Good Article

dickie58

Nonsense, the single male / monger is rapidly becoming a minority here, take a look around, a lot of family's holidaying here now, you seem to be of the mindset that Pattaya is only to be represented by the activities of walking street and soi 6 etc., things have progressed somewhat these days!

The main 'progress' in Pattaya has been the building of more and more bars between the points of Walking St and Soi 6 that you quote, both on Beach Road and Second Road.

And a lot more bars in Soi Buakhao and the streets leading from there up to Third Road and down to Second Road.

Pattaya is still a long way off being a family destination, the only way that will happen is for the government to order all the bars closed.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LennyW:

- My Brighton comparison is for a mature developed residential beach location that is not a capital city on the beach unlike Hong Kong or Singpore. Nothing to do with the beaches.

- My assumption is that if foreign land ownership was opened up we may experience an unpredictable influx of foreign buyers and perhaps for purely immigration purposes. On the premise that more parties are not enquiring now from a lifestyle choice perspective and do not know that they can't buy freehold now anyway, and are therefore presently chosing not to buy. There is no significant pent up demand waiting for freehold that is not accepting long lease / company.

- Russians may be the most obvious family tourist group now, but they are buying property in very low numbers. Few western families (and Bangkok Thai families) go to Pattaya these days. I wish this was not the case, but it would appear to be this way to me.

- I thought the problem was the vast quantity of unsold Thai condo quota? With an increase in foreign quota there should be greater regulation for new development to reduce any new over supply risk. (wishful thinking on my part)

Goa is where the foreigners are losing their homes,visas being withdrawn ie visas now are issued on a 90 day stay maximum with a stay away for 2 months before obtaining another 90 day visa,just how would property owners cope with just the visa situation here let alone being called for investigation of just how you managed to actually buy the property here in Thailand,all happening now in Goa ,just three hours away

The sky has fallen on top of them ,thousands of 'em

Thanks for the link you provided on a previous post, have been following "Buyer Beware!"

I have many friends in Goa in this situation and the scary thing is it could very easily happen here or something similar.

The 2 month stay away is the killer

I was lucky in that I never stayed long enough to have my property put in my name, have been trying to sell for years but only Indians buying now and a lot of properties to choose from

:)

Goa is where the foreigners are losing their homes,visas being withdrawn ie visas now are issued on a 90 day stay maximum with a stay away for 2 months before obtaining another 90 day visa,just how would property owners cope with just the visa situation here let alone being called for investigation of just how you managed to actually buy the property here in Thailand,all happening now in Goa ,just three hours away

for the record: these foreigners are not losing their homes but the possibility to stay year round in Goa.

quote: "Each year over 3000 foreigners apply for extensions to stay in the coastal area of Goa, probably one of the most popular tourist destinations because of its idyllic scenery. But the Goa home department have rejecting these applications citing that it is against Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) rules.

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-rele...sible-51836.php

As Special secretary Diwan Chand says, "We are acting as per the MEA's visa manual."

for the record: these foreigners are not losing their homes but the possibility to stay year round in Goa.

quote: "Each year over 3000 foreigners apply for extensions to stay in the coastal area of Goa, probably one of the most popular tourist destinations because of its idyllic scenery. But the Goa home department have rejecting these applications citing that it is against Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) rules.

As Special secretary Diwan Chand says, "We are acting as per the MEA's visa manual."

What you are quoting is almost a year old,things have moved on a pace since then.Show Cause notices (as they are called) requires the foreign owner of property to submit to a lengthy investigation as to why they they should not lose their property,(first batches are now being processed)usually held in Bombay.Each and every case is being adjudged by retrospective laws now being enacted,even Gordon Brown has got involved as to the confiscation of foreign owned property in Goa.If you care to follow Britishexpats website you will see the unfolding situation,quoting from old documentation means nothing.They are all trapped ,none can buy,none can sell,simply put the Indians want foreigners out and they will achieve it.

The precise wording that the Indians are using to exclude foreigners is the'the intention to stay'when they bought the property,none can prove that they can determine their length of stay because of the visa situation,so it's goodbye to your property.,

Anyway try to pick up more meaningful and up to date information,like reading the current website as to the situation as it now stands.

What you are quoting is almost a year old,things have moved on a pace since then.Show Cause notices (as they are called) requires the foreign owner of property to submit to a lengthy investigation as to why they they should not lose their property,(first batches are now being processed)usually held in Bombay.Each and every case is being adjudged by retrospective laws now being enacted,even Gordon Brown has got involved as to the confiscation of foreign owned property in Goa.If you care to follow Britishexpats website you will see the unfolding situation,quoting from old documentation means nothing.They are all trapped ,none can buy,none can sell,simply put the Indians want foreigners out and they will achieve it.

The precise wording that the Indians are using to exclude foreigners is the'the intention to stay'when they bought the property,none can prove that they can determine their length of stay because of the visa situation,so it's goodbye to your property.,

Anyway try to pick up more meaningful and up to date information,like reading the current website as to the situation as it now stands.

Agreed, This is correct

Just read up on the Goa situation. A good example of how a bad situation (ours) can turn a lot worse (theirs).

However there seems to be some question of illegality of the original land purchases in India if I'm not mistaken?

Maybe analogous to buying houses in Thailand in company names?

Just read up on the Goa situation. A good example of how a bad situation (ours) can turn a lot worse (theirs).

However there seems to be some question of illegality of the original land purchases in India if I'm not mistaken?

Maybe analogous to buying houses in Thailand in company names?

There was nothing illegal about the majority of property purchases in Goa at that time(four or more years ago) ,most had high court advocates to research and complete the sale,deeds were issued,and the land registry duly registered the properties.It is the Indians who made it illegal by means whatever method they could and did adopt mostly illegal(retrospective)

It was Winston Churchill in 1947 who described Indians as men of straw,unfit for government,sweet tongued but evil minded,true then,even truer today.

Trying to disprove a fact(Goa) seemingly to make the situation here in Thailand more credible with property issues,well its like walking on quicksand,it surely will give way.

Trying to disprove a fact(Goa) seemingly to make the situation here in Thailand more credible with property issues,well its like walking on quicksand,it surely will give way.

it is good to know that God has been sending prophets again to enlighten us :)

No i don't think it is simlar, isn't there a farang quota in place that only 49% of the units in a condo building can be owned in a farang name?

What about the remaining 51% in a condo, Thai name or Thai company name, isnt that basically the same deal as owning a house & land?

Didn't think you got any land as such when you bought a condo, you get much more for your money buying a house & land, isn't that true?

Very true, and at least with a house you dont have to refer to a book of rules every 5 minutes to see if you are allowed to do something or not in your "own" building!! :):D

Since when can a foreigner own the land? Even ownership of the house on leased / borrowed land is insecure.

Hi Fred.

I see you have a thread running on your house on CTH, how about you posting some of the design pictures of your up-coming house on this thread?

Naam

You are a level-headed "just give me the facts" kind of guy. I know from following your posts over the years that you benefit from the tax savings on your income here in Thailand.

But to ignore what is happening in Goa and Spain to expatiates who have chosen to buy homes in these popular locations, is akin to burying your head in the sand. These are very disquieting developments for those who said Thailand would never move on "quasi-legal" schemes that skirt the intent of the law. In fact, in both countries, they are "re-interpreting" what were once acceptable ways to own a private home. And there seems to be no collateral damages to these countries. So much for the "they would never dare" school of thought. :D

Four posts deleted.

Private in fighting between members comes under one or other, or maybe both of the headings below.

4) Not to flame fellow members.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

When I've read them all properly I'll decide who gets awarded what.

Naam

You are a level-headed "just give me the facts" kind of guy. I know from following your posts over the years that you benefit from the tax savings on your income here in Thailand.

But to ignore what is happening in Goa and Spain to expatiates who have chosen to buy homes in these popular locations, is akin to burying your head in the sand. These are very disquieting developments for those who said Thailand would never move on "quasi-legal" schemes that skirt the intent of the law. In fact, in both countries, they are "re-interpreting" what were once acceptable ways to own a private home. And there seems to be no collateral damages to these countries. So much for the "they would never dare" school of thought. :D

i have not heard of any expatriates who's properties were "confiscated" in Spain and neither do i have any proof that foreigners are "losing" their homes in Goa. what i know from own experience is that the Goanese are (not so nice). years ago we were on the verge of buying land in Goa and found out in the very last minute that the nearby located Indian Navy would not allow any construction (national security... my àss!). having said so, i staete that we own three different properties all in our name in India (Mumbai and Pune). the big difference is that both the Mrs and my [not so] humble self acquired the "right of abode" (not a visa!) in India.

as far as Thailand is concerned we took a calculated risk, did not bury our heads in the sand but looked at the risk reward ratio. the house is in our name, the land is in the name of a company. that the authorities go after companies is [YAWWWNNNN...] a story i hear since a decade or two. but whatever... if if they take our house and "our" land away the loss would be nearly be compensated by living six years free of income tax.

personally i think it is ridiculous making insinuations that the farangs will be soon expropriated and kicked out of the country as there are no indications for that. the same goes for "tightening" visas. there was and is no tightening at all. be 50 or above, put THB 800k in the bank and everything runs smoothly. period! if you don't qualify for a long term visa, well... that's bad luck.

No i don't think it is simlar, isn't there a farang quota in place that only 49% of the units in a condo building can be owned in a farang name?

What about the remaining 51% in a condo, Thai name or Thai company name, isnt that basically the same deal as owning a house & land?

Didn't think you got any land as such when you bought a condo, you get much more for your money buying a house & land, isn't that true?

Very true, and at least with a house you dont have to refer to a book of rules every 5 minutes to see if you are allowed to do something or not in your "own" building!! :):D

Since when can a foreigner own the land? Even ownership of the house on leased / borrowed land is insecure.

Hi Fred.

I see you have a thread running on your house on CTH, how about you posting some of the design pictures of your up-coming house on this thread?

Rather odd looking house, on the plans anyway, it might be OK when its finished.

This thread has gotten well away from the original posters article, despite that is has made 8735 hits with 380 posts. But it seems now that it is in it's death throws and has outlived it's usefulness.

//CLOSED//