What Is Required To Apply For A Work Permit?

Does anyone know or have a good idea about what visa I need to get the work permit process rolling? Will a simple visa on arrival do or do I need to get a 60 day tourist visa or will nothing but a non-immigrant visa do?

My situation is a bit esoteric and I haven't found anything similar. Mahidol University is trying to get me on the staff of one of the faculties as a "foreign expert." :) The woman who knew a little bit about what I needed to do to get a non-immigrant B and work permit just quit and nobody knows what to do. From what I have found out we have everything in order but there's a snag with my visa and the work permit.

Already, we have tried, like blindfolded people in the dark, to change what was a student visa to a non-immigrant and immigration simply canceled my student visa and stamped a get out by this date or else stamp in my passport.

After getting the get out by this date stamp at immigration, the Mahidol staff took my passport to the Ministry of Labor and it was they who pointed out that I no longer had a visa and as far as I can tell they couldn't even accept an application. Immigration had told me not to worry that they had given me a 10 day visa. Maybe they had, but The Ministry of labor doesn't think so.

So, again here's my question, what visa do I need to get the work permit process rolling? Will a simple visa on arrival do or do I need to get a 60 day tourist visa or will nothing but a non-immigrant visa do?

Basically any visa (or even visa exempt 30 days) will do to start the WP application process.

Once you have done your application you will receive a WP3 form.

It is that form (amongst some other paperwork) which is needed to obtain a non immigrant B visa at an embassy/consulate in one of the neighboring countries.

Once you return with this visa, the labor department can issue you with the actual work permit.

Have a look at the link below which details the papers required to obtain Non-B visa in the region. You will need to provide the consulate with the receipt provided by the local labour office on submission of work permit application (done using Form WP3). KL would be a good place to go. Will be single entry visa first time around, but can obtain multiple entry visa later when work permit is available, or alternatively obtain extension of stay based on employment from Thai immigration if you meet the requirements.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492