What No Rugby Forum!

well, that time has come when we meet the old enemy once again to battle it out for the Calcutta cup and bragging rights for yet another year.

no doubt the " socks " will save their best performance as usual for this encounter, but with England being at home and pushing for the grand slam and wanting to help the jocks on their way to yet another wooden spoon, i dare say we should come out comfortable winners in the end.

mind you saying that though, for any of you tight fisted lot from north of the border. the bookies are offering a plus 17 mark on the handicap back home if any of are interested and can prize your wallets open long enough to get the money out. wink.gif

England by a margin of 14 points.

We'd love to derail your slam effort....an extra incentive not that one will be necessary. 17 eh? might have a look at that...:D

I know you would smokie but unfortunately you can't field 20 players against us. :lol: :jap:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, that time has come when we meet the old enemy once again to battle it out for the Calcutta cup and bragging rights for yet another year.

no doubt the " socks " will save their best performance as usual for this encounter, but with England being at home and pushing for the grand slam and wanting to help the jocks on their way to yet another wooden spoon, i dare say we should come out comfortable winners in the end.

mind you saying that though, for any of you tight fisted lot from north of the border. the bookies are offering a plus 17 mark on the handicap back home if any of are interested and can prize your wallets open long enough to get the money out. wink.gif

We'd love to derail your slam effort....an extra incentive not that one will be necessary. 17 eh? might have a look at that...:D

I know you would smokie but unfortunately you can't field 20 players against us. :lol: :jap:

"We've nothing to lose!" ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"We've nothing to lose!" ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Awwwwwwwh....not another team with nothing to lose. :whistling::rolleyes:

Without needing to look at the table its win or bust for us....lose today and we'll take the prize nobody wants.

I had such high hopes for this year as well....:(

Why did you have such high hopes?:unsure::lol:

Its official....Italy are now better than Scotland :clap2:

Edited by carmine

Without needing to look at the table its win or bust for us....lose today and we'll take the prize nobody wants.

You lot were spewing the same garbage in 1990 I seem to remember.....:whistling:

Wait till the fat lady sings carmine you're getting way ahead of yourself as usual.

You lot were spewing the same garbage in 1990 I seem to remember.....:whistling:

Wait till the fat lady sings carmine you're getting way ahead of yourself as usual.

How many years ago was that!!!!!!! :lol: Scotland have got the wooden spoon so many times they should be allowed to keep it. ;):lol:

to be honest and totally blunt smokie you will go absolutely nowhere with a coach like Andy Robinson. he wasnt much liked at Bath when he was head of proceedings, even though he was an ex - player of so many years and definitely didn't fit in the England role.

yes, he may bring a bit of stability to the Scottish squad, but that's about it. his style and approach to coaching in the game are sadly way behind the standards of the way the game is played in the modern era these days. if the SRFU has any sense they will get rid of him after the game today and bring in someone preferably with experience of coaching in the southern hemisphere.

worst thing that could happen today for the Scots and i really mean this. is if they were to say hold out for 60 minutes against England, keeping it tight and only just losing in the final quarter of the game.

Edited by tigerfish

to be honest and totally blunt smokie you will go absolutely nowhere with a coach like Andy Robinson. he wasnt much liked at Bath when he was head of proceedings, even though he was an ex - player of so many years and definitely didn't fit in the England role.

yes, he may bring a bit of stability to the Scottish squad, but that's about it. his style and approach to coaching in the game are sadly way behind the standards of the way the game is played in the modern era these days. if the SRFU has any sense they will get rid of him after the game today and bring in someone preferably with experience of coaching in the southern hemisphere.

worst thing that could happen today for the Scots and i really mean this. is if they were to say hold out for 60 minutes against England, keeping it tight and only just losing in the final quarter of the game.

I'm planning to go to the pub and watch Wet Spam instead. But it'll be on in the back bar....and what if the scammers score and I move through the back and your lot score a try??

The curry house don't open 'till five. :(

Its not looking good here.....:ermm::o

We do seem to be running on a treadmill again and I thought we had made progress last year.

New broom needed as you say.

Edited by smokie36

Here's how I see you leetle englanders...my friends one and all.:)

2408507645_6cd4fc29ff_z.jpg?zz=1

you know its funny you should say that smokie. i am sure that's exactly what went through Kelly browns head the second he was brushed aside by all 6 ft 7 and 18 stone of Matt Banahan in the second half. laugh.gif

not a bad performance by you jocks though ! but as predicted 60 or so minutes into the second half and the wheels came off.

BTW, did you get on ? i did tell yer ! wink.gif

Well, that could've been a lot worse; maybe we'll see next week how much worse...

I thought Chris Patterson had a great game...

It was always unlikely that we would beat England twice in one year, so we let's all look forward to New Zealand.

SC

EDIT: Just had a look at the match stats on the BBC Web Site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/9423780.stm

The statistician seems to have been watching a much more evenly balanced game than the one I saw last night...

Edited by StreetCowboy

just over 6 months to go till the RWC, just wondered what were your thoughts on how the Nth Hem. teams would rate;

TBH I havent seen any 6 Nations apart from the odd headline on telly, but England could be a contender this year, with Wales in with a chance in the RWC.

Down under, the Super 15 is away and running and a few stand out players not in the AB mix have put their hand up. Most notibly, Robbie Fruean a young strapping lad of 109 kgs that plays in the centers with Sonny Bill Williams. If you havent heard of this guy yet, you soon will at the RWC imo, the selectors are mad if they overlook him again!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKP_kKYOiPM&feature=related

he has some speed as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id3TAO1G_4w

Edited by Donnyboy

just over 6 months to go till the RWC, just wondered what were your thoughts on how the Nth Hem. teams would rate;

TBH I havent seen any 6 Nations apart from the odd headline on telly, but England could be a contender this year, with Wales in with a chance in the RWC.

Down under, the Super 15 is away and running and a few stand out players not in the AB mix have put their hand up. Most notibly, Robbie Fruean a young strapping lad of 109 kgs that plays in the centers with Sonny Bill Williams. If you havent heard of this guy yet, you soon will at the RWC imo, the selectors are mad if they overlook him again!!!...

he has some speed as well

Good to hear from you again, I hope that you are safe and well.

Looking forward to the World Cup - don't know what the TV coverage options will be here

SC

EDIT: Reduced size of quote

Edited by StreetCowboy

glad to here you are all o.k. down there in N.Z. Donnyboy, missed your input around these parts the last few months or so !

as regard to the question about how well the northern hemisphere teams will do in this years world cup, i think its a no brainer. England look a stronger outfit, but can only see them being undone by any one of the 3 southern hemisphere sides. the French side seem to be all sorts of disarray with their head coach coming out and slagging them off for their performance last week against the Italians and to be honest the Welsh, Scots and Irish seem to have lost their way some what.

hate to say it mate and i don't want to put a bad luck hex on your boys, but it looks like its theirs to loose again.

BTW where do you keep finding these lads ? is Robbie Freuan a union boy through and through or has he got some league background ?

spoke too soon on the Irish TF, what happened?

Frueans another of Samoan heritage and not a league boy afaik, hes just a big strong lad that runs fast and straight, with great timing, just the sort we need pairing with SBW and his offloading abilities

Robbie Fruean is a Wellington boy - Porirua College, no league he was in the NZ under 19s rugby team (they won) and was international u-19 player of the year.

Played for Wellington and Hurricanes, don't know how he got stolen/picked up by Canterbury/Crusaders.

Re Samoan heritage, for sure, but further back, at a wild guess Fruean the name has Germanic origins - Samoa was once a German territory they left in WWI.

A lot of people thought he'd be picked for last year's November tour to NH, but no room midfield as they gave SBW a chance

I watched the televised Super Rugby game between Crusaders and Sharks at Twickenham on Sunday, straight after watching and Aviva Premiership game between Northampton and Wasps, and it reminded me how different the game is between the NH and SH. (Personally, I prefer the NH but that's just a matter of opinion).

Come the RWC, it could be quite interesting: looking at the groups, I can see a NZ vs England final (I know plenty of Aussies, Jaapies and French will disagree, but it's only an opinion). I can see NZ looking to play a SR type of game, with great running lines, quick hands and happy feet, but I can see England playing an all-round game and winning the mental battle, primarily by not trying to play NZ at their own game, but forcing them to play in the NH way.

If NZ can dominate the breakdown and use the pressure (from public and press) positively, I see them winning, but otherwise, I see another WC win for England.

Any thoughts?

money . . . money

in the last week there was a news item re Australian RU having to cut back on contracted players to save $; the NZ RFU faces a $10m deficit this year and numerous NZ provincial unions are 'in the red', or in Southland's case 'in the red red' they owe so much . . . Carter would be crazy not to take one of these northern offers he can earn in three years more than what would take him an injury-free career of matches in NZ

Note re article - the NZ $ conversion is $6.6 million

French club offers Dan Carter $4.8 million

Saturday 2 April 2011

All Blacks and Crusaders star fly-half Dan Carter has been offered an astounding 4.8 million dollars to move to France next year.

The offer is reported to have come from French Top 14 club Racing Metro and is believed to be for 1.6 Million a year for three years.

The Parisian club have recently lost Juan Martin Hernandez to a long term injury and they now need to fill that position.

The deal works out at t $31,000 a week and would surely set Carter up for life financially.

Carter was offered $1.1 million earlier last month by Perpignan which was their maximum.

Other European clubs such as Toulouse, Bath, Saracens and Northampton but none of these are expected to come in even closely to Racing's offer.

While the offer being put on the table for Carter is the biggest contract yet it will not make him Rugby's biggest earner.

Racing's Sebastien Chabal is said to earn $2.7 million a year but only $465,000 of that is from his club contract and the rest comes from advertising deals.

Carter is one of a few All Blacks who have not yet renewed their contracts for next season and the list includes the likes of captain Richie McCaw, Ma'a Nonu, Liam Messam, Josevata Rokocoko, Brad Thorn, Jimmy Cowan, Sonny Bill Williams, Cory Jane and Mils Muliaina.

The NZRU are said to have told all of the players to have their contracts for next year finalised before the TriNations kicks off which is in July

I don't see him coming to the UK because of the salary cap, which is about half of what it is in France. Could be very interesting if he went to Toulon - they could move Jonny Wilkinson to 12 and that would be fascinating.

Gavin Henson is signed there (as a 12) until the end of this season, but he'll have found somewhere else to go by then, I should think.

I watched the televised Super Rugby game between Crusaders and Sharks at Twickenham on Sunday, straight after watching and Aviva Premiership game between Northampton and Wasps, and it reminded me how different the game is between the NH and SH. (Personally, I prefer the NH but that's just a matter of opinion).

Come the RWC, it could be quite interesting: looking at the groups, I can see a NZ vs England final (I know plenty of Aussies, Jaapies and French will disagree, but it's only an opinion). I can see NZ looking to play a SR type of game, with great running lines, quick hands and happy feet, but I can see England playing an all-round game and winning the mental battle, primarily by not trying to play NZ at their own game, but forcing them to play in the NH way.

If NZ can dominate the breakdown and use the pressure (from public and press) positively, I see them winning, but otherwise, I see another WC win for England.

Any thoughts?

who knows for sure, last season towards the end of the super 14, me and most of my mates, and some here were thinking that the boks would likely clean up the trinations due to the strength of their 2 super 14 teams (Bulls & Stormers) and the ABs and Wallabies would struggle,the opposite happened.

IMO, it all comes downs to timing and momentum. If the ABs played like they did at the begining of the trinations last year, they will be hard to beat, period. But, if they peak too soon, we know how it could easily end in tears, especially if key players Carter/McCaw are out with injury...... this could possibly be both their last RWC

saying all that thou, if the weather turns to custard as it can in NZ during sept/oct, it could be a game leveler, it will be a tight game affair in which England/NH teams are good at playing. Im hoping for a rain free, period during the RWC :rolleyes:

..............Carter would probably take that contract, he would be silly not to.

unsure if I should be confused, bemused or amused over this suspension; since when are there degrees of eye gouging? - he was found guilty - or there's be no suspension. If the mitigation was that he was retaliating then that doesn't wash either, retaliation is in itself an offence. The idea of backdating it is a con - the club knew he's be suspended by RFU so give him their little suspension too.

Sale wing Mark Cueto has been handed a nine-week ban for gouging - meaning he will be available for selection ahead of England's World Cup warm up Tests.

Cueto pleaded guilty at a Rugby Football Union disciplinary hearing to the charge of making contact with the eye or eye area of Northampton lock Christian Day during the Sharks' Aviva Premiership defeat on April 2.

The RFU's disciplinary panel judged Cueto's actions to have been a mid-range offence, but the 31-year-old escaped the maximum punishment of 18 weeks under what the RFU described as "compelling mitigation."

The wing's sanction was halved and back-dated to start on April 4, the day Cueto was handed a six-week internal suspension by his club.

Edited by genghis61

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where abouts Leinster v Toulouse is on tomorrow in Bangkok?

Checked Soi 8 website but can't see it listed there

I thought I'd take a gander at the Astro schedule;

this afternoon (Saturday) we have live on Eurosport and Star Sports the Asian Five Nations game from HK Football Club, HK against Japan.

From two pm (THAI) tomorrow (Sunday), what appears to be a couple of Malaysian Club Matches from Jalan Bellamy in KL

Leinster - Toulouse on Eurosport at about 9 pm (THAI) tonight, and repeated tomorrow afternoon

Northampton v Perpignan at 9 pm (THAI) on Sunday evening live on Eurosport

A couple of NRL games from 9.15 on Sunday morning (only the second is live), and one late tonight (recorded)

SC

Referees !

opinions please.

been watching a fair bit of good super 14, Aviva, Heineken cup and Magners league action lately.

the only one gripe i have though is that with some of the games that could have been have been even better spectacles to watch have been spoilt by some of the referees in charge. cant quite put my finger on what it is whether its how they interpret the letter of the law in the games or if its the fact that they just seem to like the sound of their own voices. but, it affects the way the games are played in the end they become more stop start affairs rather free flowing games that are easy on the eye to watch.

prime suspects in my opinion and have been for a long time are Jonathan Kaplan and Nigel Owens !