Best Value Vehicle

scorpio1945

I am looking for any opinions on the best value vechile for CR. I have heard that PU's are only taxed at 3% so should be better value (vs 30%). Can anyone confirm. Opinions on brand welcome. Looking at a Nissan navara now because you apparently have to buy a crew cab (4 Door)to get an automatic transmission in a toyota or isuzu. MAYBE not on the Navara. My gut reaction is that an automatic will keep my blood pressure down better in Thai traffic and more friendly for my Thai fiance. Normally I would buy a second hand vechile but the high prices I see and the risks involved in getting a problem are moving me toward a new one. Any dealer picks or pans Thanks for any constructive input.

There is a lot of good info in the motor forum if you haven't checked that out yet. We just bought a new Toyota truck a few months ago. In Chiang Rai, the Toyota dealer was (and continues to be) considerably better and more professional then any of the other dealers we dealt with (Isuzu, Ford, and Nissan). Toyota and Isuzu account for somewhere around 95% of the pickup market share, and keep their resale value much more then any other brand.

I definitely would go with nissan. Thay are known as the strongest truck and in my opinion have the best interior. I own a nissan frontier diesel 5speed and love it all my thia friends say it s a very dtrong truck they say izuzu and toyota are soft. My foreigner friends say they are work trucks but they all drive toyotas.

Bought mine basically for the interior if I have to sit in itfor long periods of time I want to like what I see when I am in it.

I bought a Toyota Tiger 3.0 4WD about 4.5 years ago. It was 2.5 years old and had just under 50 000 on the clock.

I paid 350 000 baht plus my old Mazda PU (worht 130-140 000).

It has another 50 000 on the clock and I have had absolutely no problems. It works excellent both on superhighway and out in the shit in 4WD.

:D:):D

We bought a freestyle mazda ute in 2005; have had no problems with it. Hasn't done a lot of k's; the re-sale on these is not great. Toyota holds their price in the used car yard of the dealer.

Depends what you want it for. We went for the freestyle as it had a door and side type door that opens when the front doors are open; like a 4 door at the time. But paid less in tax as it is considered a 2 door.

The new Mazda's and ford's look good, but the prefered utes appear to be Toyota.

The question should be raised that do you really want the best value vehicle or do you want the admiration and respect of your Thai neighbours?

Something like "show me your car

and I tell you who your neighbours are"

Nice car, I like its austerity, it has a no-nonsense design: a rolling understatement thus.

The driver of a car like this will reflect the same character: discrete, low-profile, reliable, solid

and sound, with other words the ideal son-in-law (at least for the thinking part of the nation!).

A complete different situation we find when people want a champagne taste on a beer budget.

That leads us to cars of the type 'look what I have', because (and that is what many of its drivers

don't realize): they tell us at the same time what the driver doesn't have.

Could this be the reason that for instance the Fortuner became so popular in Thailand, not only

among Thai but also among a certain segment of the expat population ? :D :D

Limbo :)

The question should be raised that do you really want the best value vehicle or do you want the admiration and respect of your Thai neighbours?

If so, Isuzu D-Max is the only way to go.

800px-Isuzu_D-Max_(first_generation)_(front),_Serdang.jpg

I agree most Thais will go Isuzu or Toyota because they see it as a best brand, i have a Toyota and more recently a Ford, I find Toyota in CR to be rubbish on aftersales, don't even think of going there without the wife if your not good in Thai.

Ford on the other hand (I have a new Ranger Max ) have a manager who is very proactive and speaks perfect English and the product is first class and does what it says on the tin, but resale wise you will take a knock with Ford unless you plan to stay with them. The question is what you want to do with it, my Ford is a 4 door auto Hi Rider for the better visibilty but has no 4 wheel drive, cant see the point of 4 wheel drive unless you plan on driving across the fields and up mountains etc

Not in Automatic...

Quite a few on the roads + maybe Best Value Vehicle, seen 2 For Sale... 1x 3 months old 368,000 baht, and the other 5 months old 360,000 baht + there are a few For Sale on www.one2car.com

TATA XENON X-TEND CAB HI-TERRAIN DLS 2.2 MT

There is one I see driving about every time I go out, dark blue with a 'Sammitr' steel canopy, looks every smart [quick look you think it is the Ranger]

• 2 weeks later...
cant see the point of 4 wheel drive unless you plan on driving across the fields and up mountains etc

The day when the first rain for the season comes and the oily road be like a skatingrink, then it is good to put in 4WD!

(or stay home might be a better idea!)

:):D:D

This must be one of the more economical vehicles around. I've seen it around on numerous occasions and finally introduced myself to the owner yesterday.

I won't intrude on his privacy but I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning he covered 16,000kms in it last year.

IMG_0951.jpg

I won't intrude on his privacy but I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning he covered 16,000kms in it last year.

Reduced: 50% of original size [ 799 x 599 ] - Click to view full image

Ha, never thought I'd see my "car" here. As for the economy, you ought to see my food bill!!

Hi Jimbo, it was nice to meet you the other day.

I was the guy who spoke to you at Northern Farm. Saw you motoring back along the old Chiang Mai road this week as well.

Call in and see me some time if you're out that way again, the guys in the police box after the 21km post on that road know where I live.

I was the guy who spoke to you at Northern Farm. Saw you motoring back along the old Chiang Mai road this week as well.

Call in and see me some time if you're out that way again, the guys in the police box after the 21km post on that road know where I live.

Scea, could that be the same police box that has my name in lights ?

Scea, could that be the same police box that has my name in lights ?

Not sure Bob, can't say I've ever taken any notice.

They're a friendly crew there though, never mind too much if you wake them up.