Medication For "the Period"

kamp

My thai friend told me that she use 12 paracetamol every time she has the period.. I told here that it will destroy here liver if she continues and she agreed.

But what else can she use?

What are the name down on the medication in thailand.

I used Diclofenac (cataflam) in my country. Is this aviveable and what is it called?

thanks.

If you talking about cramping during the period then try Ponstan.

Same group as diclofenac but more effective in menstrual pain.

Take 500 mg every 8 hours, best aftermeal and drink lots of water.

There are also local made look for mefenamic acid on the label.

Another suggestion if the pain is so severe and she has lots of blood.

I suugest that she go see the GYN to check if there is any other problems hiden.

It could be choccolate cyst, ovarian cyst etc.

Good luck.

Diclofenac in Thailand is available as "Voltaren" but replacing one pain medication with another will only change the target organ of the damage from liver to kidneys or another if she requires high doses over a few days every month.

The best is to get a diagnosis and see if it does not need specific treatment. It can be due to a condition called "endometriosis" and the treatment for that is hormonal.

Lower abdominal ultrasound can usually detect that as well as a proper history.

Isn't Ibuprofen available here? It has always worked for me and is non prescription (OTC) as opposed to Voltaren used to be RX only. I take about 400 to 600 mg depending on the pain. Usually I only have to take it once on the first day. Brand name for Ibuprofen is Motrin, generic name is Ibuprofen but may be called something else in Thailand.

Ibuprofen is available under either "Advil" or "Brufen".

Ibuprofen is slightly more likely to cause stomach discomfort in some people but is also effective; probably more than Diclofenac for this particular condition as it is more analgesic than Diclofenac.

"Ponstan" or "Mefaminic Acid" is perhaps the mildest of these and one should aim to use the mildest drug if effective.

many of the girls here use someting similar to naxene, which i also saw in thailand *used for muscle pain' -- all these drugs must be used with full stomach and not for more then a few days....

girls/women with terribly painful menstruation should indeed have a check up;

regular cramping and discomfort is relieved by advil, even using a hot water bottle on the aabdomen, some light exercise, usually the first two days are worst....

dont forget that while many women suffer from pain during mestruation, many women dont really have strong cramping, but even the mild cramping to them is severly painful and /or unmanageable (psychological thing also since many women really 'hate' or 'resent' getting their periods and the whole thing bothers them)

also there is the hormonal thing often making them slightly depressed so therefore makes it more difficult to deal with the cramping. happens more with teenagers or women who havent given birth (for whatever reasons, this is emperical not statistical, from daily 'girlie' talk with friends and colleages...

bina

israel