Problems In Penang

It might be a good idea to avoid Penang over the next month or so.

The set up is that every single shop offers an "I'll go to the consulate and get your visa sorted for you" service. But there is now one person - who owns a big guest house in Chulia Street - who is aspiring to monopolise this business. This is causing problems.

He has his own "staff" at the consulate and they are turning away those agents (all except for those from "Mr. Big") who are coming in every day with armfulls of visa applications - on the grounds that it is unlawful (the applicant needs to be there in person). To get round this, now all the other visa dealers are clubbing together with shuttle-car services and running everyone over to the consulate in person each morning.

The latest move is for the staff at the consulate to get snotty and turn applications (and applicants) away on minor rule infringements - just to make life hard for the visa agents.

I was told that last week applications that were not printed in clear capital letters were refused and people had to complete new applications forms. Today i saw people being refused admission to the consulate premises on the grounds they were "improperly dressed". There is a notice about dress code now displayed at the gatehouse that read - blah blah blah ... "no thongs or tee shirts". People wearing singlets and vests (no sleeves) were not allowed in.

Penang seems to have always been a law unto itself but now things are getting really silly, and innocent and unwitting applicants in transit seem to be taking the brunt of what appears to be merely a lot of posturing and strutting between local businessmen.

I'd steer clear of penang for a while if possible - or go elsewhere with a visarunner-agent who has got everything sorted and under control! I can only imagine things will get worse before they get better!

Rob

Why use an agent at all?

I would have asked you: "WHY NOT?"

It was so easy to pay 200 baht and just relax for the day I could never understand why anyone would want to do it themselves.

Anyway, Penang took themselves out of the running as the place to go long before this mess started. Such a shame really because it used to be The place to go for visas.

In November I payed only 50 baht

well, it used to be more in the range of 50 Ringit, 500 Baht!

But then.... the taxi come and go, not under 40 Ringit!

The time spend... wel, it'sanexperence, yes but not if one had to do this for a couple or more years!

Those agents, very helpful, depending on who was the agent!

The time spend... wel, it'sanexperence, yes but not if one had to do this for a couple or more years!

Agreed!

If I wasn't being clear - everybody is being hassled who is turning up in person.

R

Why use an agent at all? It is a simple matter to take a taxi to the consulate, complete the form and apply for the visa. The visa is usually ready in the afternoon the following day.

I am sure in November I payed 5 ringit=50 baht

Plane-taxi-consulate-taxi-hotel. Repeat in reverse.

How difficult is that ? No need to use an agent.

There is never a need to use an agent, but it is a cheap luxury.

Apart from the time you waste going back and forth to the consulate, how much do those taxis cost?...then we can calculate how much money you actually saved.

Why not lease a helicopter and land outside? Easier still.

Oh - forgot. No helicopters on Samui.

R

R

Trying to save 50 baht or so on an agent in Penang reminds me of those curious people who will walk around Vientiane to save tuk-tuk fares.

I was in Penang for a "B" 12 month visa having previously been given a 3 "B" month to obtain my work permit which I did.

First time in November ( 3 month) they didn't need to see me and the fee was 20B by the agent. Second time 15th Jan the agent emailed me that they wanted to see me. I was in Langakawi at the time at the Langkawi Regatta. I caught a ferry down Thursday evening - handed my application in Friday morning and headed back to Langkawi for the regatta and back to Penang Sunday collecting my new visa at 9.00 Monday morning. They were pleasent both times. They had already confirmed all my papers were in order before I went. I had a business meeting in KL at 3.00 Monday and told them / asked them if I could collect my visa early on Monday. It was ready as soon as I got to the window at the consulate.

I noticed the dress code and I was only wearing sandals - rest was OK plus I am 55 so they may have given me some leeway at the counter.

Found them efficient and polite with little said.

How many more times does robsamui have to say it.

Even people turning up in person are getting hassle.

So this affecting everyone

So if you apply to this big guesthouse you can still avoid to go to the consulate, right? Do you know how much they ask as a fee? Can you please PM me the name of this guesthouse?

Banana guest house? Just a guess but they didn't want to rent me a room unless I had my visa done there

as opposed to one of the book shops up the street.

Don't stay upstairs in their 18 RM fan rooms either - They stupidly built them right

over a convenience store and are always like an oven because of the huge banks

of freezers directly underneath you barbecueing you all nite even when it's cool outside.

Can anyone verify this? They definetly are the center main operation there on Chulia street

and this definitely sounds like them to me.

I always wondered if they built those convection oven rooms like that on purpose.

Picture the cold weather white white skin Russian or England/ Euro college girls

living in snow all their life get shoved in a 94 degree 94 percent humidity

broom closet on their first international vacation. Oh fun.

They're mini van from the airport is constantly dumping loads of these tourists

right there everyday - It has to be them.

Now this - So you think it's a turf war. There probably doing it just to

dick with foreigners.

The fee has been 20 Ringit for many years but since at least 1 year it has been 5 Ringit. Swiss/Oasis hotel even offered visa service free for their hotel guests. Things have changed however:

I just brought my passport to Banana. The charges have gone up. Handling fees from now on are: Tourist visa 30 Ringit; non-imm single entry 40 Ringit and multiple entry 60 Ringit. So their efforts to monopolize things seems to work. The guest house was fully booked so I went to NJ for a room. He asked me if I wanted him to arrange the visa. Told him I just gave it to Banana. Next time give it to me he said. I charge only 20 Ringit but you have to go with me in person.

So far the latest reported directly from the crime scene. Do not know yet if others still offer services, but noticed that the banner at the Swiss/Oasis is no longer there. I will interview Mr. Ali (NJ Books) himself later if I catch him.

NEVER been in a Thai Embassy where staff is so rude and unfriendly like they are in Penang. I can suggest to all people which need an extension or a year visa, GO TO KL unbelivable and helpfull Embassy staff. The flight with Air Asia cost not much more as a visa run to Penang if you book in time.

Embassy staff in Penang dont want to see applicants personally, they dont even let you in, just the indian visashops are permitted to entry the house.

I just came back from Penang.

Jim's place helped me allot by taking me to and from the consulate in the morning and again in the afternoon to pick up for only 20 ringit total fee. I never liked Jim because I thought he was a hippie type(I like hippies I just dont neccessarily trust them with my passport) and was always following me around trying to sell me his services especially when his shop was being remodeled. This time however he was out of town and his staff took care of me. They were very professional and helpful and I have a very positive view of Jim now. Also when I emailed to him from thailand to get his advice he wrote back to me immediately and told me not to worry about it and sure enough it worked out. I can highly recommend Jims place to help with your visa in Penang.

My experience at the consulate was pleasant and I found the same personel working there as many years ago and they were very polite and warm no problems at all though one guy from Switzerland was denied a visa because there was a tear on his passport.

I felt lucky to get out of there with a visa however because it is so strict now but I think its no problem if you have not extended your last visa.

KL is a breeze but last time in KL I got my laptop stolen at a street resturant. KL city is a dangerous busy expensive place and thats why Penang used to be so wonderful for getting a visa.

Question: I wonder now about kotu baru for visa maybe that is a nice place like Penang?

:)

R

No plane either, Firefly only fly to Subang, very very bad decision for Visa runner.

I have to do only a border run, but to avoid the usual mess I'd have spent the air ticket happily... :)

• 2 weeks later...
This turf war thing seems crazy.

Could somebody reconfirm that it is still going on.

Seeing as this thread like so many others has deteriorated into a bun fight over some side issue. I was there two days ago and it was a little random and I would not go back there again. It is not black and white issue though if you are going for your first visa there will be no problem.

To reiterate the point of this discussion. They are looking for ANY excuse to turn down ANYONE who has not paid "Mr Big". That is ANYONE WHO TURNS UP, ON FOOT, BY TAXI, BY HELICOPTER, IF YOU CRAWL THERE ONLY USING YOUR LIPS AS A TESTAMENT TO HOW HARDY A TRAVELLER YOU ARE; THEY WILL STILL LOOK FOR AN EXCUSE NOT TO GIVE YOU A VISA. I could go into the whole turf war thing as the original post, but really it is all true read it again if needs be. The thing is, they need an excuse. They were saying if you got a visa and an extention in Penang last time they would not give it again but I think this included other consulates but then maybe I am searching for reason in randomness. It all seemed so random. Look smart, smile, don't argue. What else can you do?

They are not refusing to let people in because of their clothes any more but out of the group I was talking to in the queue a couple of them were refused visas for no apparent reason. There were people being refused who were on their third visa and people who were being accepted on their sixth. There did not seem to be a pattern, like I said random. I was warned that because I had one already I might not get another, a stressful day before picking it up. While there I witnessed a gruff looking man walk up with a fist full of passports and a fist full of money, which were accepted without question. The money was then counted before I was served. Blatant is not the word. It is messy and something to avoid if you can. Kind of like a lottery but the prize is no visa from a sour faced official.

Why use an agent at all? It is a simple matter to take a taxi to the consulate, complete the form and apply for the visa. The visa is usually ready in the afternoon the following day.

Isn't this a bit doctrinaire. Sometimes agents can be cheaper than the taxi's needed to go back and forth. It is always worth finding out what the price difference is, the hardest is not always the cheapest, just the same as the most expensive is not always the best.

If you have not had a Visa before there will be no problems at all so go, it is an interesting place to visit, don't just go in and out as fast as possible that would by my advice, if you are doing a visa run you probably have time. I would still go to one of the agents on Chulia Street. Regardless as stated it is up to you to look at the different options and weigh it up, it may be worth it. Some Like 'Jim's Rege cafe' will take you direct from the consulate to Hat Yi for 30myr after picking up your Visa (if you get it); I'm sure others do this service along the road, it's just Jim's that I used, so I know about it. I left my hat there and burnt my face the next day. Of course walking is the cheapest option all round.

If you want to join the lottery I would make sure you have enough time to make it to KL and try there (4-6 hrs on a bus depending on traffic), I didn't and had to be back, hence the gnashing of teeth at the threat of not getting my visa. In KL you have to put it in the application before 11:00 or 12:00 (it has been a while better check) and pick it up the next day after 14:30, which might take three days if you arrive after 12. They don't put any kind of mark in your passport to say you have been refused at Penang, or at least they were not at the time of writing. So anyway that was an option I considered it's didn't come to that though which is worth remembering.

If you do go to KL I stayed at a place called 'back home', great hostel. Great little port in a storm. Rant over.

Just got home from a Visa Run to Penang. Stayed at the Mingood and used the Agent working there. 220 Ringit for the Visa and 30 for the Agent and I got my Non Im B Visa. No need to go to the Consulate myself. I signed the Application all the Rest was done by the Agent as usual.

I did not hear anything about any Problems. Maybe its a Chula Rd War, but the Mingood is not located at that Backpacker Strip. Did enjoy my time there, great food and some good buys in the Shopping Mall.