Internet Ordering - Refusal

penhelog

Hello!

I am trying to order items from the internet - both from reputable sites - Waterstones UK bookshop for ebooks and also Skype for wireless headphones to use with Skype.

I am from the UK. My bank know exactly where I am. There are no problems with my credit cards. Everytime I try to make a purchase, the payment is refused.

I have spoken to my bank who say NO requests for payments have been received by them.

Can anyone help??

Oh, and does anyone know where I can buy wireless headphones with a microphone to use with Skype - I cannot find any anywhere at the moment - yes I can find wi-fi headphones but only for listening and with no microphone.

Would appreciate any help/advice on these issues.

To use with my Skype I just bought Logitech headphones with mike in Chiangmai from IT City in Central Airport Plaza.

IT City have stores in Bangkok and Pattaya also.

Edited by cnx355

I've had a couple of similar problems in the past. Never really got to the bottom of it, but suspect it was my internet connection cutting out midway in the transaction, meaning the whole package of data from name/address/delivery details/credit card number etc etc got corrupted. Perseverence paid off in the end.

As for headphones, Tescos do a Logitech set with mic, but not wireless I am afraid. They have a pretty long cable tho'! :)

Hello!

I am trying to order items from the internet - both from reputable sites - Waterstones UK bookshop for ebooks and also Skype for wireless headphones to use with Skype.

I am from the UK. My bank know exactly where I am. There are no problems with my credit cards. Everytime I try to make a purchase, the payment is refused.

Make sure that the address you give is the same one that it is registered with in the UK. I made this mistake and had the same problem.

Hi,

THe problem isnt with internet connection or anything connected with your credit cards, the problem is that you are trying to purchase goods from the internet with a Thai IP address but with a UK based credit card. Most companies these days block transactions where the transaction is from another country than that of the card issuer. This is supposed to be a method of cutting down on fraudulent orders but can be easily got around. Next time you want to order, simply use a UK proxy and as long as your credit cards are valid and have enough balance then the order will go through without problem.

Also, make sure that your billing address is exactly the same as your bank statements as again, most companies on line now use AVS - Address Verification System and if the address isnt exactly the same as that on the statement it also wont go through.

Hope it helps,

Falcon

Hello!

Make sure that the address you give is the same one that it is registered with in the UK. I made this mistake and had the same problem.

Hello!

I have experienced this problem before.

When you make an order online the IP address number flags up and if from a country with a bad credit card fraud rating, such as Thailand, it causes your payment to be automatically refused.

This does not have any bearing on your credit card itself, only where you are ordering from.

Last year in Malaysia I bought a ticket on MAS online for a local flight, about 1 month in advance.

I showed up at the airport and checked in. No problems.

At the gate I showed my bordering pass to the clerk, who silently passed it to the guy standing next to her, and suddenly on my side of the counter was three MAS guys in uniforms and an armed security guard. I had to show my passport and the credit card I used to buy the ticket. They said it was suspicious that I used a US credit card when buying a ticket via a Malaysian IP address. No fuss after it was all cleared up, but never had that problem with Air Asia or other airlines. The stupid thing about it was they didn't check with the bank -- I had already paid the bill on the charge.

The stupid thing about it was they didn't check with the bank -- I had already paid the bill on the charge.

Slightly OT. That's not stupid, it's impossible, a bank simple won't release that information and in most systems it wont be visible to merchant side of operations. It doesnt matter weather you've paid the bill or not, its doesnt affect one's ability to chargeback or in consumer terms 'dispute the charge'

I use to have similar problems and I resolved it by using a vpn based in the states since that is where I am originally from. You can go online and purchase it from several companies. I have been using Bananavpn which I pay about $25/mo. It is suppose to give a US IP address.

Maybe a moderator can check that for me and verify that it shows I am sending this from a US IP Address as I am actually in Saudi Arabia.

The address was one issue which was already raised. Then the other problem I had was using a credit cards from banks outside of the US. Many websites do not allow you to put an address outside the US. I get around that by puting a fake address for may bank and it has always worked althoug it should not. I used the real address I just add a state and zip code from my old home town.

Many times buying low priced tickets from overseas you have to have the ticket mailed to a US address then have it forwarded overseas by courier.

Those are similar issues I had.

Hello to all you kind people trying to help me!!

I would think now that it is the problem with the IP address!! Bank know where I am etc., no problems with cards and the bank is not even receiving requests for payment.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions for idiots - how do I go through a UK IP address??

And sorry it has taken me ages to actually find your replies and say thank you. Still getting used to using this site.

Penhelog :)

Hi,

THe problem isnt with internet connection or anything connected with your credit cards, the problem is that you are trying to purchase goods from the internet with a Thai IP address but with a UK based credit card. Most companies these days block transactions where the transaction is from another country than that of the card issuer. This is supposed to be a method of cutting down on fraudulent orders but can be easily got around. Next time you want to order, simply use a UK proxy and as long as your credit cards are valid and have enough balance then the order will go through without problem.

Also, make sure that your billing address is exactly the same as your bank statements as again, most companies on line now use AVS - Address Verification System and if the address isnt exactly the same as that on the statement it also wont go through.

Hope it helps,

Falcon

Hi Falcon!

Thanks so much for you answer - it would make perfect sense!

Can you give me any ideas how I use a UK proxy?? I am pretty computer illiterate to be honest and have NO idea!!

Cheers.

Penhelog

Hello!

Go to Google and search: VPN with UK IP address. I found many on there. I cannot help you with which ones are reliable or good service.

They are very easy to set up. They will guide you through any type of operating system you are using. It takes about 10 minutes to do. Good luck

could be ordering from Thailand with UK card address..

try putting your uk home address for card and Thai adress for shipping

This should take care of it. I have no problem using my US credit cards from thailand but the billing address has to match the one on your statement.

Hi,

Hope it helps,

Falcon

Hello!

I make internet purchases for sending flowers to Thailand from Afghanistan with a card from the USA. The CC Co's fraud department asks about it, but at least there is a record of a purchase being made.