What No Rugby Forum!

Fair play mate. I tried to throw one in there and you did'nt bite. ;):lol:

nice one :D

us AB supporters have a sense of humour, we need it after what we've been through, or we will be bordering suicidal.

the ABs are guilty to playing close to the rules when throwing passes, many of the short passes do look 50/50,

however, they look good when I have one of my eyes closed :lol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this weekends internationals

England v Australia - Swing low vs Waltzing Matilda B)

should be close, England will dominate up front but Aussies have the classy backline, Australia should scrape in by 5

France v Fiji

something wrong if France doesnt put 30 points up on the Fijians, but who knows what team comes out thou.

Ireland v Samoa

expect some big tackles go in by the Samoans, some could be high, but the Irish pack should dominate, Ireland by 15

Italy v Argentina,

will be a battle in the forwards, Argies by 7

Scotland v New Zealand,

NZ still havent shaken off the rustiness on the end of year tour, hopefully, they will look sharper and replicate the form early in the season, if they do, the Scots are in for a long day. Im thinking that this is likely to happen. Watch SBW at 2nd five to off load in the tackle to Conrad Smith, or Dan Carter on the inside channel!!

ABs by 20.

Wales v South Africa,

I didnt see the Boks game against the Irish, but I assume the Boks are playing better than their recent form suggests, should be a humdinger. Boks by 10

my weekends sorted

enjoy :D

try this link for live coverage for the games, no guarantees that it will be shown, or it will be a quality feed but its free

this weekends internationals

England v Australia - Swing low vs Waltzing Matilda B)

should be close, England will dominate up front but Aussies have the classy backline, Australia should scrape in by 5

France v Fiji

something wrong if France doesnt put 30 points up on the Fijians, but who knows what team comes out thou.

Ireland v Samoa

expect some big tackles go in by the Samoans, some could be high, but the Irish pack should dominate, Ireland by 15

Italy v Argentina,

will be a battle in the forwards, Argies by 7

Scotland v New Zealand,

NZ still havent shaken off the rustiness on the end of year tour, hopefully, they will look sharper and replicate the form early in the season, if they do, the Scots are in for a long day. Im thinking that this is likely to happen. Watch SBW at 2nd five to off load in the tackle to Conrad Smith, or Dan Carter on the inside channel!!

ABs by 20.

Wales v South Africa,

I didnt see the Boks game against the Irish, but I assume the Boks are playing better than their recent form suggests, should be a humdinger. Boks by 10

my weekends sorted

enjoy :D

try this link for live coverage for the games, no guarantees that it will be shown, or it will be a quality feed but its free

They're all without exception on Astro, but not live - possibly with exception of England game - I forget; but we have the four nations final on Saturday afternoon - or, as Donnyboy would say, Saturday night

so can't complain - even if you do, no-one listens, so you might as well not bother...

I suppose you could grumble that some of the repeats on Sunday clash with one another, if you really ut your mind to complaining, but that was presumably a special sop to the publicans, as few people can show two games at once at home... I'll just surf, to keep my thumbs fit...

I suppose I should phone round or go out to find some supporters to watch the games with, and make a weekend of it, but I'm a bit light of pocket after last weekend in town...

SC

re The Four Nations Final (Rugby League)

cant see the Kiwis winning this one. The Kangaroos are just too classy. Most of the play revolves around kiwi capt Benji Marshall, and the Roos know that. Close him down and they will dominate. That and the fact it will be played in Brisbanes Suncorp stadium. The Kangaroos have game breakers right across the field.

theres always a chance thou.

cant see the Kiwis winning this one. The Kangaroos are just too classy. Most of the play revolves around kiwi capt Benji Marshall, and the Roos know that. Close him down and they will dominate. That and the fact it will be played in Brisbanes Suncorp stadium. The Kangaroos have game breakers right across the field.

waha- so glad im wrong on the outcome!! :D 16-12 to the KIWIS!!

a come from behind in the dying seconds. The Roos couldnt contain Benji Marshall, and that proved their undoing.

a nightmare double for the Aussies, down to England in the rugby 35-18, impressive.

Boks down Wales 29-25

ABs dominate Scotland to win 49-3, SBW had a blinder, named man of the match.

Ireland beat Samoa 20-10

France beat Fiji 34-12

Argies beat Italy 22-16

Edited by Donnyboy

waha- so glad im wrong on the outcome!! :D 16-12 to the KIWIS!!

a come from behind in the dying seconds. The Roos couldnt contain Benji Marshall, and that proved their undoing.

a nightmare double for the Aussies, down to England in the rugby 35-18, impressive.

Boks down Wales 29-25

ABs dominate Scotland to win 49-3, SBW had a blinder, named man of the match.

Ireland beat Samoa 20-10

France beat Fiji 34-12

Argies beat Italy 22-16

It went sorely against the grain to cheer for New Zealand in the afternoon and England later that night, but I'd have enjoyed my Saturday immensely if I'd not discovered the Scotland - All Blacks game was on after the England game...

At least I thought Scotland were quite - adventurous - it was not quite as miserable as the score-line suggested. When we were 21 down after 20 minutes I thought "on the bright side, we've done worse against Italy in the Six Nations in 2007..." and at least with a margin like 49-3 it should be a while before you post another record-breaking score....

SC

With my limited knowledge of rugby would it be fair to say that England have proved that for the first time in a very long while they can beat anybody on their dy and have gone from no hopers to an admittedly outsider, but now a danger team at the world cup?

Also, i've spent time in NZ, and you have to have stayed there to understand the importance attached to the AB's and rugby. I am wondering how the AB's are going to cope with the overwhelming expectations that lie on their shoulders. No doubt the best team in the world by a distance and i doubt that will change going into the WC but the pressure is going to be enormous and possibly their most difficult opponent.

Just my thoughts for a monday morning after a very decent weekends rugby. :D

the pressure is going to be enormous and possibly their most difficult opponent.

Couldnt agree more.

Slightly different topic, I'm getting really sick of watching rugby streamed on the internet. I have spent a lot of time trying different streams ( a lot mentioned on here) and to date have yet to find one that doesnt stutter or freeze. Only have 8mps connection and would upgrade to 16 if I could be guaranteed a decent stream but I guess there are no guarantees....

Even the pubs cannot get a decent satellite feed of these games and are putting the internet streams up on their TV's and its horrible to watch.

If this continues in to next year I will stop watching rugby, especially the non international stuff like S15, and watch rugby league on Australia Network instead. The Setanta channel, if it ever gets off the ground, wont be bought by True and doubtful Astro will buy it either so you can pretty much say goodbye to any rugby coverage as they now own the rights to just about everything. Hopefully the Setanta internet service at $59 a year will be good enough to stream to a TV as that seems to be the only light at the end of a very long tunnel......

the pressure is going to be enormous and possibly their most difficult opponent.

Couldnt agree more.

Slightly different topic, I'm getting really sick of watching rugby streamed on the internet. I have spent a lot of time trying different streams ( a lot mentioned on here) and to date have yet to find one that doesnt stutter or freeze. Only have 8mps connection and would upgrade to 16 if I could be guaranteed a decent stream but I guess there are no guarantees....

Even the pubs cannot get a decent satellite feed of these games and are putting the internet streams up on their TV's and its horrible to watch.

If this continues in to next year I will stop watching rugby, especially the non international stuff like S15, and watch rugby league on Australia Network instead. The Setanta channel, if it ever gets off the ground, wont be bought by True and doubtful Astro will buy it either so you can pretty much say goodbye to any rugby coverage as they now own the rights to just about everything. Hopefully the Setanta internet service at $59 a year will be good enough to stream to a TV as that seems to be the only light at the end of a very long tunnel......

At the moment, you'd need to be churlish in the extreme to complain about the Astro coverage, unless you couldn't receive it...

I suppose, to be fair, they did not show the USA Portugal game, nor Canada v Spain...

SC

I was not complaining about the Astro coverage, merely stating that unless Astro buys the Setanta coverage from next year, there will be no rugby from anything else but the internet.The Setanta channel that has been mooted is yet to materialise and if it does will Astro buy it? You can be sure that True will not. The only party that owns the rights to rugby next year in Asia is Setanta and its still unclear how that will be distributed.

The fact that Astro isn't available to everyone is a whole other conversation........

With my limited knowledge of rugby would it be fair to say that England have proved that for the first time in a very long while they can beat anybody on their dy and have gone from no hopers to an admittedly outsider, but now a danger team at the world cup?

Also, i've spent time in NZ, and you have to have stayed there to understand the importance attached to the AB's and rugby. I am wondering how the AB's are going to cope with the overwhelming expectations that lie on their shoulders. No doubt the best team in the world by a distance and i doubt that will change going into the WC but the pressure is going to be enormous and possibly their most difficult opponent.

Just my thoughts for a monday morning after a very decent weekends rugby. :D

as a NZer and diehard AB fan, we have been through the ups and downs (more downs) with the RWC. Theres always an expectation for the ABs to win, even more so during the RWC. These days i dont count my chickens with the RWC, as Ive been disappointed so many times.

We are just under 12 months to go and the ABs are on top atm, but i still see areas where we can improve on. There are teams that will come close or even beat the ABs but who really knows what will be thrown up then. If the ABs hit their peak and without injuries to key players, they will be unbeatable. Most notably at first five. If Carter gets injured, the ABs are in big trouble. I dont know why Donald is in the team. (see his efforts in the latter stages of the test vs Aus in HK for reference) Biggest find this year has to be SBW, he has improved big time since I saw him play in the barbarians team last year. He will just get better imo.

During the latter stages of this years S14, 2 South African teams were dominant with the Aussies next. Most comments at that time was that there should be a very good Bok team that will emerge from that (Bulls and Stormers) going into the Trinations, and the Aussies and ABs will fight it out for 2nd place. That didnt happen.

Even during the last RWC, the eventual winners SA were nearly beaten in a pool game by Tonga. Jake White cleared his bench at halftime when the Tonga led then. the ABs were dominant in the early pool plays, only to fizzle out to the french (again) in a 20 min period where their play and decision making I would call woeful.

Going from here, I think the biggest threat to the ABs is still Australia. They have beaten them once, and came close on another occasion this year.

For England to be a main contender for the 2011 RWC, they will need to keep the momentum going and win the 6 Nations.

Couldnt agree more.

At the moment, you'd need to be churlish in the extreme to complain about the Astro coverage, unless you couldn't receive it...

I suppose, to be fair, they did not show the USA Portugal game, nor Canada v Spain...

SC

in NZ,we're so lucky during the RWC. We have 1 paytv operator showing all games, and another 3 free to air channels (Maori tv, TV1, TV3) showing some of the key games, all the qf, semis and final.

as much as would love to be in Thailand, theres no way I would be back during sept-oct 2011.

This weekends games/predictions

England v Samoa

England should continue their winning ways this weekend against the Pacific Islanders, England by 15

Italy v Australia

not sure how Italy will cope this weekend as the Wallabies will be looking to bounce back from last weekends loss. Aussies by 20

Ireland v NZ

The Irish should put up more resistance than the Scots did last week. But I wonder how they will cope if the game is played at a high pace, A few changes in the AB team this week sees SBW on the bench. Not sure if they see the Irelands midfield combo (ODriscoll + DArcy) more of a threat, or part of a rotation. Also looking forward to see if the scrum will improve on their few outings. Hopefully the weather will be fine and we will see great game played. All Blacks by 15

France v Argentina

This should be a close encounter imo. France by 3

Ireland v NZ

The Irish should put up more resistance than the Scots did last week. But I wonder how they will cope if the game is played at a high pace, A few changes in the AB team this week sees SBW on the bench. Not sure if they see the Irelands midfield combo (ODriscoll + DArcy) more of a threat, or part of a rotation. Also looking forward to see if the scrum will improve on their few outings. Hopefully the weather will be fine and we will see great game played. All Blacks by 15

A little surprised O'Brien isn't even on the bench, I personally would have gone for ROG and Stringer and bringing on Sexton and Reddan later in the game.

If Heaslip, Wallace and Ferris play well it will be a great game,

So in Sunshine or in Shadow, Bowe to score twice, Jolly Greens by five

sorry i havent been around to put some input in these last few weeks.

anyway here goes with my predictions.

england by 14 points

the aussies by 24 points. although should be a good test for the wallabies pack.

france by a healthy margin of 15 points.

fear for the irish on this one ! all blacks by 21 points or more.

Edited by tigerfish

Ireland v NZ

A little surprised O'Brien isn't even on the bench, I personally would have gone for ROG and Stringer and bringing on Sexton and Reddan later in the game.

If Heaslip, Wallace and Ferris play well it will be a great game,

So in Sunshine or in Shadow, Bowe to score twice, Jolly Greens by five

i would love to see Bowe in twice, but he also has to defend against Hosea Gear, one of the better performing wingers this year imo.He has a very good presence to know where to be at the right time. He scored 3 times v England, when he was in the NZ Maori squad this year. Cory Jane is pretty handy as well. SBW will be impact off the bench at 60 min, could be at either midfield positions, would love to see him score this time.

Nice work by Munster on the Aussies midweek btw. Good to see the Wallabies getting a bit of special treatment too :D

i would love to see Bowe in twice, but he also has to defend against Hosea Gear,

I agree he has been good, is he related to Rico Gear?

It is always tough against a Munster team, in the rain, and at home, I believe the All Blacks know that all to well.

A little nostalgia

forgot to add the Wales v Fiji game which was played last night, 16-16 Draw

Doesnt look to good for Gatland

they were lucky to get away with a draw. 13 - 6 down at half time and if it wasnt for the fact that they were awarded a penalty try and fiji didnt take the 3 points at the end of the game, instead of pushing on for the win it could all have been a different story.

Edited by tigerfish

weekend roundup

Wales 16 v Fiji 16 -doesnt bode well for the Welsh this coming weekend, The ABs will be wanting to go on and complete a grand slam and finish a great year. Could be a blowout.

England 26 v Samoa 13 - didnt see the game, any comments? Still a RWC contender for 2011? If they win well against the Boks this coming weekend, I will say most definately.

Italy 14 v Australia 32- didnt see this one either, but no surprises.

Ireland 18 v NZ 38 -good solid effort by the Irish I thought, they were always in the game until the final try to Read.

Scotland 21 v South Africa 17- Big upset. Although not surprised. The Boks seem to be unsettled with no consistency. They need to turn it around and face a resurgent English side this weekend.

France 15 v Argentina 9 - not much between these 2 sides atm

I thought Scotland looked more entertaining and expansive against New Zealand than they did this weekend...

I'm delighted Dan Parks is playing so well, after the stick he got in the press a year or two back.

SC

i didnt see that game but it seems that they are possibly in the midst of change in the way they play the game. Trying to play a faster game and moving the ball wider when the opportunity presents itself. They probably reverted back to their old style plan B when new game plan A wasnt effective.?

It is quite possible that the old style of keep it tight and kick for territory could still win in adverse weather conditions, and against similiar opposition, but on a fast hard tracks like most modern fields have these days (well, in the southern hemisphere) it would be better to start to play the faster game, improve player fitness levels and employ a more mobile pack that have good ball handling skills.

I love the way the game is evolving, much better for spectators and perhaps the game will grow as a result.

Edited by Donnyboy

i would like to pick all your brains if i may.

i was watching the sevens asian games bronze medal match yesterday between HK and thailand and cant say i have ever seen anything like the kind of decision the ref took at the end of normal time before.

HK had just scored to tie the game up and as is usual there was the chance to convert the try for an extra 2 points to win the game. as is customary in sevens you have to drop the goal when converting for the extra points. anyway the young lass was getting herself altogether, bounced the ball a couple of time and was just about to kick when the ref muttered something to her. so she goes through the same routine again and just about to kick and the ref again intervenes, says something to her and then proceeds to take the ball off her and call time. huh.gif

never seen anything like it before in my life. is this right or would i be just a little to suspect in thinking that every-things not as it should be in our game when it is played in this part of the world. ph34r.gif

i always thought that you were given the chance to win the game as the ball was effectively still in play and not dead so to speak..

as i said donnyboy she bounced the ball on its end, composed herself and was just about to kick when the ref stepped in and muttered something to her. went through the same routine and was just about to try and kick when he steps in again and takes the ball off her and calls time.

the kick was virtually right in front of the posts, maybe at about a ten to 15 degree angle out at the most. would of thought he could have given her the time to get herself mentally right and picture the kick so to speak. as its not as easier a task for a lady as it is for a guy, for obvious reasons.

would have won the match and the bronze medal had it gone over !

Edited by tigerfish

I thought Scotland looked more entertaining and expansive against New Zealand than they did this weekend...

I'm delighted Dan Parks is playing so well, after the stick he got in the press a year or two back.

SC

i didnt see that game but it seems that they are possibly in the midst of change in the way they play the game. Trying to play a faster game and moving the ball wider when the opportunity presents itself. They probably reverted back to their old style plan B when new game plan A wasnt effective.?

It is quite possible that the old style of keep it tight and kick for territory could still win in adverse weather conditions, and against similiar opposition, but on a fast hard tracks like most modern fields have these days (well, in the southern hemisphere) it would be better to start to play the faster game, improve player fitness levels and employ a more mobile pack that have good ball handling skills.

I love the way the game is evolving, much better for spectators and perhaps the game will grow as a result.

NZ Herald writes about the different rugby styles today.

All Blacks: Style clash set for RWC says Smith

With the World Cup less than a year away, All Blacks assistant coach Wayne Smith has attempted to temper expectations of a free flowing spectacle throughout by predicting conservatism could yet again triumph over creativity.

Although the All Blacks have implemented an expansive game plan this season after adapting to new law interpretations engineered to make the game more entertaining, Smith expects panache to be replaced by pragmatism once the tournament reaches the knockout stages.

During this Grand Slam tour - which ends against Wales at the Millennium Stadium on Sunday (0615 NZT) - the All Blacks have been pleasantly surprised at their opponents' willingness to dispense with a traditional kick-centric, set piece-to-set piece approach and attempt to match New Zealand at their own game - an up-tempo style using plenty of width.

When the All Blacks beat Scotland 49-3 at Murrayfield, New Zealand's hookers Hika Elliot and Andrew Hore delivered to only seven lineouts - an indication the Scots were reluctant to kick possession away, or the punts were so shallows quick throws could be taken.

The ploy did not work for a Scottish side returning from a five-month lay-off, though the Irish reaped more rewards from their enterprise, scoring two tries despite going down 18-38 last weekend.

And England, usually the world leaders in percentage rugby, are also reinventing their game.

Dylan Hartley's try against the All Blacks came via an enterprising break from Chris Ashton which his predecessors would probably have hoofed into the stands at Twickenham.

The wing then scored one of November's most scintillating tries when England counterattacked from their own line against the Wallabies - a sight to behold, and hard to believe - as Ashton surged 95 metres to glory.

England manager Martin Johnson and Irish head coach Declan Kidney both spoke of a need to loosen the shackles under the new laws before playing the All Blacks. However, the duo will could yet field a bona fide tactical kicker at first five-eighth in New Zealand.

This year's Tri-Nations illustrated how playing with width rather than adhering to a kick-chase formula was being rewarded - the All Blacks, Springboks and Wallabies produced 52 tries in the nine-match tournament compared to just 27 in 2009.

Smith was delighted with the emphasis on attack but expected there would be a strategic rethink at the World Cup once the quarterfinalists were known.

"Things will tighten up, knockout rugby tends to be like that," he said.

"I can remember when the Crusaders first played in finals in Super 12. We played some brilliant rugby all the way through and then there's something about finals that tends to tighten you up a wee bit.

"The challenge will be to keep making use of the laws that exist, and play as expansively as you can within the confines in the pressure of the tournament."

The history of the Webb Ellis trophy reinforces the notion that precise kicking and defence are of paramount importance particularly in the finals - as the All Blacks discovered at Cardiff in 2007 when they lost 18-20 in the quarters to France after being reluctant to take a dropped goal.

Other than the All Blacks 29-9 victory over France to claim the inaugural tournament in 1987 - and the Wallabies 23-point drubbing of France in the 1999 decider - the winning margins have been paper thin and tries were at a premium.

The Wallabies won 12-6 against England in 1991; Joel Stransky was South Africa's dropped goal hero in extra time at Johannesburg five years later while a Jonny Wilkinson dropped goal - also in extra time at Sydney - ensured England were the first northern hemisphere nation to wear the crown in 2003.

Unfortunately the 2007 showpiece in Paris has not lingered long in the memory after South Africa outlasted England 15-6 in a drab finale.

The entertainment quotient of test rugby has increased since then but as Smith, his players and New Zealand's rugby following population realise: 3-0 to the All Blacks at Eden Park next October 23 will finally ease the pain after five previous World Cup campaigns ended up pointless exercises.

- NZPA