Crackdown On Alcohol Sales Violations In Phuket

george

It should also be noted that the 'ban' on selling before 5pm can be circumvented by buying in 'bulk'. 12 bottles of anything (mixed even) is counted as bulk, so if I want to buy a bottle of wine, I just buy a crate of beer with it. A 'bulk' buy is usually less than 20 dollars!

[.quote]

the time restrictions on alcohol sales is NOT A LAW and cannot be enforced .... it is Thaksin Governernment which passed a bill which had NOT BEEN ENDORSED as a law and then asked from cooperation from the companies such as seven eleven and carrefour/tesco/bigc to fight the rampant alcohol abuse..... but technically no one can fine you or take you to jail for buying and drinking between 12:00-11:00 and 14:00-17:00 .... the hypocrisy in this is also that you can buy bulk but not just 1 bottle .....

This is quite interesting. I had understood that the Thaksin government dusted off an earlier decree made during a military (unelected) government. The government was later thrown out, but the decree stayed on the books like so many other pieces of detritus.

Can anyone confirm the true origin of this law, and also whether it is or is not legally enforceable?

Thanks.

the law should not apply to a good red wine

health benefits and all that

From what I've seen since coming to Thailand is that there are so many wine drinkers - rich Thais & foreigners - that the whole island is becoming a haven for winos. Seriously. Thailand has the most stupid laws I have ever heard of. I have never seen one of these kids in uniforms - some still on the streets all dressed up and no place to go - all over the place. Never have I seen even one of them with a bottle or can of beer or a wine bottle. This is just another of the ridiculous laws Thanksin left us with. God help us - farangs which he hates worse than life itself - if the coward ever gets back in this country!

[.quote]

the time restrictions on alcohol sales is NOT A LAW and cannot be enforced .... it is Thaksin Governernment which passed a bill which had NOT BEEN ENDORSED as a law and then asked from cooperation from the companies such as seven eleven and carrefour/tesco/bigc to fight the rampant alcohol abuse..... but technically no one can fine you or take you to jail for buying and drinking between 12:00-11:00 and 14:00-17:00 .... the hypocrisy in this is also that you can buy bulk but not just 1 bottle .....

This is quite interesting. I had understood that the Thaksin government dusted off an earlier decree made during a military (unelected) government. The government was later thrown out, but the decree stayed on the books like so many other pieces of detritus.

Can anyone confirm the true origin of this law, and also whether it is or is not legally enforceable?

Thanks.

It was in the magazine that comes with the weekend edition, he said the info was backed up by a lawyer, can't see the Post publishing it if it if not right. I have been into some 7/11's which ignore the 'ban' Actually it is good for the little shops, never been into one of these who refused to sell at any time.

When a visiting friend saw something that seemed unsafe or unsavory, show would ask me, "Don't that have a law against that?"

"Of course they do!" was my usual reply. "There's a law against anything their might be a law against in your country. The difference is, they don't really enforce laws here."

Think about how fleeting these things are: Crackdown, Globalhub, Worldclass, Traffic lights.... Some days they work, other days they are shut off, at times the timer works well, other times it does not work, the coundown timer at times works.... So I went thru yesterday without a light, but today I need to stop, but nobody coming, and no police, or the timers are just fuc_ked up and its way too long to wait, so just go.

Can not buy, but you can, but only sometimes, but not never, and if caught, or not caught, can pay or not pay or bribe or not bribe or be in trouble or not or.... what can the thai's respect....

The baskets this year had one large bottle of water in place of where the bottle of booze went, so get the booze and basket, change the water with booze and back to normal. Respect what?

Many Thai's look suprised when I say that they can't do "that", why they ask....

listened to a talk on ted.com about making anti corruption a for profit private business that would cost much less to not pay a bribe than to pay the bribe. Not sure how the model will work, but interesting idea if anti corruption was for profit then lots of guys would go for it....

Phuket seems to have crack down after crack down. Rude shop keepers, overly expensive, little English, people that grab your arm and won't let go, to get you into a restaurant, shop, or massage parlor, and Taxis / tuk tuks that are just out right rip offs. Hotels that up their prices 150-200% in high season. It appears they are doing everything they can to drive off tourism. I've been there once, and will never go again. I advise everyone I know to skip Phuket on their tour through Thailand. No matter what people say about BKK, or Pattaya,,, Phuket is truly the butt hole of Thailand.

Edited by Lovedog100

I love this country,but what are they thinking,"Crack Down On Alcohol Sales Violations"..How about these homemade bars that are all over Sukhumvit Road when the ligitimate bars close,do you know that the creeps that drink at these places actually are asked for a bar fine when they cuddle -up with one of those wee hour lovelies..I would have to think that these crummy establishments are perhaps in violation of alcohol sales,considering they have no license to sell alcohol.I'm sure there are some health violations as well,the customers just urinate in the street. Not a pretty sight for what is supposed to be a world class city.......but for some reason they go along every night without any interference...ummmmmm..My lord how is that possible :)

yes, it boggles the mind wondering how this can go on under the noses of the boys in brown just down the block... hmmmm :D

I've been having weird dreams lately, jungle drums or something. It's actually the disco which has extended, and the bass beat keeps an entire suburb (Lamai, Koh Samui) in restless sleep till around 6 a.m. The BIB here don't seem to have crackdowns on licensing laws, if they know they exist, or perhaps they are all deaf, blind and stupid. But certainly not corrupt. to suggest that would be against TV policy.

crackdown should be on all violations, not just from time to time, during holidays.

the purpose of this law was to prevent youth from drinking

I love this country,but what are they thinking,"Crack Down On Alcohol Sales Violations"..How about these homemade bars that are all over Sukhumvit Road when the ligitimate bars close,do you know that the creeps that drink at these places actually are asked for a bar fine when they cuddle -up with one of those wee hour lovelies..I would have to think that these crummy establishments are perhaps in violation of alcohol sales,considering they have no license to sell alcohol.I'm sure there are some health violations as well,the customers just urinate in the street. Not a pretty sight for what is supposed to be a world class city.......but for some reason they go along every night without any interference...ummmmmm..My lord how is that possible :)

Hmmm, by reading your post it would seem that you are upset by something else? Why are you slamming the "Creeps" that drink in those places? You don't like it, then go home punter wannabee.

How ridiculous. A law that was introduced by a convicted criminal and former Prime 'Monster', trying to appear addressing a problem, to stop "school kids" from buying alcohol by restricting sales between certain hours... Terrific for the main income suppliers - tourism - you think kids spend more on booze? With restricted hours, even better for local manufacturers of the beverages - they love you (not). About time you stop wasting energy and effort on minor issues and address your real issues of government (lack there of) and corruption which is completely out of control.

Get a life Thailand. You are really backward in coming forward. And by the way - I can buy booze anytime at the places I go to so again, your laws are ineffectual. Talk about buffalos ... :)

A CRACKDOWN on taxi and tuk tuk thugs might produce a better image! Abolishing the two-tiered price system would be also a great crackdown.

Phuket seems to have crack down after crack down. Rude shop keepers, overly expensive, little English, people that grab your arm and won't let go, to get you into a restaurant, shop, or massage parlor, and Taxis / tuk tuks that are just out right rip offs. Hotels that up their prices 150-200% in high season. It appears they are doing everything they can to drive off tourism. I've been there once, and will never go again. I advise everyone I know to skip Phuket on their tour through Thailand. No matter what people say about BKK, or Pattaya,,, Phuket is truly the butt hole of Thailand.

I totally agree. Just returned from that shit hole. Never again!

According to an Andrew Biggs article in the Bangkok Post last month it is NOT illegal to sell booze at the restricted times 2-5 PM etc. It is only a gvnt request and not law. Thousands of small shops ignore the request, quite rightly but my local which will sell day and night does not do so on elections days when it is illegal. Also I regularly go to Wat concerts and there the law against booze sales is never followed, nor is selling of fake goods.

just what i said earlier

Would have thought there would have been far more important matters to attend to.

Still it's an easy target for the control freaks here in Thailand.

Mao Tse Tung would inded be proud that his ideals are alive and well here in Thailand.

Why do they need to do this crack down?

It is widely known that Thai people don't drink, dont have sex, never fight, never steal, never lie and are virgins until they die of old age, so why the crackdown? maybe they need to get the drunken tourists under control?

What about all the 7-11 and other mini-markets at gasstations???

Thailand is great in making up new laws. but has no power and reliable (enough) police to enforce most of the new laws. They can not even enforce the 'old' laws....

PS how much tax money does the government make on alcohol????? I am sure they don't want to miss out on that.....

CHEERS :)

• 2 weeks later...
The law should be enforced as it was written (or intended). Write laws that can and will be enforced, and only those that will be enforced - to do otherwise opens up the system to corruption.

You obviously have never lived in Thailand... :)

• 3 weeks later...

The good thing and the bad thing here (Thailand) is the law is there basically for Police Co., Ltd. to sort of do with it the way they want... if the cheif dissagrees with a particurar law he will say to the accused we dont want to take this any ferther because I dont think this is a good law so just pay me the fine now and ill let you go... This is a great system as the mor you become budies with the local cop shop the more discounts you can get after breaking the law

The law should be enforced as it was written (or intended). Write laws that can and will be enforced, and only those that will be enforced - to do otherwise opens up the system to corruption.

That's Thailand! 10_1_138.gif