Skin Nibbling Fish, As A Method To Soften Rough Feet?

Richb2004v2

I noticed in both the shopping malls I use that a new unit has set up with tanks of fish that apparently eat dead skin cells. I like the idea as a novelty, but wonder at just how effective this is. I have particularly rough skin on my feet and therefore doubt if I will benefit but will try it just for the fun. Has anyone else had a go or know anything about it? I think it's around 200 baht for 30 minutes.

Yeah, that's been around awhile. I've tried it. It DID make my feet softer, but I couldn't tolerate it long enough to get all the skin. It tickles like crazy! And, it just kinda freaks me out thinking about fish biting my feet. It's actually banned in some US states because it's unsanitary and can spread disease if not properly cleaned and regulated....and I highly doubt it is in Thailand. The novelty was good and I'm glad I did it once, but overall, it wasn't as effective or enjoyable as an old fashioned pedicure.

These fish pedicure places really gross me out. It has nothing to do with the fish, but the fact is they don't change the water and help spread fungal infections. Many states in the US have banned these places in these places, and with good reason. Be warned!

I tried it and it gave me a creepy feeling. I did not think about the unsanitary aspects until reading this thread. They did wipe down my feet before allowing them to be dipped into the water, but I don't think it did anything more than to wipe off the sweat.

TheWalkingMan

I did it on Khaosan Road, the capital of the Great Unwashed, and believe me, down there the fish need their stomachs pumped every hour.

it's not for everybody but a lot of people seem to like it including me. It seems most people find it ticklish for the first 5 minutes then it just becomes very relaxing.

Most of the businesses use UV light to kill bacteria etc in the water which is the same method used to make drinking water safe. Seriously if your really worried about fungus then what the heck are you doing in Thailand? Hot, moist and dirty. Thailand is a fungal utopia.

Not all the fish spa's are equal. A lot of them use other fish than the Gara Rufa fish which do the best job. Some of the other fish I find are less gentle but still beneficial.

Give it a try and you might be impressed. I thought it was just a fad but after two visits my skin below my knees is really improved and smooth. I would like to dip my arms next.

I happened to be shopping at Big C today and walked by these fish tanks. Then my attention was directed to the stupid looking farangs with their $hit eating grins on their faces while they dangled their little toes in the tanks.

I about upchucked my lunch right there on the spot.

<deleted> ..... Do it behind closed doors.

Edited by just_another_guy

For the price of a trip to a few streams in the mountains the native fish will do it for free. It is a tingling feeling.

pir_idx.gif

In the wild however be sure you don't meet this nasty fellows...

I find those new 'fish spas' quitte discusting, they can't desinfect the water because it will kill the fish so you can imagine the health risks. The fishtanks I have seen here in Chiangmai do NOT have a water inlet/outlet that makes it very hard to clean for 100% so they might postpone this easy, or have it done by unskilled staff who don't care and who have no idea the big risks. They are just as any normal full glass aquarium with a seat on one side.

Doubtable developments if you ask me !

Edited by ManilaLover

Well they don't change water in swimming pools do they? They use Chlorine or salt to disinfect, in this case many eatsblishments use UV light to disinfect. For people that live in Thailand some of you are quite funny about your desire for sanitary conditions. Ever looked back of shop in some of the places you eat?

Well they don't change water in swimming pools do they? They use Chlorine or salt to disinfect, in this case many eatsblishments use UV light to disinfect. For people that live in Thailand some of you are quite funny about your desire for sanitary conditions. Ever looked back of shop in some of the places you eat?

But your point would seem to say that chlorine is used in swimming pools........why not the non chemical UV light??........unless of course the effect of the UV is limited??

I always knew the Thai were multi talented....didn't know they cooked with their feet...... :)

I would wager the fish tank water at fish spa's is a lot cleaner than the water that everybody in Thailand eats their fish from or that most vegetables are grown.

Whoa its time to change the river water again. Darn it that is so inconvenient!!!!

Ammonia, Chlorine and non neutral PH will kill the fish. So right off the bat its better than taking a bath in Thailand tap water.

I would definitely not go to a fish spa if there area bunch of dead fish in the water.

The way it works though is that the fish are not fed anything else so they are voracious when you put your foot in. If there was a bunch of crap in the water they would have eaten it already.

Maybe there is a case that the fish themselves could transfer something but if there was anything to eat in the water they would not be so interested in your feet.

I would wager the fish tank water at fish spa's is a lot cleaner than the water that everybody in Thailand eats their fish from or that most vegetables are grown.

Whoa its time to change the river water again. Darn it that is so inconvenient!!!!

Ammonia, Chlorine and non neutral PH will kill the fish. So right off the bat its better than taking a bath in Thailand tap water.

I would definitely not go to a fish spa if there area bunch of dead fish in the water.

The way it works though is that the fish are not fed anything else so they are voracious when you put your foot in. If there was a bunch of crap in the water they would have eaten it already.

Maybe there is a case that the fish themselves could transfer something but if there was anything to eat in the water they would not be so interested in your feet.

But you would never see a bunch of dead fish in the water......."if there was a bunch of crap in the water they would have eaten it already"....... :)

I tried the 'Fish Spa' for 15 minutes today. There was no one else using the shop at the time and it was quite early in the day so I figured if there were water issues then it should be fairly clean at that time. It was an initially strange but relaxing feeling. Had the chair been more comfortable I could quite see myself sitting for an hour with a coffee and a book. The effect on my hardened feet was minimal, and as another poster said a good foot scrub with a pumas stone would be far better. I forget to check what system was actually been used as far as filtration is concerned but I think I will go back and use it again anyway maybe for longer to give it a better chance.

I think that I'll pass on the fish thing, but I do wonder what that cream mentioned above is that softens the skin before scrubbing. I got a foot massage on the beach once and the woman used a cream that looked like hair conditioner and it really worked good. It was in an unmarked bottle and she didn't want to tell the secret but i think it is a common cheap everyday product.

Anyone know what it is??

I tried it in The Avenue a few weeks ago. As claimed my feet felt very refreshed afterwards. I intend doing it again a few days before I return home. No shit eating grin,but I was after a good day at the bowling alley so maybe a hint of the cat who swallowed the cream. :)

I tried the 'Fish Spa' for 15 minutes today. There was no one else using the shop at the time and it was quite early in the day so I figured if there were water issues then it should be fairly clean at that time. It was an initially strange but relaxing feeling. Had the chair been more comfortable I could quite see myself sitting for an hour with a coffee and a book. The effect on my hardened feet was minimal, and as another poster said a good foot scrub with a pumas stone would be far better. I forget to check what system was actually been used as far as filtration is concerned but I think I will go back and use it again anyway maybe for longer to give it a better chance.

My wife and I tried it yesterday at the Tesco's in Banchang, which is probably where you went.

For me the novelty wore off after about 10 minutes, and I couldn't imagine sitting there for an hour, comfortable chair and good book or no. There is a certain refreshed feeling on the feet afterwards, but probably nothing more than you'd get from a good scrub. Their bumf says that the water goes through a UV filter.

It's just an amusement really, although it has an honourable pedigree, as it was the method by which Allied prisoners of war cleaned the sores and wounds on their bodies in the Japanese camps. The displays in the replica camps at Kanchanaburi include drawings by the POWs illustrating exactly this.

I think that I'll pass on the fish thing, but I do wonder what that cream mentioned above is that softens the skin before scrubbing. I got a foot massage on the beach once and the woman used a cream that looked like hair conditioner and it really worked good. It was in an unmarked bottle and she didn't want to tell the secret but i think it is a common cheap everyday product.

Anyone know what it is??

it's just another fashion thing for customers especially 'lonely planets' and nothing more then a business thing for the owners who, i guess lack every education on health and bodycare.

i'm really not impressed by those 'fish spa's'. it's even misusing the term 'spa' because it has nothing of the qualities of a spa treatment..

FISH SPA = FAIL

• 9 months later...

I did a quick search here on the forum and only saw two topics dealing with fish nibbling dead skin off of the feet and legs at booths there in Thailand. On another forum there were similar comments as here regarding doubts about the cleanliness of the water but the UV treatment ought to do some good, if it IS used there. I couldn't say.

I posted to my blog this morning the story of trying one of these places (on Soi Thaniva off of Silom in Bangkok) back in March of this year, and there are a number of photos there if people who have not visited or seen them are curious. I found it to be just short of a pleasurable sensation, but some seem to love it. One poster on another forum likened the feeling to that of many tiny electrical shocks.

As for the water, it was probably cleaner than what one gets on their feet walking many of the beaches there in touristy areas. Ah, well.

My story is on My Thailand blog here...

I've suffered with hard skin/cracking skin on my feet, especially when working on construction sites where I'm trudging around in work boots all day.

I've found the best cure is a foot Balm produced by Eurecin but also available from Boots, see links below.

Boots - Intensive Care Foot Balm

Eucerin Intensive Care Foot Balm

The fish might be fun, but either of these two products will cure your dry feet in a matter of days.

As a matter of caution, if you have cracking skin under your feet you ought to mention this to your doctor next time you have a check-up on the slim chance that it may be due to too high a concentration of Vitamin A in your body.