A Warning About Bad Tailor

msjackson

I am just writing this post to warn others about the terrible service and product I received from a tailor in Bangkok so that other members don't have to go through the same experience I did.

I have travelled to Bangkok a few times and this time I thought I would finally purchase a suit from one of the many tailors. I was staying around Soi 11 and visited a few tailors to compare prices and quality and ended up at xxxxx tailors in Sukhumvit Soi 11/1

The shop was pretty dirty and in obvious need of a refit but when I saw the finishing of the suits they had already made for other customers I was quite impressed so decided to give them a try.

I opted for a suit from their "mid price" range and was quite surprised with the price I was offered, over 11,000 Baht with the options I chose. This was almost double what I was quoted for a similar suit around the Khaosan Road area. When I questioned this I was told that they use "fake" fabrics and that the fabrics that I chose were the real deal and it was worth the extra money so I agreed to pay as I was told that the suits were a Cashmere/Wool mix which I know is expensive and the lining was 100% silk which I know is not cheap too.

As soon as I paid my deposit everything changed. Suddenly they were unwilling to come to my hotel to do my fitting and I had to come to the store. When I complained about the fit I was told that I was wrong and that the fit was correct, even though it wasn't what I wanted. The more I argued the less I got so I ended up taking the suit as it was and having to pay for an adjustment at another tailors.

Within one week I had four seams coming undone on the suit, it was literally falling apart. I took it to a dry cleaners to be repaired and washed and it came back looking ten years older - the fabric had faded and bobbled all over and was almost unwearable. I took it to a friend of mine who imports fabrics and he told me that the suit fabric was for sure 60% polyester at least and the rest just cheap wool, the lining was nowhere near 100% silk, 20% if I am lucky.

Now just a couple of months on and my suit is in the bin and my confidence in xxxxx tailors similarly so.

I hope that my story will save one person the experience that I received and it will be worth my time writing here.

Chris.

There are a number of threads on the topic. A wise reader will read them. Lots of good advice in them. I know I was saved from the short jacket fiasco. (The typical "tailor" makes a tunic length, not a jacket length. I am not in the service of the Raj, thank you.}

After having 3 tailored suits in Bangkok over the years I've gone back to off the rack (Boss, Paul Smith, Givenchy, Ferraegamo), fortunately I'm a very average shape for suits (i.e. 6 ft tall, 85 kgs) so I have no real issue to a quality fit as I like it.

Suits from the tailors recommended on this forum have been nothing more than average (Raja's, Narrys etc) and I've seen my friends suits too.

I have not found a decent tailor in Bangkok - I thought I had in Raja's, but a few months on the suit has not lasted as expected.

Edited by richard_smith237

I have used Emporium tailors for around 6 years. Located between the Dubliner Irish pub and the Emporium. I have three suits and one tux and never had a problem with them.

Resonable prices, a little more than other tailors but with these guys you do get what you pay for.

All of my shirts for work are from them as well, I probably buy around 25 pieces every 6 months or so and have always been happy with the quality.

Give them a try.

Found the same thing also, but with Narry's I didn't even get as far as looking at fabrics....they were so disinterested they could hardly be bothered to reply, so out we walked.

At first I was happy with price, service and choice offered at Bangkok tailors and for the first few weeks happy wearing the suits themselves. After that you begin to notice the fabric deteriorating in texture, shape not as good as you first thought and the general feel of the suit not being great. So you go back to good off the rail brands that cost 3 times more and you end up being content for 2 years.

It's kind of like the sunglasses and watches...all the fakes look great and do the job, so you feel happy. After a month they fall apart or stain so you end up replacing them. In the end you buy the real thing which over time, wears better, looks better and only costs a bit more than the multiple cheapies you would have bought.

Msjackson, I had the same experience in Pattaya. The "tailor" was very nice initially. After I had paid a deposit, everything went downhill. My suit didn't fit at all (and still doesn't), yet he insisted it was perfect and didn't need alterations. Such shops are nothing but fronts for scam artists.

Msjackson, I had the same experience in Pattaya. The "tailor" was very nice initially. After I had paid a deposit, everything went downhill. My suit didn't fit at all (and still doesn't), yet he insisted it was perfect and didn't need alterations. Such shops are nothing but fronts for scam artists.

Rickys is good on Suk, opposite the police box near Nana. Not had anything bad from there...bit pricy though, but you pay for what you get.

RE, tailors in Pattaya....<deleted> me....about 10 yrs ago I took them a picture of a casual Armani jacket, which include an embroided dragon. No problem says the shop hand we can do it for sure. Had the fitting ect.....although at this time there was no sign of the embroiding I especially requested. I was due to leave for a trip back home in two days and the tailor (the cheeky monkey) knew this, anyways as Im waiting for the taxi to take me to DM here runs the tailor with my new jacket, Thanks says I and rush to see the quailty, by this time the guy has done one. To my surprise my embroided dragon turned out to be a wonderweb job taken off a pair of old Thai boxing shorts, suffice to say the jacket was then given to a motocy driver, to keep for when its cold. :)

My advice...don't hand over a Baht until its exactly what you asked for and fits well. TIT

After having 3 tailored suits in Bangkok over the years I've gone back to off the rack (Boss, Paul Smith, Givenchy, Ferraegamo), fortunately I'm a very average shape for suits (i.e. 6 ft tall, 85 kgs) so I have no real issue to a quality fit as I like it.

Suits from the tailors recommended on this forum have been nothing more than average (Raja's, Narrys etc) and I've seen my friends suits too.

I have not found a decent tailor in Bangkok - I thought I had in Raja's, but a few months on the suit has not lasted as expected.

I agree with you mate. Having said that, I have tried to buy suits off the rack and being almost exactly the same height/weight as you, have found that the trouser legs are way too wide, so I don't buy them.

I'm too paranoid about fabric quality so I buy my own fabric, then take it to a tailor I know I can trust (Harrot in Fortune Town). I'm still looking for a store that sells real cashmere and other wool, but I go to Jim Thompson's silk outlet on Surawong, (not the retail store near Rama 4, but the outlet near the other end of the street), because I know I can trust the quality.

I'd like to find somewhere that I can get a stone-washed, rough weaved, or otherwise distressed silk jacket here. I want a silk suit jacket, but I don't like the shiny stuff that is common. I keep an eye out for fabric, but I haven't seen any here. Has anyone seen this?

This is a typical scam that has been going on here in Bangkok for 25 years

The tailors take advantage of your lack of knowledge and they can spot a newbie in one second

Had you taken someone familiar with Bangkok Tailors with you, this never would have happened

They have the benefit of knowing their business survives because of all the new customers they can trap

I have used the same tailor over and over and over

If there happens to be a new salesman in there that starts this crap, I tell him to go get the owner

As soon as they know who you are, they won't try this trick

Unfortunately these Indians and what now are getting rich in Thailand doing this and money rules here

PS there is no such thing as a good tailor around Sukhumvit.

If they think they can scam you, they certainly will

Best advice is go with someone the shop is already familiar with

Edited by Nio

honestly speaking..how about the likes of rajawongse? thought they were supposed to be excellent or smth..although i have never tried them out!

I have however been using Crown Tailors quite frequently over the years and have found them to continue to do a good job. Whats best is they know what they're doing and they don't want the money upfront ! So it's good that you get to fix what you want till you're completely happy! I duno..again..i don't know what an expert in a suit is, but what I get from them compared to what i've seen my friends get..i'm a very happy and loyal customer!!

I have never had a suit made in Thailand that wasn't inferior in every way to a decent off the rack job. Before entering my current career I spent years working in the fashion trade so I know a little about cloth and cutting. The problem is that however great the tailors are they mainly send them to sweat shops to be made up. So if you buy two suits they will be made up by different minimum wage stitchers. A few tailors might have their own people but who?? Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear when dealing with tailors here.

If you do insist on having a suit made here. Except no less than three fittings. Make sure you tell the tailor this before you start. Believe your own eyes. That ruck in the neck WILL NOT drop out when you wear it. If the suit collar does not fit snug against your shirt collar it never will. A 12 hour suit will not fit ever!

If you want a good reasonably priced suit whip down to Ted Baker and get one of their Endurance range at around 300 GBP. For a little more, Paul Smith do one of the best cuts in the Business with great linings.

Having said that I use Jackies in Sukhumvit (on the corner of Soi 9) for shirts. These are as good as they get. At 1200-1500 a pop they are worth every baht.

If you want a good reasonably priced suit whip down to Ted Baker and get one of their Endurance range at around 300 GBP. For a little more, Paul Smith do one of the best cuts in the Business with great linings.

Yep, I second that. No comparison to the local tailors' efforts.

I admit not having read the OP, but if it was one of those "Within 24 hours" jobs then in all honestly I don't think you can expect much else.

My tailor can take a week or even longer to make me a suit, with several fittings needed. One of the suits that I have from him still in excellent condition despite being about 9 years old and worn regularly. He has also adjusted my suits for me recently as my waistline has expanded, free of charge of course.

He is a Thai guy and it is a "Dioni" taylor on Sukhumvit near Soi 20. You pay a little more, but it is definitely worth the extra.

Try eBay. There are tons of reputable 2nd Hand Shops. In Germany, i ordered many a brand name EUR 750 - 1.250 jacket for 10 till 100 Euros. No syntethics for me! Woven silk with wool or some linen might be good for Thailand, even 100% woven silk.

Search for bespoke - there are Savile Row icons' suits for sale, too. Also real floating canvas, just keep looking.

A KITON of your size might be better than anything you can buy locally. And I found n e w DAKS etc. jackets marked down from like 500 to 29.99 pounds. Just keep looking!

You were swindled - this fabric was the cheapest and nastiest polyester. They see you as a one-time sucker and anything goes. You won't be back and there will be new people coming... who have no idea about suits, working button holes on a jacket or vents.

Most of the work is outsourced anyhow to some sweat shop. The profit margin must be staggering at 11,000 with the chapest cloth etc.

Closing, why not name the shop?

Chris

I picked up a reasonable suit from a place called Pierre Boutique about four years ago. They are in the mini-mall attached to the Intercontinental Hotel. I only occasionally wear suits so can't really comment on how well it's lasted as I've only worn it a handful of times since I purchased it.