Fish/seafood With Cheese

Jingthing

"Homard Thermidor"

Lobster Thermidor is a french classic dish still been served in some 3 michelin star restaurants. Grilled lobster with cheese.

i [not so] humbly beg to differ and claim that no restaurant awarded with any Michelin stars would prepare/serve Lobster Thermidor as the chef would be considered a culinary criminal.

http://andrelv.com/corporate/press/34-andr...lion-renevation

interesting reading Mr. Naam.

ocals, devoted clientele and food lovers alike will be pleased to know the daily culinary operations are being managed by Chef de Cuisine Greg Engelhardt, a veteran of the recently closed Andre’s in downtown Las Vegas. Engelhardt’s driving passion to create contemporary interpretations of “Andre’s Classics” earned the downtown restaurant a one star rating from the prestigious Michelin Travel Guide.

The menu features traditional French cuisine overseen nightly by Chef Rochat, who gives his personal stamp of approval to each plate before it leaves the kitchen. Guests can indulge in Andre’s signature menu items, including Rack of Colorado Lamb with eggplant parmesan and gratin dauphinois; Filet of Beef au Poivre Vert with green peppercorn cream sauce and jumbo asparagus hollandaise and Live Maine Lobster Thermidor

Rules are made to be broken and, as Italian, I can repeat that the rule "no cheese with seafood" and "no red wine with seafood" are valid, although with some (rare) exceptions. And for sure somebody can eat a juicy tenderloin with some ketchup or strawberry jam, or kill a Maine lobster with some kind of cheese sauce.

Tutti i gusti sono gusti

Everybody are allowed to eat what they like, also the Lobster Termidor :)

Rules are made to be broken and, as Italian, I can repeat that the rule "no cheese with seafood" and "no red wine with seafood" are valid, although with some (rare) exceptions. And for sure somebody can eat a juicy tenderloin with some ketchup or strawberry jam, or kill a Maine lobster with some kind of cheese sauce.

Tutti i gusti sono gusti

Everybody are allowed to eat what they like, also the Lobster Termidor :)

Yea it's a bit like me trying to convince my Mrs something is really really aroi - even though she doesn't like the taste of it. :D

"Aroi" I said

"Jing" she said nose curled up

"Jing jing, aroi mak mak" I said emphatically

"Dai ka" she replied "aroi but tastes bad"

(Note to wife - sorry for using you in the above example - had to be done)

dunno...I like a good red wine with just about anything but if given the choice would prefer a bordeaux to a burgundy with seafood...a nice crisp chardonnay is OK fer an 'apertif'...

I've never had a good thermidor as in restaurants they usually they go overboard with the cheese to mask inferior (mostly frozen) seafood...I was gonna try it meself but sumone stole my copy of the Julia Child cook book...takes all day to prepare one of her recipes but well worth the effort...

with her sarcastic twinkle from the cooking show (one of my all time favorites) 'bon apetit...' :)

anyone seen the movie with Meryl Streep?

Classic! :)

I think that the words "to you" (after "aroi") and "to me" (after "bad") were omitted, but clearly intended, which is not uncommon (sorry for the double negative) when Thais and farang food are involved.

Classic! :)

I think that the words "to you" (after "aroi") and "to me" (after "bad") were omitted, but clearly intended, which is not uncommon (sorry for the double negative) when Thais and farang food are involved.

i made it up mate. but if it were real, the aroi jing jing would be with raised eyebrow from her.

ocals, devoted clientele and food lovers alike will be pleased to know the daily culinary operations are being managed by Chef de Cuisine Greg Engelhardt, a veteran of the recently closed Andre’s in downtown Las Vegas. Engelhardt’s driving passion to create contemporary interpretations of “Andre’s Classics” earned the downtown restaurant a one star rating from the prestigious Michelin Travel Guide.

The menu features traditional French cuisine overseen nightly by Chef Rochat, who gives his personal stamp of approval to each plate before it leaves the kitchen. Guests can indulge in Andre’s signature menu items, including Rack of Colorado Lamb with eggplant parmesan and gratin dauphinois; Filet of Beef au Poivre Vert with green peppercorn cream sauce and jumbo asparagus hollandaise and Live Maine Lobster Thermidor

when i read the english/french mumbo jumbo "beef/poivre vert" instead of green pepper and going on with "green peppercorn cream sauce" i know that it's all show. also i wonder what the animal rights advocates say to "Live Maine Lobster Thermidor" not to talk about connoisseurs (like you and me :D ) who would never accept that a Maine lobster's superb taste is spoiled with cheese and of course we wouldn't eat a live lobster. :)

It's a very old "rule" that I've only encountered in Italian cuisine... from a culinary point of view, the only real reason to avoid cheese with seafood has to do with flavor profiles. Specifically, cheese used that the table as a final garnish is usually parmagianno or romano, which are very strong, almost acrid cheeses. Most seafood has a delicate flavor that is easily overpowered by such a flavor profile. Why would you want to do that?

From a cultural point of view, I've been told that it dates way back to the old religious rules that dictated what you could eat and when. For instance part of eating fish during lent would have related to sacrificing rich foods. In addition to giving up meat, you'd be expected to avoid dairy, too. Etc.

Anyway. Just eat what you like. But do consider the type and amount of cheese you use with your seafood, and consider how delicate or intensely flavored your seafood is. Dishes like thermidor use very little cheese, it's always a mild melting cheese, and the liquid used to make the sauce includes a fish stock, which helps the lobster compete with the cheese.

when i pay fancy money for lobster in a restaurant instead of having it prepared at home then i don't want the anyway faint but delicate flavour to compete with cheese. but... chacun à son goût :)

when i read the english/french mumbo jumbo "beef/poivre vert" instead of green pepper and going on with "green peppercorn cream sauce" i know that it's all show. also i wonder what the animal rights advocates say to "Live Maine Lobster Thermidor" not to talk about connoisseurs (like you and me :D ) who would never accept that a Maine lobster's superb taste is spoiled with cheese and of course we wouldn't eat a live lobster. :)

All this talk of Lobster is making me hungry - drizzled with nice butter - keep the cheese and sour spicy sauce for yourself. :D

All this talk of Lobster is making me hungry - drizzled with nice butter - keep the cheese and sour spicy sauce for yourself. :)

this is what i will have in about 45 minutes, together with a bottle of icecold (-2ºC) bavarian Weissbier:

312801791_e0afd73eef.jpg

All this talk of Lobster is making me hungry - drizzled with nice butter - keep the cheese and sour spicy sauce for yourself. :)

this is what i will have in about 45 minutes, together with a bottle of icecold (-2ºC) bavarian Weissbier:

312801791_e0afd73eef.jpg

If you wait 45 mins mate, surely it will get cold?

also i wonder what the animal rights advocates say to "Live Maine Lobster Thermidor" not to talk about connoisseurs (like you and me :D ) who would never accept that a Maine lobster's superb taste is spoiled with cheese and of course we wouldn't eat a live lobster. :)

Not to stray further, but I always thought Maine lobsters were the best, much better than French, for example.  I used to get them delivered once every two months.  Out of the water in the evening, trucked to DC overnight, then clandestine meetings in the morning around the DC area to meet up with the van to pick up my order.

However, when I went to Newfoundland for a military demonstration, the locals kept talking about how superior their lobsters were.  I put this down to simple local pride--until I tasted them, that is.  Newfoundland lobsters are by far the best I have ever tasted.  I generally like crab more than lobster, but I would rather have the Newfoundland bugs over any other crustacean.