Passenger Boats Btw World Trade Centre & Pratunam

healthcaretaker

I used to see maniy people rushing for the passenger boats just by the bridge after World Trade Centre and before the Amari Watergate & Pratunam junction.

I have wanted to experience these small river canals trip. Last time I tried to ask where they go but the workers don't speak English and the service stopped after that at around 6 pm.

Anyone know where those boats can go ? Any interesting places to go that I can make use of them ?

Thanks.

Try this link,

http://www.bangkok.com/attraction-waterway...-saen-saeb.html

Never been on the western link, but the eastern link goes all the way to Wat Sri Bun Rueang passing Asoke, Ekami, Khlong Tan and the football stadium (Rajamangla) as well as Ramkhamhaeng University.

Probably the only place of interest to go to would be The Mall Bang Kapi, fare from Pratunam is either 20 or 22 baht and takes about 30-35 minutes depending on time of day.

Dont sit at the back of the boat, unless you enjoy inhaling diesel fumes, most Thais tend to sit in the middle of the seats rather than the outside edge, they avoid the sun and being soaked by the water.

Best have a look at the boat map and just say where you want to go, try to give small notes only, I wouldnt hand over a 1,000 or 500 baht note, not for fear of being ripped off, they probably wont have change of such a large note.

I was complaining to a Thai friend that I couldn't understand why the boats were in such a hurry that they couldn't stop long enough to allow passengers to comfortably and safely get on and off. She looked at me oddlyand pointed out that the name of the boat service translates as "hurry up boat"

Here is your information and prices (I ride this boat everyday to my work,

From WTC you can go as far as bangkapi (2 stops after the mall is the end station (18 baht). before those stps are the university, the mall big C, and a few others, they also stop at asoke, nana, thong lor, ekkamai (prices range from 18 baht to 16, 14, 12, and 8 baht) depending on how far your going,

They are correct, dont sit near the sideor you will get wet (sometimes) and its foul smelling water. sit in the front or stand near the engine, No there are no fumes from the engine or smoke like some have said

hope this helps

I think that the western route is the cheapest and fastest route to the old downtown, and Khao San Road. The route is from Pratunam to Phan Fa Lilat (the intersection closest to the Golden Mount). Rather than going to or from Pratunam, I suggest connecting with it from its closest point on the BTS. From Ratchathewi Station, exit at the Asia hotel, go south over the bridge, and wait at the boat stop here. (zoom in to see more clearly)

Make sure to take the western boat, once you are on the boat and the ticket seller wants to know where your destination is, tell them "Pan Fah Lee-lat". It should be 8 Baht, and when everyone else gets off the boat, you know you are there because it is the last stop. From there you can get a bus to get closer to Khao San, or just walk around and see the sights of the old city.

Personally, I like to sit at the end of the boat, in the center of the last row. If there aren't many passengers, I'll sit on the back rest so that I'm high enough to get a breeze, but since I'm in the middle, the spray of water is minimal to non-existent.

To get back, get on the boat, tell them "Sap-Han Hoo-wah Chahng" or "Mah Boon Krong" to get to the BTS, (8 Baht), or "Prah Too Nahm" to get to Pratunam, (10 Baht).

(for pronunciation, when I write "ah" I am making a soft "a" sound, like "ahhhh" as in "ball")

Edited by Meridian007

Thank you so much. You guys are wonderful !! I wonder most of you are Thais or foreigners ?

I will definitely try it this trip. Just few more questions.

How is bobe market like ?

Can I take the ride from from the eastern end all the way to the western end(or the other way) in one ride ?

What time will the last boat start at either ends ?

Beside these route all mentioned above that pass Pratunam, is there any others in Bangokok ?

Thanks again.

Thank you so much. You guys are wonderful !! I wonder most of you are Thais or foreigners ?

I will definitely try it this trip. Just few more questions.

How is bobe market like ?

Can I take the ride from from the eastern end all the way to the western end(or the other way) in one ride ?

What time will the last boat start at either ends ?

Beside these route all mentioned above that pass Pratunam, is there any others in Bangokok ?

Thanks again.

No problem, I'm a foreigner who has been here for around three years, so I've gotten to know BKK! :)

Bobae market is the second-to-last stop on the western route. I find it interesting, but only useful for you if you want large quantities of the stuff you can find a Chatuchak and other markets. Otherwise, their prices are no better.

The western route meets the eastern route at Pratunam, so you have to change boats there. I don't know as much about the eastern route, but I've used it once or twice to get out to Ramkamheng and The Mall Bang Kapi.

I think the western route ends sometime around 9pm, but I'm not sure.

There used to be many khlong taxi routes, but to my knowledge they have all been discontinued since most people use buses now. It's a pity because I think the boats are a faster way to get around instead of sitting in the constant traffic of Bangkok.

The only thing similar is the express boat service on the Chao Phraya river. It's a great way to go north or south, and the website for the boat service is here.

Enjoy!

Edited by Meridian007

take western to the old town (you can walk around).

the eastern is longer and goes almost to the suburbs, you can see different environment, architucture.

take both of them - each leg is no more than 30 minutes. Great and cheap entertainment

I last rode it in 2006 at songkran from the Golden Mount end to Nana. Cost was 13 baht.

The boat was longer than the pier at Nana, so I had to clamber onto the side of the boat, then jump onto the pier as the boat pulled away.

the eastern is longer and goes almost to the suburbs, you can see different environment, architucture.

take both of them - each leg is no more than 30 minutes. Great and cheap entertainment

Agreed. Try both, they each give a different experience. Do some planning on Google Maps beforehand, (if you're OCD like me), or just jump on and off at different interesting places. It's up to you!

When I first came to Bangkok, and I couldn't speak any Thai, I would bring along a business card of the building I was staying at. It had an address and directions in Thai on it. That gave me a great sense of freedom, as language stopped being a barrier, I could just jump on a bus, get completely lost, explore for an afternoon, and still get home at the end of the day.

I spent many of my early days here like that, in semi-retirement. It's enjoyable, but only for a couple of months, until you've seen everything. :)

If you want to be really courageous, try getting out to Buddha Monthon Park without using a taxi! It's a beautiful park on the outskirts of town, but it is really difficult to get to on the buses. It is possible however, and I think it has become easier with the Wongwian Yai extension, (there's your clue, I don't want to give it all away, it could be an adventure!), just don't forget to have a way to take a taxi home if you get lost! :D

(That might actually be a great idea for a new thread on here, get everyone to post an interesting place with no instructions on how to get there, then members who are new to Bangkok and looking for an adventure can take the challenge, and post their story. It would give new people a chance to figure out the area, and how to get around in it, and would probably create some great adventure stories!)

Agreed. Try both, they each give a different experience. Do some planning on Google Maps beforehand, (if you're OCD like me), or just jump on and off at different interesting places. It's up to you!

When I first came to Bangkok, and I couldn't speak any Thai, I would bring along a business card of the building I was staying at. It had an address and directions in Thai on it. That gave me a great sense of freedom, as language stopped being a barrier, I could just jump on a bus, get completely lost, explore for an afternoon, and still get home at the end of the day.

I spent many of my early days here like that, in semi-retirement. It's enjoyable, but only for a couple of months, until you've seen everything. :)

If you want to be really courageous, try getting out to Buddha Monthon Park without using a taxi! It's a beautiful park on the outskirts of town, but it is really difficult to get to on the buses. It is possible however, and I think it has become easier with the Wongwian Yai extension, (there's your clue, I don't want to give it all away, it could be an adventure!), just don't forget to have a way to take a taxi home if you get lost! :D

(That might actually be a great idea for a new thread on here, get everyone to post an interesting place with no instructions on how to get there, then members who are new to Bangkok and looking for an adventure can take the challenge, and post their story. It would give new people a chance to figure out the area, and how to get around in it, and would probably create some great adventure stories!)

Sound intersting. Never know of such a park. Not difficult to reach, there are buses from Vistory Monument and Silom Road :D

I will go if I have enough time this trip.

I read about a proposal that Thailand may build the largest Buddhist Park or temple but that is quite recent; and someone told me about a Buddhist prayer hall that is the largest in the world which is already ready and in use.....wonder if they are related to this park ?

I'm not sure if Buddha Monthon is the same park, (I remember reading about this too, you might be right, but I can't remember), but it is a great place to relax. Here is a little information about it, I visit it a few times a year.

If you take a bus there, be careful that it is going specifically to the park, or that it runs along the road called "Buddhamonthon Sai Sii". I know that many of the buses go to Sai Sam, but maybe they've started going further! I was going to suggest taking the minibus from Wongwian Yai that goes out to Mahidol University, and then taking a bus from there (it's nearby). (Oops, now I've given away the route. I guess it's okay though, if you've already found an alternate!) :)

------------EDIT----------

I just noticed a thread in the Thailand videos forum that pertains to this thread. Someone took video of the pier I spoke about above:

Rather than going to or from Pratunam, I suggest connecting with it from its closest point on the BTS. From Ratchathewi Station, exit at the Asia hotel, go south over the bridge, and wait at the boat stop here. (zoom in to see more clearly)

The video is taken from Saphan Hua Chang pier to Pratunam, which is east rather than the western route that I've suggested. It is also approached from MBK rather than Rachatewi BTS, but it is a good way to visualize where the pier is, and what to do.

Edited by Meridian007