True Internet Behaving Badly?

gavob

I think Maxnet have been working on their system between 10pm and midnight for the last few weeks.

The internet stops (not even 'pings' working to google, via 'www.google.com' or '64.233.189.104') for about an hour. Tonight it was from 10:15 to 11:15.

I guess the bar stewards at Maxnet think that is an acceptable period to switch their customers off without them getting too upset.

Wrong. :)

Edit:

I've just noticed that my downspeed is now 6 mbps (not 5) according to my router:

Upstream Speed: 512 kbps

Downstream Speed: 6144 kbps

Of course, my international speed to San Francisco is a lot less: 2500 / 360.

Edited by JetsetBkk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRUE is awful - in Bangkok anyway, just do a quality test at pingtest.net. grade D-F usually.

Agree with that TRUE are the WORST in BKK. Having said that they are 50,000 times better than #2. Stop whining & grow up or better yet move back to wherever you came from.

For the love of Pete?! What would make you respond like such a jerk? I had to check and read the thread twice to make sure we were only talking about True internet! Why didn't you just ask him why he doesn't just die? How dare he say that True is awful when it's simply a statement of fact? Mind boggling.

Yeah and what this jerk doesn't understand is that I am a guy doing my best to look afer my family and I am reliant on the net for this. Having really poor internet really sucks, and TRUE have a monopoly on phone lines out here. I don't blame my condo block either. They have been heavily sold down the river and people check out specifically because the TRUE internet is so bad. I mean I wouldn't mind using the TRUE wi-fi hotspot over the road, but guess what it doesn't work! Jst 1 KM from TRUE main office too. A freakin joke. All I get is upgrade, upgrade, but I havent got the service I've paid for yet. Kind of metaphorical for Thailand.

Also, their technicians they send out to customer sites are trained in one thing and one thing only. To find a way to blame you and your PC.

The technicians on the phone as well. 

If you tell them that you KEEP getting the message "This Connection Has Limited or No Connectivity" then they tell you to go into the connection's properties and uncheck the box "Warn Me When This Connection Has Limited or No Connectivity".

Only one option that will ever start to clear through the fog here. That option is EXPERT EXPAT SUPERVISION of the entire technical team.  

Edited by Ponbkk

Your username well thats a new one :D

Mine told me it was my lan connected to the router (even he stayed on that after when I showed him down down down pictures without the Lan connected) :D

Also he told me I put the wireless thing at a wrong place because if I close my wooden door then the signal will be bad :D:D:D

hehe next time it will be the ghosts

maybe we can fix your problem with some Voodoo

I have the same problem its simply there infra structure

The people who are coming do not have a clue mine did not even looked at the diagnostics for the signal strength and signal noise thing

I have now bad in internet after install for 3 weeks , I have another one in my wife's shop in Pridi and that is good.

I know enough about the lan wan etc ... he I studied that

So I will asked them again again to come by and then contact my laywer. Really I will not win but they will not simply get away with it in my case.

I will not give up simply add another provider and send the bills to them together with the damage they creating

Pieter :)

Was told two years ago, "I can see from here that your cables are bad. You need to get new ones." when I told her she was wrong, she offered to send out a technician, but if she was right about the cables, I'd have to pay 350 baht. I just hung up the phone. When I woke up the next morning, my connection was back to normal. Glad to have cancelled.

TRUE is awful - in Bangkok anyway, just do a quality test at pingtest.net. grade D-F usually.

Agree with that TRUE are the WORST in BKK. Having said that they are 50,000 times better than #2. Stop whining & grow up or better yet move back to wherever you came from.

For the love of Pete?! What would make you respond like such a jerk? I had to check and read the thread twice to make sure we were only talking about True internet! Why didn't you just ask him why he doesn't just die? How dare he say that True is awful when it's simply a statement of fact? Mind boggling.

He probably works for true.

He probably works for true.

LOL. Or for Pete, who he loves.

okay, so i have a problem with my connection.

the internet works fine, we have a 3mb connection at home connected to a belkin wireless n router, and i get speeds of up to 300 kbps on torrents so i guess that part is fine.

what i can't seem to figure out is that facebook chat NEVER works for me. the problem i get is when i send a message to someone it just says "sending" but nothing ever happens, and then after a while it says "could not connect to facebook chat at this time." then when i click elsewhere on facebook it shows that the message was sent but then i never receive messages from others.

so i told true about this problem and they blamed it on my modem so they came over and exchanged it and as soon as the new modem was connected it was working...until i got disconnected and then i stopped working from then on. so at night, i turned the modem off before going to bed, and turned it on in the morning again and it was working again...but when i came home and reconnected it doesn't work.

anybody else have this problem? i'm beginning to think it might be my laptop, i'm running windows 7 and google chrome, i've tried it on internet explorer, firefox, and opera and i get the same problem. true seems to think it was the modem and it clearly isn't and i don't want to argue with them about this.

so does anyone else have this problem?

I suggest you contact www.tci.or.th and file a complaint (this goes for everyone on all trouble ISP's)

How to complain, it's all written in thai... :)

02-634-6000. Call them.

@akarmaka:

Use a VPN proxy and you should have things loading and working fine.

True always tries to say that the "problem exists at my PC", and they go silent when I say that when I use a VPN proxy everything loads fine.

Edited by filingaccount

I suggest you contact www.tci.or.th and file a complaint (this goes for everyone on all trouble ISP's)

02-634-6000. Call them.

@akarmaka:

True always tries to say that the "problem exists at my PC", and they go silent when I say that when I use a VPN proxy everything loads fine.

Thanks, will call them tomorrow

02-634-6000. Call them.

@akarmaka:

how do i go about using a vpn proxy? you can pm me with the directions if you want. i'm running windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

Today my True internet was even worse than usual.

I went to the local internet cafe 300 metres away- same story on True. Then I switched to their TOT gateway, and the internet was functioning quite well although still a bit slow.

A simple but very telling comparison.

okay so i have a question for all the users out there, which has a better response and bandwidth, true or tot? i have true right now and i've noticed a lot of pages being blocked by the mcit.th or whatever organization that is, but noticed some of these same pages aren't blocked by tot? anyways, i don't care about customer service, i just want to know which is the best provider in the asoke area of bangkok. i have both true and tot lines at my place, but internet is through true only, so i'm thinking about changing to tot.

Everytime I have had a problem with my internet (TOT) I called them up and told them that the connection was down. They would then begin to go through the routine and I would interupt them and say 'Its ok, I know that it is your connection that is wrong as I have multiple devices trying to connect and all are failing. I havent called to ask for your help, as you will be fixing it from there, I am calling to ask you how much of a discount you will be taking off of this months bill because you are failing to give me what I have paid for?' Twice I have done that, and twice the connection has restored itself during that conversation. That was over a year ago, and since then, the service has been without fault. Sorry, I cant give you any details on what deal I am on, except that I pay 700 baht a month and the speed isnt exactly gonna set the world on fire. I send out a ping, and get back the crash of a gong.

How to complain, it's all written in thai... :D

02-634-6000. Call them.

@akarmaka:

I have the same question as another poster, how to use the VPN Proxy (provided I understand what that means..) :)

Edited by flemmie

okay, so i have a problem with my connection.

the internet works fine, we have a 3mb connection at home connected to a belkin wireless n router, and i get speeds of up to 300 kbps on torrents so i guess that part is fine.

what i can't seem to figure out is that facebook chat NEVER works for me. the problem i get is when i send a message to someone it just says "sending" but nothing ever happens, and then after a while it says "could not connect to facebook chat at this time." then when i click elsewhere on facebook it shows that the message was sent but then i never receive messages from others.

so i told true about this problem and they blamed it on my modem so they came over and exchanged it and as soon as the new modem was connected it was working...until i got disconnected and then i stopped working from then on. so at night, i turned the modem off before going to bed, and turned it on in the morning again and it was working again...but when i came home and reconnected it doesn't work.

anybody else have this problem? i'm beginning to think it might be my laptop, i'm running windows 7 and google chrome, i've tried it on internet explorer, firefox, and opera and i get the same problem. true seems to think it was the modem and it clearly isn't and i don't want to argue with them about this.

so does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, this is it in a nutshell. I get bad service on basic web sites. But sometimes I download stuuf at lightning speed. They don't seem to understand that speed is not the main/only issue. The qualty is not there and no matter what is said it's always upgrade, upgrade to more meg. Meanwhile you to do a quality check and it's grade 'd'.

Since I switched to True ADSL in Chiang Mai late last year I have experienced the following problems (on all computers in the household):

The router connection "resets" every few hours and forces every computer to view the True Homepage once. (Switched out the router and solved that issue as the homepage seems to be hardwired in the router firmware.)

Can not post updates on Twitter, further, many SSL forms which use HTML POST command often seem to be non-responsive.

Can not reliably use ftp to upload files.

Thaivisa usually loads slowly, seems to be unable to load the icons and images.

I can confirm that these issues are 100% related to the connection, not the client software or OS.

However, I can download rapidshare and bittorrents at full speed regularly, so bandwidth does not seem to be the issue -- it seems to be some sort of proxy or filter on the True side which is blocking certain HTML protocols or services.

I also use a cheap VPN service and suddenly all the problems I have been having are gone. For $14 for 3 months and unlimited data, my VPN is a blessing!!!

Since I switched to True ADSL in Chiang Mai late last year I have experienced the following problems (on all computers in the household):

The router connection "resets" every few hours and forces every computer to view the True Homepage once. (Switched out the router and solved that issue as the homepage seems to be hardwired in the router firmware.)

Can not post updates on Twitter, further, many SSL forms which use HTML POST command often seem to be non-responsive.

I can confirm that these issues are 100% related to the connection, not the client software or OS.

However, I can download rapidshare and bittorrents at full speed regularly, so bandwidth does not seem to be the issue -- it seems to be some sort of proxy or filter on the True side which is blocking certain HTML protocols or services.

I also use a cheap VPN service and suddenly all the problems I have been having are gone. For $14 for 3 months and unlimited data, my VPN is a blessing!!!

TRUE uses "Netscaler" as Proxy, it is hardwired to any http requests, you cannot escape from it. While this proxy can speed up connections, it is more a source of problems when overloaded.

Second, TRUE uses "Bluecoat" as censorship software. This is a second source of possible problems.

But all this is not specific to TRUE, all Thai ISPs do filtering.

The reason why you cannot see ThaiVisa images, is that you probably use OpenDNS or Google DNS. TRUE has heavily f*cked up something about their DNS system and their corresponding proxy/censorship Software. Occasionally I have no access to Blogspot for the same reason.

Some solutions:

Pay 200 Bt extra and get the "Premium" package. It improves international transfers and has the additional value that you can use their 15000 hotspots in Bangkok at 3Mb/s for free. Works very well for me.

TRUE gives out cheap Zyxel routers which are another source of problems. You may install the latest Zyxel firmware to reduce these problems, but these cheap modems are known as instable, rebooting frequently, probably due to overheating. Once every 24 hours, TRUE does drop the line anyway.

Best is, buy a proper modem and use a Linksys Router with alternative Firmware (Tomato, DD-WRT).

Another hint: use the official TRUE proxy. This seems to work better than their forced Netscaler proxy. It is at proxy.asianet.co.th, port 8080. Of course this proxy will still filter unwanted content - but not too bad in my experience.

The VPN way mentioned above is another solution. When you use a VPN, make sure that it is fast enough to handle your requests. Otherwise you just come from one problem to another.

Basically, now from 2 months experience with TRUE in BKK, it is better than the moaning at ThaiVisa suggests. I had a few interruptions but never more than a few minutes. TRUE is not perfect, but remember, you are in a 3rd world country which even cannot get sidewalks properly done :)

TRUE uses "Netscaler" as Proxy, it is hardwired to any http requests, you cannot escape from it. While this proxy can speed up connections, it is more a source of problems when overloaded.

Second, TRUE uses "Bluecoat" as censorship software. This is a second source of possible problems.

But all this is not specific to TRUE, all Thai ISPs do filtering.

The reason why you cannot see ThaiVisa images, is that you probably use OpenDNS or Google DNS. TRUE has heavily f*cked up something about their DNS system and their corresponding proxy/censorship Software. Occasionally I have no access to Blogspot for the same reason.

Some solutions:

Pay 200 Bt extra and get the "Premium" package. It improves international transfers and has the additional value that you can use their 15000 hotspots in Bangkok at 3Mb/s for free. Works very well for me.

TRUE gives out cheap Zyxel routers which are another source of problems. You may install the latest Zyxel firmware to reduce these problems, but these cheap modems are known as instable, rebooting frequently, probably due to overheating. Once every 24 hours, TRUE does drop the line anyway.

Best is, buy a proper modem and use a Linksys Router with alternative Firmware (Tomato, DD-WRT).

Another hint: use the official TRUE proxy. This seems to work better than their forced Netscaler proxy. It is at proxy.asianet.co.th, port 8080. Of course this proxy will still filter unwanted content - but not too bad in my experience.

The VPN way mentioned above is another solution. When you use a VPN, make sure that it is fast enough to handle your requests. Otherwise you just come from one problem to another.

Basically, now from 2 months experience with TRUE in BKK, it is better than the moaning at ThaiVisa suggests. I had a few interruptions but never more than a few minutes. TRUE is not perfect, but remember, you are in a 3rd world country which even cannot get sidewalks properly done :)

so it's better than TOT in bangkok? i tried the vpn way but it slows down things way too much for my convenience, what is this true proxy thing? how do you use it?

Yup, you nailed it. I had earlier switched to OpenDNS (later GoogleDNS) because my previous ISP, Maxnet/3BB, had severe latency resolving DNS -- often I had to reload a page 2 to 4 times before it would "resolve" and then load.

I'll check it out. But I have unlimited 3G plan on my iphone (which I can tether to my notebook) which actually seems faster than my 8mb ADSL, so the hotspots are not so appealing. And True 3G has started rolling out in my town, Chiang Mai, too.

TRUE gives out cheap Zyxel routers which are another source of problems. You may install the latest Zyxel firmware to reduce these problems

Initially I tried but couldn't locate the firmware. True supplied a router the awfully generic model name: "Wifi v1". I can't even find mention of it on Zyxel's website. Anyway I'm running DD-WRT on a better router now.

When you use a VPN, make sure that it is fast enough to handle your requests. Otherwise you just come from one problem to another.

Fortunately, my VPN is a PURE (cough) delight! Cheap, reliable, can handle full speeds, and has nodes in the UK, USA, Canada and Germany, so I can pretend to be in those locations and use both the BBC iplayer and Google Voice from here. Only limitation is they don't let you run torrents on their USA nodes, so I have to remember to turn off utorrent when I switch over. I pretty much leave the VPN on full time these days. I'd say the VPN is a better solution than paying for True Premium, and it's even cheaper too.

I found that changing the DNS server addresses from 203.144.207.49 and 203.144.207.29 to the new Google DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and this seemed to solve many problems...

MNM

p.s. Agree that True are rubbish, but better than anything else I've tried.

I have TOT.

For the passed 1 week, internet keeps dropping out for a few mins at a time and this happened the whole day. I have called 1177 call centre, the technician came to my house and the first thing he did checked ADSL speed. I told him that my complaints was not about the speed but the connection kept dropping.

THOMSON.pdf

I have had True 8mb service for 3 months here in Pattaya and could not be happer. I am bit torrenting at a very fast rate and in the time I have had it it has been down just a few hours over the whole time. It does reset every once in a while but all in all this is Thailand and I am happy.