Villagers Burning Garbage, What To Do ?

ManilaLover

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here too

wife pretty upset. chinese neighbors called already the police.

police can't do anything as the place is between two districts so both are not responsible.....

The other thing is that they are shooting there birds all the time and the lead is falling down on our house....

That's how it is to livein countryside. I lived in Korat for one year. Never north of Bangkok again!

Let the Thais have the villages to themself.

Edited by bellste

Do the villagers have a garbage collection?

If they do you could always ask them nicely not to burn their garbage.

If not what else can they do with it?

What do you do with yours?

That's how it is to live in the countryside. I lived in Korat for one year. Never north of Bangkokagain! What you do? Move away!

Edited by bellste

Can't seem to train the wife that wet plastic doesn't burn. She's very touchy so I can't really approach the subject. I think I'm going to bury the stuff in future.

looks like you are the perfect couple :D

dirty people.

Thanks for the Insult. :D 59 posts . I wonder if you'll make 100 :)

the point is that burning and burrying plastic is real discusting and harms the earth a lot, i think you should not do that. if you collect the plastic in a large bag reclyclers will melt it to make new plastic out of it (though i wonder what nice unfiltered fumes such factories produce)

if environment is,nt an issue at all here (and many other developing places on earth) in europe we also better stop our money slurping efforts to make the environment , because it's not gonna work this way.

love/respect yourself and your children - love/respect the earth

Sometimes i actually think Thailand is better organized than the west,recycleable stuff like cardboard tins and bottles are collected by people who earn there entire living from it,and you are also given money for them to take it away! this does not happen in the west.

There's definitely room in this market to shut the little guy/gal out. Along the lines of what Wongpanich already does but also employing more of their own collectors (like the big publicly listed companies back home). You can employ armies of thousands at 200 baht a day and there is no doubt that they could collect well in excess of their daily wage 'value' in plastic, glass, aluminum, etc., operating from dozens of outposts (on relatively worthless land) all over the country. Would do it myself but don't want to have to setup offices amidst huge piles of garbage, also the parents have mentioned that they don't want their first son to be in money lending AND waste management.

:)

Wrap your potato's up in foil and throw them on.

I was also guilty about burning my trash untill I realised we do have a bin man coming around.

The village supplied us with a wheelie bin and we pay 20 baht a month.

I collected a sh!t load of plastic outside and inside my land yesterday, kids with there <deleted> milk cartons from school and like MJP said the plastic from every store you go to whatever you buy.

Good luck to the OP if he wants to educate them. It's like trying to tell them every farang is not rich.

THEY WILL NOT LISTEN.

Can't seem to train the wife that wet plastic doesn't burn. She's very touchy so I can't really approach the subject. I think I'm going to bury the stuff in future.

looks like you are the perfect couple :D

dirty people.

Thanks for the Insult. :D 59 posts . I wonder if you'll make 100 :)

the point is that burning and burrying plastic is real discusting and harms the earth a lot, i think you should not do that. if you collect the plastic in a large bag reclyclers will melt it to make new plastic out of it (though i wonder what nice unfiltered fumes such factories produce)

if environment is,nt an issue at all here (and many other developing places on earth) in europe we also better stop our money slurping efforts to make the environment , because it's not gonna work this way.

love/respect yourself and your children - love/respect the earth

I only burn/burry plastic bags etc. that the recycler will not take. Which isn't much. What do you think happens to the items that your recycler doesn't take. Next time your refuse collection comes around follow them and see what they do with it. Burn , Burry or just fly tip I suspect.

I'm not saying its any better in Europe. Britain has a huge problem with waste.

Things are getting better though

Oh, and I do love/respect my wife, my Mia Noi and my Children and also the Earth :D

Good Luck with the Education , As Lonstebe says they just won't listen

Sometimes i actually think Thailand is better organized than the west,recycleable stuff like cardboard tins and bottles are collected by people who earn there entire living from it,and you are also given money for them to take it away! this does not happen in the west.

There's definitely room in this market to shut the little guy/gal out. Along the lines of what Wongpanich already does but also employing more of their own collectors (like the big publicly listed companies back home). You can employ armies of thousands at 200 baht a day and there is no doubt that they could collect well in excess of their daily wage 'value' in plastic, glass, aluminum, etc., operating from dozens of outposts (on relatively worthless land) all over the country. Would do it myself but don't want to have to setup offices amidst huge piles of garbage, also the parents have mentioned that they don't want their first son to be in money lending AND waste management.

Where there"s muck there"s brass!!!

A massive business recycling and waste management,Thailand is where the uk was in the 40"s/50"s

When I first arrived in Thailand some 5 years ago, there was this thick haze of smoke everywhere. It smelt like plastic burning amongst another bushfire smell. I brought this to the attention of my Thai friend who immediately called it "fog". A small argument ensued whereby the meaning of "fog" was discussed. The result was that Thailand fog is different to the fog in western countries & it had nothing to do with fires.

A massive business recycling and waste management,Thailand is where the uk was in the 40"s/50"s

The UK is hardly a shinning example to recycling. Thailand is on par if not better

Wrap your potato's up in foil and throw them on.

I was also guilty about burning my trash untill I realised we do have a bin man coming around.

The village supplied us with a wheelie bin and we pay 20 baht a month.

I collected a sh!t load of plastic outside and inside my land yesterday, kids with there <deleted> milk cartons from school and like MJP said the plastic from every store you go to whatever you buy.

Good luck to the OP if he wants to educate them. It's like trying to tell them every farang is not rich.

THEY WILL NOT LISTEN.

hehe.. i'm not planning to try educate them i'm not a missionary, but you can give a little hint sometimes.

after i started to buy rice in those perfect 6-liter Minere or Nestlé watercans i suggested the local rice seller she could use these too. i drink few cans a week and from then on i give her my empty cans and indeed she started to sell rice in the watercans, she saves on plastic bags and villagers bring their can when buying rice... perfect.

these cans have such high quality they can last for a lifetime. also perfect for storage of dogfood etc, and i wonder what's the worth of a can full of coins, must be enought to buy a motorbike :)

But manilalover your not in your country which many of the people on Thaivisa forget.

As the wizard said to Dorothy your not in Kansas any more

but a healty environment is not a taboo to talk about right, it seems even some foreigners living in thailand still have to learn about how to love your (guest) country. when defending local cultures and customs i really think the country may have some benefits too :)

thailand is nice enough to invest in !

Sometimes i actually think Thailand is better organized than the west,recycleable stuff like cardboard tins and bottles are collected by people who earn there entire living from it,and you are also given money for them to take it away! this does not happen in the west.Just after new year the man was round with his cart and scales...easy and a good service!

You can think of anything in Thailand and it is used and recycled many times to get the most out of it,the Thais are past masters at getting something out of nothing and where materials come into again they are really versatile and creative.

The burning does go on as i have seen it a lot but nothing worse than the illegal tipping that goes on in the west,you will not stop them burning stuff it is ingrained especially in the villages,maybe in the cities there is more of a chance?

What a load of uninformed rubbish !

My aussie home is in the Moreton Bay Shire, and we have .......

1) Regular garbage collections, the council provide "Wheelie Bins" black ones for general rubbish and green ones for recyclable garbage.

2) The garbage is broken up into seperate recyclable components, i.e. Paper/Cardboard, Glass, Plastic, metal and so on.

3) For those who do not get the regular collection, there are strictly controlled free tips with large industrial bins for the different types of garbage, tip attendants are constantly on duty to assist anyone who needs to know where to put the rubbish.

4) All rotting houshold waste is constantly covered by a bulldozer pushing earth over the top, so little smell and flies etc

5) We also have a section for unwanted plants, weeds, grass cuttings, trees and any general greenstuffs. This goes into one hugh dumping point, on a regular basis when the heap is big enough the council bring in a mulching machine and turns it into mulch which the public can collect free of charge for their gardens.............................Where in the bloody hel_l does this happen in Thailand.

Sometimes i actually think Thailand is better organized than the west,recycleable stuff like cardboard tins and bottles are collected by people who earn there entire living from it,and you are also given money for them to take it away! this does not happen in the west.Just after new year the man was round with his cart and scales...easy and a good service!

You can think of anything in Thailand and it is used and recycled many times to get the most out of it,the Thais are past masters at getting something out of nothing and where materials come into again they are really versatile and creative.

The burning does go on as i have seen it a lot but nothing worse than the illegal tipping that goes on in the west,you will not stop them burning stuff it is ingrained especially in the villages,maybe in the cities there is more of a chance?

What a load of uninformed rubbish !

My aussie home is in the Moreton Bay Shire, and we have .......

1) Regular garbage collections, the council provide "Wheelie Bins" black ones for general rubbish and green ones for recyclable garbage.

2) The garbage is broken up into seperate recyclable components, i.e. Paper/Cardboard, Glass, Plastic, metal and so on.

3) For those who do not get the regular collection, there are strictly controlled free tips with large industrial bins for the different types of garbage, tip attendants are constantly on duty to assist anyone who needs to know where to put the rubbish.

4) All rotting houshold waste is constantly covered by a bulldozer pushing earth over the top, so little smell and flies etc

5) We also have a section for unwanted plants, weeds, grass cuttings, trees and any general greenstuffs. This goes into one hugh dumping point, on a regular basis when the heap is big enough the council bring in a mulching machine and turns it into mulch which the public can collect free of charge for their gardens.............................Where in the bloody hel_l does this happen in Thailand.

p.s. I forgot to mention that "backyard burning" is strictly forbidden ! and subject to heavy fines................match that Thailand .

I only burn/burry plastic bags etc. that the recycler will not take. Which isn't much. What do you think happens to the items that your recycler doesn't take. Next time your refuse collection comes around follow them and see what they do with it. Burn , Burry or just fly tip I suspect.

Oh, and I do love/respect my wife, my Mia Noi and my Children and also the Earth :D

if i would not have a weekly garbage collector here i would never burn nor bury the old plastic but store it in a barrel in the corner of my garden, at least then you keep control over it and it does not spread, can be replaced easily.

in Netherlands they recycle ALL kinds of plastic, the worst ones reappear into new garbage bags, high quality street bollards and park benches, all in black. this way they also save on wood.

oh im not afffiliated with greenpeace and don't wish so :)

ps, can you add a pic of your mia noi ? just curious.

Edited by ManilaLover

if i would not have a weekly garbage collector here i would never burn nor bury the old plastic but store it in a barrel in the corner of my garden, at least then you keep control over it and it does not spread, can be replaced easily.

in Netherlands they recycle ALL kinds of plastic, the worst ones reappear into new garbage bags, high quality street bollards and park banches, all in black. this way they also save on wood.

oh im not afffiliated with greenpeace and don't wish so :D

ps, can you add a pic of your mia noi ? just curious.

Ah. The Netherlands. I suspect light years ahead of the UK on the recycling front.

I keep my Mia Noi in the Barrel in the corner of the garden for similar reasons. Why would you be interested in photo's of the Mia Noi rather than the Wife ? Your thinking Plaything right !? :D ........ Wrong ! :)

Anyway, back on topic, I'm quite impressed with your rice in a bottle thing. I might try it myself with my village should be good for a laugh :D

Seriously though, Keep up the Good work :D

The UK is hardly a shinning example to recycling. Thailand is on par if not better

Well, i don't know which part of the UK you are 'ratting' on about, but i was on holiday in Dorset from oz, back in september, and they were very 'fussy' about putting out their seperated and recyclable garbage to be collected in different coloured bags etc., never seen this in Thailand.............. yet !

Anyway, back on topic, I'm quite impressed with your rice in a bottle thing. I might try it myself with my village should be good for a laugh :)

Seriously though, Keep up the Good work :D

the rice-in-a-bottle-thing actually started because i had a crush on her daughter :D but it worked out well (with the bottles).

Well, i don't know which part of the UK you are 'ratting' on about, but i was on holiday in Dorset from oz, back in september, and they were very 'fussy' about putting out their seperated and recyclable garbage to be collected in different coloured bags etc., never seen this in Thailand.............. yet !

The point i was making is that in the Uk you actually have to pay a bloody lot of money to get your recycling taken away

(council tax)the same as you do in Aus yes? mine was 1000 pound last year!

In Thailand YOU get payed for supplying your rubbish for someone to come and sort it and dispose of it ok!! that of course is in the village where i live...so as you kindly put it,uninformed rubbish it is not!

As for the mass waste management and where it eventually ends up??? land fill sites and recycling centres then this as i stated in my post is way behind the west and of course Australia by many a year.

And also in the uk fly tipping is a massive problem due to the excessive fees charged to local contractors by landfill sites.

I hope i have made it clear now for you,out of interest how much garbage tax do you pay in Aus for the pleasure of getting your rubbish taken away?

My wife burns the rubbish every evening because there is no garbage collection where we live. I close the all windows, works for me.

What a pity that you don't have a car because then you could bring it away once a week, that burning is a very bad habit !!!

He had a car, but his wife burnt it.

But we are saving up for a motorbike now :)

In the village where I live, we have a garbage collection five times a week. Everybody saves some stuff to make a little fire now and then. My mother in law starts her charcoal stove (to roast fish e.g.) with plastic, because it burns so well.

And people wonder about the cancer rate......burning or incomplete combustion of wet plastics, lovely!

I think you should suggest to the Poo Yai Baan that he bring in an international refuse disposal consultant who could advise your home owners association how to best handle this problem. He might advise, for example, that each household purchase trash compactors which would allow for easy collection and disposal by a certified agency to the local refuse dumping area.

Get real, you live amongst a bunch of under educated peasants, what to you really expect them to do?

Heng, more money in waste management and there is always a stream of it.

Afew years ago we had a guy burning garbage( everyone thinks it was his mom, he took the rap) well the fire got out of the barrel and spread thru the forest. It took a week to put it out and burned several thousand acres. You could see were the fire started and spread out in a triangle and consumed the forest, so be careful burning garbage.