

Thank most helpful

• 3 weeks later...

Good Luck

Thank most helpful

Spoke on telephone to International Pension Center today. They acknowledged receipt of marriage certificate and wife's birth certificate which I sent by recorded delivery on Jan 11th. They said were waiting for translation to arrive from British government translators. Then they investigate legal entitlement of claim, then they apply for National Insurance number for wife. Said due to number of "questionable" claims and obtaining National Insurance number for foreign wife, the process will take several months. Have to go with the flow.

Update on my position. I have now received A date to go in front of the Tribunal. To plead my case. On the 22nd Feb

Today I did telephone my Local Pensions Liaison Officer, She assured me that she has been in contact. With the Tribunal Service

The tribunal service are saying they have not received anything from her.

She has told me she Telephoned them again today and they will respond on Monday, And that it might not have to go to Tribunal, Fingers Crossed

Sure I might get Back Pay, I do think after 2 years I should get interest on the money. I doubt they will have any rules in place to give you interest.

I think if you owed them for that amount of time you would be paying a fine and or interest.

I think the system is Designed to wear you down to the point you just give up.

Update on my position. I have now received A date to go in front of the Tribunal. To plead my case. On the 22nd Feb

Today I did telephone my Local Pensions Liaison Officer, She assured me that she has been in contact. With the Tribunal Service

The tribunal service are saying they have not received anything from her.

She has told me she Telephoned them again today and they will respond on Monday, And that it might not have to go to Tribunal, Fingers Crossed

Sure I might get Back Pay, I do think after 2 years I should get interest on the money. I doubt they will have any rules in place to give you interest.

I think if you owed them for that amount of time you would be paying a fine and or interest.

I think the system is Designed to wear you down to the point you just give up.

I have now recieved back my marriage cert and wifes identity card(she has a national ins number from when we lived in Britain ) now just waiting to see what happens ,my pension doesnt actually start untill mid march.

• 1 month later...

Good Luck

I am still waiting to get a definitive answer to my request. In the mean time they have frozen my pension at the rate applicable 2 years ago. Great. If I want to restore my pension to present day levels how long do I have to stay in UK

ANYONE DONE THIS.

I am still waiting to get a definitive answer to my request. In the mean time they have frozen my pension at the rate applicable 2 years ago. Great. If I want to restore my pension to present day levels how long do I have to stay in UK

ANYONE DONE THIS.

6 months.

ANYONE DONE THIS.

6 months.

I just mentioned on the other UK pensiuon thread that this is now potentially a tax minefield too as the 91 day rule is no longer sufficient to establish non-residence. We're getting a tax and pensions expert from the UK to come and explain this next week and at the moment we still have spaces at the Wednsday morning session, so PM me if you want an invitation to the free breakfast.

cheers,

Paul