Cheapest Way To Book Tours?

cooma7

Hey guys,

I am coming to phuket in feb with my girlfriend.

I am just wondering what the best and cheapest ways to book our tours and stuff while there?

We want to do things like phi phi island, elephant ride, snorkling, sea kiaking (through those caves) and whatever else is good to do.

im not massive on temples and stuff, but could see one or 2.

I have been looking on the internet and have asked our hotel (no answer yet)

My sister has been to thailand and she said the best way was to book them from the stalls on the side of the road, as when you book stuff in bulk they will give good discounts.?

Anyway, where would be the best place.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi,

There are literally hundreds of travel agent and tour-booking shops all over Phuket. Don't book anything over the internet or through the hotel as you will be paying premium prices. You can walk in to any shop and book whichever trip or tour you want to do. Most of the activities will have a van which will pick you up in the morning and drop you off at your hotel afterwards.

Bear in mind that PhiPhi island is not really a day trip. Although there are numerous and frequent ferries to the islands, it is quite a long ride and would be best if you planned one or two nights there to really enjoy it. You can rent a long-boat with a driver who will take you to all the best beaches and recreational spots - for which you can privately negotiate a half-day or full-day rate.

Enjoy !

Ho, ho.

Do you realise that agents here, for trips like you mention, get up to 30% commission?! Say it slowly : 3 0 % !!

Either try to book direct with the provider, and ask for discount. Even if you get 15% off, the provider is making more direct from you that they would through one of these agents.

Or

Ask the agent for discount off their price. Some may realise that it's better for them to make 10% or so, than nothing, if you walk away.

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

So do you know how much it would cost (approx) to go to phi phi on one of those day tours with lunch included? (if I booked through the provider)?

I really would of loved to stay there for a few nights, but have already booked my accommodation, so would waste 2 nights there :)

unless there is somewhere cheap to stay on phi phi.

Ho, ho.

Do you realise that agents here, for trips like you mention, get up to 30% commission?! Say it slowly : 3 0 % !!

Either try to book direct with the provider, and ask for discount. Even if you get 15% off, the provider is making more direct from you that they would through one of these agents.

Or

Ask the agent for discount off their price. Some may realise that it's better for them to make 10% or so, than nothing, if you walk away.

The trouble with this is you are surprised that people in business are making a profit.

Go to any club in Phuket Town which sells a small bottle of beer at 100baht or more then work out their commission. It's well over a hundred percent. Say it slowly........over one hundred percent.

That's what is called 'business'.

Regarding day trips etc. There are surprisingly few providers of tours to Phi Phi. Twelve friends could book at 12 different road-side stalls for similar prices (plus or minus 50 baht) and find they are all picked up by the same company van.

You won't get it cheaper by going direct to the ferry port because the ferry boat providers have an agreement with the tour companies to not undercut them. Call it a Cartel if you like, but again, that is business. The van companies are doing a lot of legwork for their money and need to protect themselves.

Depending on where your hotel is, booking with a tour company can be quite convenient. You will get picked up and dropped off again at your hotel. It's a door to door service. Any saving you may make by booking it direct with the tour provider may well be offset by having to pay a taxi to get there and back.

You've had good advice about a day trip to Phi Phi. It's a bit too far away for a day trip. The ferry leaves at 8.30 and often stops at Maya Bay before docking at Phi Phi at say 1030 or 11am.

It then leaves again at 2.30.

There is nothing you can do on Phi Phi really in that short time.

Depending on the time of year, you will be very lucky to get cheap accommodation in Phi Phi although it depends on what you call 'cheap'.

If you can get something at this time of year for 500baht then you've been very lucky. Figure on prices closer to 1000 baht.

Personally, i would advise against getting a longtail boat to Phi Phi. The boats, in my view, are not safe enough for such a passage. They carry lifejackets and that is about it. Flares, horns, signalling devices, radios, first aid kits? Forget it. Apart from that, they can be uncomfortable - often uncovered (hot hot hot) and noisy. And it would be unlikely to be any quicker or cheaper.

Private speedboat rentals are quicker but are much more expensive.

Why do you want to go to Phi Phi anyway? It's full of foreigners !!

If you can get something at this time of year for 500baht then you've been very lucky. Figure on prices closer to 1000 baht.

500 baht would be the low price just for the regular ferry, and does not include any lunch or tours. These days the low price is more like 1,000 baht/person, including minibus transfers from hotel and back.

I disagree about Phi Phi not being a good day trip. I have been to the Phi Phi Islands 3 times in the last year. One time I stayed there for 3 nights, and the other 2 times I just took day trips. We found the day trips to be just as, if not more enjoyable! Ok, yes, you don't have as much time or flexibility. But, you get to see a lot and it's very low-stress. You might find a cheap place at Phi Phi Don, but then you have to add in the cost of all the longtail trips you want to take to Phi Phi Ley and the other islands/beaches. Those boat trips are not cheap, especially if you can't find people to share.

Someone else mentioned the ferry and how you won't have much time - forget that! OP, I think you were referring to the speedboat day trips, right? Most of them pick you up from your hotel at about 7 or 7:30 a.m. and bring you back at 4:30 or 5:00. I just did one of these trips last month and looked at countless brochures at lots of different stalls and at my hotel. They all had pretty much the same itinerary and included a stop or two at Phi Phi Ley, lunch at Phi Phi Don, and a stop at another island (e.g., Khai Island). The prices didn't seem to vary too much except for the supposed "VIP" trip that looked identical to me. I think that last month I paid about 2300 baht/person. That included the boat, lunch, insurance (I think), snorkeling equipment, water/soda/snacks on the boat, and sea-sickness meds if you needed them. :) You don't really need to spend any other money during the day unless you want to shop or buy extra drinks. The day trip I did a year ago was about 2500 but also included elephant riding at the end of the day. I think we got a small discount, but yes, you can definitely try to negotiate down. I just hate haggling so I didn't try too hard.

It all depends on your budget and how you value safety. There are about 5 speed boat companies on Phuket who are really good. They have real insurances and licenses, good staff, good boats, good vans, have a slightly different program etc. Most importantly they don't overload their boats (they use 20 pax boats and don't fill them completely up). They charge between 3000 and 3500 thb per person (includes the 30% com but you'll never get a 30% discount, even when booking directly with the supplier). Quite expensive but then you get quality and safety. Most, if not all, tourists think nothing can happen to them while on holiday. Pushing 45 people in a 35 pax boat happens every day but what you're going to say. If you're not boarding you'll lose your money. No refunds in the LOS.

Commission varies according to the tour. If you pay full brochure price on the Phi Phi tours for example, the agent will earn over 100% commission, hence large discounts are always available. NB the phi Phi tours are predominantly for snorkelling and not for visitin Phi Phi itself so as others have said if you want to go to Phi Phi (and if you aren't a young backpacker type then you might not enjoy it!) then spend a night or two there.

Certain tours are rarely discounted, e.g Phuket Fantasea, as the full amount is paid into the bank and the commission refunded.

Don't try to book direct with the tour company. You'll probably pay more than you'd pay through an agent. Definitely don't book through a hotel or on the internet.

Quite simply shop around, though remember the cheapest will not be the best!