Metered Taxis Come To Isaan, Why Not Pattaya?

Jingthing

Over the years whenever I bring up the farce that are Pattaya taxi no meter meter taxis, the usual refrain is, this isn't Bangkok, mate, deal with it.

Is Isaan Bangkok then?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3266569

What's the new excuse?

I stopped even TRYING to get the local taxis to use the meters. I don't go near them, the current service is useless to me and I won't support this phony system of fake meter cars.

For those that have used the cars, what are your recent experiences?

Because Pattaya is nitnoy, and they not make a lot of baht by the meter , so they do the tried and tested embezzlement method, :)

That's silly. The geographical area is HUGE especially when you include the dark side, Naklua, Jomtien, Na Jomtien, etc.

Still only small when compared with other big city's. You can get from one side to the other very quickly if you want to, Taxi do not want that they want the meter to mount up,Also its a fixed rate , they cannot realy haggle or rip off unsuspected, not in the know tourists, In other words be fair and honest, Just like they are at the Airports.

Never had a problem with them

Tell the driver where you are going.

Get in the Taxi

State clearly ' Use the meter'

And they use the meter all the times I use them.

I think you must be referring to Bangkok and definitely NOT Pattaya, which is what the thread refers to.

I really hope that the metered taxi operation works in Khon Kaen. Let's not forget it is a new service and the local Mafia may be putting a plan together to force the metered taxis to behave like they do in Pattaya. Let's hope not.

On the other hand, maybe KK city's government has enough balls to make sure the Mafia doesn't take over the operation. It is always a plus to live where one can get a metered cab nearby at a reasonable cost.

I don't think I am alone when I say if Pattaya had metered taxis like BKK, I would seldom drive myself anywhere and would use them often. Especially if you could call them for a pick-up at your home for 30B extra like they plan to do in KK.

I wish them well up there in Khon Kaen.

We do have metered taxis in Pattaya however the drivers refuse to use the meters. I know a tourist. loaded up with shopping, who was charged 350 baht to travel from The Avenue to Jomtien.

Right. So in effect we do NOT have taxi meters here. The cars do (or did) have actual meters in them. Given as they aren't used I wonder if they are just rotting or perhaps they sold them out to Bangkok taxis that actually have a need for them. Or maybe they never were real, just cosmetic dead things, and were like those fake cell phones really poor people carry to give the impression they own a cell phone.

Edited by Jingthing

Again BS. It is VERY HARD to get around Pattaya easily to many places OFF the baht bus routes. Try to get from outer Jomtien to Bangkok Pattaya hospital using baht buses and then tell how easy and efficient it is.

I have never used a meter taxi in Pattaya. Are they cheaper than hire baht bus? Jomtien to Bangkok Pattaya hospital low season 100 baht. High season 150 baht. Regular baht bus Jomtien to circle north Pattaya 20 baht. Circle to Sukemvit 10 baht. Circle to Hospital motor bike 50 baht. I think transportation in Pattaya is excellent.

Again BS. It is VERY HARD to get around Pattaya easily to many places OFF the baht bus routes. Try to get from outer Jomtien to Bangkok Pattaya hospital using baht buses and then tell how easy and efficient it is.

I have never used a meter taxi in Pattaya. Are they cheaper than hire baht bus? Jomtien to Bangkok Pattaya hospital low season 100 baht. High season 150 baht. Regular baht bus Jomtien to circle north Pattaya 20 baht. Circle to Sukemvit 10 baht. Circle to Hospital motor bike 50 baht. I think transportation in Pattaya is excellent.

The baht bus is open air. I did one the other day from Pattaya to Jomtien...had to take a shower afterwards (unless it is raining and then it is already taken care of). I miss the availability of metered taxis like in BKK. Like mentioned above, I would use them all the time around here if they were like those in BKK. But sounds like they are not. I think the tourism authority should be ashamed of themselves for making tourists ride in the back of those things. It is ok for some, but not for everybody. Getting metered taxis and a real bus system would get rid of all those empty baht busses that just cruise up and down Beach Rd and 2nd Rd...a real improvement.

Metered taxi's are a joke here in Pattaya

Just look at all of them standing on Second Road in front of The Avenues, they are there, but try and get one to take you anywhere

Minimum fare quoted to the Pattaya Bus Terminal on Pattaya Nua is 350 Baht, when you can flag down a baht bus at the same place and negotiate a 150 Baht fare to the same destination

They are only there to show the Mayor that metered taxi's in Pattaya won't work and I am sure they are receiving a substantial " subsidy" from the Baht Bus Mafia

[<snip>. Getting metered taxis and a real bus system would get rid of all those empty baht busses that just cruise up and down Beach Rd and 2nd Rd...a real improvement.

Pattaya did have a bus system, the bus stops can still be found, but the Baht Bus Mafia hassled the drivers and blocked the buses on the routes so that was all quietly swept under the carpet.

And it's the Baht Bus Mafia that operate the metered taxi service so that's never going to be effective until we get a mayor that's not got a hand out for his cut.

From time to time when I'm feeling spitefull, I'll agree on a taxi out in front of the Avenue. I bring with me a bag of dog poo and while I'm in the back, open it and spread it around, into every nook and cranny.

OK, not really, but that's what's been on my mind.

Also thought about letting a snake loose in the back as I get out, along with a bag of 1000s of fire ants.

Just day dreaming though. Don't pay any attention to me.

On second thought, maybe a bag full of skakes. 10 of them. The look on that drivers face would be worth the 200 baht I had to pay him for the ride from The Avenue to Soi 7. :)