I'm Single!

hello, this is something i have never come across before in Asia.

I maybe getting married this year, yeah maybe!!! now i have been asked to produce a document proving I'm single? ok im no catch! but how does one prove that they are, indeed single?????? i could prove i am married by showing a marriage certificate, yes? but single????

do i get one made up in Bangkok? it would not be a fake as i have never been married.

Any suggestions? funny or serious as i have been laughing bout this since i was told about it.

many thanks Kevin

:)

The normal way is to complete a form provided by your embassy and have them sign and stamp it, for a fee of course. You take that form with you to the Amphur when you register your marriage. Check your embassies website and they will have the procedure for getting married in Thailand and probably have the form available for download.

You don't say what country you're from. In any case, start with your embassy. Procedure for the U.S. Embassy is pretty simple and set out here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

SERVICES

Marriage in Thailand

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage. For American citizens marrying either Thai citizens or another American citizen, the procedure is the same. For Americans marrying a third-country national, their prospective spouse must also follow a similar procedure with their own embassy.

Procedure

1. Complete an affidavit at the U.S. Embassy. The affidavit form, available in our office or you may download a copy of the form here, includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy. The notarial fee is $30. To make an appointment for a notarial, please click here.

2. Have the notarized affidavit translated. Click here for a list of translators in the Bangkok area.

3. Take the affidavit and translation to:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Tel:(02) 575-1057-8, Fax:(02) 575-1054

4. Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:

Your American passport;

Identification for the other party, such as a Thai citizen's identification card;

If either party is under the age of twenty, written permission from the parents (with Thai translation);

If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated; either divorce or death certificates. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac

You don't say what country you're from. In any case, start with your embassy. Procedure for the U.S. Embassy is pretty simple and set out here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

SERVICES

Marriage in Thailand

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage. For American citizens marrying either Thai citizens or another American citizen, the procedure is the same. For Americans marrying a third-country national, their prospective spouse must also follow a similar procedure with their own embassy.

Procedure

1. Complete an affidavit at the U.S. Embassy. The affidavit form, available in our office or you may download a copy of the form here, includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy. The notarial fee is $30. To make an appointment for a notarial, please click here.

2. Have the notarized affidavit translated. Click here for a list of translators in the Bangkok area.

3. Take the affidavit and translation to:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Tel:(02) 575-1057-8, Fax:(02) 575-1054

4. Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:

Your American passport;

Identification for the other party, such as a Thai citizen's identification card;

If either party is under the age of twenty, written permission from the parents (with Thai translation);

If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated; either divorce or death certificates. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac

thanks soo much guys that was so quick! I am English and currently living in Laos with my Laos fiancee, but maybe planning to live in Thailand as the work and pay is much better. i dont think she has a problem living in Thailand but i think i should maybe get my side sorted out first!

thanks again and any information is useful

Kevin

As I understand from a case from an English friend, you seem to need a document from the local administration in your hometown stating your status.

With that paper you can go to the British Embassy in Bangkok, translation service, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You simply have to go to the British Embassy in Bangkok and ask for an "Affirmation to Marry" certificate.

If you have been married before then you need to show them your decree nisi (Divorce paper) but if you are a bachelor then you just sign the form to say so and they take your word for it.

They will then issue you with an Affirmation to Marry certificate which any Amphur will accept without question.

HL :)

I dont know why Thanyaburi Mac thought you might be American....lol....I could tell straight away you were a native English Man.

Apart from the football club emblem as an avatar its so obvious from the wording you have used in your post. Far from being American. hehehe

HL :)

Hi Kev. This may be a little off topic, but what is the legal situation in having a Laos girlfriend and living in Laos? I understood that such mixed relationships were not allowed. Are you able to freely live together, and marry? I would guess the answer is yes, otherwise you wouldn't be posting your queston, but I'd be interested to know how easy it is having a serious relationship with a Laotian in Laos.

Once you're married, presumably as long as you have legal status in Thailand she would be able to join you as your wife. Would she also be able to get a job/work permit for Thailand?

Maybe this belongs in a different part of the forum, and, if so, unless the Mods can move it, perhaps you could PM me.

Cheers. (Yes, there is a Laos girl here in Thailand I like!)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Kev. This may be a little off topic, but what is the legal situation in having a Laos girlfriend and living in Laos? I understood that such mixed relationships were not allowed. Are you able to freely live together, and marry? I would guess the answer is yes, otherwise you wouldn't be posting your queston, but I'd be interested to know how easy it is having a serious relationship with a Laotian in Laos.

Once you're married, presumably as long as you have legal status in Thailand she would be able to join you as your wife. Would she also be able to get a job/work permit for Thailand?

Maybe this belongs in a different part of the forum, and, if so, unless the Mods can move it, perhaps you could PM me.

Cheers. (Yes, there is a Laos girl here in Thailand I like!)

firstly i have to say thanks again guys for the help!

secondly it is a problem living here, we had to get engaged and to do that we had to have an engagement party in both towns we live in!!! we had the chief of police sign our paperwork as he is a friend of the family.....but until we are married we should not live under the same roof, but thats the same for laos people also.

and she would have to get a thai work permit also if she worked in thailand.

thankfully my fiancee is quite well known here, so i think people are turning a blind eye.....if my next post comes from a Laos jail, then????

the last thing to say is we (English) dont have an embassy here, stupid government!!!! we have to go via the Australian embassy, how degrading is that!

sorry gotta go now speak soon and thanks again everybody.

Kevin