Problems In Penang

Have to try that one next time. I used Jim the first time last year, great service and very easy. This time things have changed, Jim's guys are great, get the paperwork all done, take us in a vehicle to the consulate, then we went in and submitted our own paperwork. The guy at the window said to me hey you have many Non-Imm B in your passport, why not have the WP3? I am working with a Singapore Company, not a Thai one, so I told him that I not have or need a Work Permit since I go in and out mostly working for the Singapore company. It worked fine last time, but I am worried this time it won't work.

Will see this afternoon when I pick up the passport and then head to Hat Yai on the 30 MYR van service. This would really suck if I don't get the VISA as it is a land crossing to Thailand giving me 14 days, and I had more than that left over on my air trip back to Thailand a week or so ago from KL. We will see this afternoon.

Just got home from a Visa Run to Penang. Stayed at the Mingood and used the Agent working there.

Arthur is a great guy... :)

I am stuck in Penang without a visa to Thailand. The consulate denied me.

I have five papers visas, four were doubles and two doubles only used 1x. My pp is nearly two years old. I was denied on basis of 'having too many' although the consulate just flipped through my book and made no determination that these visas were over two years.

I have a purchased e ticket out of BKK

The twiggy guy at the counter arrogantly dismissed my application - you only leave to come back. This is not true. I spend four or five months each and every year out of Thailand - two of which in my home country. The portly guy offered a transit visa. He then offered this solution: fly in and out a few times. I questioned, is this not exactly what you do not want people to do?! I recorded this.

I have never in 15 years extended my visa nor have extensions in this pp.

He requested bank funds from a bank (for a TR) in Thailand! I questioned this and wondered if it was the right thing to produce. In the end, I pulled out an ATM slip with 80K in it - he would not accept, not even as I showed him the matching card. As if I carry around other peoples slips and cards for Thai authorities whims.

He was clearly fishing for a bribe and I was not going to provide that. An Aussie I met forked over RM50 to the consulate so he stated.

Fruity GH is a huge part of this issue. If Penang was not bad enough, they have made it impossible. I have a number of contacts here and they are pissed! He has effectively shut down all visas services on Chulia. Do not use any services on Chulia with a banner "we can submit on your behalf". Do not use any visa services.

Take the 101, ask the driver to let you off at 'the Thai embassy'. Its a bit of a walk. Walk back on Jln Burma to Brown R past the intersects to Jln Abudul Rahman L - walk past the mansions - on your left. Clothing is not an issue. Photo copy (!) and photos. Be clean and polite - but that will only get you to the mafia window.

One source informs me that there is a new consul and s/he may be preoccupied with new job and this has allowed this mischief to run amok........or they may be in on the scam.

Fruity offered to run my visa for me for RM150. Mind you that is 50RM for the consul and 100 for Fruity

I dont pay bribes and I dont play into extortion rackets.

I urge all of you to not use any/all services from this gh and urge others to do the same.

I will do a few runners and fly in with my ticket out 30 days back home.

There is much anger here with the business owners in Penang. They have a real hate on this guy. Mind you Malaysia takes corruption as a far more serious issue than Thailand and people resent it. They resent you playing into it as well.

If I had not met the best lady in my life in 10 years Id just stay here for a few months, but we planned a few travels together until Apr. So the consulate and Fruity have really screwed up my life.

All I needed was ONE TR and had a paid ticket outside Asia AND Funds 90K.

If it were cut and dry law, I would have no issue. But the whole thing smells so bad of turf wars, corruption and money grubbing. I will play no part.

** Ultimately the fight is over YOUR MONEY. Make a deliberate choice to not play a part in this bad and potentially behavior. Dont be lazy.

I dont spend so much time on the internet, can only respond in time. Good day.

Edited by bangkokburning

• 3 months later...

I went to Chulia Street,Penang wanted to get my wife (a Russian) a visa to Thailand because we plan for some holiday in Koh Samui.

Do you know how much they want for the service fee? They told me you have to pay Rm350 corruption fee - if not the Thai Embassy in Penang will not give your wife a visa! This is going to create a lot of grief (and corruption) Anyone having the same problem over here in Penang?

There is no Embassy in Penang - it is a Consulate - I would apply directly - there should not be any problem if passport has no other visas to Thailand. If there is a problem she should then make an official complaint with Embassy in Kuala Lumpur.