Southern Bus Terminal (sai-tai-mai?) To Pattaya

GungaDin

I don't think there are busses to Pattaya from there. (I could be wrong!) When I googled Pattaya was not one of the cities listed on the sites I looked at.

Busses DO go from Ekkamai and MorChit .. They leave more frequently from Ekkamai.

they go only to south (west cost) and west (kanchanaburi).

from sai tai mai you can take air con bus 556 for 35 baht by a motorway up to the airport and from here further to pattaya - the cheapest and fastest option.

Taking taxi from the west of the river to morchit or ekkamai will cost some 200baht and might take an hour through the traffic

As sort of noted by a previous reply, the Pattaya bus station is at the BTS Ekamai station, right on Sukhumvit. This is the EASTERN terminal, not the southern terminal, that is probably what confused you, since Pattaya is more or less south of BKK.

This maybe too late for the poster-but it may help others in the future.

yes-there are effectively now 3 Sai Thai terminals-the very oldest none of you will even know of or know to find.

There ARE direct 1st cl blue buses from the now newest Sai Thai to PTY-every 2 hrs, at (maybe-unsure) 6.30-then 8.30-10.30 etc-(you get it?)-till either 18.30 or 20.30. They run-as indicated as fast-via the ring road and the new southern ring+brdige-so thats pretty fast. No need at all to fuss enormously about nrs-as you buy the tikcet at a desk-it will all be written on and in newest ST with big screens listed.

In fact this route already ran from the now old Sai Thai in Pinklao and has moved over with the SaiThai move.

Again: I keep on wondering about the factual knowledge of expats that they so often bragg about.

IF that bus has just left and you want it fast- I would rather rec. to take the next VAN to Mochit=Northern terminal and then use the Next bus (preferably if its soon the motorway express) to PTY_is likely quicker as the 556+Swampy combo. The 556 takes some 90 mins to reach Swampy from SaiThai and does not run too often anymore-has 2 hour gaps too.

BTW: newest Sai Thai also has 4 direct ditto buses to RAYONG -same fast route out of town.

New Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai) to Pattaya Bus Terminal

Bus Route: New Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai) -- Bangna-Trad Rd. (Toll way) - Pattaya

Departure Times:

05:30 06:30

08:00 09:30

11:00 12:30

13:30 14:30

15:30 16:30

18:10 19:30

Bus Fare: 113 Thai Baht

Contact Number: 02-894-6363 02-894-6363

Booth 81

Platform 46

http://pattayabus.com/en/route_schedule.htm#5

Thanks to Allan... thaicbr

& others for trying to help. :)

edit: Here's an excellent website for travel info

Edited by GungaDin

As an aside, I believe Sai Tai Mai is now defunct and the new southern bus station is at Sai Tai Taling Chan...

Is there a simple Thai phrase to get you to the Southern bus station - Ekkamai and Mor Chit are well recognised by falang and taxi drivers alike, but this other one has always been a bit of a mystery to me.

I recall asking a taxi driver to go to the 'lot dooay san satarnee' / 'ow pai Hua Hin' 18 mo. ago and was surprised when we pitched up at this big suburban shopping center close to the western 'ring road' (don't know that road's official title), rather than the cramped (Ekkamai look-alike) station on a busy divided highway in Nonthaburi that I had been used to arriving at from Hua Hin. The bus was a painfully slow stopper - much slower than the one I had been used to getting in the reverse direction to Bangkok.

Would that have been sai tai taling chan - at the big suburban shopping centre?

And if so is 'sye tye challing chan' a good enough rendition to instruct a taxi driver? I may want to use that route again sometime - at least one couldn't possibly get oneself killed in transit on those old rattletrap buses - unlike the insane lot too option and the will-we-won't-we derail option.

now it's only one southern bus (for sometimes, shortly after the opening of the new, "shopping centre" like station, the old one was used as well for the shorter routes).

the official name is sai tai mai (on the sign in english it's called simply "bangkok bus terminal") - it's by the boromratchannani elevated motorway, by the crossing with puthamonthon sai 2 (just one junction before outer western ring road - wong wien rob nok or this part called kanchanapisek), in Talling Chan.

most of the buses to hua hin are fast and take some 2.5h - but occassionally there are the older buses, stopping at many stops on the route, and they take some 4.5h. Well worth to wait a few minutes for the fast one - price is the same.

Is there a simple Thai phrase to get you to the Southern bus station

'Sai Dtai (pronounce both the D and the T) Mai...if that doesn't work (it should), use 'Sa-tahn-nee Roat (like boat) Tour Taling Chan...if that doesn't work it's Eckamai or Morchit for you... :)

Update!

2 hours and 7 minutes SBS to Pattaya.

Newer coaches than the old stuff out of Ekkamai

There are only about 5 ticket booths at the main bus station at Pattaya,

one of them is clearly signed "Southern Bus Station"

Great service. :)

Is there a simple Thai phrase to get you to the Southern bus station

'Sai Dtai (pronounce both the D and the T) Mai...if that doesn't work (it should), use 'Sa-tahn-nee Roat (like boat) Tour Taling Chan...if that doesn't work it's Eckamai or Morchit for you... :)

I thought that a Lot Dtour - I am Isaan - (same as your Roat Tour?) means minvan - literally 'cupboard vehicle'. I usually refer to 'Lot doo-ay san' or 'Lot bat' when I want to go to a big bus station and it usually works. Thanks for confirming the name all the same :D