Songkran 2010

theoldgit

• 1 month later...

I don't mind Songkran a bit...it's like a city-wide wet tee-shirt contest that goes on for a week...what's not to like :)

Of course, being safe behind the locked doors of my SUV may have something to do with it...it I was one of those scooter driving farangs, I might have a different opinion.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Songkran is one of my favorite times of year in Pattaya. Why? It is the time of year when the miserable, forgotten how to have fun, I've been here since Nam and all tourists are noobs, flee to other places and even other countries and good riddance to the lot of them.

OK, so there are a few dickheads that go over the top with the water guns that I will agree but overall it is the time of year when the locals like to celebrate the water festival and wait for it....have fun!!! If you don't like water and don't like Songkran then you don't like the Thai way

I have celebrated Songkran in Phuket, Bangkok and in Pattaya and have a great time---one big party of happiness. However for those who live in Pattaya, like myself, and get a week off for holiday (I work in the area) Pattaya keeps up its "Wild Wild West" reputation by NOT following the official two days that are declared as the days for celebrating, but some of the party goers, tourists start about a week before and then it gradually builds up. People (like myself) leave Pattaya not because we are "old farts" or party poopers, but because we do not like getting water thrown at as for a week as we walk to the bank, go to the store and such.. WE HAVE A LIFE. I will celebrate Songkran in Phuket- have my two days of fun, then move on to Bali for holiday. You people that don't have a "LIFE" can stay in Pattaya, and stand out in the streets for a week and throw water at each other.

Edited by chillibilly

Songkran is one of my favorite times of year in Pattaya. Why? It is the time of year when the miserable, forgotten how to have fun, I've been here since Nam and all tourists are noobs, flee to other places and even other countries and good riddance to the lot of them.

OK, so there are a few dickheads that go over the top with the water guns that I will agree but overall it is the time of year when the locals like to celebrate the water festival and wait for it....have fun!!! If you don't like water and don't like Songkran then you don't like the Thai way.

Last year was fantastic we was partying along second road up by Big C with the majority being Thais. Everyone was having the time of their lives, smiling, dancing, laughing and have fun without one miserable, sour faced old fart to be seen, as they had all buggered off to pastures green to lock themselves into a hotel room and post miserable, it's the end of the world type posts on TV.

Thank you for your comments.

So when are you coming on your next two week holiday in thailand.

10-4-2011 :)

OK, so there are a few dickheads that go over the top with the water guns that I will agree but overall it is the time of year when the locals like to celebrate the water festival and wait for it....have fun!!! If you don't like water and don't like Songkran then you don't like the Thai way.

It's hard to believe that you live in Pattaya with comments like that. "A few dickheads"????

I don't think expats mind the main Songkran day on the 19th. It the continuous water dousing that goes on for an entire week or longer, even late at night which becomes hard to tolerate.

I love Songkran, Week off work i get sooo much done around the house.

You can't work when you got nothin' to eat 'cause you can't go out to get anything.

Yep, last year went out at 11 PM to buy food and was totally doused with dirty flour water. This wasn't even anywhere near a peak day. That's not the Thai way, that's assault.

I got doused by a bucket of ice cold water at about 11pm coming back from my shopping on my motorcycle last year way before peak day. I got off the bike and went back and dunked the guy in his own tub of ice water. He then took a few swings at me....etc. I'm more worried about what I might do during Songkran than what the water throwing idiots do.