3. aroi jung loei

4. aroi mak mak

5. aroi jing jing

6. aroi jing

7. aroi

8. choei choei

9. moi koi aroi thaorai

10. mai aroi

These are responses to my wife's question of " aroi mai"?

Does anyone else know of anymore?

There are alsoa few in Isaarn which I use locally.

oh and negative....

Bor Saep

To answer RDN... Yes that is Isaan dialect ( tasty ?), can't comment on the Thai spelling though..thought "bor" maybe spelt with one of these "" but I'm just guessing.

Can also say

Saep Lai Bor

Saep Ee Lee Bor

Saep Yuu Bor

totster :o

Edited by Totster

oh and negative....

Bor Saep

To answer RDN...  Yes that is Isaan dialect ( tasty ?), can't comment on the Thai spelling though..thought "bor" maybe spelt with one of these "" but I'm just guessing.

Can also say

Saep Lai Bor

Saep Ee Lee Bor

Saep Yuu Bor

totster  :o

My g/f taught me saep bor / bor saep and saep yuu. She also taught me "Hon bor" - are you hot? Which goes down well with the Isaan girls you meet in most bars: "Falang poot Isaan!"

oh and negative....

Bor Saep

To answer RDN...  Yes that is Isaan dialect ( tasty ?), can't comment on the Thai spelling though..thought "bor" maybe spelt with one of these "" but I'm just guessing.

Can also say

Saep Lai Bor

Saep Ee Lee Bor

Saep Yuu Bor

totster  :D

My g/f taught me saep bor / bor saep and saep yuu. She also taught me "Hon bor" - are you hot? Which goes down well with the Isaan girls you meet in most bars: "Falang poot Isaan!"

You can tell them they are "ngam" also (beautiful).. :D

oops...:o:D

totster :D

Edited by Totster

Any chance of an explanation of these 2

1. khot aroi.

2. roi jung hoo

1. khot aroi. = โคตรอร่อย (โคตร is an impolite word, should be avoided to use, except talk to very close friends)

2. roi jung hoo = ร่อยจั่งฮู้ , หร้อยจั่งฮู้ (southern diarect) = อร่อยจังเลย

แซบบ่ = Is it delicious ? บ่ means no or can be used as a question word. บ่แซบ = not delicious.

ngan ngan (งั้น ๆ) = choei choei (เฉย ๆ) means not good and not bad.

พอกินได้ = just okay ( sometimes Thais say พอแดกได้ ,แดก is an impolite word mean eat.)

Any chance of an explanation of these 2

1. khot aroi.

2. roi jung hoo

1. khot aroi. = โคตรอร่อย (โคตร is an impolite word, should be avoided to use, except talk to very close friends)

แซบบ่ = Is it delicious ? บ่ means no or can be used as a question word. บ่แซบ = not delicious.

พอกินได้ = just okay ( sometimes Thais say พอแดกได้ ,แดก is an impolite word mean eat.)

I think "Saep por dee" can be used to say " Tastes ok "... I think "por dee" kind of means "halfway"... :o

totster :D

I was going to put that in but I cant write Thai and could'nt work out a good way to spell it in English.

Your right about it being imploite closest I can think of is "<deleted> tasty" but not quite as impolite .

I think "por dee" kind of means "halfway"
good enough/just enough ect, I usually use it when Thais ask how much money do I have/get a month... Por dee krap :o

"Hon bor" - are you hot? Which goes down well with the Isaan girls you meet in most bars: "Falang poot Isaan!"
Speaking Isaan really does make them happy and a little homesick. Same with most of the taxi drivers in Bangkok. I got one driver who refused to take the whole fare - just because I asked him in Isaarn where he was from and I knew the little village well, so we had a really good old chat about how Bangkok sucks!

Thanks for that K.Yoot.

Actually I use "koht aroi" sometimes to those Thais who come up to me in a restaurant saying, "aroi mai" in a stupid tone, as if to say, "I wonder if the farang can understand? More polite than saying "<deleted> off".

Even if I say this to well-to-do Thais, they laugh. Are they offended do you think when a farang uses words like this?

I love this saying, due to the famous song using it. Also it expresses how good it is with the tone.

พอแดกได้ , I have never heard this, I will listen out for it, or maybe try to use it to see the response.

I've found that Thais generally find it amusing when you break into Thai "slang". Khot aroi for food, "Khot Lawn" in the blazing sun, seems to always get an entertained response. I've been told by my Thai friends that the closest translation for "Khot" is indeed f**king, but I don't think it's that severe of a term in Thai. The closer I think is "ship-hai" at the end of a phrase which always gets a good laugh, but I'm fairly sure it's a lot more vulgar than "Khot".

I was at Chatuchak market a few weeks back complaining about the weather. My relatives show up and I promptly complained "Lawn Ship-hai!", at which a thai guy waiting next to us broke out laughing.

So, no, I've never gotten the impression anyone was offended, though.

พอแดกได้ , I have never heard this, I will listen out for it, or maybe try to use it to see the response.

I tried this one this evening. My wife was far from happy!!

LOL!!

Sorry, I wonder why you still be alive after telling your wife this phrase. :o

You shouldn't use this phrase with your friends and especially with your wife. It's kind of insulting. If you cook and you ask anyone who taste your food that how does it taste and they reply you " eatable" or "just okay"(พอแดกได้) that mean they are trying to be polite ( in fact the taste was suck.) :D

Actually I use "koht aroi" sometimes to those Thais who come up to me in a restaurant saying, "aroi mai" in a stupid tone, as if to say, "I wonder if the farang can understand? More polite than saying "<deleted> off".

Even if I say this to well-to-do Thais, they laugh. Are they offended do you think when a farang uses words like this?

"koht aroi" has two meanings depend on the tone of speaking. If you are with your friends and the taste of food is very delicious you can say "koht aroi loie wa"(โคตรอร่อยเลยว่ะ). Another meaning is not delicious at all (in the tone of sarcasm).
I've found that Thais generally find it amusing when you break into Thai "slang". Khot aroi for food, "Khot Lawn" in the blazing sun, seems to always get an entertained response. I've been told by my Thai friends that the closest translation for "Khot" is indeed f**king, but I don't think it's that severe of a term in Thai. The closer I think is "ship-hai" at the end of a phrase which always gets a good laugh, but I'm fairly sure it's a lot more vulgar than "Khot".

I was at Chatuchak market a few weeks back complaining about the weather. My relatives show up and I promptly complained "Lawn Ship-hai!", at which a thai guy waiting next to us broke out laughing.

So, no, I've never gotten the impression anyone was offended, though.

Wheneve Thais have heard any farangs used these impolite words, it sounds funny, because we thought that they don't know the meaning of them and how impolite they are. Of course you wouldn't have got the impression anyone was offened because of the reason I've mentioned. :D

Although, "ship-hai" and "Khot" are impolite words but Thais are used to using them. It's like swear words for Thais. And yes, "ship-hai" is a lot more vulgar than "Khot". I have no problem to use "Khot" but if I say "ship-hai" when my sister was around , she would admonish me and say this word would cause a bad luck. (I'm used to using it, though) :D

Wheneve Thais have heard any farangs used these impolite words, it sounds funny, because we thought  that they don't know the meaning of them and how impolite they are.

I never understand this logic! The fraction of farangs who learn Thai to the level of complexity of using slang, is pretty small. Anyone who learns this much, knows better than to go around parroting phrases they've overheard, without knowing what they mean....

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-05-06 21:34:22)

I tried this one this evening. My wife was far from happy!!

LOL!!

Sorry, I wonder why you still be alive after telling your wife this phrase. 

You shouldn't use this phrase with your friends and especially with your wife. It's kind of insulting. If you cook and you ask anyone who taste your food that how does it taste and they reply you " eatable" or "just okay"(พอแดกได้) that mean they are trying to be polite ( in fact the taste was suck.) 

OK, I think I have it now!

Up north they say

Aroi Det Dare

If they are speaking Kham Muang then it is "lam" or "lam tae tae." Aroi tae tae (your det dare) is a Chiang Mai city mix of Kham Muang and Central Thai.

I find that in the city that true Kham Muang is slowly becoming a local slang rather than the local language.

Up north they say

Aroi Det Dare

If they are speaking Kham Muang then it is "lam" or "lam tae tae." Aroi tae tae (your det dare) is a Chiang Mai city mix of Kham Muang and Central Thai.

I find that in the city that true Kham Muang is slowly becoming a local slang rather than the local language.

I agree. It's very difficult to preserve a strong local dialect in a major city though, especially considering how many people in Chiang Mai are not from the North... many Chiang Mai parents speak Central Thai to their kids instead of Kham Meuang, ensuring the kids' ability to become bilingual is circumscribed.