Rose Of The North, Maybe ....

KevinHunt

I noticed the other day that the work on the canal near Duang Tawan hotel has come to a halt and the water is black as can be and extremely smelly. I notice that the banner asking for donations is still there but presumably they aren't getting the funds required. What I don't understand is how this problem has never been resolved - it really does stink to high heaven and is very close to the Night Bazaar - many tourists cross the bridge to get to the Night Bazaar, and of course quite a few houses back onto it. Does anyone have any inside info as to why it is in such a bad state. I heard years ago that they were going to pump water into it, but that never happened. They did line it with cement and create a nice walkway with decorative street lights about 6-7 years ago but never finished the job.

On a similar vein, why are some drains more smelly than others? The one along Loi Kroh never gives out a particularly bad odour, and yet the one along Ratawitti Rd has always been smelly, as far as I can remember. A question of volume maybe (Night Bazaar hotels possibly disperse lots more water into the Loi Kroh/ Night Bazar drains?).

Well I am a relative nerwcomer to CM but I was told ,when remarking to a local about the smell, that they were in fact open sewers and work on rectifying the problems had been delayed many times. Sure smell like a sewer with a lot of grey water added.

Thats a river that comes from the NW of the city, into the mountain. You can follow these for quite a few miles up the hill. Maybe there's no water on the mountain. Its been getting dryer and dryer. If the Mountain is more brown, then this is probably what's happening.

Thats a river that comes from the NW of the city, into the mountain. You can follow these for quite a few miles up the hill. Maybe there's no water on the mountain. Its been getting dryer and dryer. If the Mountain is more brown, then this is probably what's happening.

Not quite. This stream (Mae Khaa canal) has been a stinking black cesspool forever - all year long. It isn't brown it is black, and it stinks. I've never seen it flow beyond a trickle. I'm not sure where it originates, but it comes from the North of Lanna hospital.

Not quite. This stream (Mae Khaa canal) has been a stinking black cesspool forever - all year long. It isn't brown it is black, and it stinks. I've never seen it flow beyond a trickle. I'm not sure where it originates, but it comes from the North of Lanna hospital.

I guess there is only one way to confirm its content, other than source, and thats to don some rubber gloves, get a sample and take to one of the universities for testing . Any volunteers ? My info was that it was sewage seepage from old tanks and the like

I guess there is only one way to confirm its content, other than source, and thats to don some rubber gloves, get a sample and take to one of the universities for testing . Any volunteers ? My info was that it was sewage seepage from old tanks and the like

Welll they had it flowing last year some time for 2 or 3 months. It was quite nice. But did'nt last and soon returned to its usual situation... Sometimes it;s been almost dry. Maybe it's a seasonal thing. Why dont youi take a sample in to one of the offices of the Tambun ( next to White Chedi) or take it to Chiang Mai friends.

But note, Thais will not appreciate your showing them up. Howver if you went through a Thai friend, then you'd at least make it to step two. Good luck.

I once came across a man trying to lever off one of the concrete sections covering the sewer. he had dropped his keys down it. Being of a robust physical build, i lifted the section for him, then he had to fish around in the sewerage with his bare hands to get the keys. Rather him than me.

• 2 weeks later...

They build wastewater treatment plants for it about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, the only goal for building those plants (I think it were 20 plants) was corruption. They never functioned.

Later, when Thaksin came in to power, he promised, with very loud and long speeches, that the water in Chiang Mai would be compeltely clean within 2 years. I think that was around 2003 something...................

This is Thailand my friends.