No More Cheating At Petrol Stations

webfact

I do believe we will now be seeing a lot of PURPLE fuel now....as it goes without saying when you mix yellow and blue.

Forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, but in case I'm not, I believe you meant to say that when you mix yellow and blue you get GREEN.

Mixing the red diesel with the blue 95 octane would get you purple, but it probably wouldn't be good for your car.

I do believe we will now be seeing a lot of PURPLE fuel now....as it goes without saying when you mix yellow and blue.

Forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, but in case I'm not, I believe you meant to say that when you mix yellow and blue you get GREEN.

Mixing the red diesel with the blue 95 octane would get you purple, but it probably wouldn't be good for your car.

It depends on the mixture and the temperature outside, then it even can work with the car.

that is a good idea if they are implementing those glass balls into the pumps to have an option to look what they are putting in.

other than that it would have no effect on fraud

The original reason for those glass domes was so you could see that it was only fuel you were paying for, not a lot of air travelling along (but counting towards your purchase).

"Consumers will now know if they are cheated"

How many people in Thailand actually get out their cars to check what is being put in ???....what you going to do demand a "p*ss test" of the pump before they put the fuel in

I have never been outside my car, so yes, stupid.

Agricultural diesel is dyed red in the UK because it is taxed at a different rate i.e. subsidised and if you run a car on it on the public highways you are breaking one of the UK's really bad R.T.A. & Exchequer sins. Your car WILL be impounded plus a fine will be levied. Stuff this WWII crap. It happens today!

Hi,

Can you help me to undertand why 95 gasoline is sold around 30 thb and another one around 40 thb ? (gasohol and ?)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Gasoline-gas...63#entry3301363

Thanks.

You sure your not comparing 95 gasohol and 95 regular..

95 regular is hard to get here (shell for me) and isnt cheap.. When everyone complains about western fuels they seem to omit that the like for like comparison is much closer, its only when you trade to the low octane stuff its cheap.

95 gasoline (as opposed to gasohol) is marketed under the name of "V-power" at Shell. Easy to get.

Coming from the UK originally I find it hilarious that road legal diesel will be died red!

Actually during WWII in the UK they used to dye agricultural diesel as well, something to do with rationing and if you were caught with red diesel in your car, you had bought illegally.....so may be not so hilarious.. :)

As far as I know it still is.

Basically it's a tax concession for agricultural use (and boats?) plus it's used as heating fuel (known as gas oil) and some other approved uses. You have to be a VAT registered farmer to buy it officially, but it's not difficult to obtain, especially if your central heating system happens to run on gas oil or if you have a farmer friend.. You can also run on a mix of Red and Kerosene and even pure kerosene (it's white) if you're brave (runs a bit hot but very clean). Haulage companies were/are huge users of it.

Of course, it has an awful lot of other uses. Where I came from in Lincolnshire, almost nobody used anything else, whether it was for the JCB or the Land Rover or the Discovery, Shogun, Trooper, Mercedes, Audi A4, Corsa CDi or anything else that ran on diesel.

There were/are of course heavy penalties, including fines and confiscation of vehicles, but none of this deters rural folk. There was talk of it being of a lesser quality, which would cause your turb to explode. They said it left a stain in your tank which would be detectable for years. Yada yada yada.

They spoke of stopping it and making farmers claim back the tax, but last I heard it was still the same. My memory is fading, but I seem to recall that Red was still only about 20+p as Legal headed for 90+p, so it was pretty irresistable.

They busted a big operation at one time where they were reprocessing Red to remove the colour and then selling it as White at a discount, though it still left some chemical deposit - they said.

So now I'm looking for blue colour for my m/bike am I? I never worked out what the red and yellow were in the bottles anyway.

Coming from the UK originally I find it hilarious that road legal diesel will be died red!

And in any case (particularly in Thailand) how is a fuel die going to give me any confidence that fuel is not just some bogus fuel with some colouring in it?!?!?

Disclosure : I don't think I've ever been ripped of for fuel in Thailand anyway. What is this all about!???!

Actually during WWII in the UK they used to dye agricultural diesel as well, something to do with rationing and if you were caught with red diesel in your car, you had bought illegally.....so may be not so hilarious.. :)

Not sure about UK. In US, Agriculture fuels are dyed because they are not taxed at the same rate as road fuels. It is illegal to use agriculture fuels on the road.

How do you get the green red or yellow off of the pistons?

can the crankshaft get cancer?

:D

VERY SIMPLE!

To remove the colours, simply p*ss on thr pistons.

crankshaft will get cranky, will get cancer like concrete.

:)

I went to a PTT station a few days ago and asked for 30 Bt worth of 91 for my motorcycle. The attendant refused, saying that I must buy 40 Bt worth. Is there a law/rule/regulation/promotion/program that says you must buy a minimum of 40 Bt worth of gasoline/petrol now? Will dealing with cheating/surly pump attendants also be part of the new 'coloring' program?

Another useless crackdown and easily circumnavigated! If the Thai government actually funneled the money they waste in useless crackdowns into beneficial programs Thailand may once again become the leading Nation in SE Asia. As it is now they are trying to out under perform Burma. What is next a name and capital change? 

BANGKOK: -- From February 1, fuel products will be available in different colours, to prevent illegal mixture. Initially, octane-91 petrol will become yellow, octane-95 petrol blue, diesel B5 red. The colouring of all products will be completed in a few months

Smart color choice. Now all the gas station owner has to do is tell all his employees to piss in the octane-91 petrol tank.

i thought they already did that :)

caf

Well, for Tailand it might be useful to colorize the fuel:

Look at it the German way, just for diesel fuel:

Aral is being coloured blue, according to their advertisements, it contains engine cleaning additves ("..cleanes you engine while you drive.")

Esso or Exxon is being coloured light red, according to their advertisements, it does contain special additives to support valve seat cleaning and less fuel consumption, according to one website up to 2,7%! (a darker red is for only for agricultaral vehicles exempted from tax.)

Shell is coloured light yellow, according to their advertisements, it contains additives which will support the performance of the engine, promising more power, less fuel consumption and more ( Shell V-Power Diesel with consuption reduction formula).

I did work at these filling stations, and it is just a very small bag of highly intensive colour being added to a fuel tanker for every 10.000 Liters of diesel. The diesel fuel being filled into the fuel tankers itself is absolutely the same stuff for every single company.

I think, Thailand with the regulation of colouring various types of gasoline is way ahead of the German solution.

EXACTLY the same in the U.S. I had a good friend that drove fuel tanker trucks. He told me that each oil company would pump fuel into the national pipeline network at their refinery. It's entered into the accounting system. They can take an equal amount out at the regional discharge points where trucks move the fuel to stations. All oil companies chare the same pipes, its all mixed together. Then, when the driver takes on a load, he dumps a bottle of additive into the truck tank. He has a different additice he carries for each brands grade. Thus, Texaco (or Caltex in LOS) w/Techron is just generic gas with the techron dumped in by the driver. Most additives seem to be a lot of marketing. although Techron was supposedly devloped in BMW labs for their valves.

And in any case (particularly in Thailand) how is a fuel die going to give me any confidence that fuel is not just some bogus fuel with some colouring in it?!?!?

Disclosure : I don't think I've ever been ripped of for fuel in Thailand anyway. What is this all about!???!

true in overseas asian countries where US Military base occupation existed post WW2. (I've seen red and blue dyes)

dyed fuel/gasoline for reasons of taxation, tax-free exemptions for military personal use for personal and military vehicles.

this prevented illegal black market sales and proper rationing.

How many people in Thailand actually get out their cars to check what is being put in ???....what you going to do demand a "p*ss test" of the pump before they put the fuel in

I for one always do.

It helps for a number of reasons:

check that they are resetting the pump properly to zero, and not stopping and starting it again,

check to make sure they don't overfill it.

Stretch.

Talk to them and think about how tough their job must be for their measly 6,000 baht a month.

This sometimes gets my tires checked (which will earn them a tip although of course i don't tell them that) , and,

I often (about every 3 fill-ups) check my own oil and as it gets thicker and blacker reminds me that it's time for a change.

Maybe it's something my father always taught me to do but i think it's a good idea to get out of the car at fueling stations.

Another useless crackdown and easily circumnavigated! If the Thai government actually funneled the money they waste in useless crackdowns into beneficial programs Thailand may once again become the leading Nation in SE Asia. As it is now they are trying to out under perform Burma. What is next a name and capital change? 

I see people posting on thai visa all the time complaining that the government doesn't enforce the laws or that the laws are stupid or similar.

Now we have a situation where they are actually trying to do something about one of the scams and posters are bitching about that too.

Maybe we should put you in charge of scams and see how thai visa posts agree with your decisions???

Have a nice day!