Racism In Thailand

Loz

In Thailand you are in a different culture where people view anything away from the norm as something of interest. In Thai there are many nouns that when used are the literal translation of what is being said that is why they will sometimes call a black person as dam- because dam means black. I have a black dog at home and he is referred by all the Thai as Maa- dam. A dog which is black. I also have an albino cat at home and she is referred to as meow khoa or farang meow. There is no offence meant it is just an easy way to describe what they see

Black American came into my local bar the other week and started to complain about one of those black folk models you see all over the place behind the bar. Even though he probably knew it was not meant to be a real person, he felt 'offended' by it and started to complain the owner, and loudly. Luckily in Thailand you can tell such PC self righteous morons to <deleted> off without fear of prosecution under some discrimination law, and that's just what happened.!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a story for you!

A guy goes to London to earn some money so he can provide for his wife and children back home. He works very hard on the building sites around the city. but on every site he goes on he is called names and people make monkey noises when he goes into the canteen or rest rooms. People leave bananas on the scaffold he is working on and in the toilets they write on the walls that all " His lot should F@#k off back from where they came from " It is no point in complaining as the bosses would do nothing about it. Asked if it bothers him he replies " NO! I'm a big man and its only names, I just get on with my work and ignore them plus I like bananas ".

Now you may think this guy in the UK can sue for discrimination and get thousands of pounds in compensation but alas he cannot.

Do you know why ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The reason he cannot sue is he is white! I know as that person is me!

Anywhere I worked in London I was called a " Northern monkey " The difference between me and a coloured person is I just get on with my work and it is no big deal. Where do you draw the line in racism ?

If you are from Liverpool you are a thieving scouser, from Scotland a Jock, Jimmy or sweaty sock. from wales you are a taff or a sheep shagger. From Ireland you are paddy or a thick mick. get the point now. The difference being the Scottish, Welsh irish scousers etc just get on with it and don't make a big deal about things.

When Obama was running for the presidency of the USA several black friends told me that the last thing they wanted was a black president.

WHY says I ? The reply was that if they got a black president then there was no more excuses any more and the culture of being the badly done by black person myth was was totally demolished! If a black man can become the president of the united States of America then there were no more excuses!

In the UK people play the race card at the drop of a hat knowing full well people will cave in and give them loads of cash. Here in Thailand I have never been the subject of racism nor seen any.

Lets hope Thailand never goes the way of the UK where positive discrimination is the order of the day.

Here's a story for you!

A guy goes to London to earn some money so he can provide for his wife and children back home. He works very hard on the building sites around the city. but on every site he goes on he is called names and people make monkey noises when he goes into the canteen or rest rooms. People leave bananas on the scaffold he is working on and in the toilets they write on the walls that all " His lot should F@#k off back from where they came from " It is no point in complaining as the bosses would do nothing about it. Asked if it bothers him he replies " NO! I'm a big man and its only names, I just get on with my work and ignore them plus I like bananas ".

Now you may think this guy in the UK can sue for discrimination and get thousands of pounds in compensation but alas he cannot.

Do you know why ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nice one Duncs, great post.

The reason he cannot sue is he is white! I know as that person is me!

Anywhere I worked in London I was called a " Northern monkey " The difference between me and a coloured person is I just get on with my work and it is no big deal. Where do you draw the line in racism ?

If you are from Liverpool you are a thieving scouser, from Scotland a Jock, Jimmy or sweaty sock. from wales you are a taff or a sheep shagger. From Ireland you are paddy or a thick mick. get the point now. The difference being the Scottish, Welsh irish scousers etc just get on with it and don't make a big deal about things.

When Obama was running for the presidency of the USA several black friends told me that the last thing they wanted was a black president.

WHY says I ? The reply was that if they got a black president then there was no more excuses any more and the culture of being the badly done by black person myth was was totally demolished! If a black man can become the president of the united States of America then there were no more excuses!

In the UK people play the race card at the drop of a hat knowing full well people will cave in and give them loads of cash. Here in Thailand I have never been the subject of racism nor seen any.

Lets hope Thailand never goes the way of the UK where positive discrimination is the order of the day.

Your friends were strange and you got the WRONG impression of the reality. Well over 90 percent of African Americans voted for Obama.

Next ...

so u don't think thai girls favouring white falang is positive discrimination.

You just played your hand. You are clearly either suffering from a clinical condition (retarded) or under the influence of some narcotic. Of course it is possible that you are just not that bright, but I am black, so I like making excuses for people. Even when they don't deserve it, right? :)

The difference between me and a coloured person is I just get on with my work and it is no big deal. Where do you draw the line in racism ?

That is a reasonable question. Let me try and address it for you.

Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.[1] Or, on the opposite side, racism can be seen as the belief that a certain race portrays a certain, undesirable characteristic (e.g. "Asian people are horrible drivers.") In the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits, or get preferential treatment.
(from Wiki, so not definitive but pretty much to the point I think)

I'd say there is a fair amount of racism here. Anyone remember the 'Darlie' (brown toothpaste) ad?

A child has a balloon but loses hold of it. A black man manages to rescue the balloon and hands it to her. At that point the child's mum rushes over with a terrified look on her face and pulls the child away. The black guy looks very sad and goes and lies down on a bed that is actually a giant toothbrush.

The closing slogan is "Darlie, black but good!'.

Pretty racist in my book.

Actually it was the Double Lotus brand, herbal toothpaste. The point was that the color of the herbal toothpaste is reddish-brown and different from the rest, but it's supposed to be "good for you". Therefore, the ads tries to say, "Do not judge the book by the cover" sort of thing. Well, as a Thai, this is what I perceive to be the message.

FYI, the Darlie toothpaste used to be called "Darkie" with a black-face minstrel logo many many years ago, but was changed after an American company bought it. Difficult to explain to the shareholders, I suppose. I would think how Darkie toothpaste was promoted was much more racist.

Took this pic a few weeks ago in Bangkok. :)

In a museum?

That packaging looks decades old.

Thinking about it, maybe a mom and pop store, shelf life of years!

Your friends were strange and you got the WRONG impression of the reality. Well over 90 percent of African Americans voted for Obama.

Next ...

Can you give a reference for the 90% figure you have quoted as I cannot find anything that matches that ? Also if so the the 90% of black people that voted for this fraud must be really kicking themselves as he has the worst record for the first year of any president. And are you saying the only black people I happen to meet are strange ? They were far from strange they were telling what THEY AS BLACK PEOPLE THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse Jackson has made a career out of being the down trodden, badly done by black man and even he thought Obama was a fraud as have MANY others. NEXT!

Some very good stuff on this thread. The question that remains in my mind is: Can order and discipline exist in a society totally committed to self determination? I know I do not have the answer to that very difficult question. This traditional arguement in favor of tolerating an institutional racist attitude has usually been that self determination is trumped by perceived order and discipline.

Next ...

Can you give a reference for the 90% figure you have quoted as I cannot find anything that matches that ? Also if so the the 90% of black people that voted for this fraud must be really kicking themselves as he has the worst record for the first year of any president. And are you saying the only black people I happen to meet are strange ? They were far from strange they were telling what THEY AS BLACK PEOPLE THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse Jackson has made a career out of being the down trodden, badly done by black man and even he thought Obama was a fraud as have MANY others. NEXT!

You claim reminds me a bit of the way that the diehard liberals reacted to McGovern's loss to Nixon back in 1972. They would say "how could he have lost, everyone that I know voted for him". It actually was more than 90% of blacks that voted for Obama according to exit polls (which is the only way you'll get that data that is broken by race). Here a reference: http://brandtao.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/d...-election-2008/ With about 5 seconds of googling you should be able to find a number of similar references. Interesting too is that in the same exit polls only 9% said healthcare was the #1 issue influencing their vote.

Edited by OriginalPoster

One thing that's always struck me about the Obama election is that if a typical sub Saharan African black majority country ever voted a white leader into power, its neighbours probably wouldn't be too happy, even if they didn't publically show it, and any European leader praising the election win along the lines of "it's about time" and "now we feel we can be closer to your country", would be vilified as a racist. Yet, when a white majority North American country votes a black man as president, the whole world rejoices, especially the African countries. Does anyone else find that odd, or am I just going to be accused of being a racist for even bringing it up?

It was in an old school convenience store displaying retro items. :)

I can give you the name and location if you wish.

So yes, I did take that picture a few weeks ago.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

You are a liar and not a very good one. Everything in that picture is at least 20+ years old.

One thing that's always struck me about the Obama election is that if a typical sub Saharan African black majority country ever voted a white leader into power, its neighbours probably wouldn't be too happy, even if they didn't publically show it, and any European leader praising the election win along the lines of "it's about time" and "now we feel we can be closer to your country", would be vilified as a racist. Yet, when a white majority North American country votes a black man as president, the whole world rejoices, especially the African countries. Does anyone else find that odd, or am I just going to be accused of being a racist for even bringing it up?

How many white men were enslaved by black men in the past? How many kidnapped from Europe and enslaved? How many incidents in history that black invader lining white local up and shoot them off and took their land? Was there any country that has bus seats reserved for black and white women will have to stand even the seats is empty? No dogs and whites allowed signs? Was there any country that white are not allowed to vote because they are white?

The list goes on. Just read the history.

We now, as humanity, more or less realize those were wrong. Having the first black American president is a sign that we are leaving those behind.

Edited by anchan42

How many white men were enslaved by black men in the past? How many kidnapped from Europe and enslaved? How many incidents in history that black invader lining white local up and shoot them off and took their land? Was there any country that has bus seats reserved for black and white women will have to stand even the seats is empty? No dogs and whites allowed signs? Was there any country that white are not allowed to vote because they are white?

We now, as humanity, more or less realize those were wrong. Having the first black American president is a sign that we are leaving those behind.

You have to love Thaivisa. whenever you start to doubt the membership, someone pipes up and restores your faith.

Thanks for this post.

I imagine though there will be some thai readers who do not know what you are talking about.

It was in an old school convenience store displaying retro items. :)

I can give you the name and location if you wish.

So yes, I did take that picture a few weeks ago.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

You are a liar and not a very good one. Everything in that picture is at least 20+ years old.

Seriously, Name and location please.

I have a few friends in Bangkok who might be able check it out for me. If not I will go there myself.

Hate to wrongly call someone a liar.

Getting a bit off topic with "Bobby" But you clearly didn't here his classic comment of 2009. 'How can they beat us, they have a "X" and we have a gun?'

Does this sound like a man who gives a <deleted> about votes to you, Einstein?

Getting a bit off topic with "Bobby" But you clearly didn't here his classic comment of 2009. 'How can they beat us, they have a "X" and we have a gun?'

Does this sound like a man who gives a <deleted> about votes to you, Einstein?

No sh!t Sherlock, but he sure is a man who would want to <deleted> whites just for the fun factor.

So the US will someday vote a dog in as president to address the imbalances of the past? Why is there never any clamour for a Native American president? The whole guilt thing is a sham. I will learn from history, I will acknowledge that which was done which was wrong, and I will take the blame for my own wrongdoings, but I will not take any blame for things done hundreds and thousands of years ago. Should Italians hang their heads in shame because of the doings of the Romans? Should Mongolians elect a european leader because Ghengis Khan, and others, pillaged, raped, murdered and enslaved parts of Europe? Should the Danes elect a Scottish leader for the crimes the Vikings did to the Scots? Should the Germans a Jew? The English an Irishman? The Australians an Aborigine? Do you really think electing someone as a "sign" is good election policy? ( I actually happen to support Mr Obama, although because of me being a non American that doesn't really count for much, but as a man and leader, not as a token or a sign. That would be in itself racisit).

And the answer to most of your questions is "quite a few" if you read your history.

So the US will someday vote a dog in as president to address the imbalances of the past? Why is there never any clamour for a Native American president? The whole guilt thing is a sham. I will learn from history, I will acknowledge that which was done which was wrong, and I will take the blame for my own wrongdoings, but I will not take any blame for things done hundreds and thousands of years ago. Should Italians hang their heads in shame because of the doings of the Romans? Should Mongolians elect a european leader because Ghengis Khan, and others, pillaged, raped, murdered and enslaved parts of Europe? Should the Danes elect a Scottish leader for the crimes the Vikings did to the Scots? Should the Germans a Jew? The English an Irishman? The Australians an Aborigine? Do you really think electing someone as a "sign" is good election policy? ( I actually happen to support Mr Obama, although because of me being a non American that doesn't really count for much, but as a man and leader, not as a token or a sign. That would be in itself racisit).

And the answer to most of your questions is "quite a few" if you read your history.

You have gone to the other extreme. People rejoiced not because they think Obama got elected base on the fact that he is black.

People rejoiced because being black did not prevent him from getting elected as president.

Having black American president is not the same as making up for the imbalanced past. We cannot do that as we cannot roll back the clock. What is done is done and all we can do is to learn form history.

Having black American president, to many people, is a mile stone telling us that as a society we are moving forward and leaving the past behind.To have only black American presidents in the future would be moving backward to the past.

The amount of atrocity committed by white against other races in the past by far surpass the amount committed by black or coloured against white.

It might be easier for you to understand the line "If you are not one of us, you're one of them" then to understand what I am trying to say but please try.

Edited by anchan42