Taxi Driver Accuses Officer Of Brutal Assault

george

Taxi driver accuses officer of brutal assault

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver has sought help from crime suppression police after allegedly being beaten up at Don Muang airport on Monday by a lieutenant colonel who is also the chief security guard of an airport taxi concessionaire.

Thavorn Prommakhun, a 60-year-old cabbie, was led by staff of Sorworpor 91 radio station to file a complaint with Pol Col Wichai Sangprapai, deputy commander of CSD unit 2, and Pol Lt-Col Chamnarn Ouisakul of Don Muang police station yesterday that he was assaulted by Lt-Col Itthipat Nakwareesuwan, alias Colonel Tok, 46, at Don Muang airport on April 25.

He suffered bruises and cuts to his face which needed 76 stitches.

The petition followed a gathering of about 20 taxi drivers at the radio station to demand justice for Mr Thavorn who had earlier lodged a complaint with Don Muang police, but feared injustice.

The cabbie said he was waiting for passengers at the car park of airport taxi concessionaire S.T. Siam International Company at Don Muang airport when another taxi driver, Boontham Nuamtim, arrived with Lt-Col Itthipat.

The lieutenant colonel walked towards him, took away his taxi driver ID card, and punched him non-stop in the face until he fell to the ground. When he tried to stand up, the officer kicked him in the chin. He fell and his head hit a snooker table. He was kicked again in the thigh.

None of the waiting taxi drivers dared to help him because the officer drew his gun telling everybody to stay away. The officer later forced him at gunpoint to go back to his taxi and drive away.

''I was dizzy because I was badly assaulted. I tried hard to drive to Don Muang police station to file the complaint and then to Bhumibol Hospital for treatment. This was not the first time taxi drivers have been attacked this way, but dared not take action for fear of being barred from working in the area,'' Mr Thavorn said.

He had no idea why he was beaten up as he had no conflict with the officer, but said he had an altercation with Mr Boontham over taxi queuing two years ago.

Another taxi driver, Supatra Thabyai, said she witnessed the April 25 incident and saw Mr Thavorn beg for his life, but Lt-Col Itthipat kept assaulting him and told everyone not to help him.

She said afterwards she suggested to Mr Thavorn that he go to the police and to hospital. She later saw a green taxi follow him to the hospital, so she asked that cabbie why he was trailing him. The man admitted having been ordered to do so. He became angry, and slammed shut his taxi door, hitting her, before speeding away.

Pol Col Wichai said he knew which agency the lieutenant colonel was attached to and would ask the agency summon him for questioning. He promised to ensure fairness. Each day, at least 4,000 taxi drivers use S.T. Siam International Company's parking lots to find passengers and are charged 10 baht each a trip.

--Bangkok Post 2005-04-30

Pol Col Wichai said he knew which agency the lieutenant colonel was attached to and would ask the agency summon him for questioning.

and kick the <deleted> out of him.

This is the sort of peanut they need to make a national example out of.

a Lt-Col , high enough rank to make the other boys in brown unsure enough.

unprovoked assault in a public place and brandishing a deadly weapon in a threatening manner - what sort of mindset do you have to think this is acceptable behaviour.

Pol Col Wichai said he knew which agency the lieutenant colonel was attached to and would ask the agency summon him for questioning.

and kick the <deleted> out of him.

This is the sort of peanut they need to make a national example out of.

a Lt-Col , high enough rank to make the other boys in brown unsure enough.

unprovoked assault in a public place and brandishing a deadly weapon in a threatening manner - what sort of mindset do you have to think this is acceptable behaviour.

he will probably be demoted to the tourist police, then he can enjoy doing those sort of things to the farangs :o

It's a ###### shame that there are'nt any authority figures in Thailand that can be looked up to by the young people here.

What sort of role-models do the kids here have? Pop-stars and the Wealthy?

How can they learn right from wrong when what they are told versus what they see are completely different from each other.

How must it feel knowing there is nothing you can really ever do to change things and must finally just give-up and accept it and/or become that way too?

There are many examples of outstanding persons all around Thailand; I know many and there are no better people in the world.

Yet nothing stands out as much as the criminal behavior so prevelant amongst those who are inpowered to protect and govern their citizens, that it's regarded as normal and therefore will remain.

If you can't trust the people you're supposed to trust, then who can you trust???

I am honestly saddened by it all.

What sort of role-models do the kids here have?  Pop-stars and the Wealthy?

How can they learn right from wrong when what they are told versus what they see are completely different from each other. 

How must it feel knowing there is nothing you can really ever do to change things and must finally just give-up and accept it and/or become that way too? 

Yet nothing stands out as much as the criminal behavior so prevelant amongst those who are inpowered to protect and govern their citizens, that it's regarded as normal and therefore will remain....

Very well put. It will take a very special person to change things - and I can't see such a person in the political or social scene at the moment.

And if we farangs try to point out a different way of doing things, we get the "not your country" retorts from Thais and "go home if you don't like it" from 'fellow' farangs.

Very sad.

last time i was waiting in the queue for the public taxi stand , the area was snarled up with pirate taxis trying to get those in the queue to pay exorbitant rates to go into town.

hence the taxis trying to pick up passengers with the coupon issued could not park up,and take a fare into town .

Yet nothing stands out as much as the criminal behavior so prevelant amongst those who are inpowered to protect and govern their citizens, that it's regarded as normal and therefore will remain....

Very well put. It will take a very special person to change things - and I can't see such a person in the political or social scene at the moment.

And if we farangs try to point out a different way of doing things, we get the "not your country" retorts from Thais and "go home if you don't like it" from 'fellow' farangs.

Very sad.

Go home if you don't like it! :o

Very sad.

Go home if you don't like it! :o

My bad...I forgot that some of us out there like being robbed by the brown clowns. Call it a bribery if you like, but the terms theft, robbery, intemidation, stealing, harassment and screwing over your entire country and its people come to mine.

Oh by the way, it is those same people having to take this corruption that endear me to Thailand, its people and culture.

If Americans had to take this kind of abuse their entire lives I don't believe we could ever remain such a warm, generous and friendly people such as the Thais have managed. And it is exactly that quality of character of the general population that upsets me so much to see cheated by those abusing power.

I just find it impossible to completely accept coming from my background. Justice would be such a wonderful thing to see everyone here, Thai and Farang have the opportunity to enjoy.

So nanny, nanny billy goat right back at ya...

Very sad.

It's all Thailand outside my garden but if somebody crosses that line then it's my rules I'm afraid. Prison or no prison that's where me and my family live and I am dare I say it 'king' right there and I will protect it. When people tell me to go home because I am a farang with 'the niggles', I presume they mean my farm in Buriram, no? That is my home.

I have to say though it seems that more often it's the farangs who adopt the 'go home if you don't like it' attitude rather than the Thais. Anyway, my land, my rules, so all can do what all wants OFF my land. :o

As long as I remember the airport taxi system has been a mess with overcharging, appearing/ dissapearing taxis, rigging of meters and only certain type of taxis allowed to pick up passengers from the arrival hall. Recently on my last few trips from Don Muang, I've been taking cabs from the drop off point on the third floor. No long queue and no 50 baht surcharge (which I think is fair if a good system was in place). The driver did tell me though that the coppers allowing them to take passengers get 10 or 20 baht from the drivers. What's happening here is on the small scale of how things are run in this country. Unfortunate... I hope, but doubt if I'll ever see things run differently in the land of smiles. :o

And it's not just here (Thailand). I got a limo taxi from Kuala Lumpur airport and we got stopped by the police and the driver had to pay a fine of more than the fare. I didn't really hear what the problem was with the police, but they looked in the trunk at my suitcase and then let him go. He said something like "it happens every day" and "not allowed to pick up from airport", but he still took me to my hotel. Strange way to run a taxi service.