Retirement Visa

About to roll my one year non 'O' tourist visa over to first time

retirement visa. Non 'O' visa expires Feb 18, but

recently re-entered kingdom and given a further 90 day extension

thru to March 31st. Question: Which date do I work to for making application

for retirement visa Feb 18 or March 31?

There is no such thing as a one year O "Tourist" visa. Tourists visas are not O visas, and are good for 60 stays each entry.

There is no such thing as "retirement visa" that you obtain in Thailand. There is the annual extension based on retirement that you obtain in Thailand.

For your situation, I think you have an O visa (not a tourist visa). Your recent entry on that O gave you permission to stay until 31 March. Now you want to apply for an annual extension based on retirement in Thailand. If you receive this extension, the beginning date for that new permission to stay will be 31 March (the end of your current permission to stay), not 18 Feb. Typically you would apply for that about a month before 31 March. You will not need a new O visa to do this, as your current permission to stay is based on your existing O visa.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, if you actually have a tourist visa now and not an O visa, you will first have to obtain an O visa (either outside Thailand or at certain immigration offices in Thailand) before you can apply for an annual extension based on retirement.

Not needed. If the OP has his financials in order (800 K Baht in the bank for at least 2 months or the certified income), then he can change his tourist status to non immigrant status for a fee of 2000 Baht.

After that he'll be able to get his 1 year extension (1,900 Baht).

BTW, if you actually have a tourist visa now and not an O visa, you will first have to obtain an O visa (either outside Thailand or at certain immigration offices in Thailand) before you can apply for an annual extension based on retirement.

Not needed. If the OP has his financials in order (800 K Baht in the bank for at least 2 months or the certified income), then he can change his tourist status to non immigrant status for a fee of 2000 Baht.

After that he'll be able to get his 1 year extension (1,900 Baht).

That's what I meant. That change of status option (tourist or 30 day stamp to non-immigrant) though is not available at ALL Thai immigration offices. BTW, I deleted the text that you quoted because he CLEARLY does not have a tourist visa as he said he just recieved a 90 day permission to stay on entry. So it sounds like he already has a non immigrant O visa. A tourist visa gives 60 days.

For anyone reading this that does need to do a change of status to non-immigrant in Thailand, you need at least 21 days left on your current permission to stay to do this, so technically this can even be done on a 30 day stamp (at offices that perform these status changes).

Note-- in my first post I meant to say a tourist visa gives you 60 DAY stays, not 60 stays (of course).

Edited by Jingthing

OK it is a non immigrant 'O' multiple entry visa expiring feb 18, now

extended to Mar 31, which from you commets means I do not have

to make application for extension based on retirement until month

before Mar 31 - Yes?

Yes, I think so. Another visa geek can confirm here to increase your confidence.

Sorry to butt in on this thread...but I have a non-o expiring March 9th. I am from the US and plan to go the retirement visa route...even though I have a Thai wife.

Can I get the certified income letter here in Pattaya? Or do I have to visit BKK? I called a guy from the US embassy here in Pattaya, but no return call yet. His name is Gary. Just curious if anyone has done that here in Pattaya....

Thanks!!!

Craig

I am not aware of any official US representative in Pattaya. The US maintains only two Consulates in Thailand currently. One in Bangkok and the other in Chiang Mai. They do have trips to Pattaya at times where the letter could be obtained. Last two visits were July and November.

Thanks, that is what I thought. No worries! The wife and I will just have to make a day and night of it then. Eat out, visit friends, and enjoy BKK for a short trip....maybe even checkout Brown Sugar or Saxophones. I can think of worse things to have to do!

Craig

P.S.: lopburi3: I read on the newsletter of, I think, the Pattaya City Expats Club where there are 2 "representatives" of the US Embassy here in Pattaya. I am pretty sure UK has one also. I have called and left my number to call back, but nothing so far...

I am not aware of any official US representative in Pattaya. The US maintains only two Consulates in Thailand currently. One in Bangkok and the other in Chiang Mai. They do have trips to Pattaya at times where the letter could be obtained. Last two visits were July and November.

The one in Bangkok is the US Embassy, not Consultate. But the one in Chiang Mai is a Consulate.

The one in Bangkok is the US Embassy, not Consultate. But the one in Chiang Mai is a Consulate.

The embassy in Bangkok does have a consular section, that was what Lopburi was referring to.