Carling Cup

samuibeachcomber

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats the ideal scenario but I think United would be happy take a draw back to OT for the next leg.The team line up will tell us I guess. If we have one up front its almost conceding that the team has no confidence to score goals.

Well thats the ideal scenario but I think United would be happy take a draw back to OT for the next leg.The team line up will tell us I guess. If we have one up front its almost conceding that the team has no confidence to score goals.

Deffo 2 up front against cidy,fergie would never only play 1 up against a crappy outfit :)

CARLING CUP PREVIEW TUESDAY

Posted on: 19.01.2010 football-league.co.uk

Manchester City and Manchester United finally get their Carling Cup semi-final underway, as the first leg takes place at Eastlands on Tuesday. The original match fell foul of the weather and with the other semi-final due for completion on Wednesday these two clubs will already know their opponents, in the final, by the time they meet again at Old Trafford next Wednesday.

As if being just two games from Wembley isn't a big enough incentive, this one has the added spice of a Manchester derby, which is sure to live up to all expectations.

City arrived at the semi-final stage after beating Crystal Palace, Fulham, Scunthorpe United and Arsenal, when goals from Carlos Tevez, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Vladimir Weiss secured a 3-0 win.

United on the other hand have overcome Wolverhampton Wanderers, Barnsley and Tottenham Hotspur in a repeat of last year's final. Darron Gibson scored twice in the first half to wrap up the victory and set up tonight's derby clash.

Just nine points separate second placed United and fifth placed City and after their seven goal thriller in the Premier League back in September this one should be a good one.

Both Darren Fletcher and Craig Bellamy scored braces that day but with the fixture looking like ending up a draw Michael Owen popped up with the winner in injury time and as a former United star Carlos Tevez is looking for revenge.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror he said: "What happened at Old Trafford earlier this season is still in our heads and this is the moment for revenge."

"I want to play in this match for many reasons. It's a semi-final, a derby and there's a bitter rivalry between the two clubs.

"I believe this is a good moment for us to play a local rival like United, who never normally give anything to their opponents.

"In a semi-final over two matches and in a derby, anything is possible. But I think the key will be the return game at Old Trafford and we must ensure we get a good result at home."

City had been in good form leading up to this match with Roberto Mancini winning his first four games in charge but they were beaten, for the first time in six games at the weekend, as they went down 2-0 to Everton at Goodison Park.

Manchester United beat Burnley in the league at the weekend but only a fortnight ago they were bundled out of the FA Cup in the biggest shock of this season's competition so far. They lost 1-0 to Leeds United at Old Trafford so will be desperate to keep alive their hopes of domestic silverware and retain the trophy.

HEAD TO HEAD

This will be the 153rd meeting between the two sides in all competitions, the first of which came way back in 1894, when United beat City 5-2 at Hyde Road. The red half of Manchester was celebrating again later in the season when they won the reverse fixture 4-1 at Bank Street.

United lead the head to head charts with 62 wins compared to City's 41 while 49 matches have ended all square.

TEAM NEWS

Stephen Ireland could return for the Sky Blues, after he missed Saturday's trip to Everton with a hamstring injury but Patrick Viera will definitely miss out as he is forced to wait to make his debut after a damaged calf.

Nedum Onouha returned to the squad on Saturday after injury, so comes into contention for a starting place, but Wayne Bridge misses out although he is closing in on a return to training. Emmanuel Adebayor (compassionate leave), Michael Johnson, Joleen Lescott (all knee), Roque Santa Cruz (calf) and Kolo Toure (international duty) also miss out.

Rio Ferdinand could be in line for a return to action at Eastlands after three months out of action with a back problem. His central defensive partner Nemanja Vidic could also return after two weeks out.

United are also likely to be without striker Dimitar Berbatov, who limped off during Saturday's win over Burnley.

The second leg takes place at Old Trafford on Wednesday 27th January

redrus

I reckon Fergie being a master of the psyche-out, he'll send Owen on around the 75 minute mark and he'll score the winner (and City will know he will).

Well its not happened yet!!

Are they still playing?

I thought the rules were if United are getting beat, play on until they equalise? :)

I reckon Fergie being a master of the psyche-out, he'll send Owen on around the 75 minute mark and he'll score the winner (and City will know he will).

Are they still playing?

I thought the rules were if United are getting beat, play on until they equalise? :D

I didn't see the game as I was in bed. Sounds like a great game though and the second leg should be fun! Maybe if more injury time (erm, than five minutes) was played, Owen would definitely have scored. :)

I happen to think they (Man U) should have kept Tevez. Was it money/debt consderations more than Fergie doubting his ability do you think?

United had the perfect start and best of possession (58%).Another hotly disputed penalty going against Raphael. His style of tackling needs to be "modified" as he put referees in 2 minds on most occasions when he goes in,he will learn. Usual total bombardment from United in the last 15 minutes but too late. Given and time beat them. Tevez, according to the script, was the tormentor and they can do it al again next Wednesday night. For Uniteds case the central defending is still not up to scatch and Rooney up front alone just doesnt work.

Are they still playing?

I thought the rules were if United are getting beat, play on until they equalise? :D

I didn't see the game as I was in bed. Sounds like a great game though and the second leg should be fun! Maybe if more injury time (erm, than five minutes) was played, Owen would definitely have scored. :)

I happen to think they (Man U) should have kept Tevez. Was it money/debt consderations more than Fergie doubting his ability do you think?

We will never know the real story until Fergie adds another chapter or 2 to his already published biography. But dont forget with Tevez it was a special case United were dealing with his pimp ,sorry agent as he is owned by him. The Agent knew City with bags of money were waiting in the wings and it was no real surprise. Tevez didnt exactly endear himself to United's decison makers with constant whinges about not being loved enough and spending too much time on the bench but he won more medals at United than most players would win in a lifetime.

Are they still playing?

Tevez (despite the penalty and when our defense fell asleep) was not a factor. Bellamy was more of a threat.

Tevez (despite the penalty and when our defense fell asleep) was not a factor.

Yeah right :) Did you watch the game jimbob ?

I watched it all mate. Bellamy got the penalty, Bellamy's corners were threatening and resulted in your second goal where Tevez and another were un-marked.

Besides the penalty and the header, did Tevez have a shot on goal?

Anyways, looking forward to the next one.

We will never know the real story until Fergie adds another chapter or 2 to his already published biography. But dont forget with Tevez it was a special case United were dealing with his pimp ,sorry agent as he is owned by him. The Agent knew City with bags of money were waiting in the wings and it was no real surprise. Tevez didnt exactly endear himself to United's decison makers with constant whinges about not being loved enough and spending too much time on the bench but he won more medals at United than most players would win in a lifetime.

Agreed Sparky.

I know not all United fans agree with me, but at the end of the day Tevez in my opinion had too many chances scuffed when he was playing for us. Fantastic work rate, ethic and all that, but not enough end product and all a bit too similar to what Rooney offers. So no regrets about him leaving, and if he does/is doing well at City then fair play to him and them.

From a United point of view, it's a shame that he plays the victim card so much, in terms of his exit from Old Trafford. OK, he wasn't getting as much lovin' as his ego might of required, but we were ready to sign him and he could have stayed had he wanted. He didn't. That was obvious quite early on.

I watched it all mate. Bellamy got the penalty, Bellamy's corners were threatening and resulted in your second goal where Tevez and another were un-marked.

Besides the penalty and the header, did Tevez have a shot on goal?

Anyways, looking forward to the next one.

Yeah Bellamy was great. Constant threat every time he got on the ball. Had Rafael not pulled him back he may well have scored anyway. Seems to be on fire against us. He's the one player would really like to see sitting out the next game.

Edited to add: Actually make that two. Would be nice if Given picked up an injury!

Edited by rixalex

Deffo 2 up front against cidy,fergie would never only play 1 up against a crappy outfit :D

I WAS WRONG!

Cannot believe he never give the new kid a game up front.fergie"s tactics are very hesitant at the moment,like you said no confidence at all with the defence at the moment ...pack the midfield and hope we nick a goal!

Having said that when he made a few changes near the end,we were impressive...well rooney was and cidy rode there luck.It makes for a great return next week goals a plenty me thinks.

Does Mike Dean remind you of Jasper Carrot? :)

We'll agree to disagree about Tevez then james. Personally I thought he was outstanding.

But not one of you have mentioned what team the lying red nosed bar-steward put out last night. "I'm gonna let the kids play cos they have got us this far"...my ass. He put out the strongest team he possibly could. At least we have ALWAYS stated we would play our strongest team we had available.

We'll agree to disagree about Tevez then james. Personally I thought he was outstanding.

But not one of you have mentioned what team the lying red nosed bar-steward put out last night. "I'm gonna let the kids play cos they have got us this far"...my ass. He put out the strongest team he possibly could. At least we have ALWAYS stated we would play our strongest team we had available.

Ryan Giggs & Edwin Van Der Saar both played last night and they are much younger than me, mere kids in fact....... :D

See you at O.T. next week B.J. (iIwonder if O.T. still means over-time like it did in the old days ? :) .)

Rafael 18, rooney 23, anderson 21, evans 24, Mame 23, valencia 23.

Don't let VDS and Giggsy throw off the curve mate. :)

You can't help having a good ol straw clutch can you..... :) You won with a bias ref, a penalty that should never have been and, a second goal from a corner that was our goal kick, clearly....!!!!! Yet still you find time for bitterness, you won, enjoy it.!

By the way, our injury list consists of "kids" too you know....!

Roll on the second leg, I really enjoyed the first, despite the result. :D

redrus

You won with a bias ref,

:)

You're havin a Girraffe aren't you Red. To you lot, a ref who is even handed is bias cos you're so used to getting things all your own way. Richards got a penalty awarded against him for exactly the same thing the other night against Everton. We didn't whinge about it then and it's actually nice to see some consistency for a change.

The ref even gave you 6 minutes again but you couldn't do anything with it this time. :D

No I'm not. :D

Shit ref, shit decisions and Tevez............. Good on him but, please <deleted> stop with antics, we don't care, you've gone, your choice, forget about it....! :)

redrus

Rafael 18, rooney 23, anderson 21, evans 24, Mame 23, valencia 23.

Don't let VDS and Giggsy throw off the curve mate. :)

Apart from Rafael, they're not kids in Footballing terms. And the majority have regular first team experience.

My point was, Fergusson said he was going to play the team that got them to the semi-final. This is the team you played against Tottenham:-

Kuszczak Neville Brown Vidic De Laet Obertan Gibson Anderson Park Welbeck Berbatov

A bit different to last night wouldn't you agree ?