German Tourist Stabbed To Death In Phuket

george

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I think the stabbing was unnecessary the man clearly provoked the boys, middle finger and probably swearing in English. This is seriously a big NO NO!!! I really wonder why farang can be some dumb sometimes. Around the world can get a good bashing for it? [/color]They are not familiar with western road rules and why should they? Probably borrow their mothers or gay brothers' bike just to chill with some friends.

When someone Honk their horn at me I get very angry but hold my breath and try to relax but it would satisfy me to go and pull them out of the car,

You should never lose your temper in Thailand or expect the worst!!

Not familiar with western road rules?? (Like driving on your own side of the road.) And why should they?? Is this a serious post?

Perhaps if people actually needed a license to drive here and driving infractions were punished idiots like this would be off the road :)

it is not smart to give people the finger on the road but it is also not a reason to kill someone. This country has death penalty and this is a case where it would be definitely justified, in my opinion. As for the guy with the semi-literate response claiming that the guy got what he deserved from the "boys", either this is a troll posting or someone who is not in a position to ever judge anything that anyone else does as stupid.

it is not smart to give people the finger on the road but it is also not a reason to kill someone. This country has death penalty and this is a case where it would be definitely justified, in my opinion. As for the guy with the semi-literate response claiming that the guy got what he deserved from the "boys", either this is a troll posting or someone who is not in a position to ever judge anything that anyone else does as stupid.

There needs to be a clear warning in every tourist guide book and web site about Thailand:

You cannot expect a "fair" fight in Thailand. Usual civilised rules about reasonable force will not apply. You must assume a disproportionate reaction. You cannot expect support or help from the police or bystanders. Do not enter into any argument at any level with any Thai male. You should always roll over and/or pay up and/or run away to be safe.

Although I think the stabbing was unnecessary the man clearly provoked the boys, middle finger and probably swearing in English. This is seriously a big NO NO!!! I really wonder why farang can be some dumb sometimes. Around the world can get a good bashing for it? [/color]They are not familiar with western road rules and why should they? Probably borrow their mothers or gay brothers' bike just to chill with some friends.

When someone Honk their horn at me I get very angry but hold my breath and try to relax but it would satisfy me to go and pull them out of the car,

Thanks a lot for your words…..Never lose your temper, bite your tongue. When you see an accident please don’t stop even if you’re a doctor.

An example: What would you think if a lot of rich Thais would be in your country and you’re poor?

And those Thais in your country are showing you the Middle one, or might say something.

It happened about eight years ago in Ubon Ratchatani that young boys threw stones and crashed some windshields, those who stopped got killed by some older boys. They took the cash and the car and sold it in Laos. LOS? Unfortunately in the night, so it was not against foreigners especially.

For those who’re new here please stay calm, some young boys with some alcohol in their blood can be more than dangerous.

post-39518-1264725872_thumb.jpg

How convenient that these mild-mannered Thai people just happened to be carrying knives when they were provoked by a farang.

Just another reminder that many Thais are very brittle people who can throw a manically violent tantrum if they feel their precious sense of face has been outraged.

My condolences to friends and family of this German man.

Two things are needed:

1) Capture, trial and sentencing according to the law

2) Publicity, so that Western visitors know what to expect when visiting Phuket, or even Thailand in general.

Is it just me or does Phuket seem to have an over abundance of violence/disdain/anger towards foreigners. I'm supposed to accompany the Thai partner down next month for a couple of days, but I'm honestly having second thoughts. Seems it is open season on all foreigners there with no repercussions. :)

Thais are doing the same thing with their own folks. Showing a Middle finger or some nasty words is enough to get killed.

What a load of bullsh*t. Good to see there are still wimps around....

You might be in the news soon, man....................

What a load of bullsh*t. Good to see there are still wimps around....

I would never and I say never expect an altercation with one person to not turn into a group wielding weapons.

I remember a few years ago a massive Swedish body builder having a beer in my local pub. He was a lilttle drunk and loud and flirting with the waitresses, but not in too bad a manner. One of the waitresses' boyfriends came to pick her up, saw this farang and a brief discussion ensued in Thai along the lines of "Stop flirting with my girlfriend", to which the farang really didn't do too much more than shrug his shoulders.

I thought to myself as the Thai guy drove off with his girlfriend in tow, that that may have been a lucky escape.

15 minutes later, at least 10 youths with sticks returned demanding to see the farang. They were livid. To cut a long story short, the owner of the bar locked this guy in the loo, and demanded that these kids get out of there before she called the police.

Now, it may have been to scare the guy, it may have been all a bluff. But one of the most important things to remember in Thailand about this type of thing, is that firstly a Thai never forgets to bring a knife or gun to a fist fight. Secondly, a Thai never forgets to bring 10 of his mates with him. Part of the problem is that once it becomes a group fight, the Thai's egg each other on and cannot back down because of face. They must have their retribution.

What a load of Crap.... not familiar with western road rules. There are rules here to, it is just that they refuse to obey them. You speak of being "dumb," I'd say you sir are a fine example.

You would need the patience of a saint at times not to be annoyed at some of the stupid <deleted> who propel their vehicles with complete disregard for everyone. :)

Travel advisory's should be urgently updated. Of course it could happen in several other places in the land of Thugs, but another reason to STAY AWAY FROM PHUKET.

God rest the poor mans soul.

Not to sound harsh given the circumstances, but forgetting your in someone elses home turf for starters and then taking on 3 teenage boys who think nothing of driving recklessly, is not very smart. I'm sure it was a knee jerk reaction, but to follow it up with an argument in Thailand with these kids as a 66 year old farang...like I said...

'Someone elses turf'.. The vast majority of Thais on Phuket are not locals, many of them are transient and new arrivals trying to get rich quick from farangs and then arrive to discover the streets are not paved with gold (especially for the guys) feeding resentment against the percieved wealthy farangs.

As to how they drive and him being 66 years old.. If it was a 66 year old Thai, it would have not have happened and apologetic wais to the Thai who was obviously more 'yai' than them.. As it was a farang the attitude is reversed.

Drove by there this morning around 9:30.

There was about 15-20 policeman holding up traffic and it seemed like they were reenacting the crime.

They even had what looked like the same pickup truck blocking the one lane (I came through there when the ambulance pulled out the night of the crime)

I was thinking that they were going to compare shots from the cc tv cameras after todays reenactment.

The traffic circle was completely locked up because no one was allowed through Vichit road while this was happening this morning.

Sad occurance for sure RIP.

I believe it could happen to any of us farangs here. (except perhaps the professional driver who posted that he NEVER acknowledges road rage in any way)

His was the best post i've seen about the possible solution to a predicament we could all easily be involved in.

There needs to be a clear warning in every tourist guide book and web site about Thailand:

You cannot expect a "fair" fight in Thailand. Usual civilised rules about reasonable force will not apply. You must assume a disproportionate reaction. You cannot expect support or help from the police or bystanders. Do not enter into any argument at any level with any Thai male. You should always roll over and/or pay up and/or run away to be safe.

Or only fight when you know you are going to win! Pick your fights carefully but dont be pussies remember you are twice these peoples sizes. Before the old cronies say oh they dont fight the same as back home you dont know what you are talking about etc etc I have lived here for 10 years and although peace loving have won all 3 of my fights with 'Thai boys.'

As sad and terrible as it is there is a lesson there for those who want to survive driving in Thailand.

Keep your cool no matter how infuriating the situation might be and never ever allow a motor cycle with a couple of guys on board to stop you - crash their bike if you have to and head for safety somewhere and don't under any circumstances if you are forced to stop get out of your vehicle even if you do have a baseball bat or similar under the seat - that's your last resort when you life is in danger.

Or only fight when you know you are going to win! Pick your fights carefully but dont be pussies remember you are twice these peoples sizes. Before the old cronies say oh they dont fight the same as back home you dont know what you are talking about etc etc I have lived here for 10 years and although peace loving have won all 3 of my fights with 'Thai boys.'

A real man. And modest too.

This is a lawless country trust me. There may be laws on the books but when you can pay a small fine on the spot or pay off the BIB and walk. Laws are not enforced, only two on a motorcycle - I see three or four everyday and the police do nothing. Drive on the wrong side of the road into traffic I see police doing this everyday. Carry children in the back of a pickup everyday and overloaded nothing said or done. Let a few more of them roll over and kill some more young lives and maybe one or two officers will think about stopping vehicles for a couple of days. If the BIB do not enforce the laws of the road then they in fact do not have laws of the road and the Thais drive as they please. Most don't even know the bare minimum of road rules as they have just paid for their driving licenses if they have one at all. My Brother in law has never had a motorcycle license. but he drives everyday and he is 68 years old.

Sorry for the rant and rave but this pisses me off.

Seems that you're living in the wrong country.

The victim was 66 and there were three Thai teenagers. I wonder if the victim had been 86 and walking on two canes. would the Thais still murder him for offending them? Would no (Thai) bystanders step in to protect an ederly person?

Shameful behaviour by some low lifes in Phuket. Unfortunately I don't see these types of cowardly and disgraceful attacks stopping.

THere seems to be a lot of stories coming out of Phuket lately and most of them are very negative.

Phuket is starting to make Pattaya look good with these kind of stories.

The whole thing is very scary. We should all be jai yen yen all the time but life doesn't work like that. Sometimes you get annoyed or angry and it comes out.

Getting murdered for expressing a bit of anger is a heavy price to pay.

No other country has the amount of tourists murdered, raped, robbed,scammed etc per capita as Thailand.

Says it all really.