Dvd Players

Asmerom

My Sony DVD Player is designated to play only Region 3 Discs. I want to play BBC DVD's TV adaptations which are Region 2, I believe. I'm sure I've read somewhere that your Player can be "adjusted" to play any region discs. Is this true? And how to I go about it? And are there, maybe, DVD Players you can buy legitimately to play all regions.

Ditto ovenman... I could be wrong...But I thought Thai DVD players were region free. At least the 'cheap' brands are as far as I know (AJ, Soken etc..). Sony could be different.

If worse comes to worse and you can't play them or 'crack' your Sony, you could buy a cheapo 800 baht DVD player...or rip the discs and reburn them, though that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Have you actually tried a disk from another region in your player? Many of the DVD players sold in Thailand will actually play all regions even if they claim to be only Region 3 players.

Not to my knowledge I haven't but I'll explore my collection. I was just about to order from The BBC Shop online when this question cropped up. So I didn't complete the purchase. I'll probably order one from the BBC and give it a go. I've just found I have a couple of films which are marked Region 3 and they do play OK.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Asmerom

Ditto ovenman... I could be wrong...But I thought Thai DVD players were region free. At least the 'cheap' brands are as far as I know (AJ, Soken etc..). Sony could be different.

I bought a new Pioneer unit recently at Siam TV. All the paperwork, box, and the unit itself claim to be Region 3 but the player is in fact, region-free. I'm not sure whether the manufacturers supply the units to the dealers region-free or if the crack is applied somewhere down the line after leaving the factory.

Have you actually tried a disk from another region in your player? Many of the DVD players sold in Thailand will actually play all regions even if they claim to be only Region 3 players.

Not to my knowledge I haven't but I'll explore my collection. I was just about to order from The BBC Shop online when this question cropped up. So I didn't complete the purchase. I'll probably order one from the BBC and give it a go. I've just found I have a couple of films which are marked Region 3 and they do play OK.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, stupid mistake. I should have been looking for Region 2 DVD's. in my collection. Obviously marked with a 3, of course they play.That's helpful to know about the Pioneer purchase. I'll go ahead with my BBC order and hope for the best.

Edited by Asmerom

Just a note. The video store in the basement of Airport Plaza carries a decent selection of BBC/Nat Geo/Discovery Channel material on what look like legit licensed editions (either that or they are the very best Chinese copies). It's close to the aquarium and easy to spot. If you join their discount club (100 baht) you get 10% off purchases.

I bought the boxed set of Planet Earth for 900 baht there. It's 5 or 6 DVD's, comes with Thai subtitles and both English and Thai soundtracks which makes it brilliant for kids. My family loved it and I've since bought another set and sent them overseas to my brother and his Thai wife since it's the only way they can get to see it in Thai.

Before you order from the Beeb or Amazon, you might find what you are looking for there.