What's The Used Laptop Market Like?

ding

I want to sell a couple of used laptops and I thought I'd bring them next time we go to Thailand.

What's popular? Are they generally more expensive than in America? Will good used laptops even sell there?

I know even the slower computer parts are more than in the US.

Thanks!

I doubt there is ANY market for used laptops.

Laptops are not expensive here, especially the mainstream brands (Acer, Compaq,...).

Laptops are those things where you buy one, 6 months down the line you can get one faster for less then what you paid.

So unless you want to sell very cheap you'll have no chance, with likely better and faster new machines available at what you would consider a good price for your slower/older used one.

Add on top that repairs are expensive on laptops, so another reason why people are reluctant to buy one. Most likely the battery won't have much life left and they are expensive as well.

Of course you can sell used laptops - either on online classifieds like the TV ones, or to the dealer. I have done it before. The price you will get is what's that spec machine new today, divide by two. Which won't be much.

I think you'd be better off selling on large classifieds sites at home, ebay or craigslist (depending on where you are). You can also compare prices there. Prices in Thailand would be similar if you sold it direct to somebody but the online market is underdeveloped in this country compared to others. In the USA, you'll have thousands of people look at your posts, and you'll have lots of people looking for what you are selling. Here - maybe one or two if you're lucky.

Used Macs are a much easier sell, in part because new ones are expensive. PCs - definitely better off selling back home. New PC prices in Thailand are the same as USA prices. Cheap.

I have sold a used MacBook Pro in Thailand for 50k baht, another one a few years later for 30k baht. And I sold my old PC laptop which cost I think 45k baht new, for 15k baht to a dealer. Was lucky to get that.

Edited by nikster

Thanks for the sound advice folks. I recall seeing the high prices at Pantip and was wondering if laptops, with original legal apps loaded, would be valued there on the secondary market.

Oh well...

I would imagine that the increasing popularity of very cheap but feature laden "Netbooks" would also be cutting deeply into the market for used notebooks.

Thailand, like most nations, has laws prohibiting the import of used computers and other hi-tech equipment without a host of permits. Although they allow visitors to bring in one or two for personal use, any more than that would certainly raise questions at customs.

Thanks for the sound advice folks. I recall seeing the high prices at Pantip and was wondering if laptops, with original legal apps loaded, would be valued there on the secondary market.

Oh well...

I shop every week at Carrefour, as you go in Laptops are in front of you so cannot help noticing them, most appear to range from 13 - 20,000 baht, sure there are others + more expensive but not right in front of you.. Last time I was at IT Seer Rangsit noticed not very old laptops were around 7,000 baht so decided not to sell my 7yr old Sony expensive when new laptop, keep it as a spare/backup

Edit: The other major factors on buying new is there warranted and monthly credit to buy

Edited by ignis