Have You Or Any Foreigner You Know Hit A Thai Lottery?

bendejo

I'm curious to hear of any foreigner who won a Thai lottery. If so, did you/they manage to collect the winnings, and if so, was it the full payout?

I've never tried, but anticipate that if I had a winning ticket I would encounter complications collecting because I am a foreigner.

Edited by bendejo

A Farang mate of mine won the lottery and asked his missus what she would do if he ever won the lottery (her not knowing that he already had) She said 'take half the money and leave you'

He said great, I won 100 Baht, here's 50 Baht now f*** off.

If that ain't true then it bluddy well should be. :)

A colleague of mine referred to lotteries the world over as a tax on stupidity. But you alway get the one that says "someone's got to win it", very tru but millions have to lose.

I get really tired of reading some of these snobbish upper hand mentality comments about lotteries being a tax on stupidity and only people who failed their math class are allowed to play.

Look, playing a lottery on a casual basis can be fun, as long as you can afford to do so and you play in the knowledge that you most probably wont win - fifty baht or so is not a huge price to pay for entertainment.

I get really tired of reading some of these snobbish upper hand mentality comments about lotteries being a tax on stupidity and only people who failed their math class are allowed to play.

Look, playing a lottery on a casual basis can be fun, as long as you can afford to do so and you play in the knowledge that you most probably wont win - fifty baht or so is not a huge price to pay for entertainment.

It's sort of like going to Las Vegas and not gambling! Who would do that?

It's sort of like going to Las Vegas and not gambling! Who would do that?

Agreed, but according to some comments thus far it seems that anyone who ever does so is an uneducated idiot and I don't buy that in any shape or form.

50baht for entertainment? what entertainment?

If you call holding a piece of paper in your pocket and check if you won or not, which you knew allready you lost anyway before you ever checked, entertainment I guess I dont need to ask how you fill your weekends?

You need to come out some more and enjoy the nice weather here once in a while.

A few years ago setting at the bar in Nana Hotel the bar tender was talking to her friend and farang, farang kept coming up. I ask her you no like farang and she says oh, no I tell story about farang. I ask her what story. The farang bought a lottery ticket from a employee at hotel and won, 35,000baht the employee had spent the money for ticket and and not turned it in to lottery. No collection of 35,000baht the farang complained to hotel and they fired the employee.

A Farang mate of mine won the lottery and asked his missus what she would do if he ever won the lottery (her not knowing that he already had) She said 'take half the money and leave you'

He said great, I won 100 Baht, here's 50 Baht now f*** off.

If that ain't true then it bluddy well should be. :)

A colleague of mine referred to lotteries the world over as a tax on stupidity. But you alway get the one that says "someone's got to win it", very tru but millions have to lose.

It was a joke actually but I did have a mate that won a load on the lottery and he rushed home and told his missus to pack her bags 'cos he'd won the lottery.

she asked should I pack for the beach or for skiing?

He said I don't care, just pack and f*** off

A few years ago setting at the bar in Nana Hotel the bar tender was talking to her friend and farang, farang kept coming up. I ask her you no like farang and she says oh, no I tell story about farang. I ask her what story. The farang bought a lottery ticket from a employee at hotel and won, 35,000baht the employee had spent the money for ticket and and not turned it in to lottery. No collection of 35,000baht the farang complained to hotel and they fired the employee.

So, the lottery ticket seller at the hotel as dodgy, right? Did that ticket seller collect on the win I wonder...

As always, buyer beware. Pick a reputable ticket seller, is there such a thing??

I do not play myself but my girlfriend does. She has a budget of Bt400 per draw and has won five times in the past 6 months. Winnings vary from Bt26,000 to Bt6,500. I would never think to buy a ticket myself. Like the OP I wouldn't want to through the hassle of collection.

This is just it. Round my way it'll never be 100 baht or so for a bit of a laugh like you and me would. The lady who does my laundry (and whose husband drives a songtaew) spends 3000-4000 baht a month on lottery tickets. About every other month she comes to me with a sheepish look on her face asking for an advance on what I pay her for the laundry. Her husband had a minor knock in his songtaew a few weeks ago and they both came to me asking for a 2000 baht loan to pay the other driver. So it's 3000-4000 baht on lottery tickets but can't scrape together 2000 baht. Somebody's got their priorities screwed I reckon.

Unfortunately the people who can ill afford it the most are the ones who seem to spend the most on tickets.

Edited by mca

What amazed me about the lottery when I first came here was the closer it got to the draw date the more they cost. I have seen sellers asking 140 baht for tickets the day before the draw. Also if you go to some shops you cannot get certain numbers , people have preordered them from the seller.I tried to buy one set of numbers for 3 draws straight in a row the seller always said sorry already gone. So I gave up om those numbers and picked new ones. Acouple of months later it won and when I went by his shop he ran out on the street to show me the winning ticket. A good friend of his won it.