Earthing A Washing Machine

nattydread

There'll be an earth tag on the case of the back of the washer. Bash a nail in the ground and bung a bit of 2.5mm earth cable (green/yellow) from the tag to the nail. Bit rough but it'll save you getting a pisser until you get an earth in the socket.

When l had a new washer at my old house they delivered it and banged a nail in the floor and attached a wire. It doesn't do anything. Buy a 2 m copper rod from diy store, bash into the ground nearby (drill hole through Tiles) and connect a wire from the machine carcous to the rod.

What you should have said is it didn't do anything. It will actually if they bang it in far enough. I wouldn't recommend it (although posted above), but if you really must use it right now, it's better than nowt, although agree best to have a proper rod. Incidentally, even without the earth (not recommended), the drum is not live with mains (although could be if there's a fault)... it's the PD induced by the drum motor which needs to be dumped to earth.

Thinking that it's sorted & knowing that it's sorted are 2 entirely different things.

Good luck.

u are so right...........she has been out to the local electric shop and bought all the bits i told her to and the "electrician" was due around today but telephoned to say he couldnt come due to the death of his cousin........lets hope the guy didnt die from electric shock due to faulty wiring

when the washing machine was delivered and "installed" by Powerbuy,their "electrician" decided that this was the correct way to take a spur off the main cable to the washing machine socket.........it would be really funny if it wasnt so dangerous

post-92214-1266808126_thumb.jpg

Is the socket in a dry spot?

the socket is about 2 feet off the floor so should be ok but i will quiz her about the location being dry.............apparently when the electrician came around to size up the job he recommended cutting the earth rod down to 1 metre for easy installation LOL..........but by then i had instilled into her the importance of installing the whole 1.8 metres of it..........the poor little mite (all of 40kg) has been on her knees digging a big hole to sink the rod as the ground has a lot of stone in it........bless her

Edited by nattydread