Change Non B To Non O Marriage

I have a Non Imm B visa and I work in Thailand. I've been marriage for over two years and I want to change my visa to a Non Imm O Marriage visa. I have 400K in the bank for the requisite 2 month period. My Non Imm B (second extension) is valid until September 2010.

What is the simplest way to accomplish this transition from B to O Marriage?

I want the Non Imm O Marriage in case I decide to just quit my job for a few months without the hassle of getting kicked out of the Kingdom, and in the future I'd like to eventually apply for permanent residence.

You will be applying for extension of stay based on marriage to Thai, which is not a visa. You should apply during the last 30 days of your permission to stay, taking with you to immigration the wife (for interview), her ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), marriage certificate, photos together around the home, map to home, completed application form TM7, letter from bank confirming account balance plus bank book/copies showing balance 400k+ for 2 month period prior to application, copies of passport/TM6 departure card and current passport sized photos. Fee 1,900 baht. Most offices are now asking also for Kor Sor 2 (copy of marriage register) so best to check before you go.

Is good idea to update bank book on day of visiting immigration, but if not possible suggest obtaining an ATM printout of account that agrees with balance in bank book/bank letter. Note that some banks will freeze the bank account for 24 hours after issuing immigration letter.

You will get a 30 day under consideration stamp. Immigration will give you a date to go back and get the remainder of your extension. If you plan to travel abroad during the period of the extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep your permission to stay alive. Fee 1,000 baht single entry; 3,800 baht multi entry.

To apply for permanent residency you will need 3 years of consecutive 1 year extensions plus a healthy record of paying Thai tax. More information can be found in the pinned topic Camerata's Guide to the PR process.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

(print the two-sided form on a single sheet of A4 paper)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I'm in a very similar situation here.

I've been working in bangkok for over a year now and my contract will end at the end of this month.

I've been married to my thai wife for 1.5 year (got married outside of Thailand), and would like to stay in thailand and obtain a non-O visa (one year, multiple re-entry).

A few uncertainties though:

- to which immigration office should I apply?

- I have more than 400k on a thai bank account but I won't have the 2-month prerequisite at the time of applying, are there any workarounds?

- we are renting a condo downtown, so we don't have a permanent home address, can this be a problem?

thanks a million! :)

Based on having aThai wife you can get a 60 day extension of stay, that should be enough to season the money. Just need your wife and marriage certificate. At the end of this extension, you extend for 1 year.

You apply at the immigration office where your wife lives. Make your wife registers (notify) the foreign marriage with the Thai government. Immigration now insists on that.

You would be applying for a 12 month extension of stay based on marriage to Thai. It is not a visa. You would need to apply at the immigration office covering the area where you live. More details here.

You can obtain a 60 day extension from your local immigration office on the basis of visiting your wife which would allow time for funds to season. You would need to visit immigration with your wife, taking with you marriage certificate, wife's ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), completed application form TM7, copies of passport pages/TM6 departure card + passport photo. Some offices are also asking for photos of you and wife around the house and map to house. Fee 1,900 baht. Then apply for 12 month extension of stay based on marriage during the last 30 days of your permission to stay.

I want the Non Imm O Marriage in case I decide to just quit my job for a few months without the hassle of getting kicked out of the Kingdom,

There's no need to change anything. On the application form for your extension just put "Stay with Thai wife" as you reason for staying and they won't kick you out if you quit your job as long as you meet the financial requirements as mentioned before.

I want the Non Imm O Marriage in case I decide to just quit my job for a few months without the hassle of getting kicked out of the Kingdom,

There's no need to change anything. On the application form for your extension just put "Stay with Thai wife" as you reason for staying and they won't kick you out if you quit your job as long as you meet the financial requirements as mentioned before.

His problem is that he does not meet the financial requirements of the extension of stay based on marriage. Hence 60 day extension of stay mentioned above is the best way forward to allow his funds to season, after which time he can apply for extension of stay based on marriage.

For the overseas marriage it will have to be registered at a District Office as Immigration will require a copy of the ledger entry. So you need to have it verified by your Embassy/translated into Thai/registered at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and take to District office to register and get a copy of the ledger entry. Sounds complex but not really that much involved and translation agency can do most if you want.

There are two different persons asking questions in a thread. Thaipoon is replying to elruliano and you are replying to the OP, connda, which is a little bit older post.

Apologies for strolling off topic mario but thaiphoon was quoting me and I was quoting the OP. I just don't want the posters to get confused. Only trying to help. :)

You would be applying for a 12 month extension of stay based on marriage to Thai. It is not a visa. You would need to apply at the immigration office covering the area where you live. More details here.

I will need to go outside of the country during my extension of stay.

- Will I apply for the re-entry permit at the same time than the extension?

- Are they any other requirements than the 3,800 THB fee ? (passport photo...?)

We live in downtown bangkok..

- so to which office will I need to apply?

thanks!

Single Re Entry Permit 1,000 Baht.

Multiple Re Entry Permit. 3,800 Baht.

Probably easier to apply for it when doing the extension, but you do not have to.

Passport and the usual photo required.

Apply where you apply for the extension.

Immigration Office

Government Center B

No. 120 Mu 3

Chaeng Watthana Soi 7

Thung Song Hong, Laksi

Bangkok 10210

Phone: 0-2141-9889, Fax: 0-2143-8228

Call center: 1178

Open :Monday - Friday 08:30–16:30

Closed for Lunch :12:00–13:00

Closed Saturday ,Sunday and Public Holidays

Service Area: Saraburi, Chainat, Lopburi, Ang Thong, Singburi

As the re-entry permit will have the same date as your current permitted to stay stamp you must do it after you get your extension of stay - for marriage that means a month later when you pick up the final extension of stay with the one year extension in place.

I read in another thread a similar comment:

...you will not be applying for a visa. You will be extending the visa you already have. The reason for the extension will be for marriage, but it's not technically a 'marriage visa', even though that's what it's commonly called.

Does this mean that applying for an extension of stay, will prevent my current non-B visa to be canceled ? (by my employer at the end of my contract)

When your employment ends, your permission to say ends (unless you are on a valid multiple non-B visa). You can than ask for a 7 day extension, in your case a 60 day extension because you are married to a Thai. At the end of the 60 days you can than ask for an extension of stay based on marriage, when you have seasoned the money.

You just change the reason of your stay in Thailand and do not have to get a new visa.

When your employment ends, your permission to say ends (unless you are on a valid multiple non-B visa). You can than ask for a 7 day extension, in your case a 60 day extension because you are married to a Thai. At the end of the 60 days you can than ask for an extension of stay based on marriage, when you have seasoned the money.

You just change the reason of your stay in Thailand and do not have to get a new visa.

it all makes sense to me now, thanks a lot for the explanations! :)

Actually, I should be able to get the 2-month prerequisite just on time before the end of my employment. So it should get even easier.

I've heard and read about a 3-month prerequisite for the 400K balance, this is only for renewal, correct ?

• 3 weeks later...
2 Months on the first application.

Thereafter it is 3 months at some Immigration Offices and 2 months at others.

Since I reached the required balance on Dec 25th,

when would be the earliest date I can go to the bank ask for the letter confirming the 2 month prerequisite?

February 25th? 26th? or even 23th (I read somewhere about 60 days)

Thanks a lot.

Since I reached the required balance on Dec 25th,

when would be the earliest date I can go to the bank ask for the letter confirming the 2 month prerequisite?

February 25th? 26th? or even 23th (I read somewhere about 60 days)

Thanks a lot.

This is the rule.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

The 400,000 would have to be in the bank for 2 months. So February 25th would be the earliest.

The bank letter only verifies the amount, it will not say how long it has been there.

Your bank book does that. It needs to be updated at the same time.

Apply at Immigration on the same day or the day after you get the bank evidence.

If the OP is legally working in Thailand and currently earning more than 40,000 Baht a month, is there still a need for the 400,000 Baht deposit for the application for a Non-Imm O ?

400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 a month income. For a 12 month extension of stay based on Marriage.

It is not a Non Imm O Visa.

And here is the official rule for extension of stay based on marriage:

Police Order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.