Thailand Tops List Of Dirtiest Hotels In Asia

george

Thailand tops list of dirtiest hotels in Asia

traveladv.png

SINGAPORE: -- Two hotels in Thailand tops the 2010 edition of TripAdvisor's list of the dirtiest hotels in Asia.

The site lists Phi Pho Don Chukit Resort as the filthiest, and First Hotel Bangkok as a good number eight.

Bad smells, unidentified splatters on walls, bed bugs and and bare wires hanging from light fittings are among the complaints left on travel website Tripadvisor.com about some of the places named on its annual 'Dirtiest Hotels' lists.

The ten dirtiest hotels in Asia, Canada, Europe, France, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States have been named in this year's lists, which were compiled based on reviews from unimpressed travellers.

Phi Phi Don Chukit Resort in Thailand took the dubious honour of being named dirtiest hotel in Asia.

"I don't think I can say anymore than this is the worst place I have ever stayed in my whole entrie [sic] life," one person wrote.

"Cockroaches...smelly.......yuk! Never ever stay here unless...well no...never ever stay here!!!"

Another review was entitled "Ruined our holidays, Disgusting place, terrible service".

Last year's Asia list specified that it also covered the Pacific region though it's not clear whether that is also the case this year.

A number of hotels named in the latest round-up of squalid accommodation have also been singled out in the past.

First Hotel Bangkok was deemed the dirtiest hotel in Asia last year but has dropped to number eight on this year's list.

Two London hotels named among the three worst in the United Kingdom last year - the Cromwell Crown and the Corbigoe Hotel - were again named among the 10 dirtiest in both the UK and Europe.

After the Cromwell topped last year's UK list it was visited by a reviewer from the Times, who concluded that it wasn't just the worst hotel in Britain but possibly "the worst hotel in the world".

However it was surpassed in the filth stakes this year by the Grosvenor Hotel in Blackpool, which was named the dirtiest in Europe.

"The room we stayed in was a minger," read one review from a person who claimed it was the worst hotel they'd stayed in for 20 years.

"Room hadn't been cleaned for ages, curtains / sheets were scruffy, tv didn't work, shower was covered in mould and ceiling tiles were collapsing," it continued.

The Grosvenor's proprietor, Chirag Khajuria, told local news website The Gazette he felt the reviews left on Tripadvisor were "unfair".

TripAdvisor.com are an operating company of Expedia, Inc. and listed on the Nasdaq Exchange (NASDAQ: EXPE).

Here is the complete list: http://www.tripadvisor.com/DirtyHotels-g2

-- thaivisa.com, Agencies 2010-01-28

Now you've seen the worst. Now see the best hotels:

Thailand Hotels, online bookings

http://hotels.thaivisa.com

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

usually thai hotels are the best in terms of pricing, services and cleanness compare to the hotels in the US and UK. with these price range, it is impossible to stay in any hotel in the western world.

this is a confusing article and it has nothing to do with other hotels in Thailand.

Interesting I read a similar report this week that covered Europe where eight out of the ten worst hotels were in the UK, must see if I can't find it again and post it here, the hotel that was unanimously declared the worst sounded far worse than anything I've ever seen in Thailand!

Thailand has the best hotels of anywhere i have stayed in the world. The service and the cleanliness. I haven't found anywhere that is better value.

There is a lot to moan about in Thailand but the hotels are definitely a high point.

Lets also not forget that a lot of people come to Thailand compared to most other Asian countries. So this would increase the amount of feedback about Thai hotels. A lot of these are the sort of budget travelers that are partaking in these online feedback forums. There are always going to be some dodgy hotels but a large percentage are really nice.

During promotions you can stay in 4 and 5 star hotels for 50 - 100 quid and they are outstanding. Anything under 100 in London is scary.

I work and travel to HK and China every month and can tell you that Thailand hotels are much much better.

If you join starwood, accord the deals are great.

Shereton in Krabi

Sofitel Krabi

These are among my favorites. Normally 5,000 but during promotions around 2,000

If you get a Thai credit card you can accumulate points towards nice hotels easily.

I've lived in Thailand 8 years full time and they simply have the best hotels in the world.

Edited by Pui

Interesting I read a similar report this week that covered Europe where eight out of the ten worst hotels were in the UK, must see if I can't find it again and post it here, the hotel that was unanimously declared the worst sounded far worse than anything I've ever seen in Thailand!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/DirtyHotels-g4 love the review: "Arrived....Paid....Left...Relived" :)

I have traveled a lot around the world and lived in 5 different countries - I choose to NOT be a 5 star hotel person since when I travel, I am mostly OUT of the hotel room (won't be using the conference rooms or the hotel restaurants...) ; thus in Asia, I tend to stay in the "3" star category. I would say that Thailand can be proud of its economic value for its clean, safe hotels. And there is no way the "average" hotel in the States can even match the good service and cleanliness the hotels can in Thailand. One bad apple does not represent the hotel industry in Thailand. Yes, the article on this website is confusing.

usually thai hotels are the best in terms of pricing, services and cleanness compare to the hotels in the US and UK. with these price range, it is impossible to stay in any hotel in the western world.

this is a confusing article and it has nothing to do with other hotels in Thailand.

Exactly - You can't even stay in a hotel in the USA.

If you can afford to stay in a hotel

in USA then your making enough money to rent or buy a used motorhome.

I don't see the famous 300 baht rooms in

Thailand much any more but you can probably still

find them in rural towns. Comparing a few run down hotels

in all of Thailand compared to 1000's and 1000's of

all the hotels makes no sense. The article is a waist of time.

Price is all that matters and you can look and see the joint when you

first walk in and then turn around and walk out.

If you look at Thai prices on average, THB 2.300 per night, is not cheap for a basic room. I have rented rooms in Phuket, almost new, nice and clean for 1.000-1.500 THB, with breakfast.

You can not compare with European prices. Do you think Thais have European wages? 

Edited by bellste

Dah :) : 1. Not true 2. Not true 3. Is very possible 4. Pretty much every wannabe-hotel guest house here has something to do.

I can only say that I have had only good hotel experiences in Thailand. Clearly the reviewers forgot about China, where a 4 star hotel is the equivalent of a one star Thai hotel. The star rating in China is controlled by the Government and has no relationship with the one we all know and understand.

Exactly - You can't even stay in a hotel in the USA.

If you can afford to stay in a hotel

in USA then your making enough money to rent or buy a used motorhome.

That is a strange comment. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels in the USA, and elsewhere around the world. Like anywhere (other than maybe Burma or Bangladesh) there are good hotels and bad hotels. Try finding a decent priced hotel in Paris...or London...you can forget Moscow or Tokyo. Crazy expensive. But, if you can stay at one, and I have, they are some awesome hotels.

A motorhome makes no sense. What good will it do you in downtown NYC? Or San Fransisco? Or any major city. I owned a 40' monster (cost 150K USD and was 5 years old). 8 MPG and a crazy hard time to drive. Sure nice once it was parked though! :)

This kind of ranking is useless and insignificant except for its entertainment value. There is no basis on which to compare the hotels. Everyone could easily compare the best hotel of, say, Tadjikistan with the worst hotel anywhere. If they had compared standardised hotels such as Hilton, Hyatt, Accor Group etc. it would make some sense - "worst Novotel in the World" etc. - but this is nothing except a quick laugh and forgotten within moments.

The UK hotels report a few days back - my guess is that a lot of the reviews came from domestic UK travelers perhaps?

No standard checklist, no standard hotel categories, no standard test methods and evaluation - all rubbish.

I always say, "They all look the same when I shut my eyes."

That said, I recently stayed a hotel in changmai called S.P. (chaingmaisphotel.com) While it was tucked away from everything, it was a bargain for 400 Baht a night and it was clean enough, working AC & hot water etc etc. Very quite too.... trouble was, it sure was a bit far from the action...

regardless, I will stay there again.

I'm sorry what is going on here? The report does not state that the hotels in Thailand are this or that! It simply states that the hotels in question were voted or commented on by visitors to these specific hotels.

As for the comment "A lot of these are the sort of budget travelers that are partaking in these online feedback forums". What the heck does that mean? Pompous oaf! All travellers have equal rights to complain of bad service. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and you can find good and bad at all price levels.

My family is about to head back to Australia after spending 7 weeks here at our Moo Baan home and travelling around a little with the in-laws. The hotels we've stayed in (Bangkok and Chiangmai) have been clean enough ....though we have paid more than we would for the same standard of room in Australia. We used to stay in good, clean, Thai/Chinese hotels when we were here full time but decided to spend the extra for a handful of stars (holidays sake). You get what you pay for in many cases yet my wife and thai family reckon the prices to be waaaay over the top given the cost of salaries, inclusions under the tariff, etc in their country..... I tend to agree with them. Next time we will give the farang style accomodations a miss, stay Thai style and add a verandah off the bedroom at home. :)

I use Tripadvisor a lot, and I think that you are parhaps missing their point. This is not aimed at any country per se but is in reality a marketing exercise in the same way as their lists for "Most Romantic", "Best Beach Holiday Hotels" etc. It's simply to get column inches in the press (and clearly worked) and to get people to visit the site. By the way I live near IGI and the Indian hotel (Centaur) that made the list is truly dreadful - I always feel you risk an infection just driving by.