Please Help- Thailand Virgins!

superhaz

Hi.

There are 3 of us travelling to Thailand, on June 14th for 3 and a half weeks. None of us have been to Thailand before so need a fair bit of help!

First of all, one of my friends is keen on paying for a tour before we go, such as a northern thailand tour which ends up costing about £450 for 10 days. Is this advisable, or is it better value to make a plan yourself, and would this be easy for people like us?

Our possible plan was to Travel for about 9-10 days in land then move to the islands for the rest of the time there, how does this sound?

We are not going to book any hotels before we go and just sort it out when we get there, is this ok also?

Our budget will likely to be around £800-£1000 each for 3 and a half weeks, is this a good amount too?

What kind of places would be good for us to travel too, especially considering we are students and all outgoing, will be looking to meet loads of people, go out drinking a few times, but also sample the cultural side.

Any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks

There's a down turn in tourist numbers in Thailand, so lots of good discounts available, I won't pre book anything, shop around when you get there. Plus, you are arriving in the off season i.e. wet season, so things should be very cheap.

All prices in Thailand are negotiable, watch out for scammers.

Hello.

Three weeks will give you some time to make your own arrangemnts. I would advise you to avoid a tour as once you,re commited you are stuck with it.

Read up as much as possible and ask as many questions , this forum will give you loads of info. Do a forum search on places you will like to visit.

June is probably one of the hottest months in which to visit Thailand, again check out the regional climates as the country varies quite a bit.

Travel is easy and cheap, hotels you get what you pay for and there are so many to choose from. You can look around hotels , again I have pre-booked in the past only to find that it was a mistake and the place you really want to be in is ,,say 5 km up the road.

Travelling by yourself will make the trip more of an adventure rather than being carted around by a tour company. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. As you say you are outgoing , maybe a tour will make you feel that you dont have your freedom.

On the other hand, the ( sometimes) stress of sorting out travel plans and accommodation will be avoided by taking a tour.

Your budget sounds good.

Most important is the ability to smile , a lot.

Have a good time!!!

I would pre-book the 10 days in the North, 450 is not expensive.

You don't speak the language so better have it organized for you, as you will read on many forums they have less tourists arriving at Thailand that doesnt mean that the prices are going down every where(every where else it does but not in Thailand).

You still have 14 days to do and organize things by yourseld that is time enough.

as they WARN YOU ALREADY BE AWARE OF SCAMS.

When arrived at the Airport take a public taxi (first lesson)

Enjoy your stay

Many thanks on the replies, it is a real help!

Is it easy to sort out tours once you get there? The worry was for us, was because we are pretty outgoing and adventurous that we would be tied down....

Is it easy to travel around Thailand considering we are just 3 english people? I'm 100% sure we are capable of arranging a "route" in thailand, however how expensive would trains be and also is it easy to get the right trains?

Also, I have heard very mixed reviews on Bangkok, ranging from very good to bad. How many days would you advise to stay there, we were thinking maybe 2/3 at the start of our trip and the same at the end (as we are flying to and from there).

Also, could you give me a little insight into the alcoholic drinks that are popular over there and any possible nightlife, I have heard the full moon party is a must and also there are areas in Bangkok which we would like to sample.

I would arrange only the first 2 days and maybe the last. Just out of convenience. The rest you can do once you are in Thailand.

Travel light! No use carrying to much luggage around. After a few tries i got it down to only one carry-on bag. You zip through customs and getting on trains/buses/taxis is so much easier.

Thailand is the easiest country to travel around in. Just take a little care and research the prices.

Needforspeed's first lesson is an important one. I offer a second one. Inspect every hotel room before you take it and pay!

Sometimes it is best to have a look at a few and then decide which one is best. In a very touristy place (Pattaya, Phuket) it sometimes helps to get out of the taxi a little away from the hotel you take. You would not want the room price to include a bonus for the taxi.

Yes tours are easy to arrange, there are many travel agents just shop around for the best deal. As for travel there are many buses and bus stations, usually the air conditioned buses would be your best bet, slightly more expensive but still cheap. To give an idea, I paid 120 baht for a 178 km journey one way recently, less than £2.50.

Advice given by the US embassy to their staff is to sit about two thirds of the way back on the left hand side of the bus in day time, reasoning being to avoid a head on from some lunatic overtaking on a blind spot the driver will swerve to the left. Any impact will be on the right hand side away from you.

Try to avoid travel at night but if you must travel, 2/3's of the way back on the right hand side. Reasoning being , many buses and trucks break down in the most inconvenient of places, therefore the driver will swerve to the right to avoid a potential collision and any impact will be on the LHS of the bus again away from you. In day time the broken down vehicles are easier to spot are easier to spot therefore collisions are less likely.

I read this information recently and thought it good advice from people who had researched the subject.

Have a great time

You should just go to the hotel stands at the airport, find a hotel there for 2-3 nights in Bangkok at the start of your trip... They will also throw in a trip to the floating market and a very pushy tour guide (welcome to Thailand)...

Then after those first few days you will have learned that you can easily make do with your own brains...

Not booking anything will just make the tour nicer and more relaxing.

The trip to the north, well, find the bus station and take the bus up there. I think 450 pounds sounds like a lot... if you are here on a budget of 1000 pounds...

Tours everywhere around Thailand are easy to find on Kaosan Road, don't worry, THEY will find you!!!

Good luck...

ps... Be careful, there are many scams out there for greenhorns like yourself!!! (be outgoing, but be carefull)...

Again, many thanks for the help, I am very happy for the great information you have given me.

One final thing, can someone tell me a little bit more about the social aspect as regards to the bars/clubs. In places like Bangkok I expect there to be many clubs etc and less elsewhere. However on areas such as the islands where we will be travelling, what are they like for bars etc?

Also, what are the prices like for your standard kind of drinks at these places?

Small advice for the language barrier, if one of you has an iPhone, download the app "iPoodThai", it gives great assistance for communicating, it says the sentence and writes it, vaulable tool and should not cost more than a few bucks.

Yes tours are easy to arrange, there are many travel agents just shop around for the best deal. As for travel there are many buses and bus stations, usually the air conditioned buses would be your best bet, slightly more expensive but still cheap. To give an idea, I paid 120 baht for a 178 km journey one way recently, less than £2.50.

Advice given by the US embassy to their staff is to sit about two thirds of the way back on the left hand side of the bus in day time, reasoning being to avoid a head on from some lunatic overtaking on a blind spot the driver will swerve to the left. Any impact will be on the right hand side away from you.

Try to avoid travel at night but if you must travel, 2/3's of the way back on the right hand side. Reasoning being , many buses and trucks break down in the most inconvenient of places, therefore the driver will swerve to the right to avoid a potential collision and any impact will be on the LHS of the bus again away from you. In day time the broken down vehicles are easier to spot are easier to spot therefore collisions are less likely.

I read this information recently and thought it good advice from people who had researched the subject.

Have a great time

Good advice! :)

I might add, always try to get a gov't bus, not a private one, for long distance travel in the Kingdom,

less chance of theft of your luggage in the cargo hold.

Carry your passport or a photocopy of the main page at all times.

It's one of the scams run by the police to fine you, no receipt.

Just one of many scams by the cops here.

Search "scams" throughout the Thai Visa forum.

Edited by GungaDin

Have a great time

Good advice! :)

I might add, always try to get a gov't bus, not a private one, for long distance travel in the Kingdom,

less chance of theft of your luggage in the cargo hold.

Carry your passport or a photocopy of the main page at all times.

It's one of the scams run by the police to fine you, no receipt.

Just one of many scams by the cops here.

Search "scams" throughout the Thai Visa forum.

never ever has a problem with nca, they give you a receipt for your luggage and the service on vip and 1st class is very good.

bars are anywhere where there are people, as for prices the answer is what is your poison?

do scams exist? yes of course! but dont worry about them and dont let the thought of them ruin a great holiday, relax and chill.

i would do most things independantly perhaps booking some of your hotels or at least first nights on the internet.

feel free to pm me for specific suggestions

However on areas such as the islands where we will be travelling, what are they like for bars etc?

Also, what are the prices like for your standard kind of drinks at these places?

A small beer anything between 60 Baht and 200 Baht maybe even higher. You do not say if you are Male or Female but if you allow yourself to be sucked into buying "Lady Drinks" it can be an expensive night out.

Alchohol is not cheap.

I would pre-book the 10 days in the North, 450 is not expensive.

You don't speak the language so better have it organized for you, as you will read on many forums they have less tourists arriving at Thailand that doesnt mean that the prices are going down every where(every where else it does but not in Thailand).

You still have 14 days to do and organize things by yourseld that is time enough.

as they WARN YOU ALREADY BE AWARE OF SCAMS.

When arrived at the Airport take a public taxi (first lesson)

Enjoy your stay

That is a very good one: beware of scams, take a taxi!

Beware of scams, take the bus into Bangkok, Lines AE1 til AE4, look up the routes on this here internet.

Or maybe the Raillink will be running in June, then take that!

For organising your trip, don't prebook, try to find out yourself, ask on this TV.

Stay away from Tuktuks, taxis only when the meter is switched on (no meter, stop, get out, next one!)

Use the train for long distance, or if you like, ask around for the good buscompanies to where you want to go on this site.

And: please visit the Isan?

Good luck

Hmm, lots of pretty ropey advice here...

Don't book anything in advance - it's low season, nothing will be full. £450 for a tour? Are you people nuts???

My advice is:

1. Get a taxi from the airport to KSR (500b) - this is a backpackers delight (or hel_l for the rest of us), where there'll be thousands of irritating student types for you to talk excitedly at. Look around a few guesthouses - there are dozens - find one that suites you. 300-1000b/night, depending on quality.

2. Do the usual bangkok crap for a couple of days.

3. Head up to Chiang Mai by overnight train (you may well have to book this a few days in advance) 7-800b.

4. Do the usual CM crap for a couple of days. (rooms 4-800b)

5. Take a trek for a few days if that sort of thing floats your boat - plenty of travel agents around. It's easy to get to the hill-tribe areas/Laos etc.

6. Fly down to Phuket from CM - Look out for cheapies/sales on Air Asia's website - 2000b if you're lucky. Get a metered taxi to Patong Beach (exit airport, turn right, keep walking til you see the booth - around 450b - like everywhere in thailand, make sure the driver puts the meter on)

7. Party harty in Patong Beach for a few days - you'll be able to get really reasonable guesthouses for 500b a night. Get a taxi (400b) to Kata Beach/Kata Noi if you want to do some snorkelling etc

8. Get the ferry to Phi Phi for a day or two (500b ish). Take a boat tour for snorkelling/kayaking.

9. Get the ferry to Krabi and chill in Ao Nang & Railey (500b ish).

10. You can get a bus from Krabi town to surat thani (200b) - from there you can get an overnight ferry to KPN and the full moon parties.

11. Return to surat for the overnight train to Bangkok (800b). A couple of days on sukhumvit is fun - check out laterooms or similar and look for a hotel on the BTS line. Rooms will be more expensive - 1500b for Nana Ibis, for example - but are better quality if you're planning on entertaining etc.

This route can be done in reverse - best to check the FMP dates and work around that. Although not a tour that'll please the purists, it offers a broad range of thailand without breaking the bank.

Beers are most expensive in BKK (esp sukhumvit), cheapest in CM. General rule of thumb is, the more fun the place the more it's going to cost.

Don't worry about scams etc - just don't do drugs and don't act like a dick. Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

Right, we're not allowed to discuss the more interesting elements of thailand on this forum, so PM me or look elsewhere - plenty of other sites that cater for that.

Little Piggy I have to congratulate you That Plan makes the best use of the time available.

If you follow that You will not be disappointed.

I have done it but it took me 2 years to get around to fitting it in Don't forget to Book the overnight train to Chang mai

Lower bunks best.

Suggest you purchase and read one of the many guide books on Thailand such as LP or RG as this will give you a lot of information.

If you go to the big tourist islands such as Koh Samui and Phuket (mainly in Patong), you will find lots of bars and nightlife including discos. Other islands tend to be much quieter but you will find a few bars to spend the evenings. Bangkok has a huge amount of nightlife for every possible taste. Pattaya is a crazy place which you will either love or hate depending upon your taste.

For hotels, definitely worth checking the discount websites such as agoda and latestays to get an idea of costs and the quality of hotels available. Much better value for money than Europe or US. Really cheap bungalows are generally available at most locations but these are generally better booked when you get there, particularly as you are travelling in the off season, since it is better to view before you stay, to make sure quality/cleanliness is everything it is claimed to be!

WRT budget, it is almost possible to enjoy yourself on any budget on Thailand - depends on what lifestyle you are used to or what experiences you want in Thailand (tours/trips, beach, type of transport, quality of hotels, type of food, bars/clubs, ladies etc etc). Drinks will be 60-200THB. You can eat a good meal for as little as 100THB (or less!) if you like Thai food and are OK with the many basic but good, small, local restaurants/cafes

I would probably book 2-3 nights in BKK before you arrive and plan possible places you want to visit, but then finalise your travel arrangements when you are here as it will give you much more flexibility to move on when you wish, and will not be more expensive than booking beforehand.

You do need to be careful about scams etc. but it is perfectly possible to do it by using some good judgement and practical common sense.

Generally, if not travelling by air, people travel by bus rather than train, as the train network is limited and slow. However, some of the train journies can be great fun (eg. BKK-Kanchanaburi (Bridge on River Kwai), BKK- Chiang Mai with the last stretch to Chiang Mai in daylight. You can view train timetables etc if you google Thailand railway or something similar

• 4 months later...

Maybe another thing you could consider is 190 kms east of Bangkok you have a great island called Koh Samet. Its about 3 hours on the bus or 2 hours in a taxi. Great island for chilling out nice beaches relatively cheap accomodation. Other things you can do if yr up for it is the tree top canopy half day tour which is near to the city (15 minutes) of Ban Phe which is the jump point for Koh Samet Island. If you need help and you want to stop by Bedrock Guesthouse is located in Ban Phe on the beach road. U can click on our banner add on this forum for more details

Cheers Mark

Maybe another thing you could consider is 190 kms east of Bangkok you have a great island called Koh Samet. Its about 3 hours on the bus or 2 hours in a taxi. Great island for chilling out nice beaches relatively cheap accomodation. Other things you can do if yr up for it is the <b>tree top canopy half day tour</b> which is near to the city (15 minutes) of Ban Phe which is the jump point for Koh Samet Island. If you need help and you want to stop by Bedrock Guesthouse is located in Ban Phe on the beach road. U can click on our banner add on this forum for more details

Cheers Mark

What is so good about koh sa met ?

I found it quite bad (the beaches) compared to the south of thailand or samui or even ko chang.

Maybe another thing you could consider is 190 kms east of Bangkok you have a great island called Koh Samet. Its about 3 hours on the bus or 2 hours in a taxi. Great island for chilling out nice beaches relatively cheap accomodation. Other things you can do if yr up for it is the <b>tree top canopy half day tour</b> which is near to the city (15 minutes) of Ban Phe which is the jump point for Koh Samet Island. If you need help and you want to stop by Bedrock Guesthouse is located in Ban Phe on the beach road. U can click on our banner add on this forum for more details

Cheers Mark

I found it quite bad (the beaches) compared to the south of thailand or samui or even ko chang.

Koh Samet is a f*kcing dump.... Ban Phe away from the town center is actually better......IMHO

The best island around the area is actually Koh Chang as you have indicated, but even that is starting to go down the toilet, first time I went there 9 years ago, there wasnt even an ATM on the Island, most places would not take credit cards and you had to get all your money in Trat, was a great place to get away for the weekend, but these days with all the development, not so sure on it now..

Go with little piggy.

Don't book anything in advance apart from the air ticket to Thailand

Don't book any trips except in the town of the start of trip.

All the booking agents add about 20 percent to cost of everytinng.

Example

Book a hotel room through an agent 600bht, book at hotel reception 500bht

Avoid Koh Samat (boring for more than 1 night), Phuket (rip off prices) Soutpeel is right, if you must Koh Chang is better.

Go to Krabi (very pretty and scenic), Phi phi

Up North,

Chiang Mai, almost everywhere speaks English (Top North Guest House, Moon Muang soi 2, fan room 250bht a night twin or 300bht for 3 beds in one room, good swimming pool)

Chiang Rai, smaller but a center for students and backpackers (Boombadung guest house next to Temple 250bht a night)

Edited by sarahsbloke

Cheers Mark

its close to bangkok, 7 beaches, plenty of accomodation, not much rain in rainy season, clean waters, food is good. I guess its up to the individual!!!

Cheers Mark

its close to bangkok, 7 beaches, plenty of accomodation, not much rain in rainy season, clean waters, food is good. I guess its up to the individual!!!

True its up to the individual, but after having been in most beaches in Thailand i must say its one of the worst beaches in Thailand (Pattaya is worse). But then again i rate beaches after how good the snorkeling is and how clear the water is.

I would say Worst to Best

Pattaya

Ko Sa Met

Ko Chang

Ko Kood

Ko Sa Mui

Ko Tao

Ko phi phi

Ko Bulon

Ko lipe

Ko Similan (but the accomedations are real bad there)

Your comment about food.. i would say the food is good everywhere. But yes its up to the individual, my gf was in Ko Sa Met a few weeks ago and i would not want to be caught dead over there. I once went there because it was either that or pattaya and did some diving and snorkling there and it was absolutely the worst ever. Almost no visibility (granted that can change at times)

Edited by robblok

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to say, I'm going to Thailand day after tomorrow and have literally planned nothing (not rubbish, got stuck away with work and only just got back!). I'm basing my (loose) plan on numerous friends' comments and its really reassuring to see everything confirmed here. Particularly useful getting an idea of what I should be paying for accommodation and how to get from BKK to the centre (since BKK is where my planning currently ends...!).

One thing I'd like to know; It being rainy season, should I avoid Krabi/Phuket/Ko Phi Phi and only visit the Gulf islands? I was planning on flying straight to Krabi and doing Phuket and Ko Phi Phi and then going across to Surat Thani and doing Ko Samui/KPN/Ko Tao. But I could just fly straight to Ko Samui and skip Krabi etc if its gonna be dead because of seasonal weather. I'm travelling alone (sniff!).

Then I was planning on getting the ferry from Ko Tao to Chumphon, then the train north. Is there a way to get a ferry across to Ko Chang, or do I have to go via Bangkok?

Also, I'd like to go to Nong Khai, Phitsanulok (have a friend there, don't know if it's fun at all!?) and Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, before going back to Bangkok. Any suggestions on best way to put all that together?

Actually, sounds like I've done more planning than I thought!

One last thing, how easy is it to visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia? I've heard crossing the border is straight forward, but the guy who told me that also reckons dogs can't look up...rolleyes.gif

There is a bus on the ground floor of BKK, 120bht (ish) to Koe San road, plenty of hotels about 600-800bht a night (choose one with a swimming pool). Insist on seeing the room before paying any cash.

Krabi is just about the most scenic place in the world, miss anywhere except Krabi, 500bht a night (ish)

BKK to Chiangmai 2000bht by air, 600bht by overnight bus. I quite like either but not the white persons backpacker bus, use the THAI VIP bus, much nicer.

ChiangMai fan room, 250bht a night, aircon 500bht .... Top North guest House in MoonMung Soi 2 has a nice pool but the rooms are a little 'tired'.

Not much at ChaingRai unless you are a backpacker, CM has the same stuff but 10x the size.

You can get bus and ferry to Ko Chang from BKK.

You could always stop off at Pattaya and 'find' a 'travelling companion'.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Airport to downtown by airport bus is OK if there is only one person. For two or more, it's economical (may cost 40-50 baht more per pax than bus) to take a taxi direct to your hotel. Three makes a taxi a real winner.

Piengrudee, Thailand virgins???? That'd be an oxymoron!!

Edited by F4UCorsair