Big Fire In Sanpakoy

KevinHunt

3 things for ye, Sir KH.

1. Thanks for the vid. I came within a few blocks of the fire, but wasn't in the mood to go and rubberneck - not like me at all. I opted to go home and change out of work clothes instead.

2. Thai fire trucks.... they leak as much water as they put out, always gives me a (sad) chuckle.

3. I am also amazed that Thai structures which seem so full of cement and things that wouldn't burn always go up like such a box of matches. In the US where houses are all wooden 2x4's and dry wall, giving plenty of air pockets to fuel the burning wood, it kind of makes sense that they do. I wonder what fuels such hearty fires here in the land of flaming cement boxes ???

3. I am also amazed that Thai structures which seem so full of cement and things that wouldn't burn always go up like such a box of matches. In the US where houses are all wooden 2x4's and dry wall, giving plenty of air pockets to fuel the burning wood, it kind of makes sense that they do. I wonder what fuels such hearty fires here in the land of flaming cement boxes ???

probably due to the contents inside, most probably plastic chairs and furnishings would be my guess

Looking at the video; surprised to see so many brainless farang getting in the way just gawping.

If there's a fire and you can't assist no need to go and look and gloat over someone elses tragedy.

There were about 3 brainless farangs (present company excluded) and 300 extremely intelligent Thais gawping. Just for the record, you understand.

Looking at the video; surprised to see so many brainless farang getting in the way just gawping.

If there's a fire and you can't assist no need to go and look and gloat over someone elses tragedy.

There were about 3 brainless farangs (present company excluded) and 300 extremely intelligent Thais gawping. Just for the record, you understand.

The Thai audience is a standard feature, hence I didn't mention, but same goes for them!

The Thai audience is a standard feature, hence I didn't mention, but same goes for them!

Wow, 3 farang is a huge number indeed. How did your infinite wisdom determine that they/we were all in the way? Your perception is so incredibly acute that you were clearly able to pick up so much more than I who was actually there. Tell me more oh great one.

"...you can't assist no need to go and look and gloat over someone elses tragedy"

So I guess you don't recommend any sort of entertainment such as watching movies or live music either? "If you can't help, you should not be looking." I will always remember your great teachings. Thank you for enlightening us all.

Edited by blakegeee

Have lived in the area for little over a year now and you really do not see that many Farang there at all apart from the occasional person at the market. There is not much tourist/eatery/bar wise at all....so 3 Farang is a crowd and a half unless its a boxing night.

Wifey rang me after she became aware of the fire, she and her neighbourhood freinds were quite upset about the fire. Certainly not in awe of it, just really sad that it had happened. The reaction by all actually suprised me. There is no high society people round most of the area, and to call some of the housing "modest" would be an overstatement. Clearly for those living in the area there is a definite attachment to this temple, and they are proud of "their" temple. They are actually quite down and sullen about it...so basically I would not put down all the Thais as gawkers in this case.

I am also amazed that Thai structures which seem so full of cement and things that wouldn't burn always go up like such a box of matches.

There's usually a fair amount of wood in some of the older buildings and particularly those within a temple complex.

:)

Thats the Wat near the British Consulate right? I saw the smoke really close by from Imm eco Hostel's grounds. I wasnt sure what it was until the driver taking me to Payap told me a wat was on fire. Thats so sad >_<!
Wrong. It is Wat San Pakoy, which coincidentally is near San Pakoy market, just off Charoen Muang Rd. I think the main Wat was undamaged but the monks quarters were completely destroyed.