Jungle Trekking

johnoko

I have friend coming to Chiang Mai and he wants do a jungle trekking but I did one ones and remember that I saw more people than animals.

Does any body know a company or private guide in or near CM that does trekkings in small groups and in areas were you don’t have to wait at the bottom of the mountain until the other groups are on their way up

The problem with jungle trekking in the bush of Thailand is it's too thick in most places to get through, and doing it on your own isn't much fun. That is why the tour groups are popular, because they know the various trails. Most often the trails are just old roads into mountain villages. There is some open veldt country in scrub timber if you know where to look, but the animal life is limited. The only real jungle type trek that I know of locally is up the creek that flows down from Doi Suthep. If you need further instructions I can supply them.

Did jungle trekking with a company called GEKKO TOURS spent three nights in the mountains was great fun.

You would have to be pretty lucky to go on a tour anywhere in Thailand without seeing anyone.

But would recommend that company to anyone

If I remember right their is some really good trekking in Mae Hong Son. Chiang Mai province really isn't the best for trekking, but for short excursions it isn't bad.

Most tour operators offer the same package deals, but sometimes at different rates. Often there will be several groups from different companies all in the same group. Ask a lot of questions before signing up with any outfit.