Help! My Wireless Router Is Losing Connection ....

coalminer

I have my wireless router D-Link DSL-2640T already more than 3 years, and it has been running without major problems.

But since a few months, when I needed to reinstall everything on my PC due to a computer virus, my wireless router starts to behave strange.

At random moments, my wireless router is losing the Internet connection.

Everytime this happens, I still have connection between my PC and the wireless router.

And the lights on the router are normal.

But the connection between my wireless router and the outsde world is lost.

No way to repair the connection.

Only thing that helps is disconnecting the power supply to the router, wait 5 minutes, and reconnect the power supply.

This is very annoying and happens very frequently.

Anyone that can help me?

TIA

Hi,

I had same problem some time ago. I live in london and the reason was that one of my neighbours had started using the same 'wireless channel' as i was (and from the same supplier) so the 2 modem were conflicting with each other.

When you reinstalled your modem it might have gone for a radio channel that is conflicting with another wireless modem in range.

Best thing would be to ring your provider or change it yourself if they cant help:

- access the modem setting thru http://192.168.2.1 (it's usually an address like this to access the modem)

- then try to find the transmission channel and change it...

if you live in the stick and there is no neighbours in sight then obviously no need to bother!

good luck

:)

Only thing that helps is disconnecting the power supply to the router, wait 5 minutes, and reconnect the power supply.

You may want to check your router's web interface to get more information what is going on resp. what has happened when the router lost the internet connection.

If the web interface is sluggish or not responsive at all the router might have locked up.

If the internet connection is just disconnected you can just HIT the CONNECT button and you'll be up and running again.

Check the router's log, there is a rare chance you'll get a hint about what's going on there.

However, are you sure that just dis- and reconnecting the power supply is not enough? This would restart the router and should solve any issue when the router crashed due to a software bug or whatever.

If the 5 minutes waiting time is really necessary, this might indicate overheating. If the router is hot improve air ventilation - for test purposes you could just put an ordinary fan to vent air on the device, and see if the problem is air related. Of course you'll have to test for a couple of hours/days to get a representative result.

Of course the possible reasons are plenty and a faulty line or troubles at the provider's side are always possible.

welo

The problem could very well be your reinstalled software "and drivers." If the router was working fine before you reloaded your software, chances are the router is still fine; however, your software/computer wireless chip driver reinstall is not optimized yet. When I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 back in Oct 09 I went through several weeks of trying to get my laptop's Toshiba-unique wireless chip drivers to work properly/hold onto the internet connection. I would maintain a wireless connection to the router but I would lose my internet connection from the router to the DSL modem/outside world. I could reboot the router, the DSL modem, "and/or" the computer and all was fine for a few more minutes and maybe several hours...but the problem would always come back.

And here's how I fixed my problem, when I plugged in a US Robotics wireless PCMII card to the laptop's PCMII connector I got and maintained an internet connection no problem...the connection remained rock-steady. This caused me to think even more it was a Toshiba wireless driver problem/mismatch. Well, when I unplugged the US Robotics wireless card from my laptop, my laptop internal wireless chip (Intel 3945ABG) once again connected to my wireless router, BUT, it maintained the connection for minutes, hours, until I turned the computer off. Over the next few days my laptop connected/maintained solid internet connection.

I'm a'guessing by plugging-in/hooking-up another wireless router device somehow corrected some Windows registry setting/some setting in Windows that made my Toshiba wireless chip completely happy again. Been smooth/uninterrupted wireless internet connection since. My guess is you have a software/driver issue and not a hardware issue. Wireless hardware for your computer is usually very picky about having the correct driver/settings (the latest driver may not work with our hardware version...you may need to use an earlier driver version). Good luck in fixing your wireless problem soon; it can be very frustrating, I know.

Edited by Pib

Your phone line might be noisy. Check out your phone cables, are they twisted together with bits of electrical tape and dangling out in the weather?

Is it worse when it rains?

Phone cables have not been changed and iot has been working fine before.

Cannot tell f it is worse when it rains as it has noot been raining very much since 2 monts, date that the problems started.

I had same problem some time ago. I live in london and the reason was that one of my neighbours had started using the same 'wireless channel' as i was (and from the same supplier) so the 2 modem were conflicting with each other.

When you reinstalled your modem it might have gone for a radio channel that is conflicting with another wireless modem in range.

Best thing would be to ring your provider or change it yourself if they cant help:

- access the modem setting thru http://192.168.2.1 (it's usually an address like this to access the modem)

Will try that.

Your story sounds plausible.

You may want to check your router's web interface to get more information what is going on resp. what has happened when the router lost the internet connection.

If the web interface is sluggish or not responsive at all the router might have locked up.

If the internet connection is just disconnected you can just HIT the CONNECT button and you'll be up and running again.

Check the router's log, there is a rare chance you'll get a hint about what's going on there.

However, are you sure that just dis- and reconnecting the power supply is not enough? This would restart the router and should solve any issue when the router crashed due to a software bug or whatever.

If the 5 minutes waiting time is really necessary, this might indicate overheating. If the router is hot improve air ventilation - for test purposes you could just put an ordinary fan to vent air on the device, and see if the problem is air related. Of course you'll have to test for a couple of hours/days to get a representative result.

Of course the possible reasons are plenty and a faulty line or troubles at the provider's side are always possible.

Hitting the "CONNECT" link does not solve the problem.

I just tried to simply disconnect and connect the power supply, and that works as well.

Was only waiting 5 minutes as this was an advise from Windows .....

Recommend you focus on ensuring you have the correct driver for your computer's wireless chip/device. And if you computer is a laptop, the correct driver becomes even more important; check your laptop's manufacturer's web site. And the latest and greatest driver for your wireless device/chip may not be the driver it works with.

The problem could very well be your reinstalled software "and drivers." If the router was working fine before you reloaded your software, chances are the router is still fine; however, your software/computer wireless chip driver reinstall is not optimized yet. When I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 back in Oct 09 I went through several weeks of trying to get my laptop's Toshiba-unique wireless chip drivers to work properly/hold onto the internet connection. I would maintain a wireless connection to the router but I would lose my internet connection from the router to the DSL modem/outside world. I could reboot the router, the DSL modem, "and/or" the computer and all was fine for a few more minutes and maybe several hours...but the problem would always come back.

That's excatly what happens over here.

When I reinstalled the software, I installled a dual-boot Linux / Windows 7.

Previously, I had Windows XP3/DOS/CPM/Telemcanique.

The Linux partition works fine.

But the Windows 7 partition says every time at bootup that there is a conflict between my Atheros Wireless and Wondows.

Tried several times to find the updated drivers for the Atheros, but until I cannot find them.

So, I'm working now with a Windows 7 without the drivers for my Atheros Wireless Network.

And here's how I fixed my problem, when I plugged in a US Robotics wireless PCMII card to the laptop's PCMII connector I got and maintained an internet connection no problem...the connection remained rock-steady. This caused me to think even more it was a Toshiba wireless driver problem/mismatch. Well, when I unplugged the US Robotics wireless card from my laptop, my laptop internal wireless chip (Intel 3945ABG) once again connected to my wireless router, BUT, it maintained the connection for minutes, hours, until I turned the computer off. Over the next few days my laptop connected/maintained solid internet connection.

Sounds easy.

I have an external USB Wireless, TP-Link TL-WN321S.

Will try that solution too.

Did you switched off you Wireless from your Laptop when you plugged in the US Robotics wireless?

I'm a'guessing by plugging-in/hooking-up another wireless router device somehow corrected some Windows registry setting/some setting in Windows that made my Toshiba wireless chip completely happy again. Been smooth/uninterrupted wireless internet connection since. My guess is you have a software/driver issue and not a hardware issue. Good luck in fixing it soon; it can be very frustrating I know.

Yes, veryyyyyy frustrating.

Specialy when Windows replies: "Please contact your network administrator".

I recommend to first identify the problem, and then try to solve it...

First you seemed pretty convinced that your wireless connection is still up, but the router loses the internet connection.

Now you tell us that Windows is reporting a driver problem with your wireless card and furthermore, that on your Linux system everything works fine.

You might try to install a Vista driver if no Windows 7 driver is available.

If you tell us the exact model, maybe somebody can find a Windows 7 driver. Or other reports of the same issue and how to resolve it.

To make sure that the Atheros driver is the culprit, you can connect your laptop with a different network card (wireless or even better cable), turn off the Atheros card with the hardware switch on your Laptop and see if the problem still persists.

I was talking about the CONNECT button in the web configuration interface of the router, NOT the connect button in the wireless options in the Windows dialog. The router's configuration interface is only accessible from a web browser, usually under

http://192.168.0.1

http://192.168.1.1

http://192.168.2.1

Btw it is pretty useful to know howto access your router's configuration interface. You might want to set a password if the router still uses the default password and configure your wireless connection to use encryption. Everything else is a disaster security wise.

I just tried to simply disconnect and connect the power supply, and that works as well.

If unplugging the router resolves the issue, then it points to a router problem. Does disabling and re-enabling the Atheros card (using the hardware switch on your Laptop) yield the same result?

Like I said before, if you know how to access your router's web configuration interface it will be easy to check if your wireless connection to your router is still working or not.

welo

Edited by welo

I recommend to first identify the problem, and then try to solve it...

That's what I am doing now.

First you seemed pretty convinced that your wireless connection is still up, but the router loses the internet connection.

Yes, my wireless connection between the PC and the router is still up.

But the connection between therouter and the Internet is lost.

(Read the complete analysis if the problem in the next post.)

Now you tell us that Windows is reporting a driver problem with your wireless card and furthermore, that on your Linux system everything works fine.

Yep. Incredible but true.

BTW, My Linux system is Solaris Sun 10.

You might try to install a Vista driver if no Windows 7 driver is available.

Unfortunatly, no drivers behind XP available for my Wireless card.

Neither from Windows nor from Acer.

If you tell us the exact model, maybe somebody can find a Windows 7 driver. Or other reports of the same issue and how to resolve it.

Read my complete analysis of the problem in my next post.

To make sure that the Atheros driver is the culprit, you can connect your laptop with a different network card (wireless or even better cable), turn off the Atheros card with the hardware switch on your Laptop and see if the problem still persists.

The problem is that this error comes up randomly, and if for example the error doesn't comes up after 24 hours of test with another hardware it doesn't mean that the problem is the modem.

I was talking about the CONNECT button in the web configuration interface of the router, NOT the connect button in the wireless options in the Windows dialog. The router's configuration interface is only accessible from a web browser, usually under

http://192.168.0.1

http://192.168.1.1

http://192.168.2.1

My router requires the web address "http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/webcm" to access the settings.

But everything seems normal in these settings.

Btw it is pretty useful to know howto access your router's configuration interface. You might want to set a password if the router still uses the default password and configure your wireless connection to use encryption. Everything else is a disaster security wise.

I did change the default password.

But I still use WEP encryption.

I know that WAP encryption offers more security, but not all devices which are communicating have a WAP encryption possiblity.

If unplugging the router resolves the issue, then it points to a router problem. Does disabling and re-enabling the Atheros card (using the hardware switch on your Laptop) yield the same result?

No.

Like I said before, if you know how to access your router's web configuration interface it will be easy to check if your wireless connection to your router is still working or not.

I checked already everything in my routers web configuration, and everything seems to be normal.

welo

OK,

For the NERD's reading this topic, a FULL analysis of the problem.

- Hardware:

Notebook Acer 2312NLCI_L

Wireless ADSL2+Router

Wireless modem card: PCI Atheros 5005 G

- Software: Windows 7 Ultimate

When Windows starts up, I get this message:

post-10254-1264994478_thumb.jpg

Hitting "Check for solutions online" returns with nothing found.

Hitting the "Run Program" button returns an error and returns the error display attached here.

Hitting the "Cancel" or the closing the error display closes the error display and the Wireless connection runs (possible with errors).

After running a random time without an error, the Icon in the taskbar is Redlined and connection with the Internet is lost.

Clicking on the Icon and clicking "Troubleshoot Problems" shows a graphic representation of the connection Computer-Router which is OK, and a graphic representation of the connection Router-Internet with a red cross indicating that the problem is between the Router and the Internet.

Looking up the report "NetworkDieagnostics.1.debugreport.xml" gives following file (see the red items):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="results.xsl"?>

<DebugReport SchemaVersion="1.0">

<Header>

<Data id="Time" name="Time">Sunday, January 10, 2010 22:06:22</Data>

<Data id="RunningAsAdmin" name="Running As Admin">false</Data>

<ComputerInformation name="NOTEBOOK">

<Data id="Version" name="Windows Version">6.1</Data>

<Data id="SKU" name="SKU">Client</Data>

<Data id="Architecture" name="Architecture">x86</Data>

</ComputerInformation>

<PackageInformation id="NetworkDiagnostics" name="Windows Network Diagnostics">

<Data id="Version" name="Package Version">1.0</Data>

<Data id="Publisher" name="Publisher">Microsoft Windows</Data>

<Data id="Description" name="Description">Detects problems with network connectivity.</Data>

</PackageInformation>

</Header>

<scripts>

<script name="NetworkDiagnosticsTroubleshoot.ps1">

<Data id="RunningTime" name="Running Time">719</Data>

<Parameters/>

<DetailedInformation>

<Detail id="SecurityBoundarySafe" name="Security Boundary Safe" verbosity="Debug">

<Data id="Description" name="Description"></Data>

<Contents>

<Objects>

<Object Type="System.String">SBS Data Retrieved: 20282074-A3D5-4E97-A7EE-C39C9863DFAF:0</Object>

</Objects>

</Contents>

</Detail>

<Detail id="ReuseSession" name="Reusing previous session" verbosity="Debug">

<Data id="Description" name="Description">

</Data>

<Contents>

<Objects>

<Object Type="System.String">Previous run's privilege level flag (0) matches our current level (IsAdmin:False). Determining whether it's appropriate to rerun.</Object>

</Objects>

</Contents>

</Detail>

<Detail id="SkipRerun" name="Skip Rerun" verbosity="Debug">

<Data id="Description" name="Description">

</Data>

<Contents>

<Objects>

<Object Type="System.String">Skipping rerun, previous session status (11) was not a verification failure. Will return same diagnosis as last session.</Object>

</Objects>

</Contents>

</Detail>

<Detail id="RootCausecount" name="Root Cause Count" verbosity="Debug">

<Data id="Description" name="Description">The following number of root causes were found.</Data>

<Contents>

<Objects>

<Object Type="System.UInt32">1</Object>

</Objects>

</Contents>

</Detail>

<Detail id="RootCauseFound" name="Root Cause Found" verbosity="Debug">

<Data id="Description" name="Description">A Root Cause was found.</Data>

<Contents>

<Objects>

<Object Type="System.String">ID:{A3344881-8C07-4BA0-8965-5F29CDE56820} Description:The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken. The network gateway is accessible, but Windows couldn’t receive network traffic from the Internet.</Object>

</Objects>

</Contents>

</Detail>

<Detail id="RootCauseParameters" name="Root Cause Parameters" verbosity="Debug">

<Data id="Description" name="Description">Root Cause {A3344881-8C07-4BA0-8965-5F29CDE56820} ({000000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000006}</Data>

<Contents>

<Objects>

<Object Type="System.Collections.Hashtable">

<Property Name="Key" Type="System.String">RepairName</Property><Property Name="Value" Type="System.String">Your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues</Property>

<Property Name="Key" Type="System.String">RepairID</Property>

<Property Name="Value" Type="System.String">{BCF544D9-CB72-42AE-A658-F5E51B73DBCF}</Property>

<Property Name="Key" Type="System.String">RootCauseName</Property><Property Name="Value" Type="System.String">The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken</Property>

<Property Name="Key" Type="System.String">RepairDescription</Property>

<Property Name="Value" Type="System.String">Restart your broadband modem:

1. Unplug or turn off the modem.

2. After all the lights on the modem are off, wait at least 10 seconds.

3. Turn the modem on or plug it back into the power outlet.

To restart a modem that has a built-in battery, press and quickly release the Reset button. If this doesn't fix the problem, contact your Internet service provider.</Property>

<Property Name="Key" Type="System.String">RootCauseDescription</Property>

<Property Name="Value" Type="System.String">The network gateway is accessible, but Windows couldn’t receive network traffic from the Internet.</Property>

<Property Name="Key" Type="System.String">RootCauseIndex</Property>

<Property Name="Value" Type="System.Int32">0</Property>

<Property Name="Key" Type="System.String">SBSData</Property>

<Property Name="Value" Type="System.String">20282074-A3D5-4E97-A7EE-C39C9863DFAF:0</Property>

</Object>

</Objects>

</Contents>

</Detail>

<Detail id="ScriptError" name="Script Error" verbosity="Debug">

<Data id="Description" name="Description">An error written by a cmdlet into the PowerShell error stream</Data>

<Contents><scriptError><Data id="ScriptName" name="Script">NetworkDiagnosticsTroubleshoot.ps1</Data>

<Data id="ScriptLine" name="Line Number">474</Data>

<Data id="ScriptColumn" name="Column Number">37</Data>

<Data id="ScriptErrorText" name="Error Text">EngineReturnedError,Microsoft.Windows.Diagnosis.Commands.UpdateDiagRootCause</Data>

</ScriptError>

</Contents>

</Detail>

</DetailedInformation>

</Script>

</Scripts>

<Functions>

<Function id="Initialize" name="Initialize">

<Data id="RunningTime" name="Running Time">375</Data>

<Data id="StatusCode" name="Status Code">0x0</Data>

<InputArguments>

<Data id="PackagePath" name="Path to Package">C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\networking</Data>

<Data id="Client" name="Callback Pointer">0x0019D918</Data>

<Data id="Answer" name="Interaction Responses"></Data>

</InputArguments><OutputArguments/>

</Function>

<Function id="Diagnose" name="Diagnose">

<Data id="RunningTime" name="Running Time">1750</Data>

<Data id="StatusCode" name="Status Code">0x0</Data>

<InputArguments/>

<OutputArguments>

<Data id="Result" name="Results">

<?xml version="1.0"?>

This is all the information I have been able to collect about the problem.

Just a thought? Maybe have a friend that has a laptop with wireless come to you're place and see how that one works. This will tell you if it's the router/modem or not.

The prpoblem is that the error condition only shows up randomly.

As far as I have been able to analyse the problem, the root cause is the wireless card which is not loaded correctly or even not loaded at all and which sends at random times requests to the router to access incorrect IP numbers causing the router to hang.

Just a thought? Maybe have a friend that has a laptop with wireless come to you're place and see how that one works. This will tell you if it's the router/modem or not.

The prpoblem is that the error condition only shows up randomly.

As far as I have been able to analyse the problem, the root cause is the wireless card which is not loaded correctly or even not loaded at all and which sends at random times requests to the router to access incorrect IP numbers causing the router to hang.

Thanks for the concise info. I now see that you did a good job analyzing the problem, sorry to think that you didn't. We are definitely on track now to solve the problem :)

Just a view thoughts:

• I'm still not sure whether the troubles are directly related to the wireless card. There is still the chance that you have two problems, one is an old driver, the other a router that loses connection. But at the moment your analysis that the driver messes up and causes the router to stall seems to be likely.
  • I agree that the randomness of the problem makes it hard to troubleshoot. That's why we'll have to be careful to not jump to conclusions to quickly.
  • This brings me back to your other OS, Sun Solaris. Do you spend enough time working on it to be sure that the problem does not show up?
  • I will try to find more info on the Atheros card and Windows 7, maybe I'm lucky.
  • And once more my question from my first post. When your connection drops, can you still access the router's web interface. Is the router still responsive. What is the status of your ADSL connection? Can you ping the router on the command line?
  • Did you check the error rates on your ADSL line, can you post the values for SNR and noise.
  • I doubt that the problem is related to the wifi connection (the wireless signal, the channel, ..) - however, I don't have enough experience on Windows 7 to be 100% sure how reliable the Windows 7 error diagnosis really is.

I recommend the following strategy:

• Try to solve the driver issue (well, sure..)
  • At the same time keep pinning down whether it's really the Atheros card causing the troubles. If it's possible use a different network card (cable!) for a couple of days.
  • Check the line quality and router logs to rule out troubles with the line or your provider.

welo

OK, I've got something for you:

Source 1

X-Drivers.com has Windows 7 drivers for Atheros cards. Surely these are not official drivers, but I checked on the website and it seems to be OK. Usually I would be wary of this site, but it has no negative rating on WOT or McAffee's SiteAdvisor, and there are many references to it on user forums without warning comments from other users. E.g. this one from the MS forums at technet - which doesn't make it an official link from MS at all, but I guess it should be safe to try them.

http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/w...dels/index.html

Make sure you select the exact model of your card.

Source 2

www.atheros.cz has Vista drivers for Atheros cards. Again, this is not an official site with official drivers, but I didn't find any warnings about this website either.

This one is just an ini file. You have to save the file on the harddrive, then right-click to install, or click update driver from the Device Manager.

If the driver in 1 doesn't work you might want to ask somebody for more advice on installing this ini file. I know supernova is really keen on them :)

http://www.atheros.cz/ (click the tick in the vista column)

Attention!

Create a restore point before trying the new drivers, or maybe even better, also do a complete system image. Windows 7 supports this out-of-the-box.

You might want to uninstall the old driver before if they show up in the list of installed software.

I checked the drivers for viruses with Avira, Malwarebytes and A-Square

If anybody can comment on the trustworthiness of the mentioned websites, that would be very much appreciated!

welo

Thanks a lot, welo.

Will try to install the Windows 7 drivers and see what happens.

About your prevous post. the Solaris Sun system recognized my wireless card and router immediatly and installed both without asking 1 question.

The strange thing is that when I boot Solaris up, no error messages comes up about my wireless card an the connection stays rocksteady.

Don't want to put my hands in the fire for it, but it surely seems that the error is related to Windows and the missing drivers.

Yeap, focus on the correct driver for your laptop operating under Windows. Laptops use a lot of laptop manufacturer-specific drivers since many laptops are uniquely made and not generic in nature like desktops. And the driver that works properly with your laptop may be several years old and designated as a Vista driver. Even with my Toshiba laptop using the Intel 3945ABG wireless chip when I was still using Vista and automatic Windows update, I had to pay particular attention in "not" letting Windows automatically install an updated wireless chip driver that Windows automatically figured (guessed) should would work fine--but it didn't.

Laptops can be "driver pain!"; and they become even more of a pain if your laptop manufacturer stops providing updates for any laptop approx 3 or more year old--like Toshiba started doing late last year. AND if your laptop has a built-in BlueTooth wireless chip you will need to ensure that driver is properly loaded, as that can mess up the correct loading of your wireless chip/router driver.

IMHO, smooth and easy wireless operation/setup still has a way to go to reach the "always works stage of maturity," regardless of the advertising hype put out by operating system/computer manufacturers.

I have installed the drivers, but the problem with the driver being uncompatible persist.

But a strange thing happens now:

If I login as "Adminstrator", no error screen shows up and all the drivers are loaded without problem.

If I login as "Coalminer (Administrator rights)", the error shows up.

Strange indeed .....

PS.: The driver shows the same version on both logins.

Well, not too strange.

We've just had a discussion about the differences between the built-in Administrator account and the standard account with Administrator privileges. (At least) one of the differences is that UAC is disabled with the first.

Considering the error message it might just be that this one application, ACU.exe, is not compatible with UAC.

I just googled ACU.exe and I wonder whether this app is necessary for getting the wireless card working anyway. Usually wireless cards come with the bare driver plus additional software, mostly a tool for managing connections. Under XP the latter would replace Windows' own Wireless Zero Config Service. Maybe ACU.exe is non-essential and you should just not start it (see below)

From here I cannot give you detailed instructions, just a general direction where to go.

I would make sure that any previous software and driver is uninstalled, and then maybe try to install the new driver again.

Also check when this ACU.exe is run, maybe it's just a normal application that runs on startup - run msconfig.exe and search in the 'startup' panel for a matching entry, then remove it.

Did the installer actually do something? Did it have any options to install the driver only without a client tool?

Did you see whether it copied the driver files somewhere, maybe it didn't really install the driver, just copy the files.

welo

Well, not too strange.

We've just had a discussion about the differences between the built-in Administrator account and the standard account with Administrator privileges. (At least) one of the differences is that UAC is disabled with the first.

Considering the error message it might just be that this one application, ACU.exe, is not compatible with UAC.

Right.

ACU is not compatible with UAC.

I just googled ACU.exe and I wonder whether this app is necessary for getting the wireless card working anyway. Usually wireless cards come with the bare driver plus additional software, mostly a tool for managing connections. Under XP the latter would replace Windows' own Wireless Zero Config Service. Maybe ACU.exe is non-essential and you should just not start it (see below)

Apparently it is not indispensable for Windows to run my wireless card as the card is up and running.

But if the card is running the right way without ACU is another question.

From here I cannot give you detailed instructions, just a general direction where to go.

I would make sure that any previous software and driver is uninstalled, and then maybe try to install the new driver again.

The previous driver was completely uninstalled before installing the new one.

Also check when this ACU.exe is run, maybe it's just a normal application that runs on startup - run msconfig.exe and search in the 'startup' panel for a matching entry, then remove it.

I have "What's running" and this application shows the ACU is not loaded due to an incompatibility with Windows 7.

Maybe that is the cause for the malfunctioning of the router.

Did the installer actually do something? Did it have any options to install the driver only without a client tool?

The new drivers are installed.

The tool also, but the tool is only accessible as "Administrator".

Did you see whether it copied the driver files somewhere, maybe it didn't really install the driver, just copy the files.

No, the updated drivers are really installed as I can see them if I right-click on the wireless icon and ask the propierties of the wireless card.

welo

The problem is apparently gone.

Did not show up anymore.

Where to go from here if the problem reappears:

1. Login as administrator and see if the problem appears there as well.

2. Live with the problem and wait for an update.

3. Run Solaris.

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully the driver problem is gone but don't assume the problem is fixed because your system works fine for a few hours, overnight or even for a few days. Give it a week to be sure. When I was having my wireless driver problem, there was a few cases where my system would work fine for a full day and once for almost three days...then the problem came back. And I hadn't loaded any new software/drivers; I had only been browsing/emailing.

Would recommend you stress the connection by just doing a lot of browsing to different sites, especially sites that always seem to take longer than others to connect/load. And it seemed a broken link web site (can't find web site) would have a high chance of causing a disconnect. When I was having my problem before it seemed this type of browsing easily caused my problem to come back.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you; hopefully your problem is fixed...it very well could be. Cheers.

Hopefully the driver problem is gone but don't assume the problem is fixed because your system works fine for a few hours, overnight or even for a few days. Give it a week to be sure. When I was having my wireless driver problem, there was a few cases where my system would work fine for a full day and once for almost three days...then the problem came back. And I hadn't loaded any new software/drivers; I had only been browsing/emailing.

Would recommend you stress the connection by just doing a lot of browsing to different sites, especially sites that always seem to take longer than others to connect/load. And it seemed a broken link web site (can't find web site) would have a high chance of causing a disconnect. When I was having my problem before it seemed this type of browsing easily caused my problem to come back.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you; hopefully your problem is fixed...it very well could be. Cheers.

The problem seems to have gone with installing the drivers for Windows 7.

Although, ACU program is not accepted when logged in as "Coalminer".

Had a batchfile running the whole night where a random website was called and closed after 20 minutes.

No problems with the stablity of the connection YET.

But as the ACU program seems to be accepted when logged in as "Administrator", I am now in the proces to try to transfer all my files and settings to the "Administrator" account and give up the "Coalminer" account.

Moreover, as the UCA does not accept full "Administrator" rights onto another accout.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh ......................

Windows ..........

What would life be monotone if we didn't had the daily problems to keep us busy .............

Glad it worked out for you!

I recommend to just forget about the ACU.exe. My guess is that you don't need it anyway.

acu.exe is a process belonging to the Atheros Client Utility (ACU) which is a program that allows additional for configuration and diagnostic functions on HP and Toshiba's range of wireless communication devices.

Since Windows XP days all wireless card drivers conform to a unified model in order for Windows to be able to use and configure them. This includes connection management, profile mgmt, entering and storing passwords for encryption, choosing the order of preferred networks, and maybe a few things more.

The client specific tools usually offer the same functionality in a different or maybe more sophisticated way, and sometimes additional options that are not part of the unified driver model, but as an ordinary home user I dare say you don't need those. I personally never use them and deactivate them to save resources and keep my systray clean :)

I do NOT recommend to switch to the built-in Administrator account, mainly for security reasons. I told you we had a discussion about this the other day here on the forum, and it seems not entirely clear what the exact differences are. On the net you will find a lot of buzz and fuss around this account, mostly people post how you can activate it, but only view talk about what is actually different with this account.

My knowledge so far: the built-in administrator has UAC disabled (completely, not just set to the lowest notification level). Of course this avoids problems related to old software not compatible with UAC. However, this is actually not a weakness of Windows 7 but of the software component that causes the troubles. The whole concept of UAC was introduced to make applications behave better and not require full administrator privileges all the time even for mundane tasks. This was one of the main reasons why it was difficult to implement a good user and permission based security concept on Windows XP, because many apps would just not work on a non-Administrator account (been there, tried that).

While UAC is sometimes annoying, I personally like to know what is going on security wise. It informs me when applications request permissions to change the system, and - having a background as programmer and administrator - I support MS' efforts to introduce a tighter security concept and impose stricter rules on applications and application developers.

Btw, if you really don't like UAC you can have it disabled for all administrator accounts, not only for the built-in one. I guess your coalminer account will then behave the same. But again, I don't recommend it. Since you had a virus infection a couple of months ago, you might want to re-think whether you really don't need that extra bit of security :D

And another sidenote: for UAC to be of real use you HAVE to set it to the tightest level, otherwise it opens a door for malware to work around it.

welo

Glad it worked out for you!

Thanks again for the link to the updated driviers.

13 hours up now and rocksteady.

I recommend to just forget about the ACU.exe. My guess is that you don't need it anyway.

acu.exe is a process belonging to the Atheros Client Utility (ACU) which is a program that allows additional for configuration and diagnostic functions on HP and Toshiba's range of wireless communication devices.

Since Windows XP days all wireless card drivers conform to a unified model in order for Windows to be able to use and configure them. This includes connection management, profile mgmt, entering and storing passwords for encryption, choosing the order of preferred networks, and maybe a few things more.

The client specific tools usually offer the same functionality in a different or maybe more sophisticated way, and sometimes additional options that are not part of the unified driver model, but as an ordinary home user I dare say you don't need those. I personally never use them and deactivate them to save resources and keep my systray clean :)

In the XP days, I used ACU a lot of times to see a lot of information about the signal/noise ratios between my PC and the router and other vital information that was not available from my router.

But I can live without it.

I do NOT recommend to switch to the built-in Administrator account, mainly for security reasons. I told you we had a discussion about this the other day here on the forum, and it seems not entirely clear what the exact differences are. On the net you will find a lot of buzz and fuss around this account, mostly people post how you can activate it, but only view talk about what is actually different with this account.

My knowledge so far: the built-in administrator has UAC disabled (completely, not just set to the lowest notification level). Of course this avoids problems related to old software not compatible with UAC. However, this is actually not a weakness of Windows 7 but of the software component that causes the troubles. The whole concept of UAC was introduced to make applications behave better and not require full administrator privileges all the time even for mundane tasks. This was one of the main reasons why it was difficult to implement a good user and permission based security concept on Windows XP, because many apps would just not work on a non-Administrator account (been there, tried that).

And many applications I have, don't run at all under Windwos 7.

For example, my printer, a Brother DCP-150C comes with a software package bundled.

Worked fine under Windows XP but refused installion of Paperport in Windws 7.

While UAC is sometimes annoying, I personally like to know what is going on security wise. It informs me when applications request permissions to change the system, and - having a background as programmer and administrator - I support MS' efforts to introduce a tighter security concept and impose stricter rules on applications and application developers.

I surely applaud the idea to put in more security restrictions to avoid from f...cking up the whole system by unexperienced users who wants to show off.

But for more experienced users, the UAC can be a real pain in the ass.

The same with my mobile phone.

I bought recetly a new Nokia cellphone and had to come to the conclusions that 99% of my programs didn't work anymore.

The new Symbian software requires that all applications should be digitally signed before you are allowed to upload them.

A lot of (cracked) applications which I used almost continuosly every day were promoted in 1 day to the trash bin.

Btw, if you really don't like UAC you can have it disabled for all administrator accounts, not only for the built-in one. I guess your coalminer account will then behave the same. But again, I don't recommend it. Since you had a virus infection a couple of months ago, you might want to re-think whether you really don't need that extra bit of security :D

The UAC will not prevent virusses or other malware to infest my system if they want.

But the UAC can help virusses and other malware to infest my system and prevent me for doing something against it.

A few years ago, a friend wrote me that he had a virus in his computer and his virus scanner deleted it.

But it kept coming back.

So, I suggested to him to "crack" the secuirty in the "System Volume Information" and to run again the virus scanner.

BINGO!!!!

The virus had copied itself into the "System Volume Information" and as this volume was not accessible to anybody, most virus scanners simply didn't try to scan this volume.

And another sidenote: for UAC to be of real use you HAVE to set it to the tightest level, otherwise it opens a door for malware to work around it.

There are everyday a lot of viruses coming out and a lot of them bypass the UAC like butter under the sun.

So the UAC is of no use against virusses or othat malware.

If Windows wants to bring a 99% safe OS on the market, they should make "Tabula Rassa" with the old Windows and write a complete new kind of Windows where vital information is processed in a partition which is not accessible to anyone or anything and which is removed everytime someone log-off.

What they are doing now, is piss off more Windows users and pushing them to other Operating Systems.

Windows played with the idea to don't allow anymore anything to stored in the Windws folder (Windows 2000) but instead to store all the programs in their own folder.

Kind of similar as the old DOS.

This way, if something would go wrong, the user had only to reinstall the Windows folder and everything would be fine.

But due to complaints from the software houses, they kept the old system.

Windows is like a horse with 3 legs which is carried around in every release because there are too much people making money of the old horse and they don't want to lose that money.

welo

Not sure you are correct about the complete inefficiency of UAC. But I don't have enough knowledge or data to back up a position either in favor or against UAC. I doubt the issue is not of the black or white kind.

If you like to toy around with your PC you might want to check out running XP on a Virtual Machine inside Windows 7. Microsoft offers 'Windows XP Mode' which is actually VirtualPC running a XP harddrive image which contains a free XP license if you own Windows 7 (Ultimate and some other versions). USB support is said to be pretty good in this version of VirtualPC, performance however is said to be inferior to other virtualization software - I am running VirtualBox. Of course you will require some extra RAM.

There is a nice 'Undo Disk' feature in VirtualPC, and VirtualBox supports 'snapshots' of the virtual machine (and its harddrives) that you can easily rollback to.

I guess you are not that wrong about virtualization playing a bigger part in the future. I heard many voices echoing that and it makes absolutely sense to me.

welo

Hi,

Netstumbler will show you what wireless channels are in use in yhour area,

and help you decide if a change is needed

Channel 6 is usually the default on the router.