What No Rugby Forum!

forgot to say

before the Trinations kicks off, The ABs play Ireland on June 12 for a one off test. It could be close as The ABs usually start the season off slow. France beat them last year in the start of the season(June) 27-22, the following week the ABs won 14-10. By the end of the season (Dec) The ABs beat France 39-12

ABs v Ireland June 12

ABs v Wales June 19

ABs V Wales June 26

ABLogoHPAni.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgot to say

before the Trinations kicks off, The ABs play Ireland on June 12 for a one off test. It could be close as The ABs usually start the season off slow. France beat them last year in the start of the season(June) 27-22, the following week the ABs won 14-10. By the end of the season (Dec) The ABs beat France 39-12

ABs v Ireland June 12

ABs v Wales June 19

ABs V Wales June 26

ABLogoHPAni.gif

I think the only reason that NZ start slow is that they use the games as trial matches and blood some of their youngsters. My guess is that they'll beat Ireland by 3+ and then beat Wales by 7+ and 12+ respectively.

I still can't help wonder if someone somewhere in NZ is ruing not selecting Robbie Deans as coach.

forgot to say

ABs v Ireland June 12

ABs v Wales June 19

ABs V Wales June 26

ABLogoHPAni.gif

I think the only reason that NZ start slow is that they use the games as trial matches and blood some of their youngsters. My guess is that they'll beat Ireland by 3+ and then beat Wales by 7+ and 12+ respectively.

I still can't help wonder if someone somewhere in NZ is ruing not selecting Robbie Deans as coach.

i was thinking that a long time ago after the last world cup, but my preference would have been warren gatland.

but its not up to me to say seeing as i am not from n.z. better ask our resident kiwi(donnyboy) what he thinks.

i think the tri-nations is going to be a cracker this year, got a sneaky feeling the aussies will have a part to play in who eventually wins the competition.

there was a huge public backlash against Henry and the rest of the coaching staff after the last RWC, mostly to do with how lavish the All Blacks were being treated before and during the RWC. Staying in top class hotels and sightseeing etc. Also critcised was Henry's player rotational policy which didnt work when the pressure came on. Players in the NZ vs France game didnt play as a team perhaps due to their lack of matches together.

Anyway, after the RWC post-mortem was carried out and positions for the new term coaches were being sorted, the wise heads? at the NZRFU decided to keep Henry. A decision most NZers were against, me included. Most wanted Deans. I guess we will see next year, as that is what NZ coaches are judged on.

s14.jpg

Week 13

Friday, May 7

Hurricanes vs Reds Upset could be in order here, Canes by 5

should be a good game as they are both playing for a semis spot

Lions vs Blues Blues by 15

Saturday, May 8

Chiefs vs Waratahs Tahs should be able to bounce back from last weeks poor showing, Tahs by 7

Brumbies vs Highlanders Brumbies are good at home, Brumbies by 15

Bulls vs Crusaders Bulls should be too good at home, Bulls by 12

this could be the end of the Crusaders in the top 4?

Cheetahs vs Western Force a close one, Cheetahs by 3

Sharks vs Stormers Stomers on a roll, Stomers by 12

The Bulls have cemented their semis spot, The Stormers need 1 point to make sure of a spot

3rd and 4th are still up for grabs as both teams (crusaders & reds) face stern oppostion this week. 3 teams sit just outside the top 4, and a win from any of these teams could see a change in the top 4, once again bonus points are crucial.

s12.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

Canes take it easily in the end 44-21 and take 3 spot and The Reds drop down to 5th

Overnight the Crusaders went down to the Bulls 40-35, but the last try to the Bulls after the hooter was deemed a forward pass by the Crusaders. The Bulls hold on to the top spot and will get a home semi. The Crusaders are 4th but they could drop out of the top 4 if the Warratahs beat the Chiefs. The Brumbies also have a shot if they win and secure a bonus point, which is quite possible as they face the Highlanders at home.

The Stormers should secure the other home semi if they win this weekend.

Not the best weekend for kiwi rugby fans

With 1 more round robin to go, there are no NZ teams in the top 4.

Next weekends games should be the best of the season. The Crusaders v Brumbies is a do or die game for a semis spot.

So is the Hurricanes v Waratahs game.

And The Bulls play The Stormers. This is probably the warm up for the final, as theyre likely to face each again then.

And was that them on the wrong end of the score board in the rugby league as well on Friday night? Don't know what the competition was...

Some details out for the 2013 world cup - an expanded format, which I think is NOT a good thing - though I suppose the B & C pools were quite competitive within themselves - but the real excitement was in the qualifying stages for 2008. I think they'll try to make the pools even more complicated this time, which is really not fair, given the mental acuity of most league fans.

SC

And was that them on the wrong end of the score board in the rugby league as well on Friday night? Don't know what the competition was...

Some details out for the 2013 world cup - an expanded format, which I think is NOT a good thing - though I suppose the B & C pools were quite competitive within themselves - but the real excitement was in the qualifying stages for 2008. I think they'll try to make the pools even more complicated this time, which is really not fair, given the mental acuity of most league fans.

SC

i dont follow the league, not by choice, but i cant get coverage

the Aussies will almost always get the better of the Kiwis in league, and in soccer, as they have more professional players to pick from.

I dont know much about the league world cup either.

League is a great game to watch, pure action and easier to understand.

8>< SNIP - NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

the Aussies will almost always get the better of the Kiwis in league, and in soccer, as they have more professional players to pick from.

World cups excepted, I suppose. Not chokers there...

SC

8>< SNIP - NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

World cups excepted, I suppose. Not chokers there...

SC

haha forgot about that :)

This weekends Guinness Premiership Playoff predictions:

Northampton to beat Saracens by less than 7

Bath to beat Leicester by less than 7

Either way it's going to be close.........looking forward to it :)

how the hel_l did bath get into the forth place playoff spot, i will never know!

if leicester dont give them a good mauling i will eat a plate of som tam boo/blah with 10 chillies!

hope the saints do over the fez heads, but it will be a tight one.

hey you guys, I watch all my rugby via DSTV supersports

but that signal will be cut from the end of may/begining june, im just wondering if you have any alternatives to the above

i heard astro is ok but im not sure if they cover the rugby, Australia Network is another.

So far, i dont have any confirmed bars in CM saying they will show rugby after may.

any suggestions?

hey you guys, I watch all my rugby via DSTV supersports

but that signal will be cut from the end of may/begining june, im just wondering if you have any alternatives to the above

i heard astro is ok but im not sure if they cover the rugby, Australia Network is another.

So far, i dont have any confirmed bars in CM saying they will show rugby after may.

any suggestions?

mmm.....watched the Six Nations and now the Super 14's on DSTV, didn't realise the signal was about to be cut, what's that all about ?

Some Guinness Premierships and Heinekin Cup are shown on Eurosport.

Edited by b19bry

^ mostly to do with the signal being hacked into by illegal means, us in thailand are minor compared to the Indians,apparently theres over 30 Million illegal subscribers over there hacking into the cricket!!

So DSTV will cease its coverage over the asian region from end of may early june

look at this thread for more info

s14.jpg

the last round robin at last, next week semi finals but 4 teams this weekend will play to get the 2 remaining semis spots;

Week 14

Friday, May 14

Crusaders vs Brumbies- this game will be a cracker! Playing for a semis spot both teams will throw in everything, incl the kitchen sink

Crusaders are good playing at home,Carter will need to play well, Crusaders by 7

Waratahs vs Hurricanes -as above, this is a do or die game for the last semis spot, Hurricanes have found some form recently, and the Tahs have had a good win last week, it will be close, Tahs by 3 as they have a home team advantage, but it could either way.

Sharks vs Western Force -Sharks by 15

Saturday, May 15

Blues vs Chiefs-local derby but alas nothing to play for Blues by 8

Reds vs Highlanders-Reds could have been this year but after a couple of crucial losses see them playing for pride, Reds by 13

Cheetahs vs Lions Lions last chance to get a win but i cant see the pattern being broken,Cheetahs by 13

Stormers vs Bulls- well not the final warm up as The Bulls have rested a few key players before next weekends crunch games, The Stomers fell last weekend to the Sharks in a game they needed to win to secure a home semi, they need to win to secure it or lose out. Stomers by 12.

this has been a great season so far with some outstanding rugby being played, with the SH Internationals around the corner, have we seen what is about to unfold for The All Blacks, with a poor NZ showing in the S14? The Boks could be unbeatable this year, or will a surprise Aussie package undo them both?

s12.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

s14.jpg

the last round robin at last, next week semi finals but 4 teams this weekend will play to get the 2 remaining semis spots;

Week 14

Friday, May 14

Crusaders vs Brumbies- this game will be a cracker! Playing for a semis spot both teams will throw in everything, incl the kitchen sink

Crusaders are good playing at home,Carter will need to play well, Crusaders by 7

Waratahs vs Hurricanes -as above, this is a do or die game for the last semis spot, Hurricanes have found some form recently, and the Tahs have had a good win last week, it will be close, Tahs by 3 as they have a home team advantage, but it could either way.

Sharks vs Western Force -Sharks by 15

Saturday, May 15

Blues vs Chiefs-local derby but alas nothing to play for Blues by 8

Reds vs Highlanders-Reds could have been this year but after a couple of crucial losses see them playing for pride, Reds by 13

Cheetahs vs Lions Lions last chance to get a win but i cant see the pattern being broken,Cheetahs by 13

Stormers vs Bulls- well not the final warm up as The Bulls have rested a few key players before next weekends crunch games, The Stomers fell last weekend to the Sharks in a game they needed to win to secure a home semi, they need to win to secure it or lose out. Stomers by 12.

this has been a great season so far with some outstanding rugby being played, with the SH Internationals around the corner, have we seen what is about to unfold for The All Blacks, with a poor NZ showing in the S14? The Boks could be unbeatable this year, or will a surprise Aussie package undo them both?

s12.jpg

well the crusaders and waratahs produced the goods and the performances to go with.

now will the stormers put in a performance, that will secure a home game in the semis. the bulls may be resting a few payers, but i think you could read a lot into todays result as to how the title is going to be settled.

^ this all could backfire on the Bulls if The Stormers win this weekend, if this happens

Bulls will be 1, Stormers 2, Tahs 3, & Crusaders 4. 1 plays 4, and 2 plays 3.

The Crusaders came very close to beating The Bulls last weekend, with the Bulls winning after the hooter with a dubious try awarded.

This will be a hard ask as the Crusaders will need to travel back to SA, thats 2x in 3 weeks.

how the hel_l did bath get into the forth place playoff spot, i will never know!

The return of Olly Barkley and Butch James !!

if leicester dont give them a good mauling i will eat a plate of som tam boo/blah with 10 chillies!

Well the fez heads take it by 2 after a very close game..........bummer, Saints are my team..........maybe nxt yr :)

Now watching Tigers v Bath

The return of Olly Barkley and Butch James !!

Well the fez heads take it by 2 after a very close game..........bummer, Saints are my team..........maybe nxt yr :)

Now watching Tigers v Bath

cant stand those fez head &lt;deleted&gt;! they are my team(wasps) arch rivals, a long with that mob that have the ice cream and hot dog stand over the road from twickers :D

Well that's the end of my career as a Rugby pundit

Northampton 19 - 21 Saracens

Leicester 15 - 6 Bath

The final should be a thriller though

s14.jpg

Week 15 - Semi-finals

Saturday, May 22

Bulls vs Crusaders, i have a feeling the Bulls will be tested this week, will be a high pace game, Crusaders will feel it from the long travel earlier in the week. Bulls by 12

Stormers vs Waratahs, Stomers should be too strong on their home track. Stomers by 15

s12.jpg

With the final two legs of the IRB Sevens coming up in Twickenham and Murrayfield, I'm hopign Scotland can repeat last year's successes, now that the professional players are available. I'm guessing the squad selection was made before it was confirmed that Glasgow would make their players available by withdrawing from the Magners League play-offs when they did

We clash with the Auld Enemy in Pool D at Twickenham, while at Murrayfield we face the World Cup holders...England and Kenya (!) are the two seeded Northern Hemisphere sides at Twickenham, joined by the USA in the seeds at Murrayfield.

Meanwhile in Superleague, Wigan have opened up a 4-point gap at the top, thanks in part to a remarkable victory by Salford over St Helens. Leeds v Wigan and Bradford v Warrington must be the pick of the quarter-final fixtures in the Challenge Cup weekend after this..

Plenty to look forward to, if you know where to look. I guess the Sevens will be on Supersport from South Africa...

SC

s14.jpg

Week 15 - Semi-finals

Saturday, May 22

Bulls vs Crusaders, i have a feeling the Bulls will be tested this week, will be a high pace game, Crusaders will feel it from the long travel earlier in the week. Bulls by 12

Stormers vs Waratahs, Stomers should be too strong on their home track. Stomers by 15

s12.jpg

agreed! donnyboy.

i think the crusaders have nothing to lose. bulls have leaked a hel_l of a lot of points this season, and as long as they can score the odd try now and again and keep the board ticking over with the boot. i think they should be able to push them all the way.

score in the high twentys - thirtys me thinks. crusaders by 8.

as for the stormers, i think they are going to run riot. stormers by 20.

Well it was always hard for the out of towners to beat the home sides. The Crusaders played ok but the bounce of the ball went the Bulls way. They are playing well and so are the Stormers. The Stormers will now have to travel to the Bulls Fortress and get an upset. Hard to see it going against the Bulls at this stage.

Finally, one of my teams gets it right......

Toulouse rule Europe again

Skrela and Fritz stick boot into Biarritz in Heineken Cup final

toulouse_2456323.jpg

David Skrela and Florian Fritz kicked Toulouse to their fourth Heineken Cup final triumph with a 21-19 victory over Biarritz in Paris.

Biarritz led 9-3 after half-an-hour thanks to three penalties from Dimitri Yachvili but Toulouse, appearing in a record sixth final, took control thereafter thanks to their forwards.

Fritz slotted a penalty and drop goal and Skrela landed two penalties to turn things around before half-time.

And, despite losing Patricio Albacete to the sin-bin in the 49th minute, they made light of their numerical disadvantage as two Skrela drop goals and a penalty padded the lead to 21-12 entering the final 10 minutes.

Karmicheal Hunt's 73rd-minute converted try for Biarritz set up a tense finale but Toulouse held firm to regain the status of European champions for the first time since 2005.

Full report: http://www.skysports.com/rugbyunion/match_...40285_1,00.html

Finally, one of my teams gets it right......

Toulouse rule Europe again

Skrela and Fritz stick boot into Biarritz in Heineken Cup final

toulouse_2456323.jpg

David Skrela and Florian Fritz kicked Toulouse to their fourth Heineken Cup final triumph with a 21-19 victory over Biarritz in Paris.

Biarritz led 9-3 after half-an-hour thanks to three penalties from Dimitri Yachvili but Toulouse, appearing in a record sixth final, took control thereafter thanks to their forwards.

Fritz slotted a penalty and drop goal and Skrela landed two penalties to turn things around before half-time.

And, despite losing Patricio Albacete to the sin-bin in the 49th minute, they made light of their numerical disadvantage as two Skrela drop goals and a penalty padded the lead to 21-12 entering the final 10 minutes.

Karmicheal Hunt's 73rd-minute converted try for Biarritz set up a tense finale but Toulouse held firm to regain the status of European champions for the first time since 2005.

Full report: http://www.skysports.com/rugbyunion/match_...40285_1,00.html

yes a great victory for one of the big powerhouses of northen hemisphere rugby, but hardly a great advertisement for the game itself!

o.k. it was the final and a win is a win i suppose and thats all that matters at the end of the day. note, (not one try in the game).

if you look at the two major domestic cup competitions north and south though, you will find that the north are sadly lacking. when it comes to the entertainment side of things and playing out and out attacking total rugby.

unless the powers that be, and ive said it on more than one occasion dont take a good look at the game in the northern hemisphere and revamp some of the rules(especially the kicking aspect of the game). then sadly when it comes to the next world cup in n.z it will be no surprise to see s.a., australia and n.z. taking 3 of the 4 semi-final spots.

yes, i like any other true rugby fan like too see the sight of a rolling maul, a real scrap for the ball at the breakdown, a scrum won against the head or the opposing team winning a line out.

and yes in the north we have some of the greatest teams when it comes to exploiting those feats. the likes of munster, leicester, biarritz and many more.

but! times they are a changing, gone are the good old days of it being an ameteur sport. its the professional era now and although it saddens me to say it, money is a big factor in the game. id just hate to see the game i love go down the tubes, because of some back dated commitee board members being to stubborn and set in their ways to see that changes need to be made.

Edited by tigerfish